Minimal PC setups with no visible wires are all the rage right now. Wireless accessories such as Bluetooth mouse and Bluetooth keyboard is used for this. Bluetooth devices are easy to set up, last several months etc. but the regular mouse has faster response times and they never lag. Windows 10 Bluetooth mouse lag can be annoying. In this article, we bring to you a helpful guide that will teach you how to fix Bluetooth mouse lagging Windows 10 especially logitech wireless mouse lagging Windows 10.
- How to Fix Windows 10 Bluetooth Mouse Lag
- Method 1: Replace Battery
- Method 2: Use Faster USB port
- Method 3: Change DPI Settings
- Method 4: Disable Pointer Shadow
- Method 5: Update Device Drivers
- Method 6: Disable USB Power Saving
- Method 7: Disable WiFi Bluetooth Collaboration
- Method 8: Reinstall Audio Drivers
How to Fix Windows 10 Bluetooth Mouse Lag
Here are some reasons that cause a wireless mouse to lag
- Distance between mouse and PC is beyond the specified range
- Low battery levels
- Incorrect ports being used
- Corrupt drivers
After understanding the reasons behind Windows 10 Bluetooth mouse lag, let us move to the methods which will fix this issue for you. We will start with some hardware checks first.
Method 1: Replace Battery
Whenever a Bluetooth mouse (or any Bluetooth device) starts misbehaving, the first thing to check is the battery condition and the amount of charge left.
- If you are unable to check the charge left, try replacing the batteries with another pair and check if the issue persists.
- Bluetooth devices tend to lag when battery charge drops below a certain value. To fix this, simply replace them with a fresh set of batteries.
Note: If you wish to prolong the life of your batteries, remove and keep them aside when not in use.
Method 2: Use Faster USB port
Most modern systems have multiple different USB ports. You can use our guide to identify USB port in which Bluetooth receiver is connected and then plug it to a faster port.
- USB 3.1 ports are faster than USB 3.0 ports which in turn are faster than USB 2.0 ports.
- If the receiver is already connected to the 3.1 port, try connecting to USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 port and check if it fixes Windows 10 Bluetooth mouse lag issue.
Method 3: Change DPI Settings
If your Bluetooth mouse supports variable DPI, make sure DPI value is set correctly. DPI stands for Dots Per Inch and is a measure of mouse sensitivity. A higher DPI setting would result in a sensitive mouse while a lower DPI setting may give the impression of lag as the mouse pointer moves slowly. Here is how you can change it –
1. Press Windows + I keys simultaneously to launch Settings.
2. Click on Devices tile.
3. Click on Mouse in the left pane. After that, click on Additional mouse options.
4. Go to Pointer Option tab in Mouse Properties window.
5. Under Motion, shift the slider to the right side towards Fast to increase DPI of your mouse.
6. Click Apply and OK to save changes.
Generally, there is an added DPI button present in wireless mouse to adjust mouse sensitivity. Some have a dedicated application for it. Find the available option that suits you and try altering DPI.
Also Read: How to Install Bluetooth on Windows 10
Method 4: Disable Pointer Shadow
Many users have suggested that disabling Pointer Shadow feature helped them in eliminating mouse lag. When the feature is enabled, a faint dark shadow appears below mouse pointer that helps in locating it on light backgrounds. You can disable it by following the steps below.
1. Navigate to Settings > Devices > Mouse > Additional Mouse options as shown in Method 3.
2. Go to the Pointers tab in the Mouse Properties window.
3. Uncheck the box marked Enable Pointer Shadow and click on Apply.
4. Then, go to the Pointer Options tab, uncheck the box marked Display pointer trails.
5. Click Apply > OK to save changes.
Note: If you are still facing the issue try disabling Scroll Inactive Windows feature, go to mouse settings as shown in Step 3 above, and turn Off toggle for Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them.
Method 5: Update Device Drivers
With hardware and connectivity concerns out of the way, it is time to look at the software side of things if you continue to encounter mouse lag. While Windows 10 automatically updates device drivers, compatibility issues can still arrive. Corrupt mouse drivers can cause Windows 10 Bluetooth mouse lag. You can fix it by updating mouse drivers as shown below.
1. Press the Windows key, type device manager, and click on Open.
2. Double-click on Mice and other pointing devices label to expand it.
3. Right-click on your Bluetooth mouse and select Properties.
4. Go to Driver tab and click on Update Driver.
5. In the following pop-up, select Search automatically for drivers. Windows will search and install any updated driver files automatically.
Note: You can also download the latest driver files from the manufacturer website and install them manually by selecting Browse my computer for drivers and opening them.
If this doesn’t resolve the issue then try uninstalling mouse drivers altogether. To uninstall, right-click on your Bluetooth mouse as shown in Step 3 above and select Uninstall device.
Confirm your action and then restart the PC. Windows will automatically install the required mouse drivers.
Method 6: Disable USB Power Saving
Sometimes Windows can disable USB ports to save power when they are not in use. If your mouse is left ideal for some time, Windows might disable the port to which its receiver is plugged. It will get automatically enabled again with a slight movement of the mouse but you will encounter lag. Follow the steps below to prevent Windows from disabling USB ports.
1. Follow Steps 1 to 3 from Method 5.
2. Go to Power Management tab and uncheck the box marked Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
3. Click on OK.
Method 7: Disable WiFi Bluetooth Collaboration
Wi-Fi Bluetooth Collaboration feature prevents the transmissions of Wi-Fi adapter and Bluetooth adapter from interfering with each other. It can disrupt transmissions from both adapters and can cause Windows 10 Bluetooth mouse lag. You can disable this feature by following the steps below.
1. Type Control Panel in Windows Search bar and click on Open.
2. Click on Networking and Sharing Center option. If you can’t locate click on View by > Large icons.
3. Click on your Wi-Fi connection to open Wi-Fi status window.
4. Under Activity section, click on Properties button.
5. Under Networking click on Configure…
6. Go to Advanced tab in next window and select Bluetooth Collaboration.
7. Select Disabled by opening drop down list of Value.
8. Click OK to save changes.
Also Read: Fix Bluetooth won’t turn ON in Windows 10
Method 8: Reinstall Audio Drivers
Sometimes device drivers can interfere with each other and lead to errors like Bluetooth mouse lagging Windows 10. Drivers like Realtek HD, Realtek AC97 and NVIDIA HD can disrupt functionality of Bluetooth drivers. Uninstalling these audio drivers can fix the problem and you can do that by following the steps below.
1. Open Device Manager from Windows search bar.
2. Double-click on the Sound, video, and game controllers option to expand it.
3. Right-click on Realtek High Defintion Audio or NVIDIA High Definition Audio whichever your audio driver is. Select Uninstall Device.
4. In the following pop-up, check the box marked Delete the driver software for this device and click on Uninstall button to confirm.
5. Reboot your PC after uninstalling the driver.
6. Download your audio driver from the official website.
Although if you continue to experience lag, it possible that your Bluetooth mouse has incurred some damage and needs to be replaced. To help you choose a new mouse, here is a list of 10 Best Mouse Under 500 Rs. in India.
- Top 14 Best Alternative for Windows
- How to Screen Share Netflix on Discord
- Fix Taskbar Right Click Not Working
- Fix Bluetooth Driver Error in Windows 10
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to fix Windows 10 Bluetooth mouse lag issue and Logitech wireless mouse lagging Windows 10. Let us know which method worked for you the best. If you have any queries or suggestions then feel free to drop them in the comments section.