The screen recording feature helps people to capture what appears on the screen of their computer or phone. People screen record for different reasons, for instance, to capture a webinar, record a video call or a game session, etc. If you also want to gain an understanding of how to screen record on Mac and how to screen record on Mac with audio, keep reading the article until the end! You will also learn how to stop screen recording on Mac and how to screen record on MacBook Air.
Table of Contents
How to Screen Record on Mac
Keep reading further to find the steps explaining how to screen record on Mac in detail with useful illustrations for better understanding.
How to Screen Record on Mac?
There are two ways using which you can learn how to screen record on Mac. To do so, read below:
Method 1: Using Screenshot and Recording Toolbar
This is one of the easiest ways to record screen on your mac. Follow the steps mentioned below to learn how you can do this:
1. First, press and hold the command + shift + 5 keys to launch the Screenshot utilities toolbar.
2. After that, click on the screen recording type icon. You can either choose to record your:
- Entire screen
- Part of the screen
3. Then, click on the Record option to start recording the screen.
Method 2: Using QuickTime Player App
You can also use the QuickTime Player app to record the screen on your Mac. Read the steps given below to make yourself familiar with how to screen record on Mac or how to screen record on MacBook air:
1. Launch the QuickTime Player app and click on the File option located in the menu bar.
2. Now, click on the New Screen Recording option.
3. From the Screenshot utilities toolbar, click on the Record option to record the screen.
Also Read: How to Screen Record on Discord Mobile
How to Stop Screen Recording on Mac?
After learning how to screen record on Mac, now let’s discuss how to stop screen recording on Mac.
To stop the screen recording on Mac, click on the Stop icon from the top navigation bar, as shown below.
How to Screen Record on Mac with Audio?
To make yourself familiar with how to screen record on Mac with audio, read the methods discussed below:
Method 1: Using MacBook Mic
If you want to make use of Mac’s microphone to record the audio while recording your mac’s screen, read and follow the steps mentioned below:
1. First, press and hold the command + shift + 5 keys to open the Screenshot utilities toolbar.
2. Then, click on the Options drop-down option.
3. Click on the MacBook Pro Microphone option.
Note: It may be MacBook Air Microphone if you are using that device.
Now, you will be able to record audio from your Mac microphone also while screen recording.
Method 2: Using iPhone as Mic
You can also use your iPhone as mic for a superior audio quality for your screen recordings. To get started, read the following methods:
1. Navigate to the Screenshot utilities toolbar by pressing and holding the command + shift + 5 keys.
2. Click on Options from the toolbar.
3. Next, click on your iPhone’s Mic as the audio source.
Now the audio will be taken from your iPhone’s mic when you screen record on your Mac.
Also Read: How to Fix AirPods Mic Not Working on Zoom on Mac
Method 3: Using Loopback Extension
To record the screen with system audio using the third-party app, you will first have to download and install Loopback. Adhere to the given steps to do so:
Note: Remember that you let the installation of system extensions on your Mac use Loopback. You can do this easily by navigating to Mac’s recovery screen and by modifying a setting.
1. Open Loopback and click on the New Virtual Device option.
2. Then, click on the plus icon located beside sources.
3. Choose the desired app for which you want to record the audio.
4. If you want, rename the virtual device so that you can remember it easily. But the default Loopback Audio is also alright.
5. Following that, press and hold the command + shift + 5 keys to open the Screenshot utilities toolbar and click on Options.
6. Now, choose Loopback Audio as the microphone.
Hereafter you will be able to record the audio playing inside the apps you choose while making the virtual device in Loopback.
How to Set a Timer for Screen Recording?
Many people like to set the timer for screen recording. If you also want to learn how you can do this, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. First, access the Screenshot utilities toolbar by pressing and holding the command + shift + 5 keys.
2. Consequently, click on Options.
3. Now, from the Timer section, select the desired time.
Also Read: How to Crop a Screenshot on Mac
How to Change the Destination Folder for Saving Screen Recordings?
Now, you might be clear about how to screen record on Mac. But to learn about where your screen recordings are saved and how can you change the folder to save them, you will have to keep reading. The screen recordings are by default saved on the Desktop. But you can also get these recordings saved to some other place.
To change this setting, read the steps discussed below:
1. Press and hold the command + shift + 5 keys to access the Screenshot utilities toolbar and click on Options.
2. Click on the desired location where you want your screen recordings to get saved.
Note: You can also click on the Other Location… option to see all the available locations on your Mac.
How to Remove Audio from Screen Recording?
After you screen record, then you realize that you no longer need the audio in the screen recording. Thus, to remove the audio, abide by the given steps:
1. First, locate the recorded video in the QuickTime Player.
2. Now, click on the Edit option located in the menu bar.
3. Click on the Remove Audio option to remove the audio from the recorded file and then Save it.
- Fix Windows Update Failed with Error 0x80242016
- Top 20 Best Mac Clipboard Manager Apps
- How to Screen Record Chromebook
- 19 Best Screen Recorders for Mac
We hope that you learned about how to screen record on Mac. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn about next.