Are you looking for an OCR tool for Windows 10? There is plenty of OCR software for Windows 10 available to assist you with extracting text from images and converting them into searchable files. These programs convert a wide variety of image files to well-known file formats, including Word, Excel, and Plain Text. The following is a list of the best OCR software free hand-picked, along with popular features and links to the individual websites. The list includes both open-source and commercial applications.
- 25+ Best OCR Software for Free on Windows 10
- 1. Easy Screen OCR
- 2. Amazon Textract
- 3. FineScanner
- 4. OnlineOCR
- 5. Cisdem PDF Converter
- 6. Soda PDF
- 7. LightPDF
- 8. Nanonets
- 9. Adobe Acrobat
- 10. ABBYY Cloud Reader
- 11. OmniPage Ultimate
- 12. Readiris
- 13. Ocr.space
- 14. Symphony
- 15. Softworks
- 16. Google Cloud
- 17. OneNote
- 18. Chronoscan
- 19. Infrrd
- 20. Rossum
- 21. Wondershare PDFelement Pro
- 22. PDFMate PDF Converter
- 23. SimpleOCR
- 24. Text Scanner [OCR]
- 25. Scanbot SDK
- 26. Text Fairy
- 27. OCR Text Scanner
- 28. Evernote Scannable
25+ Best OCR Software for Free on Windows 10
OCR (optical character reader/recognition) is the computerized conversion of pictures to written text. It is the process of examining characters written on paper, identifying the form by detecting dark and light patterns, and then transferring the shape into computer text via character recognition. The two primary functions of OCR are document storage and re-use of documents and their contents.
1. Easy Screen OCR
Easy Screen OCR may be used to turn images into editable text files and is considered one of best free OCR software on Windows 10 due to the following reasons:
- It allows you to take screenshots and extract text rapidly.
- They can extract text from screenshots and images and translate it into several languages.
- It allows you to drag and drop files to upload them.
- Easy Screen OCR deletes all submitted files after 30 minutes.
- You may extract text from images without registering.
- This service utilizes Google’s learning service to keep your cloud data safe.
- You can use up to five photos in the conversion.
- Easy Screen OCR may be used to generate a shortcut for easy access.
- There’s no need to retype the text from photographs.
- Easy Screen OCR recognizes over 100 languages from across the world. Chinese-Simplified, English, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, French, Spanish, Thai, Arabic, Russian, and other languages are supported.
2. Amazon Textract
Amazon’s Textract is also one of best free OCR software on Windows 10. It is a service for extracting text from scanned documents and is worth a shot for the following features:
- It is linked to Amazon’s Augmented AI service for document processing.
- It indicates textual content in the shape of a form or a table.
- It may be used to automate document processing and efficiently manage enormous volumes of data.
- It automatically pulls data from forms.
- Textract can read practically any type of document.
- The most important data is automatically recognized.
- The quality of the document can be changed by percentages.
- Within your document, Textract recognizes rows, columns, and essential values.
- The extraction process may be integrated into your workflow, allowing you to be more productive throughout the day.
- The Selective Context Attentional Scene Text Recognizer from Amazon makes extracting text from complicated backdrop photos much easier.
Also Read: 27 Best Alternatives to Microsoft Word
FineScanner is a sophisticated scanner that converts papers and books into searchable text format. It is one of best free OCR software on Windows 10 due to the following notable features:
- You can modify the result file when the scan is finished.
- It can read anything on your phone’s screen, including icons, links, and buttons.
- To acquire PDFs, scan documents, and open books, FineScanner uses commands from your virtual assistant.
- The outcomes can be disseminated to others.
- It works on both the iPad and the iPhone.
OnlineOCR recognizes characters and text from PDF documents and images and can be given a try for the features listed below:
- Text may be extracted from images and PDFs.
- English, Chinese, and French are just a few languages it may be utilized in.
- OnlineOCR can read BMP (Bit Map), PNG (Portable Network Graphics), zip files, and other file formats.
- Converting text to Word, Excel, RTF, and plain text is possible.
- This service may be used to integrate converted files into your website.
- It can convert more than 15 photographs into editable text forms every hour.
- It can convert scanned photos and PDF files to editable Word, Excel, and plain text formats.
- Converting up to 15 pages per hour is possible with the free OCR program.
- You may sign up for free and access advanced capabilities like multipage PDF conversion.
- GIF, TIFF, BMP, and JPG files can all be used as input.
5. Cisdem PDF Converter
Cisdem is a user-friendly PDF converter and one of the best on this list of best free OCR software due to the features listed below:
- The application also allows you to maintain the original formatting of words, photos, tables, and objects.
- It can convert PDF files to Microsoft Office, Apple’s iWork, and various other formats.
- The only platform that this tool supports is iOS.
- It assists you in converting PDF files into searchable documents.
- Multiple PDFs can be converted to a variety of document formats.
- It can convert Word, PowerPoint, HTML, EPUB, and other documents to PDF.
Also Read: 16 Best Ad Blocking Extension for Chrome
6. Soda PDF
Soda PDF converts paper and picture files into editable PDF files and is best free OCR software on Windows 10 due to the following features:
- It identifies text from many documents at the same time.
- Soda PDF allows you to change the font type, style, and size.
- It saves files on the server for 24 hours.
- This application may be used both on and off the Internet.
- Images in PDF files may be converted to plain text with ease.
- The URL between the server and browser is encrypted by this tool.
LightPDF is a web-based program that converts and manages scanned PDF files into editable text formats.
- Although the site is free to use, the premium edition offers many more features.
- This technology encrypts all of your personal information.
- PPT, TXT, RTF, and more formats may be converted from images and PDFs.
- With a single mouse click, you may add files.
- LightPDF is simple to use.
- The web portal comes in two editions, each with a wide range of functions for rapidly and conveniently handling PDFs.
- LightPDF offers a speech-to-text tool in addition to their online OCR software, making note-taking easier than before.
- It’s also capable of retrieving information from video and audio files.
- You can combine documents, annotate, rotate PDFs, and add or delete passwords for document security.
- It allows you to pick many languages for text recognition.
- You can scan files that are larger than 30 MB.
NanoNets is an artificial intelligence-based one of best free OCR software that digitizes data from various corporate documents and photos.
- You may automate laborious data extraction operations by collecting only the data/information you want.
- Invoices, tax forms, purchase orders, bank statements, insurance forms, medical forms, ID cards, and a range of other documents may all be used to extract data.
- Only the data you want is exported to Excel, CSV, JSON, XML, or Word files that you customize.
- It adheres to the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- On-premise deployment is supported.
- Automate time-consuming and error-prone manual document processing procedures to boost productivity.
- It can search for PDF files.
- It has quick API responses.
- It connects to ERP systems, databases, and cloud storage services.
9. Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Acrobat is an optical character recognition (OCR) software program that converts scanned PDF files and images into searchable and editable documents.
- Any printed document may be modified in real-time.
- You can swiftly cut and paste the text into other programs with it.
- Acrobat may be used to export the file to Microsoft Office.
- Converting scanned documents to PDF files allows you to move data from one location to another.
- This application lets you to create papers that have the same look and feel as the original.
- It has bespoke typefaces that resemble printouts.
- Adobe Acrobat Pro DC allows you to access and share your PDF files anywhere.
- You may examine a report on your phone, modify a proposal on your tablet, and comment on a presentation on your browser with this program.
- You can accomplish more without skipping a beat.
- With Adobe Acrobat Pro DC’s OCR feature, you can immediately extract text from scanned documents and convert them to editable PDFs.
10. ABBYY Cloud Reader
ABBYY Cloud Reader is an application that recognizes an entire printed or handwritten page and is considered one of the best OCR software free tools due to the following features:
- It recognizes over 200 different languages.
- You may use this tool to convert PDF/image files into searchable MS Word, Excel, PDF, and other formats.
- It can convert, edit, share, and collaborate on PDFs and scans in the digital workplace.
- It’s an all-in-one OCR and PDF software tool that helps you operate more efficiently with documents.
- It has many useful functions for documents, including converting a scanned picture to text with pinpoint precision.
- It works on mobile devices as well as desktop PCs.
- This tool can recognize receipts and business cards.
- ABBYY Cloud Reader provides RESTful services (Representational State Transfer).
- It converts data into the XML format (Extensible Markup Language).
- A Java, .NET, iOS, and Python library are included in this program.
11. OmniPage Ultimate
OmniPage Ultimate is a piece of software that makes it simple to modify and search your documents.
- With no effort, it can scan files into any format.
- It provides document formats that are ready to utilize.
- This program may be used with mobile phones and printers.
- It works with various programs, including Microsoft Office, HTML, and others.
- This program may be accessed through the Internet.
- This application recognizes more than 120 languages.
Also Read: 13 Best Mininova Alternatives
Readiris is one of the best software that automatically transforms text from paper documents or photographs to text.
- It enables you to make changes to the document without retyping everything.
- It can provide output in different forms.
- Readiris is capable of reading your books in whatever format you want.
- The tool is available for both Windows and Mac OS X.
- Readiris is a program that allows you to alter the text that is embedded in a picture.
- Files may be exported to Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, among other formats.
OCR.space is a service that employs optical character recognition (OCR) to convert text-based pictures into editable file formats.
- You may also use this service to extract text from PDF files.
- This service may also be used to alter a snapshot of a text document.
- Ocr.space does not require registration.
- It does not save any of your data on its servers.
- To convert an editable file to a multi-column text format, use Ocr.space.
- You can select a certain language for your document.
Symphony is a back-end OCR engine that makes it possible to search the text of scanned files.
- You may use this tool to extract text from various formats, including PDF, TIFF (Tagged Image File Format), e-faxes, and email.
- Symphony OCR is a tool that recognizes text in PDF files, including scanned images.
- It is possible to copy and paste text from the documents.
- It allows you to perform a text search within the document.
- This utility is compatible with SharePoint, ShareFile, and other comparable apps.
Softworks is an optical character recognition (OCR) program that lets you extract information from photos.
- It helps you eliminate human entry while also giving your firm an automated option.
- It helps to improve the quality of scanned documents.
- Softworks accepts a multitude of file types as input.
- It uses a computer vision algorithm to analyze the processed page.
- This program may detect existing text layers within an image or document.
16. Google Cloud
Google Cloud Vision is a text-detection API for pictures. As you are familiar with most of the Google apps, this tool is one among the best for the following reasons:
- It can convert picture file formats such as PDF, PNG, JPEG, and others to machine-readable text.
- This application is compatible with a PC, an Android phone, an iPhone, an iPad, and other mobile devices.
- In images, it can recognize handwriting.
- It saves text to an online storage site using cloud technology.
- Google Cloud detects image files in the cloud automatically.
Next on the list is OneNote by Microsoft is software that allows you to copy text from a printed or an image using optical character recognition.
- Typography, highlighting, and pen markings can enhance your notes.
- This software will aid you in making changes to the file.
- It allows you to extract text from a printed document.
- OneNote allows you to extract text from a business card.
- You may paste copied text using the keyboard shortcut.
- OneNote also has OCR, which allows you to copy text from a photo or a file printing and paste it into your notes so you may edit the contents.
- After extracting it, you may paste the text into OneNote or another software, such as Outlook or Word.
- With only one click, you may convert information printed in a picture to text.
Chronoscan is a data extraction and document processing program, and you must give it a try for the following features:
- It allows you to scan a huge number of documents quickly.
- It’s versatile and simple to use.
- This tool scans documents in a fraction of seconds.
- You can upload documents to the cloud using this tool.
- This tool assists you in quickly organizing your content.
- Text may be extracted from PDF files with ease.
- Documents can be sent to ERP software (Enterprise Resource Planning).
- It aids in the reduction of data entering efforts.
Infrrd is an OCR program with excellent features that are listed below:
- It allows you to transform papers into files that are easy to read.
- This program can remove words from contracts, financial papers, and medical records.
- The Infrrd app can instantly detect titles and text.
- It allows you to use machine learning to filter text from Infrrd.
- You may connect it to your existing CRM system (Customer Relationship Management).
- The data from the invoice is extracted using AI (Artificial Intelligence) technology.
- Documents can be categorized into many categories.
- It offers OCR services for all document types.
Rossum is excellent for minimizing the danger of human mistakes while entering data and never miss trying this app for its following features:
- Its AI OCR service is well-known for its high OCR accuracy.
- Rossum can be employed for various purposes. Just a few examples are Microsoft Dynamics, QuickBooks, and SAP.
- It’s perfect for receipts, invoices, and other vital printed documents.
- The corporation is so sure of its software that it claims it is 98 percent correct.
- Even though invoices come in a wide variety of forms and styles, Rossum can extract all the information you want.
- For exact pricing, you will need to get a quote from Rossum.
Also Read: How to Disable Microsoft Word Spell Checker
Another desktop program with an OCR capability is Wondershare PDFelement Pro, and has the following features:
- Text in scanned and picture PDFs may be recognized and edited.
- You can easily convert PDF to Word, Excel, PPT, JPG, PNG, RTF, and other formats with this tool.
- The converter is simple to use and produces high-quality output.
- With Wondershare PDFelement Pro’s OCR capability, you can not only detect and alter the text in any scanned and image PDF files, but you can also search and copy text from any scanned and image PDF files.
- The OCR supports English, Portuguese, Japanese, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Bulgarian, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Croatian, Catalan, Greek, and more.
22. PDFMate PDF Converter
PDFMate PDF Converter is a free, simple, and best free OCR software that converts PDF files to various formats and is one of best free OCR software on Windows 10 for the features listed below:
- You won’t have any problems copying or editing PDF files if you use them.
- You may also use the free PDF tool to convert JPG to PDF.
- Using the freeware’s built-in OCR technology, users may convert scanned PDFs to editable text or Microsoft Word files.
- PDFMate PDF Converter supports the following languages: English, Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Korean, Latin, Turkish, Greek, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Romanian, and more.
- After importing an image PDF file into the program, go to advanced settings, turn on OCR, and choose text as the output format.
- Once a few seconds, the status bar will reflect success after pressing the convert button.
- Following that, you can see that each character has been correctly recognized.
- Batch conversion is a simple and speedy process.
SimpleOCR is the greatest OCR software for multi-column text, non-standard typefaces, and color photographs that may not be the best quality since this tool will provide high-quality output.
- SimpleOCR is a quick and free program to use if you have a scanner and want to avoid retyping your papers.
- The SimpleOCR freeware is completely unrestricted.
- SimpleOCR is free for home users, educational institutions, and even business users.
- It’s simple to use.
- It has a built-in spell-checker to ensure that the converted text is error-free.
- SimpleOCR presently recognizes both English and French.
24. Text Scanner [OCR]
Text Scanner [OCR] is an Android app that scans texts and is one of the well-known best OCR software considering the significant features listed below:
- It helps in photo-to-text conversion.
- This application can automatically recognize characters in an image.
- It supports over 50 different languages.
- The handwritten paper may be scanned and turned into a digital file.
- Text Scanner [OCR] allows you to send a file to others via email.
- You may save the file to Google Drive.
- It integrates with Google Hangouts, Google+, and other communication tools.
25. Scanbot SDK
Another on the list of best free OCR software on Windows 10 is Scanbot. You may scan and produce documents straight from your smartphone using the Scanbot SDK.
- It provides a System Development Kit (SDK) that can easily be integrated into Android and iOS applications.
- It instantly recognizes text in scanned photographs.
- It is possible to extract text from documents and turn it into searchable and editable files.
- This program is compatible with all major operating systems.
- You need the Internet to utilize the tool.
- Scanbot SDK recognizes characters in Latin, Arabic, Asian, and other languages.
- Scanning a multipage PDF file is possible.
26. Text Fairy
Text Fairy is an Android OCR app and worth a try for the following features:
- Text may be scanned from photographs or photos shot with the camera with this program.
- It is capable of extracting text from scanned images.
- This program automatically modifies the image for a better result.
- The file that is created can then be modified.
- It is capable of converting photographs to PDF files.
- It can recognize print in over 50 different languages.
- While using Text Fairy, it does not display any advertisements.
Also Read: 21 Best Free Visio Alternatives Online
27. OCR Text Scanner
To recognize text in scanned documents, utilize OCR Text Scanner. This is one of best free OCR software to consider for the following reasons:
- It’s a simple tool to transform handwritten or typed text into editable text.
- It can recognize text in more than 30 languages.
- The clipboard can be used to copy text.
- You may send a document using the OCR Text Scanner.
- You may use this software to save a quote from a magazine or book.
- It can read a written text and recognize the format.
- Both online and offline use is possible with the OCR Text Scanner.
- You may email the extracted file to others using the OCR Text Scanner.
- It detects text written on the scanned paper automatically.
28. Evernote Scannable
Evernote Scannable is a smartphone application that lets you scan paper and turn it into editable documents.
- It allows you to email or text message the converted file.
- Scanning is possible for receipts, business cards, contracts, and other documents.
- It automatically rotates, cuts, and edits photos.
- Papers can be saved as JPG or PDF files in Evernote.
- Business cards may be used to quickly and readily acquire contact information.
- This application is compatible with the iPad, iPhone, and iPod devices.
- How to Delete Plenty of Fish Dating Account
- Fix Windows 10 Critical Error Start Menu and Cortana Aren’t Working
- 25 Best Free Web Crawler Tools
- 24 Best Free Typing Software for PC
We hope that this article was helpful and that you have chosen your favorite best free OCR software tool on Windows 10. Share your thoughts, queries, and suggestions in the comment section below. Also, you can suggest us the missing tools. Let us know what you want to learn next.