Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger were the first to introduce Instagram for iOS in October 2010. The app quickly gained traction, registering one million users in just two months, 10 million in a year, and one billion by June 2018. Instagram is a social media tool for sharing pictures and videos run by the American business Meta. Users of the app can upload content that can be altered using filters, arranged by hashtags, and classified by location. Public or pre-approved followers may share comments. Users can view trending material, like photos, follow other users to add their stuff to a personal feed and explore other users’ information by using tags and locations. If you are someone looking for tips about the same, we bring you a helpful guide that will teach you how to delete IG story and access story draft on Instagram.
How to See and Delete IG Story Drafts
Keep reading further to find the steps explaining how to delete IG story in detail with useful illustrations for better understanding.
Instagram introduced Stories in August 2016, giving users the option to capture photographs or snippets, edit them with effects and layers, and post them to an Instagram story. After 24 hours, images posted to a user’s account as a story expire. You will not be concerned about over-posting with Instagram Stories. Instead, you are free to share as much as you like, however freely you like, throughout the day or even. The pictures and videos won’t stay on your feed after a day.
Sometimes you might not be completely sure about posting a picture or a clip to your Instagram story. In such a case, instead of posting the story and wondering how to delete IG story, you can simply draft the story, thus saving it for later. This will ensure that when you wish to check that piece of content again, you will find it with the same edits and filter you used before drafting it on Instagram. Your Instagram story drafts are kept secure in Instagram’s database. They can be accessed easily when you open the app and go to the STORY tab > Drafts.
Note: Draft is different from downloading your Instagram story. Downloaded story content can be viewed in your device gallery.
Also Read: Where to Find Passwords on Mac?
Instagram stories that are saved as drafts will automatically expire after seven days, unlike posts and reels. The stickers, music, as well as other elements you have applied, will not be retained if you save the draft to your device and then try to upload it again.
Instagram’s daily active story users surpassed 400 million in June 2018, and the platform’s monthly active user base has exceeded 1 billion users globally. So many people around the world share stories with their followers to create engagement and socialize. With the new update in March 2022, Instagram now allows users to save their story as a draft before posting.
To access story drafts on Instagram, you can follow the steps given below:
Note: Make sure you are logged into your account.
2. Tap on Your story from the top bar.
3. Tap on Allow to give permission to open your camera, access media from your device, and other permissions, like location or microphone access to delete IG story draft.
4. Tap on the Gallery icon from the bottom left corner.
5. Tap on the Drafts tab.
6. You can access the desired story draft from here.
Also Read: How to Delete a Draft Reel on Instagram
As mentioned before, Instagram story drafts have a time limit. After 24 hours, they will disappear automatically and you cannot find them in your drafts. Other reasons that can also cause this problem are as follows:
- You uninstalled the IG application from your device. This means all the app data stored on your phone was deleted, and that includes your drafts.
- A common glitch in the Instagram app can also cause this issue. Some users have complained about their reels and saved content being removed without any prior notice. Please check if your app has received the latest update.
- Your draft could have violated Instagram’s Terms of Service (TOS). In this case, usually, you would be notified beforehand.
Yes. Of course, you can delete a draft on Instagram. The very purpose of making a draft in the first place is to ensure you have a copy of the content that you wished to post sometime later, or if you know how to delete IG story but now want it back. Whether for your story or your Instagram feed, all drafts on Instagram can be edited and deleted whenever you want.
To delete a story draft on Instagram, you can follow the steps given below:
Note: This is to show you how to delete story draft and not how to delete IG story.
1. Open the Instagram app and tap on Your story.
2. Tap on the Gallery icon > Drafts.
3. Tap on Select from the right side of your screen to choose to delete IG story draft.
4. Select the desired story draft that you want to delete.
5. Tap on Delete.
6. Now, tap on Delete from the confirmation popup. Your story draft will be deleted.
No, unfortunately, you cannot recover deleted Instagram story drafts. Story drafts are part of a very new update patch on the Instagram app; hence once you delete them, you cannot restore them. Even after seven days, the story draft you have saved expires permanently.
Note: You can restore posts, stories, videos, and even reels when you delete them. Story drafts are stories that were not posted, so you cannot access them after they have been deleted.
- How to Turn Off Trending Searches on Google Chrome
- How to See Archived Messages on Facebook Messenger
- Why Did Your Instagram Drafts Disappear?
- How to Edit and Save a Draft on TikTok
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to learn how to delete IG story on Instagram. You can let us know any queries or suggestions about any other topic you want us to make an article on. Drop them in the comments section below for us to know.