Anyone who has ever worked on a computer would want to become more efficient while working on the files and folders on his PC. Most of us are content with the default File Manager Windows File Explorer. But if you want more options, it’s time to look for an alternative File Manager. There are lots of third-party best free File Manager for Windows that can make you an expert in working with files. The features and functionalities offered by these third-party File Managers may appear a bit complex, but after using and understanding them, you will forget the default File Manager of your system. Some of the best free File Manager for Windows 10 are listed below, along with their features, to help you manage your files better.
Table of Contents
- 15+ Best Free File Manager for Windows 10 PCs
- 1. Free Commander
- 2. XYplorer
- 3. Directory Opus
- 4. Total Commander
- 5. Q-Dir
- 6. One Commander
- 7. Explorer ++
- 8. Xplorer²
- 9. WinDirStat
- 10. Files&Folders Lite
- 11. Multi Commander
- 12. File Voyager
- 13. ExplorerMax
- 14. Konvertor
- 15. Tablacus Explorer
- 16. Unreal Commander
- 17. Altap Salamander
- 18. Frigate3
- 19. Aerize Explorer
15+ Best Free File Manager for Windows 10 PCs
Windows systems have an in-built File Manager that does the job for you to manage the files. Yet there are several other File Manager available in the market competing with Windows File Explorer and somehow prevailing. Here are some reasons why third-party File Manager can overshadow the default File Explorer on your system. Third-party File Manager contain the following features, unlike File Explorer:
- Rename and filter file batches.
- Copy and paste files in simple and few steps.
- Several keyboard shortcuts to use.
- Covert your files and documents in any format.
- Color-code your files for improved identification.
Third-party File Manager provide other numerous features for their File Manager. Now, read further to know those File Manager and their detailed features.
1. Free Commander
Free Commander is considered one of the best free File Manager for Windows.
- Free Commander is a simple and fast application.
- It features a dual-pane interface.
- It enables you to split or merge files and add folder tabs.
- The in-built file viewer enables viewing of files in hex, binary, image and text format.
- Free Commander allows you to copy or move files between the two folders.
- You can set customised keyboard shortcuts.
- It can build and validate checksum.
- It uses DOS command-line interface and allows zipping, unzipping of files and archives.
- You can easily access Windows Context Menu with this File Manager.
- It allows you to shred or delete files and rename batches.
- It can directly open network files.
- You don’t need to install any hardware to use this program.
XYplorer is another best free File Manager for Windows 10. It is also considered to be one of the best Windows Explorer alternatives due to the following reasons:
- XYplorer allows you to search for files and folders straight from the address bar.
- It consumes less system memory and is a very compact software.
- The interface of this software offers a tree folder option on the left side, providing smooth navigation between various paths and directories.
- It features regular expressions and fuzzy matching while keeping itself regularly updated.
- It allows content search at multiple locations.
- Moreover, it enables you to attach indicators like colors, icons, and ratings to individual files.
- It supports advanced templates, customizable fonts and patterns.
- Besides, it provides multilingual support and offers Boolean logic as well.
- It is a portable application.
- XYplorer provides a 30-days free trial, and you can upgrade to the paid version starting from $39.95.
Also Read: 20 Best Cell Phone Tracking App
3. Directory Opus
Directory Opus is one of the oldest free to use File Manager software for Windows 10 and rated high in the list of the best File Manager.
- Directory Opus has a simple and clutter-free User Interface.
- It has adjustable toolbars and provides multiple keyboard shortcuts.
- It provides a search option for the user to easily switch between directories.
- You can checkmark files with this File Manager with ease.
- It allows you to filter individual files with indicators like colors, icons, and ratings.
- It contains an image uploader.
- It has an image converter that converts a document from one file type to another.
- Directory Opus allows you to access metadata providing quick information about the file data without opening it.
- It allows batch renaming of files and has inbuilt FTP support.
- Furthermore, it supports file converters and can save the files in formats like zip, rar, and many more.
4. Total Commander
Total Commander is a classic and reliable File Manager software that has been around a long time. Formerly called File Commander, it is among the best Windows File Explorer alternatives.
- Total Commander has an in-built FTP i.e., File Transfer Protocol, to allow the transfer of a large number of files
- It gives the flexibility to use both the classic user interface and the dual-pane interface layout.
- You can start, stop, resume and check the progress of the file transfer whenever you want.
- It can split or merge the content of a file.
- Furthermore, it has speed control.
- It supports file synchronization.
- This software allows you to rename files using the multi-name feature simultaneously.
- Total Commander features customizable keyboard shortcuts.
- It also has cloud storage services.
- Total Commander offers alternate utility tools.
- It supports multiple formats that include ZIP, 7ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE and many more.
- It has a quick view panel with a bitmap display.
Also Read: 15 Best Free Email Providers for Small Business
Q-Dir is a feature-packed File Manager software next in our list of the best free File Manager for windows.
- Q-Dir is free to use file management software.
- It has a four-pane display User interface and is therefore named ‘Quad Explorer’. Whereas most of the other File Manager only contain a dual-pane User interface as an option.
- It is fully customizable and lets you change the number of panes.
- This File Manager allows you to organize these panes and save files and folders in them.
- You can arrange these panes in any vertical and horizontal position for a natural look.
- Moreover, it allows you to create and manage multiple folder tabs in each pane at the same time for ease of work.
- Q-Dir also enables you to save a specific arrangement of panes.
- It makes use of color filters.
- It is lightweight and offers Unicode support.
6. One Commander
One Commander is next on the list of best free File Manager for Windows 10.
- It is free to use file management program.
- One Commander is simple and fast, with a minimalistic user interface that provides double window and multi-column viewing.
- It allows you to work with various directories at the same time.
- It contains an address bar that displays and checks all the sub-folders in the present directory.
- You have the flexibility to choose between white, dark and light themes.
- One Commander user interface allows easy navigation of files and folders with the use of a history panel on its right side.
- The impressive design of this File Manager displays an integrated view of all your video, text and audio files.
- It establishes its work on the icon menu theme.
- Its advanced features and shortcuts make it compatible with most of the Windows OS.
Also Read: 16 Best Ad Blocking Extension for Chrome
7. Explorer ++
Explorer++ is another free File Manager designed for Windows 10 that has a vast list of features to offer.
- Explorer++ is open-source software and does not require to be installed on your PC.
- It is compact and can be downloaded easily on both 32 bit and 64-bit systems.
- The bookmarks folder tabs of Explorer++ help us in organizing all the information.
- It offers a display window that enables you to preview all your files and folders.
- It has a OneDrive integration feature that enables you to access, share and store all your files and folders anytime, even when you are offline.
- Explorer++ features a wide range of basic file functions like moving, sorting, and filtering all your files and folders.
- It is fully customizable and allows you to modify the dates and attributes of files.
- The dual-pane, easy to use user interface enables you to browse through the files and folders at lightning-fast speeds.
- It is free-to-use software that enables you to save directory listings.
Xplorer² File Manager has the features and flexibility to be considered one of the best free File Manager for windows.
- Xplorer² is available in two versions containing a dual-pane interface.
- The software design allows the flexibility to choose from the ribbon-style user interface or the standard conventional menu bar.
- It has a color code option to make it easy to identify a file or folder in a single glance.
- It enables you to select multiple files at one time.
- Moreover, it allows easy addition of tabs and subdirectories, enabling bulk renaming of files.
- It has a feature to copy and move files at the same time providing instant file transfer.
- This software offers a faster working speed in comparison to similar software in its category.
- It offers a three-week free trial to understand its functions, but afterward, you have to pay a price of $29.95 to use its upgraded version.
Also Read: 18 Best Tools for Hacking
WinDirStat File Manager is worth the consideration to be one of the best free File Manager for Windows 10 and also File Explorer Alternatives.
- WinDirStat is an open-source and free-to-use program.
- It provides you with complete information on daily space usage statistics, the amount of disk space in use, and what is it being used for.
- It analyses your selected drive or directory by assigning color codes to each file type depending on the space consumed by them. It estimates which file consumes the most space. For example, the file taking up maximum space in your drive or directory will be colored blue.
- This space usage feature becomes a handy clean-up tool for managing your files. It automatically removes files without using Recycle Bin, helping you at optimum disk space-saving and usage.
10. Files&Folders Lite
Files&Folders Lite is developed by null software developer, the developer of Torrex. It is rated as one of the best free File Manager Windows 10 due to the following features.
- Files&Folders Lite has an amazingly designed, free-to-use User Interface that makes it super-easy to access your files and folders.
- It has an expandable navigation window on the left of the User Interface that helps you easily locate your vital files.
- This File Manager allows the use of File Transfer Protocol and OneDrive.
- It allows you access to your videos and photos using its built-in media player.
- It gives you the flexibility to add more folders in multiple formats.
- Moreover, it supports cloud services and contains file compression and decompression feature.
- It is compatible with most Windows devices.
- You can customize the system background from the system gallery or downloaded ones from the internet.
- It keeps on changing themes automatically.
Also Read: Top 15 Best Free IPTV Players
11. Multi Commander
Multi Commander File Manager software for windows is one of the best Windows File Explorer Alternatives due to the various features detailed below.
- Multi Commander offers a Dual-Pane view with a variety of tools and Plug-ins.
- This File Manager contains shortcuts to default folders, ensuring easy access to various files such as Documents, Libraries, and Desktop.
- It has highly customizable software with out-of-the-box functions offering multiple tools for images and videos.
- Moreover, Multi Commander offers filter-based color codes to each file type for ease of identification.
- It enables access to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch to store current user-specific preferences to be used within their program.
- It also is available in a portable version so that you can carry and use it wherever you go.
12. File Voyager
File Voyager is next in the list of the best free File Manager for windows due to a host of remarkable functions as mentioned below:
- It has a huge collection of features like renaming, copying and moving, linking, deleting and recycling files, etc., that help make work easy.
- The free-to-use adjustable interface provides a dual-pane view.
- It offers different display modes like the report or thumbnail modes that display the size of a file or a folder next to each entry.
- File Voyager allows the use of shortcuts to fax or email necessary documents and offers the file compressing tool.
- It enables you to edit the files and folders in a notepad.
- It also has a portable version enabling on-the-move, hassle-free working wherever you go.
Also Read: Fix File Explorer Not Responding in Windows 10
ExplorerMax is a software with a vast set of features, and it is next on the list of the best free File Manager:
- ExplorerMax has a modern, easy-to-use, and efficient user interface that supports five different languages.
- It allows quick search enabling you to view only those particular files, images, and documents that you want.
- ExplorerMax user interface allows the use of a dual-pane view that makes it more effective to help you locate your important files and folders easily.
- This File Manager has a batch rename feature enabling bulk renaming of files.
- Further, it has a file zip/unzip feature that uses less storage space and enables the quick transfer of files and folders to other systems.
- It supports light and dark modes.
Konvertor is a free File Manager with a dual-pane and multi-tabbed File Manager capability.
- Konvertor can convert over 3400 distinct file types.
- In addition to JPGs, PNGs, and GIFs, it supports 2,034 picture file formats, 795 audio, 230 movies, 102 3D, Office documents, and many more fundamental file types.
- Its layout is similar to Explorer.
- Using this program, you can quickly choose the alternatives you wish to handle.
- It contains over 40 filters, including scaling, blur, noise, charcoal, and others for those who wish to change and enhance their photographs or pictures.
- You can fine-tune photographs by adjusting brightness, contrast, and colors, as well as adding special effects such as cropping, rotating, and minimizing red-eye.
- It comes with a plethora of capabilities, including the ability to open numerous tabs at the same time.
Also Read: Top 10 Best Kodi Linux Distro
15. Tablacus Explorer
Tablacus Explorer is a free and portable application that lets you open several tabs and organize them in various ways.
- This File Manager program does not require installation.
- You can change the default layout of this software to one of the ten others layouts available.
- It supports add-ons in addition to tabbed windows.
- It improves the appearance of File Explorer by adding additional features that make searching for files easier.
- Its design is strongly influenced by File Explorer, but it incorporates several necessary file management improvements.
16. Unreal Commander
Unreal Commander is a free Windows File Manager that successfully handles your system data. If you’re tired of using the old File Explorer, try this software which has a beautiful user interface and is simple to use.
- It is a two-pane file organizer that lets you manage your files and directories more easily.
- Unreal Commander can open archives in a variety of formats, including ZIP, RAR, ACE, TAR, and CAB.
- Once you’ve established a naming pattern using rules, it allows you to rename many files at once.
- It allows you to upload files to an FTP server rapidly.
- A two-panel user interface is included.
- It comes with several essential features and preferences pre-installed.
- This File Manager contains all the fundamental file management functions such as copy, move, delete and rename are supported.
- It also has the drag-and-drop feature.
Also Read: 13 Best Mininova Alternatives
17. Altap Salamander
Altap Salamander is the first alternative to Windows File Explorer that emphasizes networking functionality.
- All network protocols are supported, including FTP, FTPS, SCP, and SFTP.
- It simplifies the process of sharing data via the internet.
- In comparison to its competitors, the software supports more archive file formats.
- You can decompress ZIP, RAR, 7-Zip, ISO, and UDF files through this File Manager.
- Altap Salamander has a built-in password manager, which is a one-of-a-kind feature.
- Secure encryption techniques are used to protect sensitive or personal material, preventing them from getting into the wrong hands.
- It has one of the most cost-effective premium software with a price tag of roughly $27.
Frigate3 could be the best option if you’re looking for a simple-to-use yet powerful and best free File Manager for windows.
- It supports a variety of file compression and encryption formats, including zip, arj, rar, jar, ace, ha, lha, zoo, limit, and hyper, as well as network connectivity and FTP file management (including SFTP and FTPS protocols).
- Frigate3 offers a program-sorting tool that allows users to swiftly and efficiently sort through media files on hard discs and external storage.
- The multithreaded application engine can handle several concurrent file tasks, including copying, downloading, moving, searching, extracting, compressing, and uploading files.
- Its other essential features are folder comparison and size management systems, a strong search engine, built-in MP3 tag, text editors, and many more.
- Anyone can use it as it comes with detailed installation and uninstallation instructions.
- It is simple to use and requires no technical skills.
Also Read: 13 Best Free Password Manager Software (2022)
19. Aerize Explorer
Aerize Explorer is one of the most popular file management applications on the Microsoft Store.
- It provides premium file management facilities such as passcode lock, configurable backdrops, various sizes, layouts, and distinctive icons, among others.
- Although it is a free file organizer, it is ad-supported.
- Files, folders, and storage cards can all be managed fast and easily.
- It simplifies file operations such as cut, copy, and paste.
- Aerize Explorer allows you to manage files and folders on the phone’s internal memory as well as an SD card.
- It can rename and delete files from the storage memory as per your requirement.
- It can transfer files between the phone’s memory and SD card as well as share them via NFC, Bluetooth, email, and other means.
- The Aerize Explorer user interface is simple though aesthetically pleasing.
- It has no crashes, no latency, and other issues.
- 15 Best Free Windows 10 Themes
- How to Change File Permissions in Windows 10
- 28 Best File Copy Software for Windows
- 29 Best AI Chatbots Online
We have listed the most effective, handy to use, and best free File Manager for Windows 10 PCs. We hope that the above list will help you make the right choice for managing your files on Windows PC. Write any suggestions or queries in the comments section below.