Microsoft Defender is an anti-malware program that comes pre-installed on recent Windows systems. Also known as Windows Security or Windows Defender Antivirus, it receives updates regularly. It utilizes security intelligence definitions to identify viruses and other threats. Sometimes Windows Defender definition is not updated properly which can cause security issues. In this article, we bring to you a helpful guide that will teach you how to start Windows Defender definition update in Windows and how to perform windows defender definition download.
How to Perform Windows Defender Definition Update
Windows Defender Definition is an authorized program that should be kept updated as it provides the following features
- Reports of System Performance
- Virus and Threat Detection in real-time
- Firewall and Network protection
- Protection against phishing sites
- File blocking
We will begin with a simple windows update as it can result in windows defender definition update and after that we will move to other methods.
Method 1: Perform Automatic Update
Automatic updates are a convenient and quick method to keep Windows Security up to date. By default, this operation gets the most recent version and instals it on the Windows Defender Security software. To Manually Update Windows Defender, follow the steps below:
1. Press the Windows + I keys together to open Settings.
2. Click on Update & Security.
3. Click on Windows Security.
4. Select Virus & Threat Protection.
5. If you have the updated drivers you will see the message You’re up to date and if you don’t it will say Updates Available.
6. The updates will start downloading automatically if they are available.
7. You may need to restart your PC when the upgrades are completed.
It will automatically update Windows defender definitions.
Also Read: Fix Windows Update Install Error 0x8007012a
Method 2: Use Command Prompt
You can perform Windows Defender definition update by using Command Prompt and a few lines of code. Follow the steps below.
1. Press the Windows key, type Command Prompt and click on Run as Administrator.
2. Type the following command and hit Enter key. It is used to clear cache data.
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\ MpCmdRun.exe" -removedefinitions –dynamicsignatures
3. After that, type the following command and hit Enter key. This is the update command which will update defender definitions.
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\ MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate
Wait for the commands to finish processing and after that windows defender definition update would be done.
Method 3: Use Windows PowerShell
Similar to Command Prompt, you can run some codes in PowerShell to make windows defender definition update. Follow the steps below to do the same.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Windows PowerShell, and click on Run as Administrator.
2. Type the following command and press Enter key.
"%ProgramFiles%Windows DefenderMpCmdRun.exe" -removedefinitions -dynamicsignatures
Note: Sometimes this command gives an error but it won’t stop the updates. Continue with next command in any case.
3. After that, type the given command and press Enter key.
Note: Wait for >> to appear on the screen after entering the first command. Only after that enter this command.
"%ProgramFiles%Windows DefenderMpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate.\
This method may not work always as Windows 10 keeps changing the update commands but you can give it try to update windows defender definition.
Method 4: Download Updates Manually
You can manually download Windows Defender definition update from Microsoft Security Intelligence download page by following the steps below.
1. Go to Microsoft Security Intelligence updates webpage.
2. Under Manually download the update section, navigate to Microsoft Defender Antivirus for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1.
3. Now select 32-bit or 64-bit whichever option is compatible with your system.
4. A file named mpam-fe.exe will be downloaded.
5. Right-click on it and Run as Administrator.
6. Wait for a few seconds and the updates will be done.
Note: No screen or pop-up window will open after running mpam-fe.exe but rest assured the updates will begin processing.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Is Windows Defender up to the task?
Ans: Windows Defender provides adequate cybersecurity protections, but it falls well short of the quality of the most expensive antivirus software. Microsoft Windows Defender can suffice if you only want basic cybersecurity protection.
Q2. What is the best cyber defense system?
Ans: One of the most effective cyber defenses for your device and network is the real-time protection. It examines any possible threats to a database of known malware, such as viruses and Trojans, and prevents them from inflicting harm before they have a chance to do so.
Q3. Is Microsoft Windows Defender available at no cost?
Ans: Microsoft Defender Antivirus is a free malware prevention program included with Windows 10. Microsoft Defender Antivirus, formerly known as Windows Defender, protects individual Windows PCs with effective but simple real-time anti-malware protection.
- Fix Netflix Error Code UI3012
- Fix Bluetooth Driver Error in Windows 10
- How to Reset Windows Update Components on Windows 10
- How to Update Network Adapter Drivers on Windows 10
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to make Windows Defender definition update, we also covered how to do windows defender definition download. Let us know which method worked for you the best. If you have any queries or suggestions then feel free to drop them in the comments section.