A Chromebook is referred to as a laptop or tablet that runs Chrome OS, a Linux-based operating system. Chromebooks have evolved since their initial design. Initially, they could only do tasks using the Google Chrome browser. But since 2017 and 2018, they can run all Android and Linux apps. When Chromebook connects to the internet, programs like Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Keep, and Google Drive synchronize data. One Chromebook can hold multiple accounts, and you can also remove personal account and change primary account from Chromebook. If you are someone looking for tips about how to remove account from Chromebook, this guide will be helpful for you. You will learn about all these things in detail, along with the steps to remove owner from Chromebook without password.
Table of Contents
How to Remove Account from Chromebook
Chromebooks can operate offline as well as the Google Play Video content is also accessible offline. Other Chromebook form factors are Chrome box desktops, Chrome base, Chrome bit, an HDMI stick PC, and Chromebook tablets. Keep reading further to find the steps explaining how to remove account from Chromebook in detail with useful illustrations for better understanding.
How Do You Change the Owner on Your Chromebook?
A Chromebook’s owner account is the first Google account to be used on it. Owner permissions on a Chromebook cannot be transferred straight to another account. If you want to remove an owner account or change primary account on Chromebook, you must factory reset your Chromebook. Following the upcoming steps will result in a complete factory reset of your Chromebook:
Note: Ensure that you have signed out of your Chromebook account. Also, back up all your important files saved on Google Drive or an external drive.
1. Click on the Quick Settings panel from the bottom right corner of the screen.
2. Then, click on the Settings gear icon.
3. Scroll down and click on Advanced > Reset settings.
4. Then, click on Reset from the Powerwash option.
5. After the reset is finished, Sign in to your Chromebook with the desired Google account to set it as the owner of your Chromebook.
How to Change Your Default Google Account on a Chromebook?
Google always uses your default account when opening new windows. You must log out of every account first because Google makes the first login the default. Here’s how to change the default Google account on your Windows or Mac computer, which also changes the default Gmail account. Here’s how to change your default Google account on Chromebook:
1. Launch Google Chrome on your Chromebook.
2. Click on your Profile icon from the top right corner.
3. Click on Sign out of all accounts.
4. Then, Sign in to the desired Google account which will be now set as default on your Chromebook.
Note: Your primary login account typically appears as default when you choose another account.
How Do You Change the Primary Account on Your Chromebook?
The primary account on Chromebook is the owner’s account. A Chromebook’s owner account is the first Google account to be used on it. Follow the below steps to remove account from Chromebook:
Note: Log out of your Chromebook and back up all your files and data before performing a factory reset.
1. Click on the Quick Settings panel > Settings gear icon.
2. From the left pane, click on Advanced.
3. Then, click on Reset settings, as shown below.
4. From the Powerwash option, click on Reset.
5. Lastly, Sign in to your Chromebook with the desired Google account to set it as the primary account on your Chromebook.
Also Read: How to Install Windows on a Chromebook
How Do You Remove an Administrator Account on Your Chromebook?
The administrator is a member of your company, not Google, so Google cannot provide you with specific information about that person. However, these are some suggestions for questions to ask.
How to know who your administrator might be:
- The individual who provided you with your login, such as firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Someone from your help desk or IT department (at a company or school).
- The person in charge of your website or email service.
Here’s how to remove account from Chromebook belonging to an administrator:
1. From the Quick Settings panel, click on Sign out.
2. Then, from the Sign in screen on your Chromebook, select the desired profile you want to remove.
3. Then, click on the Down arrow icon next to the profile name.
4. Click on Remove this user.
5. Again, click on Remove this user to confirm the process.
How Do You Remove a Personal Account from Chrome?
Personal accounts on Chromebook could be either your owner account, user (guest) account, school or work account, or Google account. Follow the upcoming steps to remove a personal account from Chrome.
1. Launch Google Chrome on your Chromebook.
2. Click on the Profile icon from the top right corner.
3. then, click on Sign out of all accounts.
Note: You can add these personal accounts to Chrome again by signing into those accounts with account credentials.
How to Remove Owner from Chromebook Without Password?
The only way to remove owner from Chromebook is to factory reset your Chromebook. Follow the below steps to perform a complete factory reset of your Chromebook:
1. Open the Quick Settings menu and click on Sign out.
2. Press Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R keys from the keyboard.
3. Click on RESTART.
4. After restart, click on Powerwash from the confirmation screen.
Also Read: 12 Best Android OS for PC
Why Can’t You Remove a User From Your Chromebook?
If you could not remove an account from Chromebook, the account might be the owner or primary account.
How to Sign Out of Chromebook?
If you want to transfer accounts or give your Chromebook to someone else, you should sign out of your account. Here’s how you can sign out of Chromebook:
1. Click on the Quick Settings panel from the bottom right corner.
2. Then, click on Sign out.
How to Reset Chromebook?
Users are advised to factory reset their Chromebooks to remove all their data and accounts. It’s necessary to back up important files stored on Google Drive or another external storage device before performing a factory reset on your Chromebook. Follow the below steps to factory reset your Chromebook:
1. Open the Quick Settings panel and Sign out of your Chromebook account.
2. Press Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R keys.
3. Click on RESTART > Powerwash.
- Fix Creative Sound Blaster Not Detected in Windows 10
- Fix Chrome Errors While Searching for Harmful Software
- How Do I Access My Epic Games Account
- 12 Ways for Establishing Secure Connection on Chrome
We hope this article was helpful and you have learned how to remove account from Chromebook and how to remove owner from Chromebook without password. Drop your queries or suggestions in the comment section below, if any. Also, let us know what you want to learn next.