Whenever you connect a Bluetooth device on Windows 10, you can see the name of your Bluetooth device as specified by the device manufacturer. So, if you are connecting your smartphones or your headphones, then the name that gets displayed is the default device manufacturer’s name. This happens for users to identify and connect their Bluetooth devices on Windows 10 easily. However, you may want to rename your Bluetooth devices on Windows 10 because you may have several devices with similar names. We understand that it can get confusing with similar names of your Bluetooth devices on your Bluetooth list. Therefore, to help you out, we have come with a guide to help rename Bluetooth devices on Windows 10.
How to Rename Bluetooth devices on Windows 10
What are the Reasons for renaming Bluetooth devices on Windows 10?
The primary reason for changing the Bluetooth device name on Windows 10 is because when you connect your Bluetooth device to your Windows 10 PC, the name displayed will be the name that is specified by the device manufacturer. For example, connecting your Sony DSLR does not have to show as Sony_ILCE6000Y on your Windows 10; instead, you can change the name to something simple like Sony DSLR.
Ways to rename Bluetooth devices on Windows 10
We have a guide that you can follow for renaming your Bluetooth devices on your Windows 10. Here are the methods that you can follow for renaming the Bluetooth devices on a PC.
Method 1: Rename Bluetooth Device through the Control Panel
You can use this method for easily renaming your Bluetooth device that you connect to your Windows 10 PC. So, if your Bluetooth device has a pretty complicated name, and you want to rename it to something simple, then you may follow these steps.
1. The first step is to turn on the Bluetooth for your Windows 10 PC and the device you want to connect to.
2. Now, wait for both your Bluetooth devices to connect.
3. Once you connect both the devices through Bluetooth, you have to open the Control Panel. For opening the control panel, you can use the run dialog box. Press Windows key + R key to launch the Run dialog box and type ‘Control panel‘ then press enter.
4. In the control panel, you have to open the Hardware and Sound section.
5. Now, click on Devices and Printers from the displayed list of options.
6. In Devices and Printers, you have to select the connected device that you want to rename then right-click on it and choose the Properties option.
7. A new window will pop up, where under the Bluetooth tab, you will see the default name of your connected device.
8. You can edit the default name by clicking on the name field and renaming it as per your preference. In this step, you can easily rename the Bluetooth device and click on Apply to save the changes.
9. Now, turn off the connected device that you have renamed. For applying the new changes, it is important to disconnect your devices and reconnecting them to apply the new changes.
10. After turning off your device, you have to reconnect the device to check if the Bluetooth name changes or not.
11. Again open the Control Panel on your PC, go to the Hardware and Sound section, and then click on Devices and Printers.
12. Under devices and printers, you will be able to see the name of the Bluetooth device that you recently changed. The displayed Bluetooth name is the new updated name of your connected Bluetooth device.
Once you have changed the name of your connected Bluetooth device, then this is the name that you are going to see whenever you connect this Bluetooth device on Windows 10. However, there are chances that if the device driver gets an update, then your Bluetooth device name is reset to the default.
Moreover, if you remove your connected Bluetooth device from the paired list, and pair it again on windows 10, then you will see the default name of your Bluetooth device, which you may have to rename again by following the above steps.
Furthermore, if you change your Bluetooth device’s name on your Windows 10 system, then the name that you have changed will only apply to your system. This means if you are connecting the same Bluetooth device on another Windows 10 PC, then you will see the default name, which the device manufacturer specifies.
Also Read: Fix Low Bluetooth Volume on Android
Method 2: Rename the Bluetooth name of your Windows 10 PC
In this method, you can rename the Bluetooth name for your Windows 10 PC that gets displayed on other Bluetooth devices. You can follow these steps for this method.
1. The first step is to open the Settings app on your Windows 10 system. For this, Press Windows Key + I to open Settings.
2. In Settings, you have to click on the System section.
3. In the system section, locate and open the ‘About’ tab from the screen’s left panel.
4. You will see the option of Rename this PC. Click on it to rename your Windows 10 PC.
5. A window will pop up, where you can easily type a new name for your PC.
6. After you rename your PC, click on Next to proceed.
7. Select the option of restart now.
8. Once you restart your PC, you can open the Bluetooth setting to check if there is a change in your discoverable Bluetooth name.
- How to Connect a Bluetooth Device on Windows 10
- How to Fix Bluetooth problems in Windows 10
- How To Transfer Files From Android Internal Storage To SD Card
We hope the above guide was helpful and you were able to rename Bluetooth devices on your Windows 10 PC. Now, you can easily rename your Bluetooth devices and give them a simple name. If you know any other methods for renaming your Bluetooth devices on windows 10, let us know in the comments below.