Keeping your Windows updated is necessary in order to facilitate glitch-free operations. With the new Windows 11 launch, it has become more important than ever to keep your system up-to-date. In addition, new updates also add to the overall stability and security of the operating system by making sure that all the applications and devices are working perfectly. Unfortunately, updates can also mean new bugs and associated problems for the user. So, what to do when you face Windows 10 update pending download issue? Our helpful guide will teach you how to fix Windows 10 update pending install stuck issue.
Table of Contents
- How to Fix Windows 10 Update Pending Install Stuck Issue
- Method 1: Restart PC & Try Again
- Method 2: Re-Download Update
- Method 3: Enable Windows Update Service
- Method 4: Enable Background Intelligent Transfer Service
- Method 5: Enable Automatic Cryptographic Service
- Method 6: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Method 7: Reset Windows Updates
- Method 8: Scan & Fix Corrupt System Files
- Method 9: Allow Downloads Over Metered Connections
- Method 10: Change Active Hours
- Method 11: Make Space For New Updates
How to Fix Windows 10 Update Pending Install Stuck Issue
This issue is caused by multiple factors, such as:
- Software conflicts
- Bugs in the system
- User determined Active Hours
- Previous pending updates
- Disabled Services
- Insufficient storage space
Different status indicates different phases and/or issues with the update. Refer to the table given below to understand the same.
|Pending Download||Notifies the availability of a non-critical update. Awaiting user permission|
|Downloading||Notifies the start of downloading of the update from the Microsoft server.|
|Pending Install||Marks the end of the downloading process. Awaiting user permission.|
|Awaiting Install||Awaiting to meet the required conditions to start installing the update.|
|Initializing||Implies start of preparing for the installation of the update.|
|Installing||Indicates the start of update installation process.|
Follow the methods listed below to fix Windows 10 update pending download issue on your computer. Only then, will you be able to check if you are eligible to download the recent Windows 11 or not.
Method 1: Restart PC & Try Again
Restarting your computer can help you in resolving this issue as some updates wait for other updates in the queue to be installed first. This means that the system may require a restart before the next update can be deployed.
1. Click on Power icon and select Restart.
2. After rebooting, press Windows + I keys together to open Settings.
3. Click on Update & Security, as shown.
4. In the Windows Update section, click on Check for updates button.
5. Windows will search, download & install updates if any are available.
Method 2: Re-Download Update
This issue can also present itself if there were problems during the download process like missing files or interrupted connection. You need to delete the previously downloaded update and download it once again, as explained here.
1. Open File Explorer by pressing Windows + E keys simultaneously.
2. Type the following location path in the address bar and hit Enter.
3. Press Ctrl + A keys to select all files and folders. Then, press Shift + Delete keys to delete these permanently.
4. Then, restart your PC and download the updates again as per the steps detailed in Method 1.
Also Read: Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070005
Method 3: Enable Windows Update Service
You can configure the way updates are installed so that the computer does not have to wait for your input in order to initiate or complete the update process. This would, in turn, fix Windows update pending install issue.
1. Launch Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys simultaneously.
2. Type services.msc and hit Enter.
3. In the right pane, scroll through the list of services and double-click on Windows Update.
4. In the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type drop-down list.
5. Click on Apply > OK and restart your Windows 10 system.
Method 4: Enable Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Similarly, keeping BITS enabled will help with Windows update pending download or install issue.
1. Launch Services window through Run dialog box, as instructed in Method 3.
2. In the right pane, right-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service and select Properties, as shown.
3. Under General tab, select Automatic from the drop-down list titled Startup type.
4. Click on Apply > OK to save these changes.
Also Read: How to Fix Dev Error 6068
Method 5: Enable Automatic Cryptographic Service
Like BITS and Windows update service, this too is essential for the glitch-free update process and to avoid Windows update pending install stuck issue.
1. Open the Services window and scroll down to Cryptographic Services, as shown.
2. Double-click on it to open Cryptographic Services Properties.
3. Select Automatic option for the Startup type, as illustrated below.
4. Click on Apply > OK and reboot your PC.
Method 6: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows comes equipped with many troubleshooters specific to different scenarios. You can run a Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix Windows 10 update pending install issue.
1. Press Windows + I keys together to open Settings and click on Update and Security, as depicted.
2. Click on Troubleshoot in the left pane. In the right pane, scroll down to Windows Update then, select Run the troubleshooter option.
3. Windows will detect and resolve problems that prevent you from updating Windows.
Also Read: How to Fix Error 0x80300024
Method 7: Reset Windows Updates
Alternately, you can run some commands in Command Prompt to reset Windows Update service components and fix Windows 10 update pending download problem. These commands will also help rename Software Distribution and Catroot 2 folder.
1. Click on Start icon, type cmd to search for Command Prompt. Then, select Run as Administrator, as shown.
2. Type the following commands individually and press Enter after each:
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
3. Next, restart services by executing these commands:
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
Method 8: Scan & Fix Corrupt System Files
Updates can get stuck due to corrupt system files. Running DISM and SFC commands could help repair and rebuild such files thereby, resolving Windows update pending install stuck issue. Here’s how to run these scans:
1. Open Command Prompt with administrative privileges as instructed in Method 7.
2. Type sfc /scannow as depicted below, and hit Enter.
3. System File Checker will begin its process. Wait for Verification 100 % completed statement to appear.
4. Now, type the following DISM commands to scan and repair corrupt files. Execute these by pressing Enter key.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
5. Now, delete all contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder as explained in Method 2.
6. Repeat the same for files & folders in C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 location folder.
7. Lastly, restart your Windows 10 PC and download updates as instructed in Method 1.
Also Read: Windows Updates Stuck? Here are a few things you could try!
Method 9: Allow Downloads Over Metered Connections
It is possible that the said download is stuck or pending because of metered connection setting. Here is how to turn it off to fix Windows 10 update pending install issue:
1. Press Windows + I keys to open the Settings window.
2. Click on Network & Internet, as shown.
3. Then, select Wi-Fi in the left pane and click on the Network to which you are currently connected.
4. Toggle off the option named Set as metered connection, as depicted below.
Method 10: Change Active Hours
The updates might have been scheduled to take place outside of Active hours to achieve zero interruptions in your routine work. Here’s how to modify Active or Working hours setting to fix Windows update install stuck problem:
1. Navigate to Settings > Update & Security, as shown in Method 1.
2. On the Windows Update screen, click on Change active hours.
3. Turn the toggle off for Automatically adjust active hours for this device based on activity option.
4. Click on Change next to Current active hours, as highlighted below.
5. Adjust the Start time & End time according to your convenience and click on Save.
Also Read: How to Fix Hulu Token Error 5
Method 11: Make Space For New Updates
Obviously, for new updates to take place, there should be enough space on your primary drive viz C disk. Clearing out space should fix Windows 10 update pending install issue.
By Emptying Recycle Bin
1. Right-click on Recycle Bin on the Desktop.
2. Click on Empty Recycle Bin, as depicted.
3. Click on Yes to confirm the said deletion.
By Deleting Temporary Files
1. Press Windows + I keys together to open the Settings window.
2. Click on System, as shown.
3. Click on Temporary files and then, allow Windows to scan which files can be deleted and how much space can be freed.
4. Click on Remove files.
- How to Mute Microphone in Windows 10
- Fix Device Not Migrated Error on Windows 10
- How to Fix Git Merge Error
- Fix Error TVAPP-00100 on Xfinity Stream
We hope you found this article helpful to fix Windows 10 update pending download or install issue. Tell us your experience of troubleshooting this issue in the comment section below. Also, let us know what topic you want us to write about next.