A database is a collection of files that contain all of a system’s data. Database design is a set of procedures that make it easier to create, develop, deploy, and maintain database management systems. Well-designed databases can assist you in increasing data consistency for disc storage. There is a vast choice of ER diagram tools available to assist you in creating database diagrams. Database developers use ER diagrams to sketch out the design of a database. These ERD diagram tools allow you to easily construct tables and connections by creating a physical model or ER diagram in DBMS. This article will help you learn about the best ERD maker.
20 Best ER Diagram Tools
Several ERD diagram tools are available, but deciding which one is appropriate for your project can be difficult. Nonetheless, your data model is critical to the success of your overall project. Therefore, it’s critical to get it properly. The following is a hand-picked selection of Database Diagram Design Tools, descriptions of their most popular features, and links to respective websites. This ER diagram online tool list includes both free and paid database design software.
1. Microsoft Visio
Microsoft Visio is one of the best ER diagram tools. Following are some of its features:
- This program is available with Microsoft 365 software.
- It contains stencils for creating ER diagrams.
- It also has the feature to reverse engineer the database model.
- You can draw info on the input and output for each entity and the process.
QuickDBD is one of the best ERD maker that allows you to create a database diagram rapidly and is considered the best for the following features:
- It aids in the professional appearance of your document.
- Your diagrams can be shared on the Internet.
- It allows you to draw a schema (database structure) without moving your hands from your keyboard.
- This database diagram tool features an easy-to-use interface.
- Typing may be used to create diagrams.
Also Read: How to Draw in Microsoft Word in 2022
Slickplan is a diagram and flowchart program that makes it simple to design professional diagrams, flowcharts, and organizational charts.
- Slickplan may be used for simple job management and much more sophisticated activities.
- Plot diagrams in Slick plan to create the best flow for your website.
- You can create a visual representation of complicated user flows on your website.
- Also, you can create plot conditional components and transition across pages with ease.
- You can draw diagrams quickly and effortlessly.
- With just a few mouse clicks, you can create diagrams.
DrawSQL helps you to generate sophisticated database model diagrams that are both beautiful and functional.
- It’s a tool for creating, collaborating on, and visualizing database entity-relationship diagrams.
- It gives you a live record of your app’s schema, which you can use to start building a new feature or onboarding a new team member.
- By importing its SQL script, you can construct a database diagram automatically.
- Your diagrams may be exported using MySQL DDL.
- It allows you to build Laravel Migrations from your diagrams automatically.
- Its features include the ability to add notes to your database.
- 200+ database diagrams of well-known apps are available.
- It supports three common database management ETL tool systems: MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Microsoft SQL Server.
Also Read: How to Swap Columns or Rows in Excel
Lucidchart is an HTML5-based ERD diagram tool for creating sophisticated database diagrams and needs to be tried for its significant features listed below:
- Any data or schematics related to your corporate account can be permanently deleted.
- You may use this database diagram tool to integrate real data into your diagrams.
- Lucidchart uses cryptography to keep your diagram safe.
- This ERD maker works perfectly with Microsoft Office, G Suite, Atlassian (an issue tracking tool), and other programs.
- Lucidchart is an online tool that may be used to create a variety of diagrams, including ER diagrams.
- You may manually design an ERD or have one generated for you by inputting data into Lucidchart.
- Lucidchart includes templates and an ERD shape library when you manually design a data model, which you must activate from the shape manager.
- Your model will be exported to DBMS queries using this application.
- You can model your data collaboratively from anywhere in the world if you have a Lucidchart operational account.
- You may collaborate with your colleagues on any device and across several platforms.
- This ER diagram tool makes managing user accounts a breeze.
- You may use data import to create organization charts automatically.
DbSchema is an ERD maker that works with SQL, NoSQL, and Cloud databases.
- You may use the tool to create and interact with database schemas graphically, collaborate on schema design and deployment across many databases, produce HTML5 diagram documentation, visually explore data and develop queries, and much more.
- You can create a schema as a group and deploy it across many databases.
- Also, you can compare different schema versions and create migration scripts.
- Interactive Diagrams, Relational Data Explorer, and Visual Query Builder are all part of the HTML5 documentation.
- Database Reports, Schema Synchronization, Random Data Generator, and Data Loader are other features of this software.
- It has an autocompletion SQL Editor.
Also Read: 27 Best Alternatives to Microsoft Word
SchemaSpy is a Java-based program that examines the metadata of a database schema.
- It’s a database design tool that uses ER diagrams to make the process easier.
- JDBC (Java Database Connectivity) compatible DBMS are supported by this tool.
- For foreign keys, you may create an ER diagram.
- Schemaspy has the ability to convert databases to HTML.
DeZign is a database designer for visualizing data structures to design a new database and has the following significant features:
- This tool also aids in the comprehension of your current database tables and relationships.
- It provides developers with an easy-to-use and powerful data modeling tool.
- This tool can create an Entity Relationship Diagram graphically (ERD).
- You can use the pan and zoom window to navigate a huge diagram.
- It can be used with a variety of data modeling methodologies.
- The most recent version of this tool assists you in reducing database development errors.
- DeZign uses ERD to create database graphics.
- Diagrams may be exported to bitmap, PNG, JPEG, and GIF formats.
Also Read: 26 Best 3D Modeling Software
9. Database Designer for MySQL
Database Designer for MySQL is an ERD diagram tool for creating graphical representations of tables and relationships with the following features:
- You may easily construct and maintain the database.
- It has the ability to produce reports that describe database items in the context of a diagram.
- You may edit the entity-relationship diagram with it.
- It is possible to customize the look of diagrams and objects.
- A diagram may be exported to various formats, including BMP, JPEG, PNG, and others.
- MySQL Database Designer allows you to edit and run SQL scripts.
- A database connection manager is included with this ER diagram tool.
10. Visual Paradigm
Visual Paradigm is a database management and design program and has various significant characteristics that are listed below:
- This ERD maker aids in the creation of applications by the product development team.
- It contains a diagram editor that you can drag and drop.
- The ONLINE DIAGRAMMING tool from Visual Paradigm allows you to design conceptual, logical, and physical data models.
- The ERD symbols and connections required to generate industry-standard models are also included in this tool.
- Online collaboration with your team is possible.
- You can download the program and work on your PC without the need for cooperation.
- You may start from scratch or utilize a template to create your data model.
- Visual Paradigm offers reverse engineering, which allows you to import your database from a DDL (Data Definition Language) and forward engineering.
- The automatic production of foreign keys while creating an ERD is a good touch.
- Oracle, DB2, Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise, Sybase SQL Anywhere, MySQL, HSQLDB, Cloudscape/Derby, and PostgreSQL are just a few relational databases that Visual Paradigm supports.
- You may use this tool to export the database from ERD (Entity Relationship Diagram).
- It has a REST API for database design.
- You and your team may work on the same project simultaneously.
- You may create your report with Visual Paradigm.
- It comes with a wizard that guides you through creating a database.
- Visual Paradigm is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Also Read: How to Create a Graph in Google Doc
Moqups is an easy-to-use ER diagram editing program that lets you make them according to your needs.
- You may easily share your ER diagrams with other members of your team.
- The cooperation takes place in real-time via the Internet.
- Stencils, for example, are tools for producing complete diagrams.
- You may link your diagrams and flowcharts to other visual elements like mockups, charts, and wireframes within the same project.
- Innovative features such as comments, callouts, sticky notes, and annotations are available.
Dbdiagram.io is a basic database design tool that allows you to create ER diagram in DBMS using just code.
- This ERD maker is one of the free ERD tools for data analysts and developers.
- The SQL statements can be generated directly.
- It gives you the ability to share your schematics with your coworkers.
- Web frameworks such as Django, Rails, and others can be integrated.
- It is possible to create diagrams from SQL databases.
- Diagrams created using Dbdiagram.io may be saved as images or PDF files.
- It may be used for both forward and reverse engineering.
Also Read: 30 Best Beginner CAD Software
SqlDBM is one of the greatest database diagram design tools available, allowing you to create database diagrams in any browser.
- This application does not need the usage of any other database engine, database modeling tools, or apps.
- It’s one of the greatest database design tools since it lets you import a database schema.
- Large and small databases and data models are simple to maintain.
- Diagrams can be zoomed in or out.
- You may make a physical model of your database or an ERD.
- Dark and light themes are available in SqlDBM.
- You may personalize your project view using modes such as table names only, description only, and keys only.
- It allows you to transfer or copy columns across tables.
- This software allows you to exchange tasks from your firm with your coworkers.
Dbdesigner.net is a database schema design and modeling tool available online and is considered one of the best for the following reasons:
- This database diagram tool enables you to build a database without writing a single line of SQL code.
- It features a simple user interface for creating database structures.
- Within your organization, the technology allows for team collaboration and project sharing.
- You may either import an existing database or create one from scratch.
- Dbdesigner.net allows you to save your database as a PNG or PDF file.
15. Erwin Data Modeler
Erwin Data Modeler is a program for creating logical, physical, and conceptual data models with the following features:
- This ERD maker gives commercial and technical users access to centralized model administration.
- For precise modeling, it allows you to pull data from CRM, ERP, and other sources.
- Erwin Data Modeler features a graphical interface that is simple to use.
- It compares the model and database automatically.
- Any database may be used to handle organized and unstructured data.
16. Toad World
Toad World is database modeling software that uses an automatic query rewriting tool to assist you in improving application performance.
- This program keeps track of code changes and ensures that the highest levels of quality are maintained.
- You can quickly access critical data for analysis.
- By comparing and synchronizing servers, data, and schemas, it may quickly find discrepancies.
- Without restoring from a backup, you may roll back transactions directly from the transaction log.
- You’ll be able to fine-tune your queries with ease.
- For multiple instances and servers, scripts and T-SQL snippets are executed.
- Repetitive tasks such as data and schema comparisons can be automated.
Also Read: 30 Best CSV Editor for Windows
Dataedo is another ERD diagram tool that allows you to construct data dictionaries, ER diagrams, and scripts for document servers.
- It’s an excellent diagram tool that makes documenting relational databases a breeze.
- You may share interactive HTML documentation with others.
- You may easily establish one-to-one, one-to-many, and many-to-many table relationships.
- It uses database diagrams to help you see your data.
- You can use this tool to add useful information to your database.
Vertabelo is a visual ER diagram online tool with significant features that are listed below:
- This ERD maker aids in the conceptual and physical architecture of your database.
- Database models can be accessed at any moment.
- VERTABELO is a web-based database modeling tool that allows you to create a data model collectively.
- Using Vertabelo to share a model or collaborate with a remote team is as simple as entering an email address and clicking a button.
- You may also make a public link to your model and email it to others.
- Reverse engineering and migration script generation are two of Vertabelo’s useful capabilities.
- Reverse engineering allows you to import an existing database using a simple command-line tool.
- Migration script generation provides a script that creates, alters or drops database objects based on your data model.
- Workflow is made easier with instant automated saving, live validation, versioning, cloning, and SQL previews.
- It allows you to import a database that already exists.
- You may share the model with three different access levels in Vertabelo: owner, editor, and viewer.
- To add or remove elements from the database, you can build an SQL script.
- Vertabelo creates the diagram arrangement for you.
- This ER diagram tool includes a user-friendly design and navigation options that simplify modeling chores.
- It also has XML export and import capabilities.
- This tool aids in the verification of your model and process.
- You may provide your clients or partners with a public link to your design so they can see it.
Also Read: How to Add a Page in Google Docs
DModelAid is ERD diagram online tool that uses an interactive diagram to document database design with noticeable features listed below:
- This ERD maker allows you to use SQL queries to obtain enormous volumes of data from a database.
- A table having keys, indexes, and relationships can be shown as a table of tables.
- Keyboard shortcuts are available for quick access.
- This program will document your database project for you automatically.
- To develop a project, you may use Oracle, SQLite, MySQL, and other databases.
- DModelAid allows you to establish a physical database by exporting a script from the project.
- You may switch databases at any moment, and it will still map to the data type.
Draw.io is a free and best ERD tool for creating online diagrams and has significant features as listed below:
- It is simple to create and organize drawings.
- This entity-relationship diagram tool works in all browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.
- There is no limit to the number of sizes available.
- It allows you to store the model in the location of your choice.
- This software has a drag-and-drop function.
- You may construct database diagrams in various formats, including UML (Unified Modeling Language), ERD, and others.
- It comes with ready-to-use database design templates.
- You have the option of working both online and offline.
- Draw.io is available on both desktop and mobile platforms.
- How to Open EMZ Files on Windows 10
- Top 21 Best Alternatives to Adobe InDesign
- How to Insert a Line in Word
- 21 Best Free Visio Alternatives Online
We hope that this article was helpful and you would have learned about the best ER diagram tools. Let us know your favorite ERD maker to create ER diagram in DBMS. Please feel free to leave your suggestions or queries in the comment section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn next.