You can authorize and activate commands and directions in your PC by a set of Active Directory Domain Services. Whenever you try to access any program or application that requires administrative privileges, you will be asked for the password. This activity is maintained and managed by Active Directories. Also, they help your PC to connect to external devices like printers and routers. This modern technology has enabled users to collect their documents from their comfort zone through wireless printers and similar devices. Apart from all the benefits of this modern-techno world, you may face Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable error message. This happens when your PC cannot find the printer and connect to it. If you face so, read this guide to fix Active Directory Domain Services Windows 10 issue.
- How to Fix The Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable
- Basic Troubleshooting Tips
- Method 1: Restart Print Spooler
- Method 2: Run the Windows Printer Troubleshooter
- Method 3: Repair System Files
- Method 4: Enable File & Printer Sharing
- Method 5: Run Antivirus Scan
- Method 6: Update Windows
- Method 7: Update Drivers
- Method 8: Reinstall Printer Drivers
- Method 9: Add Printer Manually
- Method 10: Recognize Printer using Other Applications
- Method 11: Change Permissions via Registry Editor
- Method 12: Install Network Protocols
- Method 13: Modify Trust Center Settings (Application Specific)
In this section, we have compiled a list of methods to resolve this error in your PC. The methods are arranged from basic to advanced levels to help you achieve the fix effectively and quickly.
Basic Troubleshooting Tips
Before trying the advanced troubleshooting methods, try these two basic tips to resolve this issue:
- Restart your PC.
- Ensure that the cables are correctly connected.
Method 1: Restart Print Spooler
Print Spooler is a software that helps Windows users to manage print jobs. Restarting the Print Spooler will resolve all the temporary glitches associated with the software. You can restart the Print Spooler from Services as discussed below:
Option I: Restart Directly
1. Launch the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys simultaneously.
2. Type services.msc as follows and click OK.
3. Now, in the Services window, scroll down and search for Print Spooler, and right-click on it.
4. Select the Restart option as depicted.
5. Wait until your screen gets refreshed after restarting the service.
Option II: Stop the Service and Start Again
1. Launch Run dialog box as done earlier.
2. Type services.msc as follows and click OK.
3. Now, in the Services window, scroll down and search for Print Spooler, and right-click on it.
4. Select the Stop option as depicted.
5. Now, press Windows + E keys together to open File Explorer.
6. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
Note: You need admin rights to access this folder.
7. Select all the files and delete them.
8. Again, navigate to the Services window and right-click on Print Spooler as you did earlier.
9. Now, select the Start option as shown.
10. Finally, restart your PC and check if you have fixed the Active Directory Domain Services Windows 10 issue.
Method 2: Run the Windows Printer Troubleshooter
Running the Windows Printer Troubleshooter is the simplest way to resolve the Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable error message in your PC. All the corrupt and damaged files in your computer will be eliminated when you proceed with this process. Here are a few simple steps to run the Windows Printer Troubleshooter.
1. Hit the Windows key. Type Troubleshoot settings in the search bar and open it.
2. Now, click on Additional troubleshooters as depicted below.
3. Select Printer, which is displayed under the Get up and running section as shown.
4. Click Run the troubleshooter.
5. If any issue is found in your system, click on Apply this fix and follow the instructions given in the successive prompts.
6. Finally, restart your PC.
Also Read: Fix Device Not Migrated Error on Windows 10
Method 3: Repair System Files
Windows 10 users can automatically scan and repair their system files by running System File Checker. In addition, it is a built-in tool that lets the user delete files and fix the Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable error message. Then, follow the below-mentioned steps to implement the same.
1. Type Command Prompt in the Windows search bar and click Run as administrator.
2. Click Yes in the User Account Control prompt.
3. Now, type the chkdsk C: /f /r /x command and hit Enter key.
Note: If you are prompted with a message, Chkdsk cannot run…the volume is… in use process, press Y key and reboot your system.
4. Again, type the sfc /scannow command and hit Enter key to SFC scan.
Note: The System File Checker will scan all the programs and repair them automatically in the background. You can continue your activities until the scan is complete.
5. After completing the scan, it will show either of the messages:
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
6. Restart your PC and open Command Prompt as done earlier.
7. Type the following commands one by one and hit Enter key.
DISM.exe /Online /cleanup-image /scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /cleanup-image /restorehealth DISM /Online /cleanup-Image /startcomponentcleanup
Note: You have to be connected to a network to run DISM properly.
8. Finally, wait for the process to run successfully and close the window.
Method 4: Enable File & Printer Sharing
The File and Printer Sharing feature is not enabled by default for all computers. Few public networks restrict these sharing accesses. You can enable file and printer sharing options if that concerns you.
Note: You may get several sharing options depending upon the version of Windows you use. Follow the steps according to the type of File & Printer Sharing options you have.
1. Hit the Windows key. Type Control Panel and open it as shown below.
2. Set View by as Category. Click on Network and Internet as depicted.
3. Here, click on Network and Sharing Center as depicted.
4. Here, click on Change advanced sharing settings as follows.
5. Select the option Turn on file and printer sharing under File and Printer sharing and click Save changes.
Note: You need admin rights to save this change.
6. In the Advanced sharing settings window, expand All Networks.
7. Select Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders option.
8. Finally, click on Save changes and restart your PC.
Also Read: How to Fix Error 0x80300024
Method 5: Run Antivirus Scan
To avoid this error message, run an antivirus scan in your system and check if the problem is solved. Then, follow the below-mentioned steps to do so.
1. Press Windows + I keys together to open System Settings.
2. Here, click on Update & Security, as shown.
3. Click on Windows Security in the left pane.
4. Next, select the Virus & threat protection option under Protection areas.
5. Click on Scan Options, as shown.
6. You can choose Quick scan, Full scan, Custom scan, or Microsoft Defender Offline scan according to your need and click on Scan Now as highlighted.
7A. If there are any threats, click on Start Actions under Current threats.
7B. If your computer does not have any threats, the No current threats prompt will pop up as highlighted below.
Method 6: Update Windows
If you did not obtain any fix by the above methods, then there are few chances that you might have bugs in your system. If you use an outdated Windows version, the files in the system will not be compatible with the PC files leading to the Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable error message. Follow the below-mentioned steps to update your Windows OS.
1. Press the Windows + I keys together to open Settings in your system.
2. Now, select Update & Security.
3. Now, select Check for Updates from the right panel.
4A. If a new update is available, click Install now to download and install the latest version.
4B. If your system is already up-to-date, then it will show You’re up to date message.
Also Read: How to Fix Error Code 0x80004005
Method 7: Update Drivers
If you haven’t fixed the Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable error, try to add the printer again. A few printers are automatically added to your PC when installing the corresponding drivers. Now, you can try updating all your drivers as instructed below.
1. Type Device Manager in the Windows 10 search menu and open it.
2. Double-click Print queues to expand it.
3. Now, right-click on the driver and click Update driver.
4. Now, click on Search automatically for drivers.
5A. If the driver is outdated, the drivers will be updated to the latest version.
5B. If they are already in an updated stage, the screen displays the following message, The best drivers for your device are already installed. Click Close.
Method 8: Reinstall Printer Drivers
If updating drivers does not give you a fix, you can uninstall the drivers and install them again. Then, follow the below-mentioned steps to implement the same.
1. Launch the Device Manager using the steps mentioned above and expand Print queues by double-clicking on it.
2. Now, right-click on the driver and select Uninstall device.
3. Confirm the prompt by clicking Uninstall.
4. Visit the manufacturer’s website e.g. Intel.
5. Find & Download the drivers corresponding to the Windows version on your PC.
6. Once downloaded, double-click on the downloaded file and follow the given instructions to install it.
Method 9: Add Printer Manually
If you face this error after updating the driver, you can try reinstalling any particular printer where you face the Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable error.
Note: Microsoft Print to PDF is taken as an example below.
1. Launch Control Panel by searching it as shown.
2. Set the View by option to Large icons and select Devices and Printers as shown.
3. Then, right-click on the printer and select Remove device option as depicted below.
4. Click Yes in the User Account Control prompt to Remove Device.
5. Later, click on Add a printer shown highlighted.
6. Select The printer that I want isn’t listed option as shown highlighted below.
7. Then, click on Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings as shown and click on Next.
8. In the next window, click on PORTPROMPT: (Local Port) in the drop-down menu of Use an existing port and click on Next.
9. Now, choose the Manufacturer and Printers and click on Next as highlighted.
10. Rename the printer if needed and click on Next.
11. Finally, wait for Windows to install the Printer.
Method 10: Recognize Printer using Other Applications
Another simplest method to fix this Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable issue is recognizing the printer using other applications.
Note: Here, Text Document is chosen as an example.
1. Right-click on an empty area of the Desktop.
2. Select New and then Text Document as depicted below.
3. Open the document. Select File in the menu bar.
4. Select Print.
5. Click Find Printer in the Print window.
Also Read: How To Clear Print Queue In Windows 10?
Method 11: Change Permissions via Registry Editor
If your PC does not have essential keys like PrinterPorts, you will probably face this Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable error message. You could correct them by tweaking the permission in the Registry editor as instructed below:
1. Press and hold Windows + R keys together to open Run dialog box.
2. Type regedit and hit Enter key to open Registry Editor.
3. Click Yes in the User Account Control prompt.
4. Now, navigate to the following path.
5. Right-click on Devices in the left pane and select the Permissions option.
6. Now, choose your account and select the box next to Full Control under Allow section.
Note: Make sure you have no items checked under Deny section.
7. Click Apply and then OK.
8. Repeat the same steps for PrinterPorts and Windows keys.
9. Finally, update or reinstall the printers to implement the changes. Check if you have fixed the errors concerning Active Directory Domain Services Windows 10.
Method 12: Install Network Protocols
If your PC does not have all the necessary protocols for printing the document, you will face the Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable error message. You can manually install protocols on your PC by following the below-mentioned steps.
1. Hit Windows + I keys together to open Settings.
2. Select the Network & Internet option as shown.
3. Select Wi-Fi in the left pane.
4. Scroll down and click on Change adapter options as illustrated below.
5. Right-click on the network and select the Properties option as shown.
6. Here, click on the Install… option shown highlighted.
7. Here, select the Protocol option and click on Add…
8. Select all the protocols listed in the Network Protocol window and click OK.
9. Follow the on-screen instructions to install. Finally, restart your PC.
Method 13: Modify Trust Center Settings (Application Specific)
If you face this Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable error message in Windows 10 for any particular Office applications like Word, Excel, etc., you could alter a few settings as instructed below:
1. In your Office application, navigate to File from the menu bar followed by Options.
2. Then, click on Trust Center in the left pane.
3. Select the Trust Center Settings… button from the right pane.
4. Next, click on the Trusted Locations option in the left pane.
5. Check the box titled Allow Trusted Locations on my network (not recommended) and click OK.
6. Restart the app and check if you can print the document now.
- Fix win32kfull.sys BSOD in Windows 10
- How to Perform Windows Defender Definition Update
- How to Install Software Without Admin Rights
- Fix Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper Has Stopped Working
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could fix the Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable error in Windows 10. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via comments section below. Let us know which topic you want us to explore next.