You might have noticed the Windows update processes not working properly. At that time, users may have to think about the reset update components option, especially when the Windows Update agent-related services stop working on their system. Also, when some of the update components get corrupt or Windows has issues while updating the cache, reset windows update components script can also come into play. Read this step-by-step guide to reset the Windows update components on your Windows 10 desktop & laptop.
- How to Reset Windows Update Components on Windows 10
- Step I: Disable Windows Update Service
- Step II: Stop Update Components
- Step III: Rename Software Distribution & Catroot Folder
- Step IV: Start Update Components
- Step V: Re-enable Windows Update Service
- Step VI: Delete Software Distribution & Catroot Folder (Optional)
How to Reset Windows Update Components on Windows 10
The reset update components process includes:
- Restarting of BITS, MSI Installer, Cryptographic, and the Windows Update Services.
- Renaming of the Software Distribution and Catroot2 folders.
Note: It is recommended to boot your Windows 10 PC into Safe Mode for better results.
Step I: Disable Windows Update Service
1. Launch the Run dialog box by hitting Windows + R keys together.
2. Type services.msc and click OK to launch Services window.
3. Scroll down the screen and right-click on Windows Update.
Note: If the current status is Stopped, skip to Step II.
4. Here, click on Stop if the current status displays Running.
5. You will receive a prompt, Windows is attempting to stop the following service on Local Computer… Wait for the prompt to be completed. It will take around 3 to 5 seconds.
Also Read: How to Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Step II: Stop Update Components
Implement these steps to stop the update components in this reset update components process:
1. Hit the Windows key, type Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.
2. Now, type the following commands one by one and hit Enter after each command.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
Step III: Rename Software Distribution & Catroot Folder
1. To continue the reset windows update components script, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
Step IV: Start Update Components
After stopping the updating components and renaming software distribution and catroot folder in the reset update components process,
1. Execute each of the following commands in Administrator: Command Prompt to start updating components:
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
Step V: Re-enable Windows Update Service
Follow the below steps to re-enable the Windows update service:
1. Go back to the Services window and right-click on Windows Update.
2. Select the Start option as depicted in the below picture.
3. You will receive a prompt, Windows is attempting to start the following service on Local Computer… Wait for 3 to 5 seconds and close the Services window.
Also Read: Fix Windows 10 Update Pending Install
Step VI: Delete Software Distribution & Catroot Folder (Optional)
Now to reset update components, you can also choose to delete the software distribution and catroot folders as follows:
1. Open the File Explorer by clicking Windows + E keys together.
2. Now, navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore.
3. Select all the files and folders by pressing Ctrl+ A keys together and right-click on the empty space. Select Delete to remove all the files and folders from this location.
- How to Disable Antivirus Temporarily on Windows 10
- How to Reset Windows 10 Without Losing Data
- Fix Windows Update Download 0x800f0984 2H1 Error
- Fix Windows Update 0x8007000d Error
After following these steps, you learned how to reset update components on Windows 10. You can follow similar steps on Windows 7 as well. Leave any questions or comments in the space below.