WhatsApp is more fun and creative which is helpful to connect to friends, family members, office colleagues, and a lot more people anywhere, anytime. But, similar to other online apps, WhatsApp is not perfect at times. Some users complain that the app can’t work at times and closes automatically with a crash. Don’t panic! This is a simple problem that everyone can tackle on their own. When you face WhatsApp keeps crashing issue, you must know what is causing the problem, this enables you to fix the issue by following the appropriate troubleshooting methods. This guide will help you fix WhatsApp crashing Android issues with effective and simple hacks. So, continue reading!
- How to Fix WhatsApp Keeps Crashing on Android
- Method 1: Restart WhatsApp
- Method 2: Reboot Android
- Method 3: Ensure Network Stability
- Method 4: Verify WhatsApp Server Status
- Method 5: Enable Background Data
- Method 6: Force Close WhatsApp
- Method 7: Allow All Permissions
- Method 8: Enable WhatsApp Sync
- Method 9: Delete WhatsApp Cache
- Method 10: Clear Android Storage
- Method 11: Clear WhatsApp Media
- Method 12: Run Malware Scan
- Method 13: Update WhatsApp
- Method 14: Update Android OS
- Method 15: Reinstall WhatsApp
- Method 16: Factory Reset Android Device
- Method 17: Contact WhatsApp Support
How to Fix WhatsApp Keeps Crashing on Android
Here are some reasons that contribute to the discussed issue.
- Network connection is not stable.
- WhatsApp server is down.
- You have not enabled background data, hence the app crashes when you turn on battery saver mode.
- Proper permissions are not granted on WhatsApp.
- Corrupt WhatsApp cache and data.
- There is not enough space on your Android.
- Malware, bugs, or virus attack.
- Outdated app and Android OS.
- Software bugs.
When you face the problem, you might not directly reinstall the app. Here are some amazing simple hacks that will help you fix WhatsApp keeps crashing Android issue at ease.
Note: Since smartphones don’t have the same Settings options, and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer hence, ensure the correct settings before changing any. The said steps were performed on the Redmi phone.
Method 1: Restart WhatsApp
Restarting WhatsApp is the simplest method to fix the frequent crashing problem. The steps are very easy and you can implement them by just closing and reopening the app. You can also close the app by using the multitasking menu.
1. Exit from the WhatsApp app.
2. Then, go to Home screen and open the recently opened applications.
3. Now, tap the X icon corresponding to WhatsApp.
4. Reopen WhatsApp and check if you face the issue again.
Method 2: Reboot Android
If you still face WhatsApp keeps crashing Android issue even after restarting the app, then you must check when you restarted your phone last time. If your phone has been restarted for a very long time, you have to consider restarting your Android. Follow the below-mentioned steps to restart your Android.
1. Press the Power button on your device.
2. Tap the Reboot option or Power off option.
Note: If you tap the Power off option, you have to hold your Power button again to restart your phone.
3. Once your Android restarts, check if you were able to access WhatsApp without any issues.
Also Read: 3 Ways To Disable Whatsapp Calling
Method 3: Ensure Network Stability
If you have adequate Wi-Fi or a 4G signal, you will not face any network connectivity issues. Network connectivity issues may result in a slow run of the app or a delay in messaging services. Yet, sometimes it may crash the application. To resolve the problem, you have to check whether you have turned on the data connection on your device as instructed below.
1. Tap the Settings icon on the Home Screen.
2. Now, tap the SIM cards & mobile networks option as shown.
3. Then, toggle on the Mobile data option.
4. If you want to use a roaming network when you are out of your geographic location, tap Advanced settings as depicted.
Note: The international data roaming service may cost you extra.
5. Now, tap International roaming and select Always as shown.
6. Now, tap on Data roaming.
7. Next, tap Turn on if you are prompted.
Now, check if you were able to fix WhatsApp crashing issue.
Method 4: Verify WhatsApp Server Status
Sometimes, WhatsApp keeps crashing issue that is not related to your device at all. Yes, you read that right. Some server-side errors do happen rarely, triggering the issue. So, check if WhatsApp servers are down by followingbelow-mentionedioned steps.
1. Navigate to the official site of Downdetector.
2. You must receive User reports indicate no current problems at Whatsapp message.
2A. If you receive the same message, then there are no server-side errors. Follow the methods discussed in this article to fix WhatsApp crashing issue.
2B. If you monitor any unusual messages, then you have to wait until it is resolved.
Method 5: Enable Background Data
Despite turning on mobile data, you must turn on background data usage to ensure your phone makes use of internet connection even in data saver mode. Follow as demonstrated.
1. Go to the Settings app.
2. Then, tap on Apps.
3. Then, tap on Manage apps followed by WhatsApp as shown.
4. Then, tap on Restricted data usage.
5. Now, Select both Wi-Fi and Mobile data (SIM 1) and Mobile data (SIM 2) if applicable.
6. Finally, tap OK.
Method 6: Force Close WhatsApp
The Force close of WhatsApp is different from restarting it. When you force close your app, all the processes and data will be forcibly shut down leading to data loss. Yet, all the background tasks will be closed fixing WhatsApp keeps crashing Android.
1. Launch the Settings app.
2. Now, tap on Apps.
3. Then, tap on Manage apps and next WhatsApp.
4. Then, tap on Force stop.
5. Finally, if you are prompted, tap OK as shown.
Now, relaunch WhatsApp and check if you can fix WhatsApp crashing issue or not.
Also Read: How to Change Font Style in WhatsApp
Method 7: Allow All Permissions
Few features of WhatsApp will resist opening when you do not grant adequate permissions. Make sure you have to enable all the permissions for the app as instructed below.
1. Tap on the Settings app.
2. Next, tap on Apps and then tap Manage apps.
3. Now, tap on WhatsApp as shown.
4. Next, tap App permissions.
5. Then, check if you have granted permission for WhatsApp under the ALLOWED menu.
6. If you find some pending permissions under NOT ALLOWED LIST, then tap that option.
Note: Here, the SMS permission is taken as an example.
7. Then, tap ALLOW option.
Check if you can fix WhatsApp crashing issue.
Method 8: Enable WhatsApp Sync
Some users have confirmed that enabling the WhatsApp sync option helped them to fix WhatsApp keeps crashing issue. Here are a few instructions to enable WhatsApp sync on your Android device.
1. Tap the Settings icon to open the app.
2. Now, tap on Accounts & sync.
3. Now, toggle on the Auto-sync data option and tap on the Sync option next to WhatsApp as shown.
Now, your WhatsApp data will be synced. Check if you can fix WhatsApp crashing Android issue now.
Also Read: How to use WhatsApp without a Phone Number
Method 9: Delete WhatsApp Cache
Every application on your device will make use of the cache system to enhance the performance by consuming very low resources. But, this cache will not help you when they bulge over days. Sometimes they may be corrupt causing you the trouble. Hence, you have to clear the app cache as instructed below to fix the same.
1. Navigate to Home Screen and tap the Settings icon.
2. Then, tap on Apps.
3. Now, tap on Manage apps > WhatsApp.
4. Next, tap on Storage.
5. Then, tap Clear data and then, Clear cache as shown.
6. Please tap Clear all data when you want to delete all the WhatsApp data.
Finally, check if you can fix WhatsApp crashing Android issue.
Method 10: Clear Android Storage
Consider a situation, where you have 100+ unread messages on WhatsApp. In this case, your app runs slower than usual. In addition, when you have minimum RAM and ROM storage with almost used space, not only WhatsApp crashes. Even all applications do. So, explore your internal space/ SD card space and clear the unnecessary files occupying the space. This helps you clear WhatsApp keeps crashing Android issue.
1. Open File Manager on your Android device.
2. Now, tap the three-lined icon at the top left of the screen.
3. Now, tap Deep clean as shown.
4. Now, tap Clean now corresponding to the category through which you want to free some space.
5. Now, select all the unnecessary files and tap Delete selected files as depicted.
6. Now, confirm the prompt by tapping OK and reboot your phone. Then, check if you were able to use WhatsApp without any crashing issues.
Also Read: How to Export WhatsApp Chat as PDF
Method 11: Clear WhatsApp Media
If clearing phone storage does not help you, you can try clearing WhatsApp media from every chat if they occupy too much internal space on your device. Follow the below-mentioned steps to clear WhatsApp media.
1. Navigate to WhatsApp.
2. Here, tap the three-dotted icon at the top corner. Next, choose Settings.
3. Next, tap Storage and data.
4. Now, tap on Manage storage.
5. Select any chat that has high data usage.
6. Here, check the Select all box.
7. Once you have chosen the files to be deleted, tap the Trash icon.
8. Repeat these steps to delete media from all the chats if they seem to be unnecessary.
Method 12: Run Malware Scan
If there are any malicious files or bugs in your device you will face WhatsApp keeps crashing issue. Ensure you have recently installed any APK files or downloaded any new apps. If yes, uninstall the apps and check if you have fixed the issue. You can also try installing an antivirus app and run a malware scan to ensure your device is safe or not. Read our guide 10 Best Free Antivirus Software for Android to get an idea about which app to choose and how to use it. Here are a few instructions to run malware scans on Android using a third-party application.
1. Open the Play Store on your Android mobile.
2. Now, search for any antivirus software as depicted.
3. Then, tap the Install button.
4. Wait for the installation to be completed and tap Open to launch the app.
Note: The steps to scan your Android device may vary depending upon the software you use. Here, Avast Antivirus – Scan & Remove Virus, Cleaner is taken as an example. Follow the steps according to your software.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions within the app and choose either Advanced protection (needs subscription) or Basic protection (free).
6. Then, tap START SCAN.
7. In the next prompt, allow or disallow the permission prompt to scan your files within the device.
Note: In this app, if you have denied this access, only your apps and settings will be scanned and not your corrupt files.
8. Wait until the app scans your device completely and once done, resolve the risks found by following the on-screen instructions.
9. This will remove the corrupt files or threats from your Android device and so the WhatsApp crashing issue will be resolved now.
Method 13: Update WhatsApp
System updates and app updates play a major role in fixing bugs and maintaining user experience. When you cannot use WhatsApp normally, check if any updates are pending in action. Updates help you introduce a lot of new features in addition you can fix WhatsApp crashing issue too. Follow the below-mentioned steps to update WhatsApp.
1. Navigate to your Home Screen and tap Play Store.
2. Now, search Whatsapp in the search field.
3A. If you see an update available, tap the Update option as shown.
3B. If you see the app is already updated, skip to the next troubleshooting methods.
4. Wait until your app gets updated and check if you have fixed WhatsApp crashing Android issue.
Method 14: Update Android OS
Apart from updating your WhatsApp, you must check whether you are using Android in its updated version. If you are using an older version of your mobile, you have to check if there is an update available and follow the on-screen instructions to update the same. Follow and implement the steps in our guide to upgrade your Android OS as instructed in our guide 3 Ways to Check for Updates on your Android Phone to fix WhatsApp keeps crashing Android issue.
After updating Android OS, check if you can fix WhatsApp crashing problem.
Also Read: How to Use Two WhatsApp in One Android Phone
Method 15: Reinstall WhatsApp
If none of the methods have helped you fix WhatsApp crashing issue, then this means, there is something wrong with the app. One solution you can try is to reinstall the app. If your app is corrupt, uninstalling and reinstalling it will be very helpful. This process will clear all the WhatsApp media. To back up and restore your WhatsApp data, follow our guide on How to Transfer old WhatsApp chats to your new Phone. If you have backed up your data, follow the below-mentioned steps to reinstall WhatsApp.
1. Go to Play Store as you did earlier and search WhatsApp.
2. Now, tap Uninstall as shown.
3. Wait until the app is completely uninstalled from your Android. Then, again search for WhatsApp and tap Install.
4. Once, your app has been installed on your device, tap Open as depicted.
5. Finally, restore your data if you want to do so and check if you can fix the WhatsApp crashing issue.
Method 16: Factory Reset Android Device
If none of the methods has helped you fix the WhatsApp keeps crashing Android issue, then you have to try a factory reset of Android. But, always make a note that you have to reset your mobile until it is extremely necessary since it deletes all of your data.
Note: Before your factory reset your Android, you have to back up all of your data. If you do not know how to back up your Android, follow our guide to Back Up Your Android Phone Data.
To factory reset your mobile, read and implement the steps in our guide How To Hard Reset Any Android Device.
Also Read: 26 Best Bulk WhatsApp Marketing Software
Method 17: Contact WhatsApp Support
Does WhatsApp keep crashing even after reinstalling? If so, then you have to contact the WhatsApp support team to resolve the issue. You are advised to contact official WhatsApp support. This support team helps you resolve issues associated not only with personal WhatsApp but also with Business WhatsApp accounts too.
You can drop your query by giving some mandatory details like Phone Number, Email Address, and search for your particular problem. As a next step, WhatsApp suggests you a list of its articles according to the problem you have submitted.
- Fix Outlook Trying to Connect to Server on Windows 10
- Fix Facebook Keeps Crashing on Android
- Fix Google Play Authentication is Required Error on Android
- Fix WhatsApp Last Seen Not Showing on Android
We hope that this guide was helpful and that you have learned how to fix WhatsApp keeps crashing issue on Android. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Let us know which topic you want us to explore next.