It is advised to regularly update your Windows PC to safeguard it from cyber-attacks. But sometimes when you try to update your Windows 10 computer, you get prompted with Windows update 0x8007000d error. 0x8007000d Windows update error stops the update process and often occurs due to damaged files, corrupt programs etc. Few users encounter that upgrading to Windows 11 cause setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file error. Nevertheless, you are lucky to have found this article. This guide will help you understand how to fix 0x8007000d Windows 10 errors. Keep reading the article for solutions.
- How to Fix Windows Update 0x8007000d Error
- Method 1: Clean Disk Space
- Method 2: Run Malware Scan
- Method 3: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Method 4: Repair Corrupt Files
- Method 5: Use Command Prompt
- Method 6: Enable Windows Update Service
- Method 7: Restart Windows Update Service
- Method 8: Delete Software Distribution Files in Safe Mode
- Method 9: Reset Update Components
- Method 10: Disable Antivirus (Temporarily)
- Method 11: Reset PC
- Method 12: Use Windows 10 Update Assistant
- Method 13: Download the Updates Manually
How to Fix Windows Update 0x8007000d Error
You may encounter several error codes while updating your PC. Apart from Windows 7, it happens on Windows 10 PC too. Many users have reported that they cannot install KB3124200, KB4586853, KB4592438 versions of Windows 10 specifically. Here are some reasons that cause 0x8007000d Windows update error. Analyze the reason behind your problem so you can quickly resolve it by picking the right method.
- Missing or damaged files in PC.
- Corrupt programs.
- Virus or malware attack in PC.
- Incomplete or Outdated Windows Update Components in PC.
- Other background programs interfere with the updating process.
- Antivirus program interference and unstable internet connection as well.
In this section, we have compiled a list of effective troubleshooting methods that will help you fix 0x8007000d or setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file error. Follow the methods in the same order to attain perfect results.
Method 1: Clean Disk Space
Windows PC might not install updates if your computer does not have enough space. Removing large junk files can free up your PC memory and fix general issues. It can be done by cleaning disk space which deletes all temporary files, installation logs, cache, etc. It might fix setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation prompt Error. You can begin clearing up your disk by following the below-mentioned steps.
1. Press and hold Windows + I keys together to open Windows Settings.
2. Now, click on System as shown below.
3. In the left pane, click on Storage tab and in the right pane, select the Configure Storage Sense or run it now link as highlighted.
4. In the next window, scroll down to Free up space now section and select Clean now option as shown.
Now with all unnecessary files removed, try updating the Windows and check if the issue is fixed.
Note: This method can be removed from this article. I didn’t find it anywhere pertaining to the issue.
Method 2: Run Malware Scan
Many times errors like setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file are caused by Viruses and Malware. Check that your PC is periodically scanned to avoid getting attacked by them. Here are the steps to run an antivirus scan on your PC.
1. Press the Windows + I keys together to open the Settings.
2. Click on Update & Security, as shown.
3. Click on Windows Security in the left pane.
4. Next, select the Virus & threat protection option under Protection areas.
5. Click on Scan Options, as shown.
6. Choose Quick Scan or Full Scan option as per your preference and click on Scan Now.
7A. After the scan is completed. All the threats will be enlisted. Click on Start Actions under Current threats to remove or repair threats.
7B. If you do not have any threats on your system, No current threats will be shown as highlighted below.
Windows Defender Firewall will fix all the virus and malware related issues.
Also Read: Fix Windows Update Error 0x800704c7
Method 3: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
You can also run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It is a built-in feature made to fix all update errors. It will repair Windows Update-related temporary files and services and reset Windows Update components. Here are the instructions to run Windows Update troubleshooter.
1. Press Windows + I keys simultaneously to launch Settings.
2. Click on the Update & Security tile, as shown.
3. Go to Troubleshoot menu in the left pane.
4. Select Windows Update troubleshooter and click on Run the troubleshooter button shown highlighted below.
5. Wait for the troubleshooter to detect and fix the problem. Once the process is complete, restart your PC.
Note: You can also run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter listed under Find and fix other problems. This will find and fix problems related with compatibility of older programs on the version of Windows.
Method 4: Repair Corrupt Files
If Windows update 0x8007000d is showing up then it might be because of corrupt files on your computer. You can use features like SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) to scan and remove the harmful corrupt files. Here is how you can use them:
1. Hit the Windows key, type Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.
2. Click on Yes in the User Account Control prompt.
3. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter key to run System File Checker scan.
Note: A system scan will be initiated and it will take a couple of minutes to finish. Meanwhile, you can continue performing other activities but be mindful of not accidentally closing the window.
After completing the scan, it will show either of these messages:
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
4. Once the scan is finished, restart your PC.
5. Again, launch Command Prompt as administrator and execute the given commands one after the other:
dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /scanhealth dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /restorehealth dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
Note: You must have a working internet connection to execute DISM commands properly.
Also Read: How to Fix Windows Update Error 80072ee2
Method 5: Use Command Prompt
You can also fix 0x8007000d Windows error by using Command Prompt. It is an effective troubleshooting method, you can resolve the error with the given codes.
1. Launch Command Prompt as administrator.
2. Type the command the following commands one by one and hit enter.
SC config wuauserv start= auto SC config bits start= auto SC config cryptsvc start= auto SC config trustedinstaller start= auto
3. Once the commands are executed, restart your PC
Method 6: Enable Windows Update Service
To fix 0x8007000d error, check if Windows Update services are running. They manage the distribution of updates released by Microsoft. Here is how to do it.
Option I: Through Services
Follow these steps to start Windows update services through Services program.
1. Hit the Windows key and type Services and click on Run as administrator.
2. Scroll down and select the Windows Update service.
3. Right-click on Properties as depicted in the below picture.
Note: You can also double-click on Windows Update Services to open the Properties window.
4. Set the Startup type to Automatic, as shown below.
5. Click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
Also Read: How to Fix Access is Denied Windows 10
Option II: Through Local Group Policy Editor
When the Windows update components are disabled in your PC, you will face problems like setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file prompt accompanied by Windows update 0x8007000d error. Firstly check if you have enabled Windows Update components, if not you can enable it by following the below-mentioned steps.
1. Hit the Windows key and type gpedit.msc as shown. Then, hit Enter.
2. Now, double-click on Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates as depicted.
3. Double-click on System and in the right pane, scroll down and double-click on Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair as depicted.
4. In the next pop-up window, Select Enabled as depicted.
5. Finally, click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
Method 7: Restart Windows Update Service
Sometimes, you could fix setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file error by manually restarting the Windows Update Service. Follow the below instructions to implement the same.
1. Launch the Run dialog box by hitting Windows + R keys together.
2. Type services.msc and click OK to launch Services window.
3. Scroll down the screen and right-click on Windows Update.
Note: If the current status is not Running, you can skip the below step.
4. Here, click on Stop if the current status displays Running.
5. You will receive a prompt, Windows is attempting to stop the following service on Local Computer… Wait for the prompt to be completed. It will take around 3 to 5 seconds.
6. Open the File Explorer by clicking Windows + E keys together. Now, navigate to the following path.
7. Select all the files and folders by pressing Control+ A keys together and right-click on the empty space.
8. Select Delete option to remove all the files and folders from the DataStore location.
9. Now, navigate to the path, C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download, and Delete all the files in the Downloads location as mentioned in the previous step.
10. Go back to the Services window and right-click on Windows Update.
11. Select the Start option as depicted in the below picture.
12. You will receive a prompt, Windows is attempting to start the following service on Local Computer… Wait for 3 to 5 seconds and close the Services window.
Method 8: Delete Software Distribution Files in Safe Mode
If the problem is not solved by manually deleting the components of the Software Distribution Folder or if you have faced any errors while removing the files, follow the below-mentioned steps. These instructions will boot your PC in recovery mode so you can delete it without any problems.
1. Hit the Windows key and type Recovery options as shown. Open the best results.
2. In Settings window, click Restart now option under Advanced startup as shown.
3. Click on Troubleshoot in the Choose an option window.
4. Click on Advanced options as shown.
5. Click on Startup Settings as highlighted.
6. In the Startup Settings window, click on Restart.
7. When your PC restarts, you will see the below screen. Here, hit the F5 key on your keyboard to Enable Safe Mode with Networking option.
8. Press and hold Windows + E keys together to open File Explorer. Navigate to the following location.
9. Select all the files in the Software Distribution folder and Delete them.
10. Then, restart your PC and try updating the Windows Update.
Method 9: Reset Update Components
To resolve all update-related issues, there is another effective troubleshooting method, resetting Windows Update components. It repairs BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer, Windows Update services, and updates folders like SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2. Here are some instructions to reset Windows Update components.
1. Follow steps 1 from 4A.
2. Type the command the following commands one by one and hit enter.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
Wait for the commands to be executed and check if error 0x8007000d Windows 10 is fixed.
Method 10: Disable Antivirus (Temporarily)
Sometimes, an over-aggressive antivirus suite will interfere with the update process causing 0x8007000d Windows 10 update error 0xc1900204 or setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation error. Hence, if you are using a third-party antivirus software, then disable it temporarily and check if you have fixed the issue. It is important that you enable it again after you have resolved your issue for protection against viruses.
Note: Different Antivirus programs will have different settings for this method. As an example we are using Avast Free Antivirus.
1. Navigate to the Antivirus icon in the Taskbar and right-click on it.
2. Select Avast shields control option and you can temporarily disable Avast using the below options:
- Disable for 10 minutes
- Disable for 1 hour
- Disable until computer is restarted
- Disable permanently
3. Choose the option according to your convenience and confirm the prompt displayed on the screen.
4. In the main window you will see the note All your shields are turned off denoting that you have disabled the antivirus. To activate it again, click on TURN ON.
Method 11: Reset PC
If none of the above methods work for you, then this is the last resort. You can reset your PC to finally fix this error. Here is how to do it.
1. Navigate to Windows Settings and select Update & Security.
2. Select the Recovery option from the left pane and click on Get started in the right pane.
3. Now, choose an option from Reset this PC window.
- Keep my files option will remove apps and settings but will keep your personal files.
- Remove everything option will remove all your personal files, apps, and settings.
4. Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset process.
If you are unable to fix Windows update 0x8007000d error, here are a few alternatives to update your Windows 10 PC.
Also Read: How to Delete Win Setup Files in Windows 10
Method 12: Use Windows 10 Update Assistant
You can try an alternative way of updating Windows 10 PC if you have any troubles with previous versions. Firstly, uninstall any possible recent updates and use Windows 10 Update Assistant as instructed below to fix 0x8007000d Windows 10 error.
1. Press and hold Windows + R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
2. Now, type appwiz.cpl as shown and hit Enter.
3. Click on View installed updates in the left pane as shown here.
4. Now, select the most recent problematic update and click on Uninstall option as shown below.
5. Confirm the prompt, if any. Now, press and hold Windows + E keys together to open File Explorer. Navigate to the following path.
6. Delete all the files and folders in the path. Select all the files and click on the Delete icon as shown.
7. Visit the Windows 10 Update download page. Click on the Update now option as shown.
8. The update may slow down in between 60-85 % of the process. Wait until the update process is successful and restart your PC.
9. Press the Windows + I keys together to open Settings in your system.
10. Select Update & Security.
11. Select Check for Updates from the right panel. Make sure you are prompted with You’re up to date message as depicted.
Note: If you use Mixed Reality software on your PC, please uninstall it. This software interferes with the Windows Update process and causes Windows update 0x8007000d error.
Method 13: Download the Updates Manually
If you have confirmed that there are no corrupt files, malicious programs in your PC and all essential services are running and still the error is not resolved then you can manually download the updates as instructed below. Before doing this, you have to identify the KB number of your PC that is popping up with 0x8007000d Windows 10 error.
1. Press the Windows + I keys together to open Settings in your system.
2. Now, select Update & Security.
3. Click on the View update history option as highlighted below.
4. In the list, note down the KB number of the update that has failed to install due to the error message.
5. Type the KB number in the Microsoft Update Catalog search bar.
6. Find the update that is compatible with your system and click on ADD to download and install the update manually.
- How to Force Quit a Program on Windows 11
- Fix 0xC00D36D5 No Cameras are Attached in Windows 10
- Fix Windows Could Not Search for New Updates
- Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x80070103
We hope that this guide was helpful and you have fixed Windows 10 update 0x8007000d error. Let us know which method worked the best for you. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.