How to Update Realtek HD Audio Drivers in Windows 10: If you are looking for a way to update Realtek HD audio drivers then don’t look any further as today in this article we are going to see how to update them easily using as few steps as possible. Realtek HD Audio Drivers are the most commonly used sound drivers in Windows 10. If you will you open Device Manager and expand Sound, video and game controllers then you will find the Realtek High Definition Audio (SST) or Realtek HD device.
You may also need to update Realtek HD audio drivers if you’re facing no sound issue, sound not working, or headphones not working, etc. So without wasting any time let’s see How to Update Realtek HD Audio Drivers in Windows 10 with the help of the below-listed guide.
How to Update Realtek HD Audio Drivers in Windows 10
Note: Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Update Realtek HD Audio Drivers using Device Manager
1. Press Windows Key + R then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter to open Device Manager.
2. Expand “Sound, video and game controllers” then right-click on Realtek High Definition Audio and select Update Driver.
3. On the next screen click on “Search automatically for updated driver software“.
4. Wait for the process to finish finding the latest available update for your sound drivers, if found, make sure to click on Install to complete the process. Once finished, click Close and reboot your PC to save changes.
5. But if your driver is already up-to-date, then you will get a message saying “The best driver software for your device is already installed“.
6. Click on Close, and you don’t need to do anything as the drivers are already up-to-date.
7. Once finished, reboot your PC to save changes.
If you’re still facing the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Issue then you need to manually update the drivers, just follow this guide.
1. Again open Device Manager, then right-click on Realtek High Definition Audio & select Update driver.
2. This time click on ” Browse my computer for driver software.“
3. Next, select “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.“
4. Select the appropriate driver from the list and click Next.
5. Let the driver installation complete and then restart your PC.
Method 2: Download and Install the Realtek Audio Driver from OEM Manufacturers
Chances are Windows is not able to find the latest update using the above method because of improper internet network connection or for any other reason, so just to sure go to the Realtek website.
1. Open your favorite web browser then navigate to this website.
2. You will be directed towards the download page, now under “PC Audio Codecs” select to the latest driver available.
Note: Make sure to download the proper driver according to your system architecture.
3. If you’re unable to find then either you need the driver for AC’97 Audio Codecs Software or High Definition Audio Codecs Software.
Note: For most of the users, you need to download the High Definition Audio Codecs, but if you’re on an old system then only you need to download AC’97 Audio Codecs.
4. Once the file is downloaded, double-click on the setup file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the latest Realtek High Definition Audio drivers.
Method 3: Update the Realtek audio driver automatically
1. Press Windows Key + I and then select Update & Security.
2. Then under Update status click on “Check for updates.“
3. If an update is found for your PC, install the update and reboot your PC.
Method 4: Add a Legacy hardware
1. Press Windows Key + R then type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) and hit enter to open Device Manager.
2. In Device Manager select Sound, video and game controllers and then click on Action > Add legacy hardware.
3. Click Next, select ‘Search for and install the hardware automatically (Recommended).’
4. Manually install the drivers and then reboot your system to save changes.
- Fix HDMI Sound Not Working in Windows 10
- How to Fix YouTube Running Slow On Your PC
- Fix Service Host: Local System High CPU and Disk Usage
- How to Fix Windows Update Error 80244019
That’s it you have successfully learned How to Update Realtek HD Audio Drivers in Windows 10 but if you still have any queries regarding this tutorial then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.
This page is AWESOME! Thank you for helping me out!
i. Where do I go from here have a Toshiba Satellite laptop and the sound is not working after a Windows 10 “upgrade” I need to change Realtech on the computer. Toshiba website has been useless, refusing my request for an audio driver
Aditya – This is a crystal clear, step by step process for eliminating the audio problem created by a Win 10 update. It appears that this problem is a codec related issue – that is brought on by the change in streaming protocols, ( my understanding: codec = COmpression / DECompression as opposed to the older simple MOdulate / DEModulate of legacy modems ). While an oversimplification, it seems that this is just a way to translate what is now a compressed signal, likely a POE issue for audio, into a usable signal for driving the audio devices – is it possible that at some point new audio cards, drivers and speakers may be required?