WhatsApp is a social media application that allows you to send messages, files, videos, GIFs, locations, audio, photos and contact. When you send pictures to your friend, the chat becomes interesting. But many users who use the discussed application have faced WhatsApp images and media not downloading problem. When WhatsApp media not downloading error shows up, one can get annoyed as no one likes disruption when one is chatting with loved ones. If you are also facing the same issue, you are on the right page. Because in this guide, we will tell you the possible reasons for the problem and how to troubleshoot it. So, please keep reading to learn about how to fix WhatsApp failed to download error.
Table of Contents
- How to Fix WhatsApp Images and Media Not Downloading
- Method 1: Wait For Server Uptime
- Method 2: Restart Smartphone
- Method 3: Force Restart WhatsApp
- Method 4: Troubleshoot Internet Connection
- Method 5: Allow Storage Access to WhatsApp
- Method 6: Clear Device Storage
- Method 7: Set Date and Time to Automatic
- Method 8: Update WhatsApp
- Method 9: Clear WhatsApp Cache
- Method 10: Reinstall WhatsApp
- Method 11: Reset Network Settings
How to Fix WhatsApp Images and Media Not Downloading
Before we begin troubleshooting, let us discuss the reasons for WhatsApp images and media not downloading.
- The server is facing downtime.
- Temporary glitches.
- Poor internet connection.
- Storage access is not allowed for photos and videos.
- Space is not available on your smartphone.
- Incorrect date and time settings.
- An outdated version of the discussed application is installed on your device.
- Issues in the network settings.
Keep reading further to learn how to troubleshoot WhatsApp media not downloading Android and WhatsApp failed to download.
Method 1: Wait For Server Uptime
WhatsApp images and media not downloading problems can occur if the server is facing downtime. So, no matter what you do to troubleshoot the error, the issue will remain. Therefore, we suggest you to check the server status of the discussed application on the Downdetector page. If the server is experiencing downtime, wait for server uptime. On the other hand, if the User report indicates no current problems at WhatsApp is shown to you on the Downdetector page, use the methods provided below.
Also Read: WhatsApp for Windows Introduces Call Link Feature
Note: Since smartphones don’t have the same Settings options, and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer hence, ensure the correct settings before changing any. These steps were performed on Samsung Galaxy S21 5G.
Method 2: Restart Smartphone
Another possible way to fix WhatsApp couldn’t download image is restarting your handset. It can resolve the temporary glitches that are causing the discussed problem. Use the steps mentioned below to restart your smartphone:
1. Press the Volume down button and the Power button simultaneously.
2. Tap on Restart.
3. Launch the discussed app on your mobile phone and check whether the issue has been resolved.
Method 3: Force Restart WhatsApp
As the discussed application is not functioning smoothly on your handset, you can force restart the concerned application. When you force restart the discussed application, all the running processes associated with the application gets ended. As a result, the glitches that were causing the issue gets resolved. To learn how to force restart an application, use the steps that we have provided below:
1. Tap on Settings.
2. Next, tap on Apps.
3. Scroll down and tap on WhatsApp.
4. Tap on Force stop.
5. Next, tap on OK
Method 4: Troubleshoot Internet Connection
I faced WhatsApp failed to download problem because my internet connection was slow. When I fixed the slow internet connection issues, the issue got resolved. Therefore, you should also try to fix the slow internet connection problem. You can refer to our guide to learn How to Boost Internet Speed on Your Android Phone. If WhatsApp couldn’t download image issue remains, move to the following methods.
Also Read: How to Know If Someone Muted You on WhatsApp
Method 5: Allow Storage Access to WhatsApp
The steps to allow storage access to the discussed application are given below:
1. First, tap on Settings.
2. Now, scroll down and tap on Apps.
3. After that, tap on WhatsApp.
4. Next, tap on Permissions.
5. Swipe and tap on Photos and videos.
6. Tap on the radio button for Allow.
Keep reading further to learn how to troubleshoot WhatsApp failed to download problem.
Method 6: Clear Device Storage
When enough storage is not available on your device, you will experience WhatsApp images and media not downloading issues. I faced the problem because of this reason. So, you should ensure that your smartphone has enough space. You can delete unwanted files, videos, documents images on your device. The steps to free up device storage are given below:
1. First, open the app drawer and launch Settings.
2. After that, tap on Battery and Device care.
3. Next, tap on Storage.
4. Here, you can choose any of the folders as per your preference.
Note: We have selected images.
5. Select all the images that you want to delete. After that, tap on the Delete icon.
Method 7: Set Date and Time to Automatic
The WhatsApp media not downloading Android issue can occur if an incorrect date and time are set on your handset. So, you should set the date and time to automatic, as it will allow your device to connect with the WhatsApp server. The steps to toggle on date and time to automatic are given below:
1. First, open Settings on your smartphone.
2. Now, scroll down and tap on General management.
3. Next, tap on Date and time.
4. Finally, toggle on Automatic date and time.
Also Read: How to Hide Your WhatsApp Status from Specific Contacts
Method 8: Update WhatsApp
An old application version may have bugs that can lead to WhatsApp couldn’t download image. Therefore, we suggest you to update the application as the updated version of the application comes with bug fixes. The steps to update the discussed application on your device are given below:
1. First, open the app drawer and launch the Play Store.
2. In the search bar, type WhatsApp and tap on the same result.
3. If a pending update is available, tap on Update.
Method 9: Clear WhatsApp Cache
Cache files are temporary, but they take up space on your device. When you clear the discussed app cache, you will free up device storage. Apart from this, the corrupt cache will also get removed. Use the steps to clear the discussed app cache:
1. Launch the Settings app on your smartphone.
2. After that, scroll down and tap on Apps.
3. Next, scroll down and tap on WhatsApp.
4. Under App Info, tap on Storage.
5. Finally, tap on Clear cache.
Method 10: Reinstall WhatsApp
If the above-mentioned methods failed to fix WhatsApp images and media not downloading, you could try reinstalling discussed application on your smartphone. When you uninstall the discussed app, you can eliminate all the malware, cache and data causing the concerned problem. However, once you remove the application from your device, you need to reinstall it. The steps to uninstall and reinstall the concerned app are given below:
1. Hold the WhatsApp icon on your phone till you see the Uninstall option.
2. Now, tap on Uninstall and wait till the process is finished.
3. After that, launch the Play Store app.
4. Next, search WhatsApp and tap on the same result shown.
5. Tap on the Install.
Also Read: Fix Not Receiving WhatsApp Messages Unless I Open the App
Method 11: Reset Network Settings
If all the above-mentioned methods have failed to fix WhatsApp media not downloading Android, you should reset network settings. To reset network settings, use the steps that we have provided below:
1. First, tap on the Settings icon.
2. Next, tap on General Management.
3. After that, swipe down and tap on Reset.
4. Under Reset, tap on the Reset network settings.
5. Next, tap on the Reset settings.
- Photoshop vs Canva: Which is the Best Design Tool?
- What are the Games to Play on IG Live?
- How to Know If Someone Muted You on WhatsApp
- How to Unlink WhatsApp from Facebook Page
We hope you learned how to fix WhatsApp images and media not downloading. Use the comments section below to reach out to us. Let us know what you want to learn next.