Updating your PC regularly ensures that your PC runs smoothly. But many users have reported Windows update failed with error 0x80242016. So, if you are also facing the discussed problem, you are on the right page. In this guide, we will tell you the reasons for Windows 11 update errors and how to troubleshoot that Windows 11 0x80242016 error. So, keep reading until the end to learn more!
Table of Contents
- How to Fix Windows Update Failed with Error 0x80242016
- Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
- Method 2: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Method 3: Repair System Files
- Method 4: Disable Windows Search Properties
- Method 5: Disable Antivirus Temporarily (If Applicable)
- Method 6: Manually Download and Install Updates
- Method 7: Clear Windows Update Cache
- Method 8: Restart Windows Update Service
How to Fix Windows Update Failed with Error 0x80242016
Let us first discuss the reasons for Windows update failed with error 0x80242016:
- Poor internet connection
- Corrupted faulty system files
- Conflict with third-party software
- Corrupt software distribution folder
Now, you know the reasons. So, let us learn how to fix Windows 11 update error.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
Before utilizing the advanced and complex methods to fix the Windows 11 0x80242016 error, first, try out the basic troubleshooting methods mentioned in the following sections.
1A. Restart PC
Restarting your PC or laptop is the first possible method to resolve the Windows 11 update error. Rebooting your PC will remove temporary data and resets some components, both of which can assist in fixing Windows update failed with error 0x80242016 problem. Therefore, restart your computer. We know that you can do it by yourself, but you can learn some more tricks in our guide on 6 Ways to Reboot or Restart a Windows 10 Computer.
1B. Fix Slow Internet Connection
An unstable and unreliable internet connection can also cause the Windows 11 0x80242016 error. So, first, go and check the internet speed on your computer by running a Speedtest.
On the other hand, if it is slow and inconsistent, you will have to fix your internet connection. Let’s see the steps for that:
1. Click on the Windows icon from the taskbar on your Windows 11 PC/laptop and type Troubleshoot settings in the search bar.
2. Click on Open.
3. Then, click on Other troubleshooters.
4. Click on Run from the Internet Connections section.
5. Now, click on Troubleshoot my connection to the Internet.
Also Read: Why is Windows 11 Suddenly So Slow and How to Fix It?
Method 2: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
You can take the assistance of Windows 11 inbuilt Windows Update Troubleshooter, as it can resolve the issues related to Windows 11 update error. Read the below-mentioned steps to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
1. First, press Windows + I keys together to open Settings.
2. Click on System > Troubleshoot.
3. Click on Other troubleshooters.
4. Now, click on the Run option for the Windows Update field.
5. Wait till the troubleshooter detects problems.
6. Procced as per the onscreen instruction.
7. Restart the PC and check if the issue is resolved.
Method 3: Repair System Files
If corrupt files are present on your device, it can lead to Windows 11 0x80242016 error. So, we suggest you repair the system files. System File Checker (SFC command) is a tool you can use to check for and repair faulty files on your computer. Moreover, Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) can be used to fix Windows OS issues.
1. Type Command Prompt in the Windows search bar and click on Run as administrator.
2. Type the following command and hit the Enter key.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
3. Wait for some time until the process ends. DISM will now restore the files that need to be repaired in the current installation.
4. Once the process gets over, execute the following command.
After the process gets over, the files will be repaired.
Also Read: Fix Windows Update Service Could Not be Stopped
Method 4: Disable Windows Search Properties
Some users have reported that modifying Windows Search Startup type behavior to Manual can resolve the problem. The steps for the same are given below:
1. Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys simultaneously.
2. Now, type services.msc and press the Enter key.
3. After that, scroll down and right-click on Windows Search.
4. From the context menu, click on Properties.
5. In Windows Search Properties (Local Computer) window, click on the General tab.
6. Click on the Startup type drop-down field.
7. From the drop-down menu, select Manual.
8. Next, click on Apply to save the changes.
9. Restart the PC and check whether the discussed issue is resolved.
Also Read: How to Fix Windows 11 Update Stuck
Method 5: Disable Antivirus Temporarily (If Applicable)
The third-party Antivirus installed on your computer can cause the Windows update failed with error 0x80242016 because it can occasionally interfere with the Windows update procedure. So, you can briefly turn off the security software and then try installing the update once again. Read and follow our guide on How to Disable Antivirus Temporarily on Windows 10 to learn how to do it.
Method 6: Manually Download and Install Updates
You can use the Microsoft Windows Update Catalog to download and install the updates on the operating system manually.
Note: Know the KB number of the update before you download the update on your computer.
1. Open Settings by pressing Windows + I keys together.
2. After that, click on Windows Update from the left pane.
3. Note down the KB number for the update that has failed.
4. Next, visit the Microsoft Update Catalog page on your browser.
5. In the search box, type the noted KB number and click on Search.
6. After that, click on the Download option for the respective file.
7. In the window that appears, right-click on the hyperlink and select the Save the linked content as… option.
8. Choose the desired location to save the installer with the .msu extension and click on Save.
9. Now, press Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer and locate the Downloaded file.
10. Double-click on the .msu file.
11. Click on Yes in the installer prompt.
Note: It may take a few minutes for the installation to be completed and after that, you will receive a notification regarding the same.
12. Restart the PC/laptop after saving your unsaved data.
Also Read: 14 Ways to Clear Cache in Windows 11
Method 7: Clear Windows Update Cache
Clearing Windows updates cache can help you to fix Windows 11 update error 0x80242016 by making more space for new updates. To clear Windows update cache:
1. Press Windows + X keys together to open the Quick Link menu.
2. Select Task Manager from the menu, as shown.
3. Click on File > Run new task from the menu bar on the top.
4. Type wt.exe. Then, check the box marked Create this task with administrative privileges and click on OK.
5. Press the Ctrl + Shift + 2 keys together to open Command Prompt in a new tab.
6. Type net stop bits and press the Enter key.
7. Type net stop wuauserv as shown and press the Enter key.
8. Type net stop cryptsvc and hit Enter.
9. Then, press the Windows + R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
10. Type C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and click on OK, as depicted below.
11. Press Ctrl + A keys to select all files and folders present in the said folder. Then, press Shift + Del keys together to delete them permanently.
12. Click on Yes in the Delete Multiple Items confirmation prompt.
13. Go to the SoftwareDistribution folder by clicking on it in the address bar at the top.
14. Open the DataStore folder by double-clicking on it.
15. Once again, use Ctrl + A keys and then hit Shift + Del keys together to select and delete all files and folders, as illustrated below.
Note: Click on Yes in the Delete Multiple Items confirmation prompt.
16. Switch back to the Windows Terminal window.
17. Type net start bits and press the Enter key.
18. Then, type the command: net start wuaserv and press the Enter key.
19. Type the command: net start cryptsvc and hit Enter to restart update related services.
20. Close all windows and restart the PC.
Let’s see another method to fix the Windows update failed with error 0x80242016.
Also Read: 16 Settings You Should Change to Protect Your Privacy in Windows 11
Method 8: Restart Windows Update Service
In the software distribution folder, temporary files are stored. These temporary files are used while the PC performs its update. When the software distribution folder gets corrupted, Windows 11 0x80242016 can occur. So, clean the discussed folder and then restart the Windows update service. The steps to clean and restart the Windows update service are given below:
1. First, press the Windows key on the keyboard.
2. After that, type cmd in the search box and select Open.
3. Type the following command and press Enter key.
net stop wuauserv
4. Next, execute the below-mentioned command to stop the update and background intelligent transfer service.
net stop bits
5. Now, navigate to the below-mentioned folder location path:
This PC > Windows (C:) >Windows > SoftwareDistribution
6. After that, delete all the content by selecting it.
7. Now, run the command mentioned below and press the Enter key.
net start wuauserv
8. Next, run the following command.
net start bits
- Top 10 Best Blue Light Filter App for PC
- Fix ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR in Google Chrome
- Fix Windows 11 Update Error 0x800f0988
- Complete List of Windows 11 Run Commands
So, we hope you have understood how to fix the Windows update failed with error 0x80242016 with the detailed methods to your aid. You can let us know any queries or suggestions about any other topic you want us to make an article on. Drop them in the comments section below for us to know.