The introduction of Skyrim Special Edition ushered in a new era in Skyrim, where players may customize their experience. Most users must utilize mods to control the game and copy files around. One of these difficulties is that Skyrim not launching issue. If you’re having trouble getting Skyrim to launch on Steam or your PC, follow this tutorial to fix Skyrim special edition not launching issue. So, continue reading to fix Skyrim won’t launch in Windows 10.
- How to Fix Skyrim Won’t Launch in Windows 10
- Basic Troubleshooting Steps
- Method 1: Run Game and Steam as Administrator
- Method 2: Verify Integrity of Game Files
- Method 3: Uninstall SKSE
- Method 4: Refresh Steam App
- Method 5: Update Windows
- Method 6: Update Device Drivers
- Method 7: Update DirectX and Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable
- Method 8: Repair System Files
- Method 9: Enable High Performance GPU
- Method 10: Disable Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Services
- Method 11: Disable Antivirus Temporarily (If Applicable)
- Method 12: Contact Bethesda Support
How to Fix Skyrim Won’t Launch in Windows 10
Skyrim is made up of various components that work together to make the game what it is. Below are the possible causes for your Skyrim won’t launch issue.
- While an update is not installed properly or when modifying the modifications, the installation files of any game become corrupt.
- There may be a conflict between game mods. Mods improve users’ gameplay, but Skyrim will not start at all if they clash. To diagnose the conflicting mod, troubleshooting will be required.
- Steam installation may be corrupt or incomplete. Your Steam installation may be corrupt or incomplete in some rare instances.
- Because Skyrim relies on Steam as its major game engine, the game will not load properly if Steam has a problem.
Note: Ensure you’re logged in as an administrator on your device before you begin executing the solutions. You should also have an open and active internet connection free of proxies and VPNs.
In the gaming world, Skyrim is a well-known game. It’s a first-person action-adventure game featuring one of the most expansive open environments ever seen in a game. A terrific narrative and outstanding character development round out the game. The series has so far consisted of five installments. But the software either gets stuck in a lengthy loading screen or does nothing when you open it. Skyrim won’t launch error messages featured in the game since its release, and it continues to irritate users. Continue reading to resolve the issue.
If you have a Skyrim game mod installed, the issue is with the mod itself. If you’re making many changes to the game gameplay or adding new features, it’s best to turn it off and resume it.
- They are unreliable and obstruct the game functionality.
- Mods change the game core files and the way it functions.
If a mod conflicts with the game settings, it’s best to uninstall it and try again.
Basic Troubleshooting Steps
First, try implementing these basic methods.
- Restart your PC as this might be the first and basic troubleshooting method to resolve any issue.
- Close all the background applications using Task Manager. You can follow our guide to end the background process.
- End the game using Task Manager and restart it again.
Method 1: Run Game and Steam as Administrator
As previously stated, Skyrim Special Edition will not debut due to a lack of license. To fix it, try running the game and Steam as administrator. Follow the below steps.
1. Right-click on the Steam shortcut on your Desktop.
2. Select Properties.
3. Navigate to the Compatibility tab and check the box next to Run this program as an administrator.
4. To save the modification, click on Apply and then OK.
5. Press the Windows key. Type Steam and launch it.
6. Then, right-click on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition on the left pane and choose Properties.
7. Go to the LOCAL FILES tab and click on Browse.
8. Now, right-click on the executable game file and select Properties.
9. Go to the Compatibility tab and check the box next to Run this program as an administrator.
10. Finally, click on Apply and then OK.
11. Finally, restart the Steam client and try playing the game.
Also Read: Fix Steam Keeps Crashing
Method 2: Verify Integrity of Game Files
If mods aren’t creating issues or have been disabled and you’re still having issues, your Skyrim game files are most likely damaged. You may check for game files if your game crashes since there’s a potential the game files are corrupt or not installed correctly. Follow the instructions below to fix the Skyrim won’t launch Steam issue easily. Read our guide on How to Verify Integrity of Game Files on Steam to do the same.
Method 3: Uninstall SKSE
The Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE) tool manages large mod scripts. SKSE is still in development despite its large fan base and receives frequent upgrades. There’s a potential it’ll clash with the game. Follow the steps below if you haven’t already tried uninstalling and reinstalling SKSE on your Windows PC.
1. Launch Steam as done earlier.
2. Right-click on Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE) on the left pane.
3. Select the Manage option.
4. Click on Uninstall.
5. Again, click on Uninstall in the pop-up.
6. Navigate to the given location path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
7. Ensure that the SKSE folder and files are deleted.
Method 4: Refresh Steam App
If you’ve tried everything and still can’t get Skyrim to open, it’s most likely because of a Steam installation issue. It’s conceivable that your Steam files are permanently destroyed. Follow the below steps to fix Skyrim special edition not launching issue.
Note: Before you begin, ensure you create a backup of your data and the necessary credentials.
1. To open the Windows Explorer, press the Windows + E keys.
2. Navigate to the following folder location path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim
Note: If the games are installed in a different location, you should go there.
3. Select all the folder entire contents by pressing Ctrl + A keys together. Then, hit the Del key.
4. Finally, restart Steam with administrator access, and it should begin updating itself.
Note: On the other hand, if all the games are giving you trouble, we recommend skipping the Steamapps folder and moving on to the next step.
Also Read: How To Fix No Man’s Sky Crashing On PC
Method 5: Update Windows
Manufacturers will provide numerous new updates for bugs as soon as a game is updated, as you may know. One such issue is Skyrim special edition not launching if your version is incompatible with the game. Read our guide on How to Download and Install Windows 10 Latest Update to do the same.
Method 6: Update Device Drivers
You need the latest drivers such as sound and graphics to enjoy any game. If these drivers are outdated or corrupt, you may face issues such as Skyrim won’t launch. So, you are advised to update device drivers regularly. Read our guide on 4 Ways to Update Graphics Drivers in Windows 10 and implement the same to update graphics drivers.
Similarly, update the sound card drivers to avoid any more issues.
Also Read: Fix Steam Error Code e502 l3 in Windows 10
Method 7: Update DirectX and Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable
An outdated version of DirectX would lead to launching issues in any game. Skyrim is not an exception. Follow the below steps to update DirectX and Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable.
1. Press the Windows key, type dxdiag and hit the Enter key.
2A. Note down the DirectX version. If DirectX is up-to-date, proceed to the next step.
2B. If DirectX is outdated, update Windows, which is the only way to update DirectX.
3. Press Windows + R keys simultaneously to launch the Run dialog box.
4. Type appwiz.cpl and click on OK.
5. Scroll down and look for Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) and (x86) versions.
6. Right-click on any one of them and select Uninstall.
7. Click on Yes in the User Account Control prompt.
8. Similarly, uninstall the other version.
9. Now, visit the official website of Microsoft Office to install the latest versions.
10. Download and click on the executable files for both versions to download the latest versions.
Method 8: Repair System Files
The System File Checker is a Windows PC that checks for file corruption. You may use the scan now command to look for corrupt files on your computer and then remove them. Read our guide on How to Repair System Files on Windows 10 and implement the same.
Also Read: Top 10 Cute Minecraft House Ideas
Method 9: Enable High Performance GPU
Many people say that setting the high-performance GPU solved the dark screen in Skyrim SE. If you have an NVIDIA graphics card, you may set the GPU to high performance by following the steps below.
1. Select NVIDIA Control Panel by right-clicking on any vacant place on your Desktop.
2. In the left pane, select Manage 3D settings.
3. Then, click on Power management mode and then Prefer Maximum Performance from the drop-down box.
4. Click on Apply and check if Skyrim special edition not launching issue persists or not.
Method 10: Disable Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Services
If you use a touch-enabled laptop or an external touch keyboard and handwriting panel, you might face the Skyrim special edition not launching issue. It is better to disable the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Services to resolve the issue. Follow the below steps to fix Skyrim won’t launch issue.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Services, and click on Run as administrator.
2. Now, scroll down and double-click on the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Services.
3. Select the Startup type to Disabled.
4. Click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
Method 11: Disable Antivirus Temporarily (If Applicable)
The security suite in your Windows 10 computer might prevent your game from launching. If applicable, you must disable the antivirus suite when you face the same. In some cases, you must uninstall the antivirus program completely to prevent the error. Read our guide on How to Disable Antivirus Temporarily on Windows 10 and follow the instructions to disable your Antivirus program temporarily on your PC.
Once Skyrim special edition not launching issue has been resolved, it is recommended to re-enable the antivirus.
Method 12: Contact Bethesda Support
If none of the above methods helped you resolve the issue, you must contact Bethesda for help. Explain to them the issue you are facing. They would come up with a solution to help you resolve the Skyrim not launching issue.
- How to Clear Cache on Facebook
- Fix Diablo 3 Error Code 1016 on Windows 10
- Fix Unable to Connect to EA Servers in Windows 11
- Fix Fallout 4 Script Extender Not Working on Windows 10
We hope you found this information useful and that you were able to resolve how to fix Skyrim won’t launch in Windows 10. Please let us know which technique was the most beneficial for you. Please use the form below if you have any queries or comments. Also, let us know what you want to learn next.