Microsoft Teams has gained popularity among professionals as a communication tool. Many companies have switched to this app to maintain their productivity especially since the rise of the pandemic. Just like any other communication app, it too supports emojis and reactions. There are various different emoticons available in the Microsoft Teams app. Apart from the emoji panel, there are a few secret emoticons too. This short guide will help you use Microsoft Teams secret emoticons as well as GIFs and Stickers. So, let’s begin!
Table of Contents
How to Use Microsoft Teams Secret Emoticons in Windows PCs
Microsoft Teams recently included a new set of secret emojis in Teams. These emoticons are not special characters or animated. They are known to be secret only because most users are unaware of them. The official Microsoft Account Twitter account tweeted this inclusion as well. Additionally, you can visit the Microsoft Support page to learn about all available shortcuts and names for emojis.
Microsoft Teams allows you to insert emojis in two different ways:
- Through emoji panel and
- Through keyboard shortcuts
Method 1: Through Emoji Letter Shortcut
You can easily use Microsoft Teams secret emoticons by typing colon and the letter for that particular emoji.
Note: This will work only in Teams Desktop version and not in Teams Mobile app.
1. Press the Windows key, type Microsoft Teams, and click on Open.
2. Open a Teams channel or Chat thread.
3. Click on the chat text area and type a colon (:).
4. Then, type a letter after the colon for a particular emoji. Continue to type to form a word.
Note: When you type, the word relevant to the emoticons will appear
5. Lastly, hit Enter to send the emoji.
Method 2: Through Emoji Word Shortcut
Few common emojis in the emoji palette also have keyboard shortcuts to insert them in the chat text area.
1. Launch Microsoft Teams and go to a chat thread.
2. Type the name of the emoji under parenthesis in the chat text area. For example, Type (smile) to get a smile emoji.
Note: You will receive similar emoji suggestions while typing the same, as shown.
3. After you finish typing the name, close the parenthesis. The desired emoji will be automatically inserted.
Method 3: Through Teams Emoji Menu
Inserting emojis in Teams chats is quite simple. Follow the given steps to insert secret Microsoft Teams emoticons:
1. Open the Microsoft Teams app and navigate to a chat thread or Teams channel.
2. Click on the emoji icon given at the bottom of the chat text area.
3. Here, choose the emoji you want to send from the Emoji palette.
4. The said emoji appears in the chat text area. Hit the Enter key to send it.
Method 4: Through Windows Emoji Shortcut
Windows OS also provides you with a keyboard shortcut to open emoji panels across all applications. Following are the steps to use Microsoft Team Secret emoticons through Windows Emoji shortcut:
1. Go to Microsoft Teams and open a chat thread.
2. Press the Windows + . keys simultaneously to open Windows Emoji panel.
3. Finally, click on the desired emoji to insert it.
Note: Apart from emojis, you can also insert kaomoji and symbols using this panel.
How to Customize Emojis
Apart from using the same available emojis, you can also customize emojis in Microsoft Teams. Follow the steps listed below to learn how.
1. Navigate to the team channel or chat thread in the Microsoft Teams app.
2. Click on the emoji icon at the bottom.
3. In the Emoji palette, look for the emoji with a grey dot at the top right corner.
4. Right-click on that emoji and choose the desired customized emoji.
5. Now, the emoji appears in the chat text area. Press Enter to send it.
Also Read: How to Change Microsoft Teams Profile Avatar
How to Use Teams Emoticons in Mac
Similar to Windows, Mac also has an in-built shortcut to open the emoji panel.
1. Simply, press Control + Command + Space keys simultaneously to open the Emoji panel on Mac.
2. Then, click the desired emojis to include in your chats.
How to Use Teams Emoticons in Android
Inserting emojis on the Teams mobile app is as simple as it is on Teams PC version.
1. Open the Teams app on your mobile and tap on a chat thread.
2. Then, tap the emoji icon in the chat text area, as shown.
3. Choose the emoji you want to send.
4. It will appear in the chat text area. Tap the arrow icon to send the emoji.
Pro Tip: How to Insert Microsft Teams Stickers & GIFs
You can also insert stickers, memes, and GIFs in Microsoft Teams as follows:
1. Launch Microsoft Teams on your PC.
2. Open a Teams channel or a chat thread.
To Insert Microsoft Teams GIFs
3A. Click the GIF icon at the bottom.
4A. Then, select the desired GIF.
5A. It will be inserted in the chat text area. Press Enter to send the GIF.
To Insert Microsoft Teams Stickers
3B. Click the Sticker icon as shown.
4B. Search for the sticker and select it to insert in the chat.
5B. It will be inserted in the chat text area. Press Enter to send the Sticker.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Can we use Alt codes to insert emoticons in Microsoft Teams?
Ans. No, Alt codes will not insert emoticons, GIFs, or Stickers in Microsoft Teams. You can use Alt codes to insert symbols only in Word documents. You can find Alt codes for emojis online.
Q2. What are custom emojis in Microsoft Teams?
Ans. The custom emojis are nothing but the ones that are available within it. The emojis you see on clicking the Emoji icon at the bottom are custom emojis.
Q3. How many categories of emojis are present in Microsoft Teams?
Ans. There are nine categories of emojis present in Microsoft Teams for easy identification and access:
- hand gestures,
- travel and places,
- objects, and
- Complete List of Windows 11 Run Commands
- Fix Steam Error Code e502 l3 in Windows 10
- How to Stop Microsoft Teams from Opening on Startup
- Fix Microsoft Teams Keeps Restarting
We hope this guide on inserting Microsoft Teams secret emoticons, GIFs & Stickers helped you in making your chats more lively & interesting. Also read our guide on How to Blur Background on Microsoft Teams.. Keep visiting our page for more cool tips & tricks and leave your comments below.