Man, as we know is a social animal. Since time immemorial, communication has been the basic fiber of human co-existence. Prehistoric men used to communicate using sign language. With the passage of time and self-growth, man further invented alphabets, formed words, and started framing sentences in different dialects and languages. He then utilized these to communicate his thoughts and expressions. Today, with the aid of technology, he does the same through a word processor or word processing software. We have shown the 27 best free alternatives to Microsoft Word in this article.
Table of Contents
- 25+ Best Alternatives to Microsoft Word
- 1. Google Docs
- 2. FocusWriter
- 3. WPS Office
- 4. FreeOffice TextMaker
- 5. OpenOffice Writer
- 6. Libre Office
- 7. Write Monkey
- 8. Zoho Writer
- 9. Dropbox Paper
- 10. Apple Pages
- 11. Grammarly
- 12. Ginger Software
- 13. Evernote Web
- 14. Prowritingaid
- 15. MarketMuse
- 16. Calmlywriter
- 17. JotterPad
- 18. Scrivener
- 19. Readable
- 20. Dragon Speech Recognition
- 21. Scribus
- 22. iA Writer
- 23. Monospace
- 24. Ulysses
- 25. Apache OpenOffice
- 26. ONLYOFFICE
- 27. AbiWord
25+ Best Alternatives to Microsoft Word
These word Processors are not merely text editors, but also help form words, sentences, paragraphs, pages, and even help to write an entire article. The modern word processer developed with the help of computer programming provides features like customization of the font of the text; formatting of the page, the addition of footers, headers, page numbers to each page, inserting tables, etc. Following are some use cases of word processors.
- It can also identify and correct grammatical and syntax errors.
- In addition, it provides the word and character count of a document, if so desired by the user.
- In the latest versions, word processors have allowed users to add audio-video files and insert links to web pages.
- With a simple click of the mouse or pressing of a few keys, you can edit any document viz add or remove content, identify and correct errors, improve grammar and vocabulary, add punctuations, and a whole host of associated activities.
- It further allows you to save your document for future use and even, print a draft for revision and fully edited documents.
- It also enables transferring of files, making content writing as well as publishing, a lot easier.
In this article, we have provided a comprehensive list of some of these best, free to download, Word Processors especially, for our readers.
1. Google Docs
Google Docs is one of best free alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- This word processor supports all kinds of platforms viz the web, iOS, Android, Mac & Windows operating systems. Thus, it can be utilized on a phone, tablet, or computer.
- This feature-packed software is accessible from anywhere with the help of an internet connection; thereby, providing support to anyone and everyone who wants it.
- In addition to its online support, this mufti-faceted word processor also enables offline writing using Chrome Extension.
- Additionally, it provides the flexibility to return to older file versions and to convert Google Doc files to Word files, and vice versa.
- This free word processor can help make changes in a document in real-time and share them instantly.
- The auto-save feature rids you of the everlasting worry of having to save whatever you’re writing manually, every time you do so.
- It can also export files in PDF format.
- It assists in signing documents, creating charts, taking care of maps, and a lot more, using its add-ons.
- Its word processor comes with a free voice-to-text feature.
Another best free alternatives to Microsoft Word is FocusWriter.
- FocusWriter is a free, multilingual word processor supporting more than 20 languages.
- It supports Windows, Linux, and macOS operating systems.
- Holding true to its name, it enables you to focus on your writing completely, throwing all distractions to the wind.
- It allows for basic formattings like bold, strikethrough, text alignment, etc., and advanced tools like spelling check & correction, etc.
- Using this software, you can open and save documents in different formats, such as DOCX, ODF, RTF, and TXT.
- This processor sets your daily goals so that you do not need to worry about keeping a track of word count.
- It also helps you track and set time limits by fixing the number of minutes/hours you want to devote to your work each day.
- It automatically triggers an alert by sounding an alarm on reaching the pre-defined word count or time limit.
- This word processor even provides live data of the number of corrections and edits you make in your document.
- It also offers line spacing options in a document.
- It opens multiple documents with custom themes for better clarity and productivity.
Also Read: How to Add a Page in Google Docs
3. WPS Office
WPS Office is one of best free alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- WPS Office was developed by Kingsoft, a software company based in Beijing, China. It is lightweight software of approximately 300 MB.
- It is available for free on the web and is considered to be the easiest to use a word processor.
- It offers 1 GB of cloud storage space for your documents.
- It supports Word, Mac, Linux, and iOS operating systems giving flexibility of use on Mobile phones too.
- WPS Office offers all three office programs, namely, Word, Spreadsheet, and Presentation.
- A self-styled interface, almost identical to Word, enables better document management.
- It supports all text files, including Microsoft legacy and current versions, dating back to Office 97.
- This also enables the alignment of text and objects, the addition of header, footer and watermarks, use of heading styles, and much more.
- You can insert common objects like breaks, tables, shapes, pictures, WordArt, and text boxes in any document.
- You can use advanced object formatting and modify the 3D effects, depth, direction, and lighting of an object.
- It provides an auto spell-check feature as well.
- WPS Office can track any kind of change in a document making it easier to review edits or disable editing, altogether.
4. FreeOffice TextMaker
FreeOffice TextMake is also another best free alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- This is a feature-packed, lightweight, free-to-use word processor for both, home and business use.
- It supports Linux, Mac 10.10, and Windows 10, 8, and 7 operating systems for PCs and Android for mobile phones.
- It can save your work in TMDX and TMD formats, specific to this program.
- It can save any new designs created for future use, in its TMV format.
- Furthermore, it can save your work in common file formats because it highly supports MS Office file formats like DOCX, HTML, TXT, and EPUB format, with strong compatibility with Office XML.
- Using this word processor, you can create documents and letters with the help of several available templates.
- Using multiple language dictionaries allows for more efficient auto spell checks.
- It can view as well as read documents beforehand i.e. before opening them.
- With this word processor, you can track changes made to any document on which multiple users are collaborating.
- This software can open password-protected files, even from MS Word along with TXT, WRI, WPD, SXW, PWD, etc.
- This program enables you to print the work you have carried out thus far.
Also Read: 30 Best CSV Editor for Windows
5. OpenOffice Writer
OpenOffice Writer is one of best alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- Apache OpenOffice Writer is a pretty efficient & professional online word processor.
- It works with a lot of popular basic and advanced file format options, templates, and extensions.
- It also has a portable usage option i.e. With the help of a flash drive which, you can use the program, even while traveling.
- A side menu panel enables custom fonts, text size, and styles, arrows, bullets, line spacing, bookmarks, an in-built image gallery, keyboard shortcuts, macros, etc.
- Using this word processor, you can write your diary, letters, faxes, and programs using its in-built Wizards tool.
- You can also use its spreadsheet, presentation, and database programs, which can however be disabled using custom set-up.
- It enables a preview option to help finalize the look and formatting of your documents.
- It offers automatic spell check in real-time while you’re typing.
- This software provides auto-save, auto-completion, word counter and offline support.
- It provides dependable storage space for your personalized vocabulary of words, for future use.
- It not only allows you to download and edit your work in TXT, PDF, HTML, DOCX files but to even share it with others using WordPress and Tumblr.
6. Libre Office
Libre Office is another best alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- LibreOffice is a free-to-use, feature-packed, full-fledged, open-source software.
- It supports all platforms viz Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems.
- It collates all the features of well-known word processors which enables it to work cohesively with Microsoft Office Suite.
- It is for this reason that the recently released LibreOffice 7.1 is more in consonance with the DOC/DOCX file format and its features.
- As mentioned above, LibreOffice supports most of the popular file formats, it easily enables conversion of documents to PDF, without requiring any additional software or online help.
- This software package is suitable to process any kind of text-based work.
- It does not allow any advertisements or paid subscriptions.
- This word processor stays up-to-date because of its strong development team which keeps updating the application regularly.
- With its well-organized interface and a vast gallery of templates, it is more in demand and enjoys a considerable user base.
Also Read: Fix Microsoft Office Not Opening on Windows 10
7. Write Monkey
Write Monkey is also one of best alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- The beauty of this software is that it is a portable tool that does not need to be installed.
- This feature not only saves disk space but also, your precious time which would otherwise be spent in downloading and installing software.
- Write Monkey backs up Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.
- Its highly focused and minimal interface enables you to concentrate on your work without any distractions.
- It enables you to surf the internet, without using any web browser. You can search for anything in Wikipedia, Google Images, Poetry.com, Answers.com, and many other web pages that are supported.
- This feature comes in handy as it prevents you from scrolling through Twitter or Facebook feed and wasting your time.
8. Zoho Writer
Another best alternatives to Microsoft Word is Zoho Writer.
- This word processor with its online and offline desktop versions, is available for use completely free of cost.
- Its clean interface comes pre-equipped with all the basic tools and necessary features needed to edit a document.
- Using this program, you can insert images, change fonts and choose from a wide range of templates.
- Furthermore, it allows for indentation i.e. enables you to align your paragraphs in your document with an equal number of spaces from the side margins of the page.
- Zoho Writer provides separate views at each stage of the writing sample, providing ample scope for refinement.
- Because of this, it becomes easier to work jointly with other users. You can debate on the acceptance of new ideas and opinions in real-time.
- Its special engine, while keeping your original formatting safe, enables you to convert your DOC/DOCX documents.
- It saves your documents on its own cloud storage, Zoho Docs, by default.
- It also allows documents to be saved onto other cloud services like Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive.
- Zoho Writer, standing tall-in-stature undoubtedly gives stiff competition to other word processors like Word Online and Google Docs.
Also Read: How to Open a Pages File on Windows 10
9. Dropbox Paper
Dropbox paper is one of best alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- Dropbox Paper also known as Paper is a free-to-download and free-to-use service available on the internet.
- Dropbox Paper focuses on instantaneous editing and enables real-time online word processing with Markdown support. Markdown is an HTML conversion tool that enables web content writers to produce web content that is as easy to read as plain text.
- It enables you to insert images and videos into your document.
- Dropbox Paper also enables you to add tables, calendar timelines on a to-do basis, and much more.
- It also supports the addition of code snippets which is a program for re-usable text in word processing.
- It also supports bulleted and numbered lists.
- It hosts collaborative tools which include software applications that add shapes and objects as well as Excel charts, PowerPoint slides, etc. to achieve a common objective.
- This software enables rich media support which is a form of digital advertising containing video, audio, and other such elements which attract users’ attention & encourage interaction.
10. Apple Pages
Apple Pages is another best alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- It is feature-packed software, available for free on Mac OS, iPad, and iOS devices.
- In case you do not have Pages installed on any of these devices, you can download it for free from the App Store and begin using it.
- Since Apple pages and MS word are comparable, thus, you can generate attractive and appealing word documents in different font styles and sizes, color schemes, spacing & alignment using Pages as well.
- You can also insert images, charts, tables, WordArt, shapes, pictures, video, and audio files, to create your unique document.
- Alternatively, you can choose from available templates for reports, letter, business cards, resume, and posters directly from the home page.
- Due to the availability of a whole slew of features in this word processor, you can use this Apple Word processor to personalize documents as per your convenience & requirements.
- Having created & saved your document, you can export it in DOC/DOCX/EPUB format, or as PDF files, using Pages 5 version.
Also Read: How to Sync Google Calendar with Outlook
Another best alternatives to Microsoft Word is Grammarly.
- It is one of the best word processors available for free on the web.
- As the name suggests, it aids in basic grammatical syntax.
- It is capable of detecting mistakes and suggesting corrections for such errors in terms of the replacement of a word, phrase, sentence, or paragraph in the text.
- It also helps in the logical arrangement of words and phrases, to create well-formed sentences, while taking care of syntax errors in your write-up.
- Grammarly is equipped with a massive vocabulary and ensures that the word which fits best in the given context is being suggested.
- It offers a variety of writing styles for you to choose from.
- It helps you customize a particular style, content, or form in your literary creations to make the subject more attractive and intriguing.
- You can make corrections in your content across different websites and platforms since it supports all web platforms and browser extensions.
12. Ginger Software
Ginger Software is one of best alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- Ginger is an older writing improvement tool. It is essentially an efficient grammar checker which instantly detects misspelled words.
- This word processor supports all platforms viz Windows, iOS, Mac, and web browsers.
- Its punctuation checker makes the desired corrections in punctuation mistakes in your content ensuring the correct use of a comma, full-stop, exclamation mark, hyphens, etc. wherever required.
- Ginger software enables you to form a personal dictionary of errors which enables auto-correction of words with respect to their usage in a particular context.
- It corrects mistakes in sentence structuring while you are writing.
- It keeps a check on grammatical errors in terms of the subject-verb agreement.
- This word processor helps in identifying document errors and correcting them.
- It keeps a vast vocabulary of words to choose from which helps improve word selection in your content.
- Besides grammar corrections, it offers on its platter, unique features like text reader, translator, trainer, etc.
- You get the freedom to switch between US English and UK English.
Also Read: Top 10 Best Torrent Websites
13. Evernote Web
Another best alternative to Microsoft Word is Evernote web.
- It is available for use on various platforms including Windows, iOS, Android, and Mac operating systems.
- Since this application is available for mobile phones, you no longer have to wait to reach home to your desktop/laptop. You can create new notes or edit existing ones, on the go.
- This word processor enables you to save the to-do list across multiple devices.
- With its Basic & Premium version, you can subscribe to either depending on the number of devices you wish to link to your account.
- It allows you to highlight the important portion of your text in a color of your choice.
- You can move a certain portion of your text anywhere on the page or remove that part completely i.e. you can cut, copy or paste the selected text, notes, shapes, or marks in your content.
- It also allows you to change the design of the paper.
- It saves data on its cloud storage so that you don’t lose it if your device data is lost.
- Another noteworthy feature is that you can share your note with others via Internal Evernote link or through email link.
Prowritingaid is another best alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- It is a tool that provides top-notch grammar and style checking.
- It allows you to modify papers more quickly.
- This app has over 1000s styles to help you enhance your writing.
- It allows you to correct the problem with your writing style.
- Prowritingaid highlights errors in spelling and grammar.
- It contains a word explorer to help you discover the correct term.
- This program generates a consistent report, which helps to eliminate errors.
- Mac, Web, and Windows are all supported platforms.
Also Read: Fix Outlook Password Prompt Reappearing
MarketMuse is another best alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- MarketMuse is an AI-powered tool for creating content strategies.
- It allows you to quickly evaluate a large number of articles.
- It will assist you in conducting keyword research for your content.
- It has a live text editor.
- This program can assist you in locating frequently asked questions.
- MarketMuse enables you to create a first draught as well as a content brief.
- By inputting a URL or a title, you may optimise content.
- The web is the platform that is supported.
Calmywriter is one of best free alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- It’s a free piece of writing software.
- This software has a simple design.
- This online tool is intended to assist you in focusing on your writing abilities.
- It contains a focus mode feature that allows you to highlight the text you’re working on.
- You will be able to use full-screen mode.
- It’s quite easy to use.
- You have the option of turning on or off the typewriter sound.
- Headers, bold, italics, and bullets may all be formatted using the syntax.
- It enables the usage of keyboard shortcuts.
- Using a browser, verify your spelling.
- It comes with a word counter.
- You may save the file as a PDF.
- Web and browser extensions are supported platforms.
Also Read: How to Turn Outlook Email Read Receipt On Off
JotterPad is another best free alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- JotterPad is an Android application created specifically for authors.
- It contains a plain text editor that may be used to produce books, poetry, novels, essays, and other types of documents.
- You may concentrate on transforming your thoughts into a plain text file with the help of this application.
- You may search for terms rapidly.
- It works with Markdown (Text to HTML conversion tool).
- It allows you to count the number of words in a sentence.
- This application allows you to keep track of the document’s version.
- You may write or edit text on the cloud.
- You may print or publish your work in PDF format.
- It features a built-in dictionary that may be used to look up terms.
- Android is a supported platform.
Another best free alternatives to Microsoft Word is Scrivener.
- Scrivener is a fantastic software for writers.
- It includes a document and metadata management system.
- This software aids in the organisation and investigation of the material so that it may be accessed quickly.
- It underlines the terms on which you should focus your efforts.
- You may add annotations and comments.
- You may use this programme to indent block quotas.
- You can use it to make the header bold and big.
- You may import simple text files, as well as Word and PDF documents.
- Windows, iOS, and Mac are all supported platforms.
Also Read: 16 Best Free File Rename Software for Windows
Readable is also one of the best free alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- Readable is a word processor that allows you to check your content for readability, grammar, and spelling.
- It allows for API integration with your content management system.
- You may use this tool to paste your content.
- It will provide you with an immediate analysis.
- It also suggests ways to improve.
- It has the ability to assess the text’s quality.
- This free word processing programme can check the keyword density.
- Readability notifications are provided by the application.
- It has a team management feature.
- You may exchange text, file scores, and web pages using Readable.
- The web is the platform that is supported.
20. Dragon Speech Recognition
Another best free alternatives to Microsoft Word is Dragon Speech Recognition.
- Dragon Speech Recognition is voice recognition software.
- This program allows you to speak and have your words shown on the screen.
- It assists you in creating documents without the need for a keyboard.
- It allows you to operate your PC with precision and speed using your voice.
- This tool is faster than using a keyboard to type text.
- Students, business users, and professionals can all utilize it.
- Windows, Android, and iOS are all supported platforms.
Also Read: 15 Best Free Windows 10 Themes
Scribus is also one of best free alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- Scribus is a desktop publishing program that is both free and open-source.
- It’s made for typesetting, layout, and display of documents.
- This program also has the ability to produce PDFs and forms.
- It has an easy-to-use UI.
- Color management and PDF production are examples of publishing functionality that can be supported.
- You have the ability to create vector graphics.
- Documentation generation tools such as LaText, Lilypond, and others are supported by this programme.
- Scribus allows you to import and export a large number of files.
- Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, PC-BSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and Haiku are all supported platforms.
22. iA Writer
Another best free alternatives to Microsoft Word is iA Writer.
- iA writer provides a simple and intuitive writing environment.
- It enables you to modify your text file in any programme.
- There is a concentrate mode in this programme that helps you to stay in the zone.
- It has the ability to highlight syntax.
- Your document can be searched with this tool.
- It allows for template customisation.
- It has the ability to align tables automatically.
- There are two modes in the app: bright and dark.
- It assists you in composing a phrase and a sentence.
- Mac, Android, iOS, and Windows are all supported platforms.
Also Read: How to Convert Word to JPEG
Monospace is one of best free alternatives to Microsoft Word.
- Bold, italics, bullets, and other formatting styles are supported by this software.
- It comes with a built-in sync feature that allows you to keep track of the most recent version of your note.
- it is used to export the document.
- It also supports Tumblr and WordPress copy and paste.
- You may use this tool in conjunction with Dropbox.
- To arrange the document, you can use hashtags.
- It has a user-friendly touch interface.
- Web, iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and Browser Extension are all supported platforms.
Ulysses provides an array of features to the writers to enhance the writing experience and quality for the better.
- It has a simple and distraction-free interface to aid in better productivity.
- You can write any size of projects in this text editor.
- It has a built-in proofreader and editing assistant to keep your writing error-free and swiftly readable.
- Ulysses can convert your documents into PDFs, Word documents, blog posts, ebooks in EPUB/MOBI, etc.
- Recently, it has also released an update with the support of 3rd party font additions.
- You can use this application on iPhone, iPad, and Mac systems.
Also Read: Best 10 Microsoft Teams Features
25. Apache OpenOffice
Apache OpenOffice is a multipurpose software with the following features in the bag:
- It is an open-source office suite software used for spreadsheets, word processing, presentations, etc.
- It is a free and easy-to-use software for people who want the same feel as Microsoft Word.
- Some of the office suites in this software include Writer, Math, Draw, Base, etc.
- It is available in various languages, and it continues to add more language support from time to time.
- You can use this software for education, private, commercial, or government use.
ONLYOFFICE is indeed known to be one of the best alternatives to Microsoft Word due to the following attributes:
- ONLYOFFICE Docs provides collaborative document editors to create quality documents as per your need.
- You can create various documents, spreadsheets, forms, presentations with the help of this doc software.
- It has the highest compatibility with MS Office formats.
- ONLYOFFICE Workspace is a complete productivity suite you can use to run your whole business with.
- It is also compliant with international security standards.
- This software is available for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS.
Also Read: 19 Best Free File Manager for Windows
AbiWord is a word processing program with some of the best features to look for.
- This word processor helps aid the daily typing and write correction works.
- It can read and edit OpenOffice.org, Microsoft Word, Rich Text Format documents, HTML web pages, etc.
- With the Advanced Document Layout feature, you can make use of tables, lists, bullets, images, footnotes, etc., to augment the quality of your document.
- It is multilingual software with the support of languages such as Hebrew, Arabic, and all other European languages.
- It is available on Windows, QNX, Linux, FreeBSD, or Solaris.
- Fix Windows 10 Bluetooth Mouse Lag
- How to Redeem a Gift Card on Microsoft Account
- 6 Best Free Alternatives to Windows for Advanced Users
- 8 Best Alternatives to Noobs and Nerds
From the above discussion, we conclude that there are numerous online and offline best alternatives to Microsoft Word, which is a closed-source program. Being available at no cost, you get the added advantage of saving valuable storage space as well. Let us know which word processor you prefer. If you have any queries/suggestions, leave them in the comment section below.