For up-and-coming music artists, recording their own music is crucial to get the best results. However, finding the right tool to help you grow can be difficult and a challenge. Well, in this article, we have come up with a list of the best free and paid audio recording software for Mac to help you kick-start your musical journey.
Best Audio Recording Software for Mac
Whether you are a professional content creator or a budding talk show host, having reliable audio recording software is essential. Thankfully, there are tons of options on the internet, designed to ease your creative pursuit. Here are some of the best free audio and video recording software for Mac that you should consider.
GarageBand is among the most popular audio recording software for Mac users. It offers an easy-to-use way of recording high-quality mesmerizing musical tunes on your device. With an intuitive design and tons of features, you can create music with ease and fuel your passion.
- You can add virtual drummers, percussionists, and different beats from a variety of genres.
- It offers 40 basic lessons to help you start your musical journey.
- You can use iCloud to store and access your projects across multiple Mac devices.
- You can use up to 255 tracks to record, mix, and master their skill.
- GarageBand also works with Logic Remote.
Audacity is a free, open-source, cross-platform audio recording software for Mac devices. It serves as an easy-to-use multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Owing to its diverse range of functionalities, Audacity is a versatile tool for music lovers.
- Audacity helps to record live audio using a microphone or mixer.
- You can import, export, edit, and merge multiple sound files with ease.
- This software supports 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit audio.
- Audacity is compatible with different plug-ins such as Audio Unit Effect, LADSPA, and Nyquist.
- You can use this tool to cut, copy, paste, and delete your audio tracks.
3. PRO TOOLS
Developed by Avid Technology, PRO TOOLS is a free professional digital audio workstation (DAW). It is popularly used for recording, editing, and mixing audio to get professional results with ease. Owing to its plethora of features and intuitive interface, PRO TOOLS offers a comprehensive set of valuable tools.
- Pro Tools lets you add lyrics, comments, and color-coded notes to any track.
- It comes with numerous loops, sound options, and plugins.
- Pro Tools also offers a Sonic Drop every month with new content for license holders.
- This software features Cloud Collaboration.
- You can use it for basic editing features such as fix, trim, and tweak.
Also Read: 21 Best Audio Editing Software for Mac
ARDOUR is a powerful digital audio workstation for professional-level tools and features that are just right for music production, recording, editing, and mixing. It is compatible with Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
- You can record audio using a microphone or import audio or MIDI from a hard drive or the Freesound database.
- ARDOUR can help you with basic tasks such as cutting, copying, pasting, deleting, trimming, aligning, renaming, and unlimited undo/redo.
- It offers different effects like pre-fader, post-fader, automate, sync, and isolate.
- You can use different plugins like LADSPA, LinuxVST, LV2, and AudioUnit.
ocenaudio is a versatile and user-friendly audio editor that is a suitable choice for beginners as well as advanced users. Built on the Ocen Framework, ocenaudio ensures seamless development across various platforms. It helps users to edit audio files and produce amusing tracks. It is one of the best free audio recording software for Mac devices.
- ocenaudio is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux users.
- This software supports multiple plugins like VST.
- It features a real-time preview feature, so you can easily adjust the required audio effects.
- You can use ocenaudio to select different portions of an audio file and edit them accordingly.
- It uses an advanced memory management system to prevent using excessive computer memory.
- You can also view the spectral content of your audio.
Macsome Audio Recorder is another amazing tool designed to record high-quality audio from various sources on your device. For this, it offers a diverse range of features to enhance your overall audio recording experience. Here is what you need to know about Macsome:
- You can convert recorded audio files into MP3, AAC, and FLAC.
- It lets you customize settings to cater to diverse requirements.
- You can add ID tags to search the required audio file later with ease.
- Macsome has an in-built Silence Monitor to detect muted sections.
Also Read: 12 Best Audio Editing Apps for Android
AudioNote by Luminant Software combines the convenience of note-taking with the power-packed features of a voice recorder. It saves time by combining the functionality of both and helps to boost the overall quality of notes. It is a suitable option for beginners and intermediates.
- AudioNote syncs your notes and audio to help during an important business meeting or class lecture.
- Every note on this app is directly linked to the exact point in the recorded audio, eliminating the need to search manually.
- You can even insert highlighter notes, additional text, images, and illustrations.
- AudioNote comes with an in-built audio amplifier.
RecordPad is a fast, user-friendly, and versatile audio recording software. Developed by NCH Software, it helps users to record audio from different sources and save them in the required formats.
- It lets you save recordings in MP3, AIFF, and WAV formats.
- You can choose to stop and start recording manually or use voice-activated recording to make the entire process automatic.
- RecordPad can be integrated with other NCH software for additional functionality.
9. AUDIO HIJACK
The next option on our list is AUDIO HIJACK by Rogue Amoeba. It allows users to record and manipulate audio from different websites and apps with ease. Whether you like to record in a studio or use remote VoIP conversations, this is a go-to cool. The best part is that it is not limited to recording. Instead, you get truckloads of other features such as this best Audio Recording Software for Mac such as:
- You can record audio from apps like Safari and Skype on your Mac.
- Audio Hijack can also capture audio from microphones and other input devices.
- You can use its Live Stream feature to send audio directly to Facebook Live, Twitch, and YouTube Live.
- This software can be used to send audio to Shoutcast and Icecast servers.
10. Logic Pro
Logic Pro is a fully-fledged powerful tool to help people with a knack for producing record-breaking music tracks like a pro. It pairs tons of different features with an intuitive interface and empowers users to produce high-quality music. Logic Pro is a must-try app on this list.
- It features integrated Dolby Atmos tools to help users mix and export songs as spatial audio.
- Logic Pro offers an extensive range of plug-ins and sound options.
- The 3D Object Panner offers enhanced precision to position sound around users.
- You also get different instruments, loops, and sounds created by the most popular makers.
Also Read: 20 Best Free Audio Editing Software
MuLab is an intuitive music production software designed for beginners and professionals. With its user-friendly interface and diverse features, MuLab allows users to record, edit, mix, and create music with ease.
- MuLab is available for both Windows and MacOS.
- It also supports MIDI VST plugins.
- MuLab offers Time Line as well as the new popular Live Matrix.
- You also get 100+ effects and instruments.
- This software comes with a multi-functional browser.
Reaper is a comprehensive digital audio production software. It offers a multitude of features and supports a vast range of plugins and hardware to make the entire music production stage less tedious and more enjoyable.
- Reaper helps users to record, edit, and mix audio to create music tracks on their Mac.
- It is a fast and efficient alternative to many other similar software.
- The software features multichannel support for MIDI routing.
- You can use different plug-ins such as VST, LV2, AU, VST3, and JS.
13. Ableton live
Ableton Live is a go-to option for people who are beginners or specialize in creating innovative music production. With cutting-edge technology and a user-friendly interface, Ableton Live offers a unique approach and allows users to create high-quality music with its features.
- With its linked-track editing, you can link multiple tracks and edit them simultaneously.
- You can try Ableton Live for free for 90 days and enjoy all features.
- It also allows to use MPE-capable controller to precisely add pressure, slides and bends to every note.
- You get to use different instruments like a string quartet, brass quartet, and piano for added effects.
- Additionally, you get six effects such as Vector FM, Vector Grain, and Vector Delay.
With Piezo audio recording software on your Mac, you can easily record and edit audio as per your preference. Furthermore, it requires minimal configuration, making it ideal for beginners and intermediates.
- Piezo is an easy-to-use and inexpensive tool for music recordings.
- You can use it on any application including VoIP apps.
- It also lets users save audio from browsers like Safari and Chrome.
- The software efficiently records videos playing on apps like VLC and other video player.
Also Read: 18 Best Free Audio Editing Apps for Android
Apowersoft Streaming Audio Recorder helps users record audio from various websites, video apps, and radio stations. Equipped with numerous features, this user-friendly tool is a must-have for people who want to record and work with high-quality sounds. Apart from advanced features, you can use this tool for basic features like cutting, copying, pasting, and merging. It is one of the best free audio recording software for Mac devices.
- It supports different output and input formats including AAC, MP3, WMA, and M4A.
- Apowersoft Streaming Audio Recorder comes with an in-built audio converter.
- It has an in-built search engine to manually look up songs.
- This tool converts audio into formats compatible with iTunes.
Interestingly, EaseUS is a popular choice among people looking for the best audio recording software for Mac. EaseUS is preferred among creators and gamers who want to record their ground-breaking intense gaming sessions with ease. Moreover, it is considered one of the best free audio and video recording software for Mac.
- It has an in-built media player and video editor.
- You get an AI-powered noise remover.
- EaseUS lets you record full-screen, multi-screen, and selected portions of your screen with audio.
- You can also use its inbuilt record player.
- EaseUS is available for MacOS and Windows.
17. Adobe Audition
Adobe Audition is a perfect tool for professionals who want to take their audio mixing and recording skills to a new level. This comprehensive tool comes with a multitude of features that help you with everything from recording, and mixing, to editing, and restoring content. This powerful tool can help you boost productivity.
- You can use different audio enhancements and effects to edit your audio clips.
- It lets you experiment with your creativity with multitrack sessions.
- Audio Audition features a clean and simple UI to make it less complicated.
- You can use a microphone to record something fresh or work with previously recorded tracks.
WavePad Music and Audio Editor is another software for Mac users to record and edit audio tracks. It pairs basic editing features with advanced ones to provide the convenience of all the good features at your fingertips. For instance, you can cut, copy, paste, and trim for some basic editing.
- WavePad lets you add different mesmerizing audio effects.
- It supports numerous formats like VOX, AIFF, MP3, FLAC, and GSM.
- You can convert multiple files at once.
- It even lets you bookmark specific audio files to locate them easily.
- WavePad features an easy-to-use interface.
Cleanfeed is an online audio recording and broadcasting tool. It is popularly known for streaming high-quality videos with minimal latency. Moreover, this powerful tool is designed specifically for live broadcasts, interviews, and podcasts. Nonetheless, you can use it for professional audio recordings and enjoy a hassle-free experience. It is one of the best free audio and video recording software for Mac.
- Cleanfeed is an easy-to-use software.
- You get three different subscription options including Starter, Pro, and Enterprise & Education.
- All you need is a browser and a microphone to begin recording.
- You can connect up to four different devices to record separate tracks.
Also Read: 20 Best Free Music Editor Online
Hya-Wave is a valuable tool that offers diverse features and audio effects, useful for creative projects. With its user-friendly interface and a collection of sound effects, Hya-Wave aids users unleash their creativity and produce music tracks.
- Hya-Wave lets you record audio using a microphone.
- You can use different filters using its effect left.
- You can cut, copy, paste, undo, and redo your actions.
- This software also lets you prelisten before applying the filter.
When it comes to the best audio recording software for Mac, the choices are endless. From professional-grade tools for seasoned creators to user-friendly options for noobs, there is something for everyone. However, the ultimate decision depends on your specific needs and preferences. Nonetheless, you should consider a few factors while making the decision including pricing, ease of use, features, and most importantly, system requirements.