Photo editing is the process of modifying a photo by focusing on the image and highlighting its key aspects, transforming it from an ordinary to a truly phenomenal and magnificent photo. Today, there are a lot of photo editing software, both free, open-source, and paid, commercial software that one can choose. So the upcoming article about free photo editing software for pc will indeed give you myriad choices to choose from, including GIMP photo editing software. Read on to learn about each software with its detailed features.
Table of Contents
- Best Free Photo Editor for Windows 10 PC Download
- 1. Skylum Luminar
- 2. GIMP Photo Editor
- 3. Adobe Photoshop
- 4. Adobe Lightroom
- 5. Photo Pos Pro
- 6. Capture One Express
- 7. Pixlr
- 8. InPixio
- 9. Fotor
- 10. PhotoScape X
- 11. RawTherapee
- 12. Dark Table
- 13. Photopea
- 14. Canva
- 15. DXO Photo Lab
- 16. BeFunky
- 17. Paint.Net
- 18. PhotoDirector Essential
- 19. Movavi Picverse
- 20. Microsoft Photos
- 21. Photolemur
- 22. LightZone
- 23. Aurora HDR
- 24. Polarr
- 25. ON1 Photo RAW
- 26. Corel PaintShop Pro
- 27. Pixteller
- 28. PicMonkey
Best Free Photo Editor for Windows 10 PC Download
But before we move to our list of best free photo editing software for pc, let us understand what editing is and why it is required. Editing can be symbolized by putting the best foot forward. Who in the world wouldn’t want that? In other words, sorting and sifting to sieve out the unwanted by correcting, modifying, condensing, and organizing with an intent to produce correct, consistent, accurate, and complete work is called Editing. So in this article, we will concentrate on the best free photo editing software available for Windows 10 below.
1. Skylum Luminar
The Luminar AI version of this software is available for free and is one of the best feature-rich free photo editing software for PC. It is available both for photography professionals and amateurs alike.
- Luminar software is quite easy to use.
- It has a clean and innate interface.
- It includes 40 filters.
- It has a crop, cloning, and red-eye remover tools.
- The smart contrast feature adds a source of light.
- This free photo editing software for PC also allows the insertion of new objects and erases unwanted objects.
- It also supports image editing using files like RAW, JPEG, TIFF, PSD, and PNG.
- This software also enables sharing via email and social media after editing the album/photos.
- You can download it for free, and it is also available at a one-time, flat fee on others with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Also Read: 28 Best File Copy Software for Windows
2. GIMP Photo Editor
GIMP, in its expanded form, is known as the GNU Image Manipulation Program. The GIMP photo editing software is a limited-budget professional software and is one of the most powerful, open-source photo editing tools.
- The GIMP photo editing software offers basic, specialized, and advanced image editing cum retouching tools, which help convert images into different formats.
- With its in-built file manager, customizable user interface, and a range of other features, The GIMP photo editing software is a great entry-level alternative to Photoshop and Lightroom.
- It can transfer files to various formats like JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and more besides opening an unlimited number of images, at one time, with just one click of the mouse.
- Using The GIMP photo editing software, you can add your tools for your different needs.
- It helps manage colors proficiently other than providing touch-ups to the digital photographs taken from a camera.
- The wide range of its filters helps improve image quality swiftly, in no time. You can also open and edit PSD files using GIMP photo editing software.
- It works splendidly on Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.
The only observable drawback of GIMP photo editing software is the need for extra training and lessons to master its use for photo editing.
3. Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Photoshop is free photo editing software for PC that has been the first choice for photo editors from beginners to professional level users. It is a reliable and proficient software.
- This photo editing software has a clean and smart user interface.
- It offers a wide range of tools for image retouching, color correction, image restoration, design, and digital drawing.
- It has an auto fix and enhanced functions.
- It also has the Resize, White Balance, Saturation, Crop & Rotate, Sharpen, Exposure, Red Eye, and Soft-Focus editing tools.
- The free version of this photo editing tool is still one of the most popular software for expert or professional users.
Also Read: 20 Best Cell Phone Tracking App
4. Adobe Lightroom
Adobe Lightroom is one of the world’s most popular and the best free photo editing software for PC due to the following reasons:
- It has a simple, beginner-friendly interface.
- Adobe Lightroom offers a wide range of layouts that allows you to view, download, or add photos on the web.
- It also aids in organizing the photos.
- It enables easy storing and positioning of images inside the program.
- The batch processing feature pre-arranges multiple images and enables you to quickly search for the desired photos.
- Moreover, it modifies the photos using lens correction, split toning effects, and other basic adjustments.
- It is best used for image color correction.
- Adobe Lightroom has a host of fantastic features like brush and gradient adjustments, fixing and blurring tools, presets and professional filters, lens-based corrections, and customizable sliders.
5. Photo Pos Pro
Photo Pos Pro is a powerful and easy-to-use free photo editing software for PC. Some of its features that are loved by the users are:
- It has a robust set of tools.
- Photo Pos Pro has on offer a highly functional, simple, and friendly user interface.
- It helps to remove unwanted objects.
- This application allows you to create, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos.
- You can work upon fixing your images using color management and retouching tools.
- The retouch mask feature can easily fix or enhance your poor photos.
- It supports RAW, GIF, PSD, JPEG, TIFF, and some rarely used EMF or WMF and other file formats.
- It enables you to superimpose any undesired, earlier installed filters on the picture.
Also Read: 15 Best Free Email Providers for Small Business
6. Capture One Express
Capture One is a free photo editing software for PC made by the camera company Phase One. You can find its features down below:
- This tool is available at a cost, but its Express version is a simpler and scaled-down.
- It offers an abundance of features.
- You can easily manage the color of a photograph by increasing or decreasing the lightness and darkness with the help of this software.
- Capture One can edit the color of your skin and also take black and white photos.
- It stores the images in the Capture One catalog system.
- Furthermore, it also enables the clubbing of photos.
- It allows you to sort your images manually.
- This editing software enables easy tracking of images.
- It uses a RAW image editor.
Pixlr free photo editing software for PC enables photo editing directly online from your browser. It has two versions, the Pixlr E and the Pixlr X versions.
- It also offers to download an alternative to a desktop or mobile app.
- It has a collection of stickers, borders, icons, decorative texts, and cool filters.
- It also offers an advanced collection of transformation tools.
- It can create bright and lively photos.
- This editor can open an image from desktop or URLs in any of the PSD, JPEG, PNG, PXD, SVG formats, and more.
Also Read: How to Cut Video in Windows 10 using VLC
The free version of InPixio free photo editing software for PC enables image editing but with limited features compared to the Inpixio photo studio 10, which comes at a cost.
- You can erase or cut any image with ease and remove the undesired object from the picture.
- It helps manage the color and adjusts the exposure by increasing or decreasing the lightness or darkness of the image.
- InPixio uses the clone stamp tool to paint one part of an image over another part of the same image.
- It also enables the restoration and repair of old pictures.
- Using creative filters and textures can make skin smoother, brighten teeth, eliminate dark circles, fix red-eye, retouch photos to give the image a vintage or cinematic look, and add a new perspective to your image.
- It can even make photo collages easily.
Fotor is a cloud-based, one-click, online free photo editing software for PC. Some of its features are:
- It helps in the beautification of the face using filters, image touch-ups, and a wide range of effects.
- Its simple-to-use interface enables HDR.
- This software enables the saving of your incomplete image to further work upon the image at a later time.
- It offers a wide variety of fonts, stickers, shapes.
- You can frame your photos using the available design templates and make collages.
- You can share your images on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites.
- It enables online editing of PNG and JPEG files.
- It also offers an offline desktop photo editor version with RAW support.
Also Read: 16 Best Ad Blocking Extension for Chrome
10. PhotoScape X
PhotoScape X is free photo editing software for pc that has a range of innate tools and a whole set of advanced tools, making it an all-in-one editing software for the use of both amateurs and professionals.
- Using the mask, layer, and color management tools, one can easily change the background, recolor, remove noise or haze or straighten an image.
- You can create an immaculate image using retouching tools.
- Using this software, you can edit several images through batch editing.
- This software enables to zoom, resize an image and make a perfect image using a variety of filters and effects.
- You can couple images vertically or horizontally and frame your images from a permutation of 290+ frame sizes in more than 240 different shapes.
- You can make collages, cut-outs, GIFs, and more, depending on your requirements.
- Depending upon your ease of use, this software provides a choice of languages like English, French, Dutch, and many more.
The open-source, RawTherapee software is amongst the list of some of the best photo editor for pc windows 10 free download. This editor is most suited for creative-minded people due to the following reasons:
- The user interface of this software enables access to a variety of basic tools, tabs, and icons without any difficulty.
- The interface enables you to manage the images by adjusting the image exposure, toning, and adjusting the image sharpness.
- It also enables highlighting images, shadows, fixing pixel requirements, and reducing noise.
- This software enables the creation of predetermined, user-definable setups/ configurations.
- It is accessible in more than 21 languages.
- It is reliable due to its open-source nature, just like gimp photo editing software.
- It permits you to send photos to GIMP software, saving the files in PNG and JPEG formats.
- You can edit images in batches, enabling batch editing and saving precious time and effort.
Also Read: 18 Best Tools for Hacking
12. Dark Table
Dark Table is a free photo editing software for pc that is open-source and convenient to use. It also can be used as a RAW photo editor to touch up raw images for the following reasons:
- It is available in more than 21 languages.
- It allows you to manage color without any hassles.
- You can increase the brightness, contrast, white balance, curves, levels, Velvia, and saturation using the color and tone correction tool.
- It allows you to crop and rotate an image.
- This software is a very handy tool for fixing defects like Sharpen, noise, red-eye removal, spot, and Haze Removal. Furthermore, using shadows, highlights, Watermarks, Grain, Bloom, and Soften features.
- This editing software also helps to fix visual imperfections.
- It also assists in cleaning up the pixels or those little residual bits of color left behind by the other images.
PhotoPea is a photo editor for pc windows 10 free download and does not require uploading files onto the server, enabling completely offline use for basic or advanced editing work.
- This Windows 10 editor aids several file formats like PSD, XCF, CDR, etc.
- The software works well, both for vectors as well as raster graphics.
- PhotoPea photo editor for Windows 10 supports various types of brush tools like an eraser, Clone Stamp, Dodge, Burn, Smudge, and Sponge.
- It uses two kinds of brush shapes, i.e., circular or pattern brush shapes.
- This free editor enables working with different layers, masks, smart objects, adjustments, filters, layer styles, etc.
- Creating animated GIF images using different layers of a document aligns image elements using a grid and writes text on a curve shape.
- It helps to resize images, create illustrations, process photographs, design webpages, and a lot more.
Also Read: How to Photoshop Convert to RGB
Canva is a good photo editor for pc windows 10 free download that is preferred by graphic designers. We have listed its features down below:
- Canva comes with a wide range of photo editing tools that helps editors to visualize data and make designs using graphs.
- It has a simple user interface.
- This software enables you to find frames, shapes, lines, illustrations, and grids to design, share, print presentations, business cards, logos, and a lot more.
- It enables the addition of text to your images.
- It enables image enhancement using many effects, textures, stickers, and badges.
- Canva has more than 8,000 professionally designed templates, photos, cards, and icons.
- It gives you the flexibility to apply various layouts, text, and backgrounds to your image.
- Moreover, it helps in making exceptional collages and greeting cards.
- Canva enables you to share, publish or download HD graphs.
15. DXO Photo Lab
DxO Photo Lab efficiently manages the color of an image. This photo editor for pc windows 10 free download is popular among its userbase due to the following reasons:
- DxO Photo Lab uses eight separate channels, including orange and purple, to help create natural-looking photographs.
- It has a custom-made user interface.
- It helps to brighten up the image without creating a halo effect.
- Besides, it allows the transition of RAW images to JPG easily.
- It not only works well on Windows OS but also manages macOS equally well.
- DxO Photo Lab offers numerous auto-correction brush tools.
- It also enables the geometric correction of images.
- You can edit images in a batch.
- DxO Photo Lab can edit RAW files and view images on the full screen.
- The noise removal tool helps eliminate noise.
- You can apply filters to balance exposure in any photo.
Also Read: Top 15 Best Free IPTV Players
BeFunky, a photo editor for pc windows 10 free download, can crop, edit, adjust exposure, and enhance the color of images, making it a commendable tool for Windows 10 PCs. Following are a few of its features that we love:
- It gives a distinct look to your photographs, making collages.
- You can retouch your images removing the background of any photograph.
- It enables batch editing directly from the web.
- You can resize your photographs and create graphic designs effortlessly using this software.
- BeFunky offers a lot of stock images that can be downloaded from the stocks in the software.
- It has a wide range of icons and vector graphics and many useful editing tools.
- This tool allows you to save your work if some other important work has cropped up and can continue it later.
Paint.Net was developed as an alternative to Microsoft Paint, and it is a photo editor for pc windows 10 free download.
- It offers a clear and customizable user interface.
- It enables you to design logos and banners.
- Paint.Net also enables the use of rudimentary image retouching and color correction functions.
- One can also have online discussions, consultations and use tutorials.
- It enables fractal effects.
- You can rework any part of the photograph at any stage of editing.
- You can work with a huge number of effects and filters.
- Paint.Net is well-organized software for the use of amateur and professional photo editors.
Also Read: 12 Best Audio Editing Apps for Android
18. PhotoDirector Essential
PhotoDirector, the all-in-one photo editor for pc windows 10 free download, allows artists of all levels of expertise to dive in and convert their photographs into pieces of art.
- For a quick, shareable output, use the automated slideshow builder to merge photographs and add background music.
- For expert-grade projects, it efficiently manages complex, layered edits.
- The platform is simple and easy to use.
- You may use PhotoDirector to sort and organize tag names, locations, and other metadata in batches.
- PhotoDirector makes use of AI facial recognition to properly categorize photographs, search for images using the platform’s calendar structure, and personalize hierarchical tags.
- It comes with a plethora of photo editing and alteration capabilities.
- Use masks, layer filtering, blur effects, alignment, and the layer history tool to go back to earlier modifications.
- It enables 360° editing to be tried out.
19. Movavi Picverse
Movavi Picverse has gained its name on one crucial feature: eliminating undesirable items from your photos fast and effortlessly.
- Clearing the background of your images is simple, thanks to the simplistic design.
- Movavi Picverse also provides a more straightforward alternative to AI-assisted background reduction.
- It comes with a restricted set of tools.
- Crop, rotate, level, and resize capabilities allow you to change the size and position of your photo, as well as add aesthetic effects like sepia, black and white, and oil painting.
- You may subscribe to the Photo Studio package for extra features; however, this premium version requires a monthly membership.
- It allows you to adjust your photo’s color, brightness, contrast, and saturation manually, use Magic Enhance for one-click alterations, or add text, titles, and captions for totally personalized images.
Also Read: How to Edit Videos in Google Photos for Android
20. Microsoft Photos
Windows 10 has a built-in picture editing program called Photos. Few people use it for anything other than viewing images. However, Microsoft’s Photos program includes several useful functions.
- You can organize your images into collections, albums, and folders with this software.
- It offers a great people tagging function that organizes your images using facial recognition, making it easy to search for photos of certain individuals on your PC.
- Crop, rotation, photo enhancing filters, basic light and color tweaks, blemish removal, and red-eye correction are among the editing tools available in Photos.
- You can share your images via email and social media using the free Photos app.
Photolemur is another program that allows you to modify photos completely automatically. It’s ideal for novices, amateurs, and those who don’t have the time to edit.
- It uses Artificial Intelligence algorithms to evaluate photographs and makes complicated modifications in the blink of an eye.
- It will improve the colors in your images, correct exposure, reduce haziness, alter color temperature, recover details, and correct lens flaws, among other things.
- Portraits are also automatically enhanced by the software, which smooths skin, removes imperfections, enlarges eyes, and whitens teeth.
- Batch processing, which allows you to import and repair several photographs at once, is one of Photolemur’s most valuable tools.
Also Read: Top 10 Best Kodi Linux Distro
LightZone is a digital picture editor that is free and open-source just like gimp photo editing software. It was created as commercial software by Light Crafts, which is now defunct.
- The free photo editor was created with RAW files in mind.
- LightZone allows you to alter photographs without destroying them.
- Software alterations are made to a duplicate of the shot while the original is left untouched.
- Even if you’ve begun a fresh editing session, you can always undo modifications after they’ve been saved.
- ZoneMapper, White Balance, Color Balance, Sharpen, Relight, Clone, and more basic and expert picture altering tools are included.
- Styles, which are combinations of picture modifications that may be applied to one or more photographs, are one of LightZone’s most intriguing features.
- There are several built-in styles, as well as the option to build your own.
23. Aurora HDR
Aurora HDR is another fan-favorite free photo editing software for pc from Skylum. High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography is the focus of Aurora HDR.
- With the use of Artificial Intelligence, the software automatically aligns and blends numerous exposures to generate a single tone-mapped image.
- It provides a tone map for single-exposure images, allowing you to obtain great outcomes by bringing out more information to work with.
- Dodge & Burn, Denoise, Tone Curve, LUT Mapping, HSL, and a Polarizing filter are among the over 20 basic tools available for perfecting your HDR photographs.
- It also has a variety of automated tools, including HDR Denoise, HDR Smart Structure, and HDR Clarity, that detect and remedy problems in your photographs automatically.
Also Read: Best 9 Funny Photo Effects Apps
Polarr is a web-based application that provides a comprehensive set of advanced picture editing features in a clean, fully configurable interface. And due to this, it is known as the most reliable photo editor for pc windows 10 free download.
- Color, Light, Detail, Noise, LUT, and other parameters may be used to make alterations to the entire shot.
- With the use of Depth, Brush, Luminance, Radial, and other masks, you may modify particular sections in your photographs.
- It has a lot of blending modes, filters, and lifelike effects that you can use to make your images more creative.
- It enables you to develop and share your filters and presets with the rest of the world.
25. ON1 Photo RAW
For Mac and Windows, ON1 offers picture editing software that includes everything you need to organize, edit, and share your photographs with photographers.
- It’s simple to download and install, and it comes with a free trial!
- It even took the place of having to find your own tutorial videos.
- To edit your RAW photographs, this tool does not require you to upload them.
- It’s a lightning-quick program.
- It comes with a variety of Stackable filters.
- Custom settings are available.
- It allows you to make changes and previews in real-time.
- You can download it on any device.
Also Read: Best 15 Free Christmas Live Wallpaper Apps for Android
26. Corel PaintShop Pro
Corel PaintShop Pro is one of the most user-friendly picture editing software alternatives available online for those looking for a quick yet efficient way to improve their photos.
- It comes with a one-time cost that starts at around $60.
- You may select from a variety of textures, backgrounds, and brushes.
- The streamlined workspace accelerates your editing workflow by presenting the greatest picture editing tools in an easy-to-understand style.
- The workspace is touch-friendly, making it ideal for tablet picture editing.
- Layers and masks are included.
- For choices, it provides several refined brushes.
- SmartClone technology is used.
- It allows you to modify 360-degree photos.
Pixteller is a free online photo editor that allows you to make animated films and photos, like GIMP photo editing software.
- It allows you to create animated movies, banners, social media posts, and video tales, which you can then export as videos or gifs.
- Allows you to choose from a variety of great free images and illustrations to use in your new image creation.
- With a single click, you may resize your photographs to multiple format sizes.
- Without affecting the aspect ratio, you may resize photographs to any size.
- Preset photo effects are available to enhance your image.
- You may save your images in the highest possible quality as PNG or JPG files.
Also Read: 5 Best FPS Counter For Windows 10
PicMonkey is a Windows 10 app that allows you to make images, social media graphics, Facebook covers, and other things. It is one of the best photo editor for pc windows 10 free download.
- This program has a sophisticated text tool, as well as effects, vector drawings, and other features.
- This program includes over a hundred templates for social media posts, cards, and flyers, among other things.
- Your images may simply be embellished with graphics and text.
- It features around 6000 textures and images, as well as 100 typefaces.
- You may use blank collage templates to put together various photos.
- 16 Best Free File Rename Software for Windows
- 8 Best Phone Cleaner Apps for Android
- 29 Best AI Chatbots Online
- 20 Best Photo Editing Apps for Android in 2022
To conclude the discussion, it needs to be emphasized that photo editing and photo manipulation must not be confused to be the same. Though we can say that they are two faces of the same coin, photo editing is a complex and more demanding job involving an eye for the smallest of details, refining, and addition of anything more needed for the clarity of the work. Hope this article helped end your search for free photo editing software for Windows PC with details about gimp photo editing software. We would love to hear your suggestions and feedback regarding this article. Stay tuned to TechCult for more tech-related articles.