WhatsApp is a social media application that allows you to send messages, files, videos, GIFs, locations, audio, photos, and contacts. When you send pictures to your friend, the chat becomes interesting. But are you experiencing trouble with downloading images and media on WhatsApp? Look no further! In this guide, we will explore effective solutions to fix WhatsApp images and media not downloading.
How to Fix WhatsApp Images and Media Not Downloading
WhatsApp has revolutionized the way people communicate, making it more convenient, cost-effective, and secure. It offers an extensive range of features and a user-friendly interface. But it is not free of errors. Read further to learn the reasons and methods to fix the media not downloading issues.
Follow the below steps to fix the downloading issue on WhatsApp:
1. Open the Play Store and search for WhatsApp.
2. If a pending update is available, tap on Update.
What causes WhatsApp Images and Media Not Downloading?
Before we begin troubleshooting, let us discuss the reasons for WhatsApp images and media not downloading.
- Server downtime
- Temporary glitches
- Poor internet connection
- No permission allowed for storage access
- Insufficient space
- Incorrect date and time settings
- Outdated app version
- Issues in the network settings
Keep reading further to learn how to troubleshoot WhatsApp media not downloading on Android.
Note: Since smartphones don’t have the same Settings options, and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer hence, ensure the correct settings before changing any. These steps were performed on Samsung Galaxy S21 5G.
Method 1: Wait For Server Uptime
WhatsApp images and media not downloading problems can occur if the server is facing downtime. So, no matter what you do to troubleshoot the error, the issue will remain. Therefore, we suggest you check the server status of the discussed application on the Downdetector page. If the server is experiencing downtime, wait for server uptime. On the other hand, if the User report indicates no current problems at WhatsApp is shown to you on the Downdetector page, use the methods provided below.
Method 2: Restart Smartphone
Another possible way to fix WhatsApp couldn’t download images is restarting your handset. It can resolve the temporary glitches that are causing the discussed problem. Use the steps mentioned below to restart your smartphone:
1. Press the Volume Down button and the Power button simultaneously.
2. Tap on Restart.
3. Launch the discussed app on your mobile phone and check whether the issue has been resolved.
Method 3: Force Restart WhatsApp
As the discussed application is not functioning smoothly on your handset, you can force restart the concerned application. When you force restart the discussed application, all the running processes associated with the application gets ended. As a result, the glitches that were causing the issue gets resolved. To learn how to force restart an application, use the steps that we have provided below:
1. Tap on Settings.
2. Next, tap on Apps.
3. Swipe down and tap on WhatsApp.
4. Tap on Force stop.
5. Next, tap on OK.
Method 4: Troubleshoot Internet Connection
I faced WhatsApp failed to download problem because my internet connection was slow. When I fixed the slow internet connection issues, the issue got resolved. Therefore, you should also try to fix the slow internet connection problem. You can refer to our guide to learn How to Boost Internet Speed on Your Android Phone.
Also Read: How to Know If Someone Muted You on WhatsApp
Method 5: Allow Storage Access to WhatsApp
The steps to allow storage access to the discussed application are given below:
1. First, go to Settings > Apps > WhatsApp.
2. Next, tap on Permissions.
5. Swipe and tap on Photos and videos.
6. Tap on the radio button for Allow.
Method 6: Clear Device Storage
When enough storage is not available on your device, you will experience WhatsApp images and media not downloading issues. So, you should ensure that your smartphone has enough space. You can delete unwanted files, videos, documents images on your device. The steps to free up device storage are given below:
1. First, open the app drawer and launch Settings.
2. After that, tap on Battery and Device care.
3. Next, tap on Storage.
4. Here, choose any of the folders as per your preference.
Note: We have selected images.
5. Select all the images that you want to delete. After that, tap on the Delete icon.
Method 7: Set Date and Time to Automatic
The WhatsApp media not downloading Android issue can occur if an incorrect date and time are set on your handset. So, you should set the date and time to automatic, as it will allow your device to connect with the WhatsApp server. The steps to toggle on date and time to automatic are given below:
1. First, open Settings on your smartphone.
2. Now, scroll down and tap on General management.
3. Next, tap on Date and time.
4. Finally, turn on the toggle for Automatic date and time.
Method 8: Update WhatsApp
An old application version may have bugs that can lead to WhatsApp couldn’t download image. Therefore, we suggest you to update the application as the updated version of the application comes with bug fixes. The steps to update the discussed application on your device are given below:
1. First, open the app drawer and launch the Play Store.
2. In the search bar, type WhatsApp and tap on the same result.
3A. If a pending update is available, tap on Update.
3B. If WhatsApp is up to date, it will only show the Open option.
Method 9: Clear WhatsApp Cache
Cache files are temporary, but they take up space on your device. When you clear the discussed app cache, you will free up device storage. Apart from this, the corrupt cache will also get removed. Use the steps to clear the discussed app cache:
1. Launch the Settings app on your smartphone.
2. Choose Apps > WhatsApp.
3. Under App Info, tap on Storage.
4. Finally, tap on Clear cache.
Method 10: Reinstall WhatsApp
If the above-mentioned methods failed to fix WhatsApp images and media not downloading, you could try reinstalling discussed application on your smartphone. When you uninstall the discussed app, you can eliminate all the malware, cache and data causing the concerned problem. However, once you remove the application from your device, you need to reinstall it. The steps to uninstall and reinstall the concerned app are given below:
1. Hold the WhatsApp icon on your phone till you see the Uninstall option.
2. Now, tap on Uninstall and wait till the process is finished.
3. After that, launch the Play Store app and search for WhatsApp.
4. Tap on the Install.
Method 11: Reset Network Settings
If all the above-mentioned methods have failed to fix WhatsApp media not downloading on Android, you should reset network settings. To reset network settings, use the steps that we have provided below:
1. Go to Settings > General Management.
2. After that, swipe down and tap on Reset.
4. Under Reset, tap on Reset network settings.
5. Next, tap on the Reset settings.
- Photoshop vs Canva: Which is the Best Design Tool?
- What are the Games to Play on IG Live?
- How to Know If Someone Muted You on WhatsApp
- How to Unlink WhatsApp from Facebook Page
We hope you learned how to fix WhatsApp images and media not downloading. Use the comments section below to reach out to us. Let us know what you want to learn next.