Being on social platforms like Instagram is tough these days, especially for the creators who are very popular on this platform. Receiving hateful or sometimes abusive comments on their posts raises a question about the safety of users on such a popular social media platform. Instagram has a feature to restrict the accounts that on purpose bully you socially, send hateful or abusive comments on your posts, or even direct message you some inappropriate messages. If you want to know how restricting someone on Instagram works and if there is any way for restricting someone without notifying them, you are at the right place. We will also let you know the difference between restricting vs blocking on Instagram and what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram. So, continue reading!
What Happens When You Restrict Someone on Instagram?
Keep reading further to learn the consequences after you restrict someone on Instagram and the differences between restricting vs blocking on Instagram in detail.
What Does Restricting Mean in Instagram?
Restricting doesn’t mean blocking, but it’s a little similar to blocking. Restricting an Insta account will only mute the account. In simpler words, it hides the person’s messages and comments. The person will still be able to see your posts. Even after restricting, the person can still comment on your posts, but those comments are only visible to them and you. You won’t receive any notification from the restricted account.
Why Should You Restrict Someone on Instagram?
When someone bullies you online and puts abusive or hateful comments on your post on Instagram, you should restrict the person on Instagram. Restricting someone on Instagram will restrict all the messages, comments, and posts done by that person. Only the restricted account and you can see all its messages, comments, and posts. It won’t notify you anymore once you restrict someone.
What Happens After You Restrict Someone?
Once you restrict any account on Instagram, the consequences are:
- All the messages, comments, stories, and posts won’t show up to you anyway.
- Comments done by a restricted account on your Instagram post will only be visible to them, not anyone else.
- The restricted account won’t be able to know the status of your account, whether you are online or offline.
Restricting an account is a safety feature on Instagram, so you don’t need to block the person or unfollow them. You are just minimizing the interactions with the person. This is what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram.
How to Restrict Someone on Instagram?
While knowing what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram, you may also want to know how to do the same. If someone has been giving you trouble through Instagram, Instagram has a solution for that. To restrict someone on Instagram, follow these simple steps:
1. Open the Instagram app on your phone.
2. Tap on the profile icon.
3. From your profile screen, tap on Following.
4. Search for the desired account you want to restrict and tap on the desired result.
5. Tap on the three-dotted icon from the top right corner.
6. Tap on Restrict to restrict the person.
The process of restricting an Instagram account is the same as above for Instagram lite users.
Can You Still See Someone’s Post After Restricting Him/Her?
Yes, you can still see the post of the person you restricted. It’s the same for both. You and the restricted person can see each other’s posts and stories without any issues. But all the comments from the restricted account on your post will only be visible to you and the person itself. You have full control to make that control public. So, this is what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram.
Can You Restrict Someone Without Them Knowing?
Yes, restricting someone without notifying them is simple and easy. Restricting won’t block the person; it just mutes the comments and direct messages.
Can You Get Notified If Someone Restricts You on Instagram?
No, you won’t get any notification if someone restricts you on Instagram. Eventually, you won’t be able to notice whether the person has restricted you or not. All the posts are still visible to you, but any comment on their post and DM’s won’t get notified to them. Well, on the other hand, you will receive all sorts of notifications from the person who restricted you.
What is the Difference Between Restricting and Blocking?
The differences between restricting vs blocking on Instagram are as follows:
- Restricting means minimizing the interaction with someone to a certain level, and blocking means completely stopping the interaction with someone.
- Restricting an account will mute all the comments on your post, whereas blocking won’t allow the person to comment on your post.
- All the posts and stories are still visible to the restricted account, but for the blocked account, stories and posts are not visible .
- For restricted accounts, all direct messages will be marked as a request, account status can’t be seen, and the person who restricted you won’t receive any notification from you. On the other hand, the blocked account will stop all sorts of messaging to the person who has blocked you.
Can You Hide Your Profile From Someone Without Restricting or Blocking Him/Her?
No, you can’t hide your profile from some specific person without restricting or blocking him/her. You can change your account visibility to private to restrict the visibility of your posts. However, your profile picture, followers, and following are still visible to everyone. If you want to hide your profile completely from everyone, you can deactivate your account.
- How to Hide Data Usage Details in T-Mobile
- What Happens If You Forgot Your Amazon Password?
- How to Watch Instagram Live Anonymously
- What Happens When You Temporarily Disable Instagram?
We hope this article has answered all your questions regarding What happens when you restrict someone on Instagram, how to restrict someone, and the difference between restricting vs blocking on Instagram. You can let us know any queries about this article or suggestions about any other topic you want us to make an article on. Drop them in the comments section below for us to know.