Origin is a unique gaming platform because it offers a broad scope of games that are not available on other gaming platforms like Steam, Epic Games, GOG, or Uplay. But, one of the common errors you may face while using this app is Origin error code 9:0. There may be an error message stating Whoops – the installer encountered an error when you update the app or install a new version of it. This error may take place due to various bugs in your PC, antivirus/firewall complications, corrupt .NET package or corrupt cache. In this article, we will guide you to fix Origin error 9:0.
How to Fix Origin Error 9:0 in Windows 10
You must create an EA i.e. Electronic Arts account through the official website or from the client end to access games on Origin. Here are a few unique features of this gaming platform:
- You can buy, install, update, and manage a wide variety of online games.
- You can invite friends to your games.
- Just like Discord or Steam, you can communicate with them as well.
If you face difficulty connecting to the game servers, read How to Fix Unable to Connect to EA Servers in Windows 11 here.
What Causes Origin Error Code 9:0?
The developers of Origin have been silent about this issue since there are no definite reasons to pin the Origin error code 9.0. Instead, they may occur due to several unknown conflicts such as:
- .NET framework is required in your PC to run and manage applications in it. It is an open-source platform where you can build many apps in your system. If this framework is outdated, you will face Origin error 9.0.
- A third-Party antivirus program might be blocking the Origin application.
- Likewise, a firewall program in your PC may consider Origin a threat and prevent you from installing an Origin update.
- If there are too many files in the Origin cache, you will face this error code 9.0. You should therefore delete the cache regularly to avoid problems.
In this section, we have compiled a list of methods to fix Origin error 9:0. The methods are arranged according to the severity and impact level. Follow them in the same order as illustrated in this article.
Method 1: Close OriginWebHelperService Process
OriginWebHelperService is developed by Electronic Arts, and it is associated with Origin software. It is an executable file on your PC, which should not be deleted until you have a valid reason to do so. Sometimes, OriginWebHelperService may cause Origin error 9.0, and thus, disabling it from Task Manager should help.
1. Launch Task Manager by hitting Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together.
2. In the Processes tab, search and select the OriginWebHelperService.
3. Finally, click End Task as depicted below and reboot your system.
Method 2: Delete Origin Cache Files
If your system contains any corrupt configuration and setting files, you might encounter Origin error 65546:0 or 9.0. However, you can delete the corrupt configuration files by deleting data from the AppData folder as follows:
1. Click on Start, type %appdata%, and hit the Enter key to open AppData Roaming folder.
2. Right-click on Origin folder and select Delete option, as depicted below.
3. Hit the Windows key, type %programdata%, and click on Open to go to ProgramData folder.
4. Now, locate the Origin folder and delete all the files except the LocalContent folder since it contains all the game data.
5. Lastly, restart your PC and check if the issue is resolved.
Method 3: Update .NET Framework
.NET framework in your PC is necessary to run modern games and applications smoothly. Many games have an auto-update feature for the .NET framework, and thus it will be updated periodically when an update is pending. In contrast, if an update prompts in your PC, you can manually install the latest version of the .NET framework, as discussed below, to fix Origin error code 9:0.
1. Check for new updates for .NET framework from the official Microsoft website.
2. If there are any updates, click on the corresponding/recommended link and click Download .NET Framework 4.8 Runtime option.
Note: Do not click on Download .NET Framework 4.8 Developer Pack as it is used by software developers.
3. Run the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the .NET framework successfully on your Windows PC.
Method 4: Enable Application Management Service
Application Management Service is responsible for monitoring and releasing patches, updating apps, and offering several ways to open applications on your Windows 10 PC. It carries out all enumeration requests, installation processes, and removal of software. When it is disabled, few updates cannot be installed for any application. Therefore, ensure that it is enabled on your PC by following the below-mentioned steps:
1. Launch the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys.
2. Type services.msc, and hit the Enter key to launch Services window.
3. Here, double-click on the Application Management service.
4. Then, in the General tab, set the Startup type to Automatic as shown.
5. If the service is stopped, click on the Start button. F
6. Finally click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
Method 5: Resolve Windows Defender Firewall Conflict
Windows Firewall acts as a filter in your system. Sometimes, programs are blocked by the Windows Firewall for security reasons. You are advised to add an exception to or disable the firewall to fix Origin error 9:0 Windows 10.
Option 1: Allow Origin Through Windows Firewall
1. Type & search Control Panel in the Windows Search bar and click Open.
2. Here, set View by: > Large icons and click on Windows Defender Firewall to continue.
3. Next, click on Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
4A. Search and allow Origin through the Firewall by ticking the checkboxes marked Domain, Private & Public.
Note: We have shown Microsoft Desktop App Installer as an example below.
4B. Alternatively, you can click on Allow another app… button to browse and add Origin to the list. Then, check the boxes corresponding to it.
5. Finally, click OK to save the changes.
Option 2: Disable Windows Defender Firewall Temporarily (Not Recommended)
Since disabling the firewall makes your system more vulnerable to malware or virus attacks hence, if you choose to do so, make sure to enable it soon after you are done fixing the issue. Read our guide on How to Disable Windows 10 Firewall here.
Method 6: Remove Third-Party Antivirus Interference (If Applicable)
In some cases, trusted devices are also prevented by the third-party antivirus software from being opened. An incredibly strict security suite will not allow your game to establish a connection with the server. To resolve Origin error code 9:0, you can temporarily disable the third-party antivirus program in Windows PCs.
Note: We have shown Avast Antivirus as an example in this method. Implement similar steps for other antivirus programs.
1. Navigate to the Antivirus icon in the Taskbar and right-click on it.
2. Now, select the Avast shields control option.
3. Choose any one of the given options according to your convenience:
- Disable for 10 minutes
- Disable for 1 hour
- Disable until computer is restarted
- Disable permanently
4. Confirm the prompt displayed on the screen and reboot your PC.
Note: Once done playing games on Origin, go to the Antivirus menu and click on TURN ON to reactivate the shield.
Method 7: Uninstall Conflicting Apps in Safe Mode
If you do not face any error code in Safe Mode, it will imply that a third-party application or antivirus software is causing conflicts with the app. To determine if this is the cause behind the error code 9.0, we need to launch Origin in Safe Mode with Networking. Follow our guide to Boot to Safe Mode in Windows 10. Thereafter, follow the below-mentioned instructions to uninstall conflicting apps:
1. Hit the Windows key, type apps and features, and click on Open.
2. Click on the conflicting app (e.g. Crunchyroll) and select Uninstall option, as depicted below.
3. Click on Uninstall again to confirm the same and follow the on-screen instructions to finish the uninstallation process.
4. Finally, restart your PC and check if the error code persists or not. If it does, try the next solution.
Also Read: How to Stream Origin Games over Steam
Method 8: Reinstall Origin
If none of the methods have helped you, then try uninstalling the software and reinstalling it again. Any common glitches associated with a software program can be resolved when you uninstall the application entirely from your system and reinstall it. Here are a few steps to implement the same to fix Origin error code 9:0.
1. Launch Apps & features from the Windows search bar as shown in Method 7.
2. Search for Origin in Search this list field.
3. Then, select Origin and click on the Uninstall button shown highlighted.
4. Again, click on Uninstall to confirm.
5. Now, click on Uninstall button in the Origin Uninstall wizard.
6. Wait for the Origin Uninstallation process to be completed.
7. Finally, click on Finish to complete the uninstallation process and then restart your system.
8. Download Origin from its official website by clicking on Download for Windows button, as shown.
9. Wait for the download to be completed and run the downloaded file by double-clicking on it.
10. Here, click on Install Origin as depicted.
11. Select the Install location… and modify other options as per your requirement.
12. Next, check the End User Licence Agreement to accept it and click on Continue as illustrated below.
13. The latest version of Origin will be installed as shown.
14. Sign in to your EA account and enjoy gaming!
- How to Access Microsoft Teams Admin Center Login
- How to Set TF2 Launch Options Resolution
- How to Play 3DS Games on PC
- Top 10 Best Kodi Linux Distro
We hope that you could learn how to fix Origin error code 9:0 in your Windows 10 desktop/laptop. Let us know which method worked for you the best. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.