Google Chrome is one of the best web browsers which has an enormous scope of features, extensions, and easy use in-built support. Yet, users face Chrome profile errors in standard and incognito mode. There may be profile error occurred in your Chrome browser too. When you face this error, you are forced to log in again to your Chrome account to retrieve all the saved preferences. This can be annoying for you, so we bring to you a perfect guide that will help you fix Chrome profile error. So, continue reading!
- 14 Ways to Fix Chrome Profile Error Occured in Windows 10 PC
- What Causes Profile Error in Chrome Browser?
- Method 1: Restart Chrome Process
- Method 2: Clear Cache & Cookies
- Method 3: Use No-Sandbox Flag (Not Recommended)
- Method 4: Delete Web Data & Local State Files
- Method 5: Rename Default Folder
- Method 6: Disable Extensions
- Method 7: Remove Harmful Software from Chrome
- Method 8: Disable Third-party Antivirus (If Applicable)
- Method 9: Delete User Profile
- Method 10: Switch to New User Profile
- Method 11: Uninstall Unstable Apps
- Method 12: Update Chrome
- Method 13: Reset Chrome
- Method 14: Reinstall Chrome
14 Ways to Fix Chrome Profile Error Occured in Windows 10 PC
If there is profile error occurred in your Chrome browser then, you cannot use synced data like passwords, history, plugins, windows, bookmarks, and browsing data. You may not face the same error when logging in to your account on a different computer. This error pops up;
- When you open a new incognito tab in Chrome.
- When you try to create a new profile account.
If you are also encountering the same problem, you are not alone! In this article, we have mentioned all the possible methods to fix Chrome profile error in Windows 10.
What Causes Profile Error in Chrome Browser?
Several user reports were analyzed to get rid of this error, and reasons that triggered the problem were enlisted. There are plenty of reasons that cause the said problem. Yet, a few significant reasons are explained below.
- You will face this error if you have corrupt local data on your PC. Corrupt Web Data and Local State files will lead to Profile error occurring Chrome issue. You can resolve the same by clearing them.
- Sometimes, an overprotective antivirus program might interfere with your program leading to the issue.
- Few incompatible programs on your PC will lead to profile errors in the Chrome browser.
- Glitches in your user account and the presence of ad-filtering applications might cause this error.
- An outdated Chrome version or incompatible Chrome extensions might also cause this error.
This section has compiled a list of methods to fix this error. The methods are arranged in accordance with their efficiency to solve the error. Follow them in the same order to fix the same.
Method 1: Restart Chrome Process
There may be plenty of applications that run in the background. This will increase the CPU and memory space, thereby affecting the performance of the PC and the program. Follow the below-mentioned steps to close the background tasks.
1. Launch Task Manager by hitting Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys simultaneously.
2. In the Processes tab, search and select the Chrome process.
3. Then, click on the End task button as depicted in the below picture.
4. Now, relaunch Google Chrome and check if you have fixed the issue.
Method 2: Clear Cache & Cookies
Follow the given steps to clear cache and cookies to fix Chrome profile error.
1. Launch Google Chrome.
2. Then, click on the three-dotted icon > More tools > Clear browsing data… as illustrated below.
3. Check the following options.
- Cookies and other site data
- Cached images and files
4. Now, choose the All time option for Time range.
5. Finally, click on Clear data.
Method 3: Use No-Sandbox Flag (Not Recommended)
The primary reason there is profile error occurred in Chrome is Sandbox. To fix this issue, you are advised to use the no-sandbox flag.
Note: This method is not recommended since it is risky to put your Chrome out of the sandboxed state.
Still, if you want to try this method, you can follow the below-mentioned instructions.
1. Navigate to the Google Chrome desktop shortcut and right-click on it.
2. Now, select the Properties option as shown in the below picture.
3. Go to the Shortcut tab and in the Target field type –no-sandbox at the end of the text.
4. Finally, click on Apply followed by OK to save the changes.
Also Read: How to Remove Bing from Chrome
Method 4: Delete Web Data & Local State Files
If you have any corrupt Web Data or Local State files, you will face a Chrome profile error. To fix the error, you have to delete any of the files or both. The error will be resolved instantly. Also, you will not lose any personal information by this. All the account settings and information will be stored securely in your Google account. Follow these detailed instructions to remove Web Data/Local State Files from your PC.
1. Press the Windows key, type %localappdata%, and click on Open to go to AppData Local folder.
2. Double-click on the Google folder to open it.
3. Now, open the Chrome folder.
4. Here, double-click on the User Data folder.
5. Again, navigate to the Default folder and open it.
6. Now, scroll down and right-click on the Web Data file, and click on the Delete option.
7. Launch Google Chrome and check if you have fixed the issue.
8. If you face the error again, navigate to the following path in the File Explorer and delete the Local State file.
Now, check if you have fixed the Chrome profile error on your PC.
Method 5: Rename Default Folder
If you are tired of the above methods and still did not get a fix for this issue, you can try to rename the User Data folder. This will work in most cases; follow the below-mentioned steps to implement the same.
1. Press and hold Windows + E keys together to open the File Explorer.
2. Now, paste the following path in the address bar and hit Enter key.
3. Locate the Default folder and right-click on it.
4. Then, select the Rename option as shown.
5. Next, rename the folder to Old Default and hit the Enter key.
6. Finally, restart Chrome and check if you have fixed the issue.
Also Read: How to Enable DNS over HTTPS in Chrome
Method 6: Disable Extensions
Follow the given steps listed below to fix Chrome profile error by disabling the extensions.
1. Launch Chrome and type chrome://extensions in URL Bar. Hit Enter key to get the list of all installed extensions.
2. Switch Off the toggle for the extension (e.g. Grammarly for Chrome) to disable it.
3. Refresh your browser and see if the error is shown again or not.
4. Repeat the above steps to disable the extensions one by one to check if the error is fixed or not.
Method 7: Remove Harmful Software from Chrome
Few incompatible programs in your device will frequently cause this error, which could be fixed if you remove them completely from your system. Here are a few steps to implement the same.
1. Launch Google Chrome and click on three-dotted icon > Settings as shown highlighted.
2. Here, click on the Advanced setting in the left pane and select Reset and clean up option.
3. Now, select the Cleanup computer option as depicted below.
4. Here, click on the Find button to enable Chrome to find harmful software on your computer.
5. Wait for the process to be completed and remove the harmful programs detected by Google Chrome.
6. Reboot your PC and check if the issue is resolved.
Also Read: How to Remove Chrome Themes
Method 8: Disable Third-party Antivirus (If Applicable)
In some instances, your third-party antivirus program might install some additional toolbars to protect your PC from online browser threats. Chrome toolbars are not mandatory for your system and sometimes may cause Chrome profile error. So, you can disable your antivirus temporarily to fix the said error. Follow the given steps to do so.
Note: The steps and methods may vary depending on the antivirus software. We have shown the steps for Avast Antivirus as an example.
1. Navigate to the Antivirus icon in the Taskbar and right-click on it.
2. Now, select the Avast shields control option.
3. Choose any one of the given options according to your convenience:
- Disable for 10 minutes
- Disable for 1 hour
- Disable until computer is restarted
- Disable permanently
4. Confirm the prompt displayed on the screen and reboot your PC.
Note: You can go to the Antivirus menu and click on TURN ON to reactivate the shield.
Method 9: Delete User Profile
This error occurs if there is any glitch in the user profile. Therefore, switching to a new profile would help. If this doesn’t help, then delete the profile by following the below steps to resolve the Chrome profile error.
Note: Deleting the profile will only remove the profile from this system. Browser history, passwords, and bookmarks will be stored in the cloud.
1. Open Google Chrome and click on your profile icon.
2. Now, click on the gear icon.
3. Hover over the user profile which you want to delete and click on the three-dotted icon.
4. Now, select the Delete option as depicted below.
5. You will receive a prompt displaying, This will permanently delete your browsing data from this device. Proceed on by clicking the Delete button.
Now, you can enjoy surfing your browser without unwanted interruptions.
Method 10: Switch to New User Profile
Sometimes simple methods might give you the best results! For example, many users suggested that this error may be fixed when you switch to a new user profile. So, follow the below-mentioned instructions to switch to a new user profile and delete the existing one.
1. Launch Google Chrome and click on your Profile icon.
2. Now, select the gear icon in the Other people section.
3. Now, click on Add icon.
4. Then, click Continue without an account.
Note: You can click on Sign in to log in using your Gmail account.
5. Then, customize your Chrome profile by adding the profile picture, name, and Pick a theme color.
6. Now, click on Done after customizing the profile.
Note: If you do not want a desktop shortcut for this user, uncheck the Create a desktop shortcut box.
Method 11: Uninstall Unstable Apps
Sometimes, you might use ad-filtering applications to enjoy an uninterrupted surfing experience. They might trigger the profile error that occurred Chrome problem since they consider your webpage as an advertisement. To fix the issue, uninstall the corresponding applications by following the below-mentioned steps.
1. Hit the Windows key, type apps and features, and click on Open.
2. Click on the ad-filtering app (e.g. Battle.net) and select Uninstall option, as depicted below.
3. Click on Uninstall again to confirm the same as shown above.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the uninstallation process.
5. Finally, restart your PC and check if the error code persists or not. If it does, try the next solution.
Also Read: What is Google Chrome Elevation Service
Method 12: Update Chrome
If you have an outdated browser, the improved features of web pages will not be supported. To fix some errors and bugs with your browser, update it to its latest version. Here is how to do it.
1. Navigate to Google Chrome.
2. Click on the three-dotted icon to expand the Settings menu.
3. Then, select Help > About Google Chrome as illustrated below.
4. Allow Google Chrome to search for updates. The screen will display Checking for updates message, as shown.
5A. If updates are available, click on the Update button.
5B. If Chrome is already updated then, Google Chrome is up to date message will be displayed.
6. Finally, launch the updated browser and check for the error.
Method 13: Reset Chrome
Resetting Chrome will restore the browser to its default settings, and there are more possibilities that you can fix the discussed error. Follow the below-mentioned steps to reset Google Chrome and check if the issue is resolved.
1. Open Google Chrome and go to chrome://settings/reset
2. Click on the Restore settings to their original defaults option, shown highlighted.
3. Now, confirm your action by clicking on the Reset Settings button.
Now, launch the website again and check profile error occurred in Chrome issue is solved or not.
Also Read: Fix Chrome Blocking Download Issue
Method 14: Reinstall Chrome
If none of the above-mentioned methods have helped you, then you can try reinstalling Google Chrome. Doing this will fix all the relevant issues with the search engine, updates, or other related problems that trigger the Chrome profile error frequently.
1. Hit the Windows key, type apps and features, and click on Open.
2. Search for Chrome in Search this list field.
3. Then, select Chrome and click on the Uninstall button shown highlighted.
4. Again, click on Uninstall to confirm.
5. Now, press the Windows key, type %localappdata%, and click on Open to go to AppData Local folder.
6. Open the Google folder by double-clicking on it.
7. Right-click on the Chrome folder and select the Delete option as depicted below.
8. Again, hit the Windows key, type %appdata%, and click on Open to go to AppData Roaming folder.
9. Again, go to the Google folder and delete the Chrome folder as shown in steps 6 – 7.
10. Finally, restart your PC.
11. Next, download the latest version of Google Chrome as shown.
12. Run the setup file and follow the on-screen instructions to install Chrome.
- Fix Realtek Audio Console Not Working in Windows 11
- How to Fix Firefox Not Loading Pages
- How to Fix Chrome Ran Out of Memory
- How to Fix Netflix Error Code M7111-1101
We hope that one of these ways could help fix Chrome profile error occurred on Windows 10. Let us know which method worked for you the best. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section below.