Before we delve into the list of the best ad blocking extensions for chrome, let us learn about Chrome and adblockers. Chrome can be understood as a cross-platform web browser developed by Google to surf the internet and browse websites. It was first released on Microsoft Windows in 2008 and subsequently ported to Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android as a default browser. Read below to read our list of top best free AdBlock for Chrome.
- Best Free Ad Blocking Extensions for Chrome
- 1. AdBlock
- 2. AdBlock Plus
- 3. uBlock Origin
- 4. Ghostery
- 5. Adlock
- 6. AdGuard AdBlocker
- 7. AdBlocker Ultimate
- 8. Fair AdBlocker
- 9. Poper Blocker: Pop up blocker for Chrome
- 10. Comodo Adblocker
- 11. Hola Ad Remover
- 12. Total Adblock
- 13. uBlock
- 14. Stopza Adblocker
- 15. Hulu Ad Skipper
- 16. Windscribe
- Pro Tip: Switch to Opera
Best Free Ad Blocking Extensions for Chrome
Building on its reputation as a strong performance browser, it enjoys an approximate 65% market share on Personal Computers, Tablets, and smartphones combined. Having access to such a big market, it became one of the best sources for marketers to reach their products and services to the people. Hence, in order to maintain its reputation of being a strong user interface, it began to look for the best AdBlock Chrome extensions to ensure the safety and privacy of its users.
Adblock free chrome extension is considered to be one of the best ad blocking extensions for Chrome thereby, winning the trust of the majority of its users worldwide because of the following reasons:
- It is an open-source, free of cost online Adblocker
- It is one of the best ad blocking extensions for Chrome as well as Firefox, Edge, and Safari.
- This AdBlocker helps improve the browsing speed of your browser.
- It enables ad-blocking for iOS users by using this link.
- It enables blocking of Advertisements and pop-ups for Android users too.
- It blocks the Ads as per the available default blocklist allowing only non-intrusive ads which do not affect your privacy.
- It enables you to prepare or customize your list giving you the flexibility to block or subscribe to any new list of available Ads as per your choice in keeping with the Acceptable Ads initiative. In case, you wish to see no ads at all, then the Acceptable Ads policy has to be foregone.
- It blocks ads, malware, and pop-ups on various social media sites like Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- It also helps to remove unwanted social networking links protecting against potential malware attacks.
- It keeps updating its software regularly in keeping with the latest internet ad delivery methods making it one of the best ad-blocking programs for Chrome.
The only perceivable drawback of AdBlock is that it is considered to be a little resource heavy, especially if you open many tabs at the same time otherwise it is amongst the most preferred ad-blocking programs for Chrome.
2. AdBlock Plus
Adblock Plus is one of the best and most popular ad blockers available today. It is in itself an independent ad blocking service for Chrome users. It is highly acknowledged as one of the best AdBlock Chrome extension because:
- It is available for use by anyone and everyone.
- It is free to use for small companies but it generates ad revenue from large companies by charging them a fee, thus, helping websites earn a little bit of revenue from non-intrusive advertisements.
- Its open-source code by default enables the Acceptable ads feature. Companies can apply to be a part of the Acceptable Ads white list.
- Its easy to navigate interface allows the flexibility to disable this non-intrusive advertisement feature via settings.
- It is an open-source code that means you can also modify the features to block pop-ups, Videos, and ads as per choice
- Additionally, it can be modified to filter unwanted social networking links & malware too.
- It can be enabled both for Android and iOS platforms i.e. on desktop and mobile browsers that are using other web browsers like Firefox, Safari, Edge, and Opera as well.
Due to its features, Adblock Plus is as popular today as it was when it first took the web by storm. It is also known as the original Granddad app for blocking online ads, and pop-ups. In short, it offers a free comprehensive ad-blocking service without fail, making it worthy to be on the list of best Ad blocking extension for Chrome.
Also Read: How to Fix Firefox Not Loading Pages
3. uBlock Origin
uBlock Origin is a browser-based Adblocker that is a brainchild of Raymond Hill (Gorhill). It is considered to be one of the best Ad blocking extensions for Chrome as it has won the trust of more than 10,000,000+ users of Chrome browser worldwide. Its notable features include:
- It is a free-of-cost, real-time adblocker enabling users to permanently disable advertisements from the current website.
- It is an open-source cross-platform that enables digital content-filtering with a focus on simple and efficient blocking techniques
- It has numerous out-of-the-box filters like Ublock’s original list of filters enabling it to read and choose lists of ads that it would like to block.
- It also helps create customized filters from its proprietary file list.
- In addition to the above, it also disables list of advertisements which includes banners, videos, and other pesky pop-up ads.
- It disables tracking your browsing activities by others, cutting on Peter Lowe’s list of server ads cum trackers, other online virulent URLs, and malware.
- It is light on your computer CPU using very little of your computer’s memory and resources. This ensures that your PC is not overloaded and does not slow down while working online.
- It enables users to whitelist the websites that they need to work on and do not want to be blocked.
- It does not collect or use your data for selling to third parties other than those approved by you.
- Moreover, it disables the use of data for determining your credit score for lending purposes.
- Uniquely, it continuously rates itself by providing statistical details to display its efficacy and effectiveness as a real-time content-filter cum Adblocking tool.
Thus, uBlock Origin is considered to be the best free content filter and ad-blocker extension for Chrome and various other browsers like Firefox too. It is rated amongst the best Adblockers for both personal and business purposes.
Note: It is important to note that it should not be confused with the site ublock.org which is completely unrelated to this AdBlocker.
Ghostery is a privacy extension considered to be one of the best ad blocking extensions for Chrome web browser because of the following remarkable traits:
- It is available free of cost and can be downloaded from the Chrome Webstore on the net.
- It is one of the best AdBlockers that removes Ads from web pages, anonymizing your data and safeguarding your privacy.
- Using enhanced anti-tracking technology enables you to view trackers who collect your private information and data and block unwanted infiltrators. In this manner, only willful data transfer will take place.
- It blocks both pop-up and banner ads online and forbids video ads from starting automatically.
- Its user-friendly interface besides customizing data blocking for web trackers also disables analytic devices from collecting information about you.
- With Ads removed, it enables you to focus better and browse the web more effectively and efficiently.
- It makes use of smart technology by breaking down each page you visit with up to date including complete details of tracers and ads to enable appropriate blocking action.
- Its smart technology makes your web browsing experience safe and clean.
- It allows speedy hassle-free viewing of your web pages enabling you to view the appropriate and relevant information quickly.
- It has different versions which safeguard data and privacy allowing you to browse the internet safely on both Android and iOS smartphones too.
- In addition to Chrome, it works well for Cliqz, Firefox, Opera, and Edge.
The only disadvantage of this tool is that it seems to be a little more complicated as compared to others and requires you to put in a little more time and effort to make it work the way you want it to work.
Note: It offers more advanced protection at a cost, starting at an initial price of $4.99 a month. It also offers an in-built VPN at $11.99 monthly providing enhanced data protection and privacy.
All-in-all we can see from the above why Ghostery is rated amongst the Best free AdBlock extension cum tracker viewer for Chrome.
Adlock is considered to be on the list of the best ad blocking extension for chrome due to the following reasons:
- This extension is available for download, free of cost from Chrome web store.
- It comes with both yearly and lifetime pricing for Windows and Android platforms.
- All rates of its paid products are exclusive of tax with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- It uploads & downloads webpages quickly at very high speeds.
- It enables blocking of unwanted and malicious videos and pop-ups keeping you secure while working on the web.
- It does not divulge any personal information on any site.
- It also protects against harmful bugs, browser-based apps, and other software programs like Skype, YouTube, and games.
However, it also has a few drawbacks as well such as:
- The app is not available on the Google play store.
- It is also not part of Acceptable Ads and does not identify sites to be whitelisted preventing any request to such sites from blocking external tracking of such websites.
If we forego the above few drawbacks, AdLock, without any iota of doubt can be considered to be one of the best free AdBlocking extension for Chrome.
Also Read: How to Enable Windows 11 UI Style in Chrome
6. AdGuard AdBlocker
AdGuard AdBlocker extension is specially designed for Chrome and is considered amongst the best ad blocking extension for Chrome because of the following reasons:
- It disables online fraudulent messaging and tracking by others.
- It blocks all kinds of pop-ups, Ads, banners, and videos.
- It is available free of cost at Chrome stores. It does not require you to install any apps and works by a simple change of the DNS settings on any device.
- Besides Chrome, it is available on Mac, Android, and iOS browsers
- It has both desktop and mobile versions that reduce ads when surfing online
- For iOS & macOS users, it works well with Safari for filtering of Ads.
- It makes use of its parent control facility to restrict adult content, block foul and dangerous software like dialers, adware, and other malware to ensure secure browsing for children.
- It enables speedy hassle-free viewing of your web pages enhancing the web browsing experience.
A few minor disadvantages include:
- It is not available on Google Play Store for Android users & can be installed from the official website of Adguard only.
- It offers a 14-day free trial but charges $2.49 per month or $79.99 for a lifetime, taxes extra.
- This lightweight Chrome extension is not a part of the Acceptable Ads community.
7. AdBlocker Ultimate
AdBlocker Ultimate is rated very highly in the list of best ad blocking extensions for Chrome because:
- It disables tracking while blocking malware allowing you to focus only on the task at hand.
- It is an open-source browser extension that protects against Phishing, blocking all pop-ups & ads.
- It enables 14 days free trial but charges 4.95$ per month or 74.95$ lifetime as per your choice.
- It safeguards your privacy on mobile browsers too.
- It is compatible with Chrome, Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and Edge.
- It enables paid Windows applications to work independently by not only blocking ads on the browser but also, disabling ads throughout the system.
Despite the following drawbacks, AdBlocker Ultimate is considered amongst the best free ad blocker for Chrome that removes advertisements and improves browser performance.
- It does not have any whitelist to discriminate between ads, pop-ups, and malware.
- It does not support macOS.
- It is not a part of Acceptable ads.
8. Fair AdBlocker
Fair AdBlocker extension for Chrome is considered one of the best ad blockers for the following features:
- It blocks all kinds of ads and pop-ups which include Facebook ads, Search ads, or popups/ads that show in Webmail accounts like Yahoo and AOL and so on.
- This best free AdBlock extension for Chrome provides the best protection from malware, any kind of security threats and even prevents online tracking.
- Its advanced filters enable a faster, secure private browsing and Google search.
- It also enables whitelisting of websites and certain types of ads as per your personal preference.
- It disables auto-play of Videos thus, saving data consumption and levied charges. Cool, isn’t it?
This Fair AdBlocker does precisely what it promises without any scorched earth approach to its stated purpose.
Also Read: How to Enable Incognito Mode in Chrome
9. Poper Blocker: Pop up blocker for Chrome
Poper Blocker, aka Pop Up Blocker for Chrome, is considered a big name in the list of the best ad blocking extensions for Chrome since:
- It complements other adblockers rather than being an all-in-one blocking solution
- It focuses on blocking pop-ups, pop-up overlays, timed and scroll pop-ups, and other varieties that might slip past other ad-blocking extensions.
- It notifies you as and when pop-ups, ads, and other malware are blocked by it.
- It also enables you to view your blocking status.
- Its unique quality is that it can be kept running along with other adblocker extensions with minimal impact on them or your system.
Poper Blocker is available for download from the Chrome web store as one of the best-rated ad-blocking plug-ins among its users.
10. Comodo Adblocker
Comodo AdBlocker is considered in the list of best ad blocking extensions for Chrome because of the below-mentioned advantages:
- It is an open-source Adblocker that helps to prevent display ads.
- It removes all pop-ups and advertisements disabling downloading of any malicious spyware, thereby improving browser performance.
- It disables tracking by intrusive anonymous software which can damage and destroy computers.
- It enables an increase in browsing speed when surfing or working on the web.
- It enables freeing up CPU from cookies and undesirable advertisements that may slow down its processing speeds.
Comodo AdBlocker is available free of cost on the Chrome Webstore and thus, considered to be amongst the best free AdBlock for Chrome web browser.
11. Hola Ad Remover
Hola Ad remover is rated as one of the best ad blocking extension for Chrome because of the following amazing features:
- It disables all banners blocking pop-ups, overlays, and various varieties of scroll pop-ups.
- It is also considered to be one of the best adblocker that disables video advertisements.
- It does not allow unknown trackers to disable anonymous tracking by others. Therefore, it provides enhanced security & privacy while surfing.
- It is also rated to be one of the best free Chrome ad-block that blocks all kinds of malware while working on the web.
- It is available free of cost at the Chrome Webstore.
Also Read: How to Enable DNS over HTTPS Chrome
12. Total Adblock
Total Adblock made its way into our list of best ad blocking extensions for Chrome as:
- It disables all types of adverts and pop-ups, including Facebook ads, Google ads, and pop-ups/ads that usually appear on YouTube and other websites with video content.
- Its powerful filters enable faster, safer, private browsing and Google search.
- It provides the best protection from viruses, malware, any form of security risks.
- Furthermore, it even prevents online monitoring via trackers.
- It allows you to whitelist websites and particular sorts of advertisements based on your preferences.
- It prevents videos from automatically playing.
- It is available for popular chromium-based browsers.
Note: Opting for a premium plan would enable users unlimited ad blocking along with other additional benefits.
uBlock is one of the pioneers of adblocking and rightfully claims itself to be the best ad blocking extension for Chrome. Often confused with uBlock Origin, uBlock is a completely separate entity of its own and is included in our list due to the following reasons:
- It provides excellent ad and, pop-up protection.
- It doubles as an antivirus to protect you from malware attacks online.
- uBlock is available for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and macOS giving coverage over multiple devices.
- It comes with a simple and easy-to-use interface.
- In addition, it is completely free to use with no hidden costs.
- Furthermore, it is updated regularly with new ads and pop-up patterns to block them completely.
uBlock still stands tall when it comes to naming the best free AdBlock extension for Chrome and has worked flawlessly thereby gaining the trust of tons of users since its inception.
Also Read: How to Remove Bing from Chrome
14. Stopza Adblocker
Stopza Adblocker is relatively newer compared to others on this list but it does get the job done. Following remarkable features make it worthy of consideration:
- It screens all online content for ads and trackers while browsing.
- It blocks all kinds of ads be its video ads, ads banners, etc. along with trackers looking for personal data of users.
- This free extension supports adblocking for specific websites as well as overall entire browsing activity.
- It can be turned off temporarily and then, enabled again with ease.
- It too, updates automatically to learn about new ad and tracker behaviors to block them more efficiently.
15. Hulu Ad Skipper
Hulu Ad Skipper extension is loved by several users because of how efficient it is at doing its job. In addition,
- It is capable of blocking ads on Hulu. Additionally, it supports adblocking in Hulu+ Live recordings
- It allows you to skip all ads that come at the starting and in the middle of the show.
- It even allows you to mute ads and fast-forward them to ensure minimal interruptions.
- It doesn’t collect user data or allow others to access & use it.
Hulu Ad Skipper is a godsend for Hulu users who are tired of the ads ruining the binging experience. It is definitely the best ad blocking extension for Chrome users who want to enjoy their favorite shows & movies online.
Also Read: What is Google Chrome Elevation Service?
Windscribe is an all-in-one adblocker extension that takes huge care in making your browsing smooth without any ad interruptions. Fully equipped with the following noteworthy features, Windscribe is definitely one of the best ad blocking extensions for chrome.
- It comes with inbuilt VPN features enhancing your web browsing experience. This unlocks content that are available in select countries.
- It encrypts users’ browsing activity to prevent any leaks of personal data.
- It is available as a standalone application to be used for a universal ad-free experience.
- Windscribe is available for a large variety of devices and platforms to provide coverage over multiple devices.
- Moreover, it offers special plans for commercial or business scenarios.
Pro Tip: Switch to Opera
Opera Web Browser is one of the most innovative browsers available today. Based on Chromium, Opera is similar to Google Chrome but with features that make it more efficient than Chrome.
It is a herculean task to be considered as a replacement of Chrome but what sets it apart are the following facts:
- It is available free of cost and has a dedicated version for gamers.
- It has a built-in VPN which disables the need for any additional extensions.
- It also facilitates a free in-built adblocker that disables all unwanted Ads and pop-ups
- It is available for Android and iOS users and can therefore work well on both Android and iOS devices.
- Opera can easily sync data like bookmark, password, and history between devices.
- Amazingly, it supports all Chrome Browser extensions which can be downloaded directly from Chrome Web Store.
- It also warns against fraudulent links and pages in addition to blocking unwanted Ads
- It has an innovative sidebar that houses your go-to options like bookmarks, history, extensions, and even your social media messengers like Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, Telegram, etc.
- 14 Ways to Fix Chrome Profile Error
- How to Fix Chrome Out of Memory
- How to Enable Chrome Remote Desktop on Windows 11
- How to Fix Crunchyroll Not Working on Chrome
To conclude the discussion, it can be said that the free and paid versions of the best ad blocking extensions for Chrome come in different shapes and sizes making it very difficult to decide the best amongst them. To our reasoning, it is best to leave it to the user to strike a balance according to his needs, requirements, and experience. Hence, we would love to hear your thoughts. Keep visiting our page for more cool tips & tricks and leave your comments below.