The security and privacy of computer systems, as well as the data they contain, is critical. Having your system security penetrated and your important files stolen is a nightmare that many people nowadays fear. Unfortunately, many organizations and people have already had this fear come true due to situations in which hackers gained access to information intended to be kept secret. If you are looking for best free folder lock software for Windows 7, 8 or 10, this article will help you find them. Best free folder locker software such as IObit Protected Folder, WinZip, WinRAR, Anvi Folder Locker etc. along with their key features and download links are listed below. So, continue reading to know about best free folder lock software for Windows 10.
- Best Free Folder Lock Software for Windows 10
- 1. Gilisoft File Lock Pro
- 2. HiddenDIR
- 3. Folder Lock
- 4. SecretFolder
- 5. IObit Protected Folder
- 6. Lock-A-Folder
- 7. Folder Guard
- 8. Secret Disk
- 9. WinZip
- 10. WinRAR
- 11. Wise Folder Hider
- 12. File Protect System
- 13. dCrypt X
- 14. Lock & Hide Folder
- 15. Folder Lock Pro
- 16. Free Hide Folder
- 17. Folder Protector
- 18. EXE Locker
- 19. AES Crypt
- 20. My Secret Folder
- 21. Instant LOCK
- 22. The Padlock
- 23. Private Folder
- 24. A+ Folder Locker
- 25. My Lockbox
- 26. PenyuLocker
- 27. Anvi Folder Locker
- 28. Quick File Locker
- 29. Easy File Locker
- 30. Safehouse Explorer
- 31. Advanced Folder Encryption
- 32. 7 Zip
Best Free Folder Lock Software for Windows 10
Fortunately, using folder lock software is one of the most common ways to secure your information. Folder Lock Software is a set of tools that lets you keep others from accessing, changing, or deleting your files and folders. ANVI folder locker free download for Windows 10 process is also included in this article.
1. Gilisoft File Lock Pro
Gilisoft File Locker Pro is one of the best free folder lock software for Windows 7, 8 & 10 that comes with a slew of useful features to help you safeguard your files.
- This tool helps you hide or password-protect your file.
- This software is compatible with Windows 2000, XP, 7, 8, 10, and 11.
- You can lock folders on various storage devices, such as flash drives, external USB drives, and internal hard discs.
- It is capable of locking LAN-shared folders and has a simple and interactive interface.
- Gilisoft File Lock Pro services are accessible in various languages, such as English, Czech, and Chinese.
- You can clean disc spaces using the disk wiper option.
- It provides military-grade encryption.
Moreover, if you forget your password, you won’t be able to uninstall this software. In this case, you can find the password in the registered email.
HiddenDIR is an easy-to-use tool and is one of the best free software for the reasons listed below:
- This tool offers a basic solution to secure your files without any additional installation or plugins.
- Concealing and password-protecting files are the highlighted features of HiddenDIR.
- It is compatible with Windows
- This Windows-compatible tool allows important files to be invisible, i.e., hides them.
- This portable tool maintains your privacy by locking your files or directories.
- When someone launches the software, you can specify a password for which they will be prompted.
- This Windows 10 folder lock program has a user-friendly UI and hides whole folders.
- Once directories have been added to the hidden list, they are immediately hidden.
3. Folder Lock
Folder Lock has many familiar features that help you perform various file-protection tasks. This folder locker for Windows 7 & 10 available for free download has the following features:
- Its real-time cloud syncing capability is handy for storing sensitive data in cloud-based safe lockers.
- The Folder Lock app is an easy-to-use free folder locker for Windows 7, 10, Mac, and Android devices.
- You can also encrypt compact discs and USB drives.
- It is an easy-to-use tool that can sync and encrypt backup files.
- Also, it uses a two-way encryption mechanism for security purposes.
- You can delete files or folders you don’t want others to see and backup your important files.
- The tool offers a free 30-day trial version, and the licensed version is available at $39.95.
SecretFolder is an excellent tool that can work in its favor or against with significant features that are listed below:
- SecretFolder is a free Windows 10 Folder lock with basic features and a simple way to lock your files.
- Another great feature of SecretFolder is its password security. You can’t delete a file without its password.
- But, you can easily unlock the folder if you know the password.
- Also, it prevents ransomware and virus attacks on your data.
- It gives unrestricted storage protection and keeps your confidential files safe from prying eyes.
- This program allows you to keep data isolated from public areas.
- This free tool is available for Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11.
5. IObit Protected Folder
IObit has a more advanced privacy and security function to protect files and folders and is one of the best tools available in the list for the following reasons:
- It encrypts important folders and protects your files from unauthorized access and harmful applications.
- It is compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2000.
- It has a clean and easy-to-use user interface.
- Though powerful in terms of capabilities and interface, IObit is easier to handle.
- You can simply hide, deny access to, and change the security settings for your folders or files.
- It has two versions: free and premium. The premium version costs $19.95/year.
Lock-A-Folder is one of the free file lockers that is incredibly simple to use.
- All your important files will be encrypted and do not take up much space on your device.
- It is compatible with Windows Vista and XP.
- Also, it allows you to set or change the password using the Change Master Password option since you need a password to uninstall the tool.
- You can still rename the folder even if it’s locked.
- It will automatically reset the lock if you forget to use it again.
- The tool can also be used to hide folders.
Also Read: 27 Best Alternatives to Microsoft Word
7. Folder Guard
Although Folder Guard has many of the same features as Folder Lock, which we mentioned before on this list, this is an entirely different product. Click here for folder locker for Windows 10 free download.
- Folder Guard also has the ability to encrypt and password-protect external hard drives.
- Also, this tool lets you turn off control panels.
- It is compatible with Windows
- The fact that it uses military-grade encryption.
- It also includes backing up files to a password-protected database, which is an excellent feature.
- Additionally, it can safeguard your files from virus and malware threats.
- This program is one of the free folder locks for Windows 7/8/10/11 and business users.
- You can also buy the licensed version of this tool for $199.95 which can be used for both home and business use.
- It ensures that your files are safe from illegal access, hacking, and cyber theft.
8. Secret Disk
Secret Disk already stands out because of its dependable and intelligent automated folder locking technology.
- It is compatible with Windows 7/8/10/11.
- You can easily password protect or make your data invisible on your local disc and external drives.
- Furthermore, the application automatically locks your files when you close them or if there is a power outage.
- This PC folder locker allows you to create a private disc that can be hidden.
- This tool is available in free and professional versions. The professional version costs $14.90/year.
WinZip is a fantastic application for encrypting your data and has the following significant features:
- Encrypting your zipped or unzipped files is simple by using WinZip.
- It is compatible with Windows 11/10/8/7 and Mac.
- The tool is available for a 21-day free trial.
- The software is available in three licensed versions: Standard (INR 2,596), Pro (INR 4,366), and Ultimate (INR 9,438).
- The tool provides the strongest banking-level encryption.
- Your encryptions and passwords are entirely within your control.
- Apart from protecting your files, you can unzip and compress files.
- Additionally, you can back up files to the cloud.
The WinRAR utility, like WinZip before it, offers a highly robust encryption scheme and the following notable features:
- WinRAR makes it simple to encrypt your files and secure your data before sending it by encrypting it at a high level.
- Individuals can use the verified signature approach and 256-bit password encryption to protect their data in transit.
- The software is compatible with Windows, macOS, Linux, FreeBSD, and Android.
- It offers a free trial for 40 days.
- Also, a licensed version is available at $29.00/1 user. The cost varies with the number of users and devices.
- It’s accessible in more than 40 different languages.
- The tool uses Authenticated Signature Technology to protect your files.
- It can split archives into several volumes.
11. Wise Folder Hider
Wise Folder Hider is one of the best free folder locker software for Windows 10, 8 & 7 that allows you to hide your personal images, movies, and data.
- This program generates a second-level password for a folder, disc, or file on local drives and USB devices.
- It gives you a more secure and simple way to change your password-protected files.
- It is compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10.
- It has two versions: free and Pro. The Pro version costs $29.95/year.
- It has an easy-to-use UI and can encrypt files and directories up to 50 MB in size.
- You can easily hide a directory by just right-clicking on it.
12. File Protect System
Next on the list is the File Protect System. It is one of the best folder lock software for PC free with the following features:
- This Windows-compatible program can encrypt files and directories.
- This tool is free and available in various editions, depending on the usage. The various editions are Free, Light, Standard, Semi-Professional, Professional, and Enterprise.
- It uses hash algorithms like Message Digest 5, RIPEMD-160, Secure Hash Algorithm 1 [SHA-1], and SHA-256 to turn data into cypher code, making your device a cypher machine.
- You can use an integrated email client to transmit and receive secure and personal information.
- It allows you to create file packages to archive or backup files or folders.
13. dCrypt X
dcrypt X is a program that encrypts your personal papers and has the following significant features:
- You can encrypt files and hard drive partitions using SnowFrost Engine cryptography.
- This free software is available for Windows 8.1 and 10.
- Without any difficulty, you can lock and unlock files.
- This tool provides a text preview of the file that can be edited.
- You can make your work visible to a certain user.
14. Lock & Hide Folder
Lock & Hide Folder is a tool that makes it simple to protect your sensitive data and is one of the best folder locker for Windows 10 free download for the following reasons:
- It allows you to use shortcuts to expose or conceal sensitive files.
- Also, this tool blocks access to files from the command prompt.
- Additionally, you can permanently delete folders or directories.
- It is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7, Vista, and Windows XP/2000.
- You cannot hack the locked directories even after reinstalling the Windows OS.
- The 256-bit Blowfish Encryption technique is used to protect your files or folders.
- This file locker tool automatically starts when you start your device.
- Remember that the assigned shortcuts cannot access files in the folder.
- You can use the free version or the full version at the cost of $29.
15. Folder Lock Pro
Folder Lock Pro is a file and folder locking, hiding, and protection program with the following significant aspects:
- This program has a user-friendly interface and prohibits anyone from accessing a folder without first inputting the password.
- It is compatible with Windows 7 or above and Android.
- This program will monitor and track your folder and file actions.
- You can back up your password by sending it to yourself.
- You can also protect data in an external disc attached to the USB drive.
- Additionally, it offers password security on LAN systems.
- It is available in a free version and a Pro version for $1.99.
Also Read: 19 Best Free File Manager for Windows
16. Free Hide Folder
Free Hide Folder is one of the best free folder lock software for Windows 10 with the following significant characteristics:
- This tool protects your files using a password and is free of viruses, malware, and adware.
- It is compatible with Windows.
- The tool is available in several languages, including English, German, Spanish, French, Korean, Japanese, and Arabic.
- This tool has a simple and easy-to-use user interface.
- There is no need to change the file system structure.
- This tool protects an unlimited number of folders simultaneously.
17. Folder Protector
Folder Protector is a portable application that encrypts and protects data and folders on a USB flash drive or a hard disc.
- This tool uses 256-bit encryption to protect your files from being deleted, moved, or accessed by others.
- The operating system supported are Windows 7, 8 & 10.
- It’s available in English, French, Japanese, Russian, and German, among other languages.
- This program works with memory sticks, thumb drives, memory cards, and other storage devices.
- You don’t have to install the tool to use it.
- Additionally, this free tool protects your files or folders from malware attacks.
18. EXE Locker
EXE Locker is a simple open-source program that allows you to encrypt .exe files with the following notable features:
- EXE Locker employs cutting-edge encryption technology and AES-256 encryption to protect your folder or file.
- It is compatible with Windows and is completely free.
- You can securely convert your files to executable ones with password protection.
- You can easily unlock any files without the need to install the tool.
- The steps involved in Folder Locker for Windows 10 free download are simple and do not include complexities.
- This tool is free of adware.
- Additionally, you can download the tool from GitHub or Dropbox.
- You can also create a backup of your files or folders.
Also Read: 28 Best File Copy Software for Windows
19. AES Crypt
AES Crypt is a simple password-protected folder locker and has the following significant features:
- This folder lock for Windows 10 is free and open source.
- The tool uses a 256-bit encryption algorithm to encrypt the files.
- It is possible to use the command-line interface.
- The encryption file can be read by PHP and Java developers.
- It’s compatible with Mac, Windows, Linux, Python, PHP, Java, Android, and iOS.
- You cannot access the files or folders without knowing the password.
- The tool is suitable for both business and home uses.
20. My Secret Folder
My Secret Folder is one of the best free folder lock software for Windows 10 & folder locker for Windows 7 that creates a hidden directory where you can keep your data safe from prying eyes.
- The software allows you to access folders anytime quickly you need them.
- The application will enable you to customize it to meet your specific needs.
- It is compatible with Windows 7/8.1/10/11/Vista/XP.
- You can configure this program in Windows safe mode to secure a folder.
- It can clear the list of recently used documents and applications on the system.
- This tool protects files or folders on FAT/FAT32 (File Allocation Table)and NTFS (New Technology File System) disks.
- This tool is also available in three licensed versions: Home ($19.99/2 computers), Professional ($39.99/3 computers), and Office ($99.99/10 computers)
21. Instant LOCK
Instant LOCK is another popular and effective folder locker app for Windows 7, 8 & 10, comprising the following features:
- Instant Lock can immediately lock and hide your files and folders, requiring a password to access them.
- This file protection program is compatible with all Windows versions, from Windows NT to Windows 10.
- It also prevents anyone from deleting your files and directories.
- The file lock program can only be deleted and removed by someone who has a password.
- The tool is available in various languages, such as English, Korean, German, Arabic, Polish, Turkish, French, and Italian.
- This tool offers a free trial version, and the complete version costs $19.99.
Also Read: 9 Best Calendar Apps for Windows 11
22. The Padlock
The Padlock is an excellent alternative to Windows folder locking software and consists of the following significant features:
- It can protect both folders and files and add additional directories to it
- It is compatible with Windows 7/8/2000/XP/Vista/10.
- You can easily add items by dragging and dropping them in the required field.
- You cannot delete or remove a password-protected file or folder unless it is unlocked.
- It is one of the greatest programs on this list since it protects unlimited files from illegal deletion and maintains privacy.
- This tool is available in five languages.
- It is completely free.
- It is portable and light since it uses a low CPU and RAM.
23. Private Folder
Private Folder is a free Windows program that allows you to lock folders and takes its place on this list for the following reasons:
- It will enable you to add many directories at once.
- It is compatible with Windows 7/8/2000/Server 2008/2003/XP/Vista/10.
- You may also create a master password to prevent unauthorized users from accessing or changing the software’s settings.
- You may set Hide Folder or Lock Folder options for your folders.
- If there is no activity detected on a particular folder, it will automatically lock after the time limit.
- It allows you to open a locked folder without unlocking it from its original location.
24. A+ Folder Locker
A+ Folder Locker is a free program that allows you to password secure folders and files on your device. Click here for folder locker for Windows 10 free download.
- This program employs various encryption techniques, such as Blowfish, Serpent, DES, and Ice.
- It allows you to create a folder in which you may preserve and safeguard your files or folders.
- This tool will protect extra drives on your computer where you can keep your files and folders.
- It runs on the system from Windows NT to 10.
- It allows you to lock using a password or a pattern.
- These lockers may be compressed at three levels: low, medium, and high.
- It includes an in-built anti-hacking protection system, which allows you to choose the number of attempts required to enter the correct password.
- The locker will self-destruct if someone enters a password that exceeds the stated limit.
- Additionally, you can search for particular files and directories.
- You can add files or folders by drag and drop.
- This tool is available in a licensed trial version that costs $34.95.
Also Read: Top 30 Best IRC clients for Windows
25. My Lockbox
My Lockbox is yet another Windows program for password-protecting a folder and has the following features:
- You can only lock one folder at a time.
- It is compatible with Windows 7/8/XP/Vista/10.
- It allows you to generate a password and a password hint to help if you forget the password.
- Its free edition is only for personal use.
- The tool is also available in other versions: My Lockbox Personal ($5.99/quarter/1 PC), My Lockbox Home ($11.99/quarter/5 PCs), and My Lockbox Standard ($29.95/1 PC; one-time purchase)
- My Lockbox Home is limited to home usage, while the Personal and Standard are limited to office use.
- Even after using this software to lock a folder, you may use its Trusted option to make that folder accessible to specific apps.
- It does not require any additional requirements to install the tool.
- The interface is simple and easy to use.
PenyuLocker is a free folder lock for Windows 7 and takes its place on the list due to the following reasons:
- It is yet another program that allows you to lock infinite folders on your computer’s hard disc or external drives.
- But, only one folder may be added at a time.
- It is compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7.
- By providing a password, you can use the Lock option to protect your files and folders.
- The unlocking procedure is identical to the locking procedure; here, you must select the Unlock option instead of the Lock option.
27. Anvi Folder Locker
Anvi Folder Locker is a security solution designed to assist you in managing and protecting your crucial files.
- You may lock your personal files to safeguard your privacy, and you can password-protect them.
- Anvi folder locker download is compatible with Windows 7/8/XP/Vista/10.
- This tool is entirely free.
- You may also apply permissions such as Lock, Read Only, and Hide to your files to prevent them from being edited, duplicated, or erased.
- You can hide sensitive or secret documents.
- Additionally, you can set a password on a file or folder so that only users with the correct password may access it.
- Online technical help is available 24/7.
- The disadvantages of this app are the lack of cloud storage support and minimal security features.
Also Read: Top 26 Best Grammarly Alternatives
28. Quick File Locker
If you’re seeking a file protector tool that can hide sensitive data, lock down confidential files, and secure private photos, Quick File Locker is the one for you. It is also one of folder locker for Windows 10 to free download.
- Quick File Locker is the best file locking program compatible with Windows 7/8/2003/Vista/XP/10.
- Quick locker makes file locking extremely simple.
- All you have to do is drag and drop the files or use the right-click menu in Windows Explorer.
- Its Master Password System secures your data.
- The tool is available in more than 39 languages.
- You can use the free version or the complete version at the cost of $9.
29. Easy File Locker
Easy File Locker is another one of free folder lock for Windows 7 or Windows 10. It is a lightweight gadget with a powerful protective feature and also has the following aspects:
- Once the files have been locked, no one will be able to view, access, delete, change, rename, or duplicate them.
- It is compatible with Windows 7/8/Server 2008/Vista/10.
- The tool will not affect your system’s performance.
- It is quite simple to use.
- The tool is completely free.
30. Safehouse Explorer
Next on the list is Safehouse Explorer. This is one of best free folder lock software for Windows 10 used widely in the USA, UK, and Brazil.
- It is the best encryption tool for external and internal drives.
- Several types, such as photos, videos, texts, databases, and so on, can be hidden and secure with a password using a 256-bit Twofish encryption technology.
- This tool allows you to create unlimited storage for up to 2K GB.
- This tool is available in various languages, such as English, Italian, Japanese, Korean, German, Chinese, and Russian.
- The tool is free and compatible with Windows 7/8/Vista/XP/2003/2008/Server 2012/10.
- Unfortunately, this tool has issues integrating with Windows Explorer .
31. Advanced Folder Encryption
Advanced Folder Encryption is another software to encrypt files and folders on your system, consisting of the following features:
- You can easily lock files, folders, and local drives in simple two steps.
- This tool uses AES 256-bit encryption technology to encrypt your files.
- Additionally, you can lock external storage devices, such as USB flash drives, memory sticks, jump drives, pen drives, thumb drives, memory cards, and other portable disks.
- The software is supported by Windows 8/7/Vista/2003/XP/2000/10.
- You can set separate and unique passwords for each folder.
- You can easily recover the password from the recovery center if you have forgotten the password.
- This tool is available in several languages, such as English, Korean, Japanese, Arabic, Italian, French, and Russian.
- This tool offers free technical support through email.
- The software is available for a free trial.
- You can purchase other license versions, such as Single-User ($19.95/1 PC), Multi-User ($29.95/3 PCs), and Site ($69.95; Unlimited PCs).
32. 7 Zip
7 Zip is another folder locker for Windows 10 that you can free download. It is an open-source software that secures files and folders using a unique password and consists of the following reasons:
- This tool uses strong AES 256-bit encryption to protect your files and folders.
- This tool is available in over 87 languages, including English, German, Spanish, Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, French, and Chinese.
- Also, you can share the password via text message or email.
- The software is compatible with Windows 8/7/Vista/XP/2000/2003/2008/2012/2016/2019/10.
- The interface is simple and easy to use.
- Fix Rainbow Six Siege Crashing on Windows 10
- How to Disable BitLocker in Windows 10
- How to Copy the Full Path of a File or Folder on Windows 10
- How to Encrypt a Folder in Windows 10
We hope that this article was helpful for the best free folder lock software for Windows 7, 8 or 10. Let us know your favorite tool from the list. Drop your queries or suggestions, if any, in the comments section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn next.