A firewall is a popular network security device. It keeps track of incoming and outgoing network traffic. Moreover, it also decides which traffic to allow or deny in accordance with a set of security rules. It can be hardware, software or a mix of both. It is essential to have one on your PC because hacking, phishing and leaking of personal data have become common. So, if you are looking for best free firewall for Windows, you are on the right page. Because in this article, we will be telling you best free firewall software for Windows. So, keep reading.
Best Free Firewall for Windows
As cybercrimes have increased, you must keep your personal information, data, files, login credentials, and financial information safe. To ensure that all this information remains secure, you can use any of best free firewall for Windows. We have presented a list along with its features to help you decide which one you should download. But before that, let us discuss are free firewalls safe.
Are Free Firewalls Safe?
Yes, free firewalls are safe as:
- Many of the free firewalls are secure and reliable.
- It can block some of the cyber-attacks.
- Apart from this, it ensures that your privacy is not infringed upon.
But there are some problems associated with them. Let us take a look at some of them:
- It can make changes to your search engine.
- Moreover, no guaranteed protection against cyber-attacks.
- Some of the free firewalls are not updated regularly.
- The overall performance of your PC may get limited because of the firewall.
List of Best Free Firewall for Windows
As we have answered are free firewalls safe. Now, let us begin with 18 best free firewall for Windows.
Comodo firewall is one of best free firewall for Windows. It updates you on suspicious files, folders and programs. So, you get informed of the threats. Apart from this, it does not interfere with your work. Some of its essential features are given below:
- It has Deny protection feature.
- Moreover, it is user-friendly.
- Also, it has lots of configuration options.
- Comodo has an attractive graphical interface.
- Apart from this, it has no complex configuration issues.
- It blocks malicious software.
2. ZONEALARM Free Firewall
More than 20 million users have downloaded ZoneAlarm Free Firewall. It protects you against cyber-attacks which are common these days. Moreover, when you use it, you will become invisible to hackers. Therefore, you will be able to protect your data. We have listed some of its excellent features that will help you decide which one you should consider:
- It prevents identity theft.
- With its help, you can detect whether your PC is running a trusted operating system.
- Moreover, it monitors the traffic entering or exiting your computer network.
- Apart from this, it gives you complete control over your firewall.
- It is one of best free firewall software for Windows.
- ZoneAlarm has a central dashboard. Thus, it becomes easy for the users to manage its settings.
Also Read: 13 Best Habit Tracking Apps For Android
TinyWall is one of best free firewall for Windows. Moreover, it is lightweight. So it will not occupy much of your device storage. Also, this will be a perfect choice if you are looking for user-friendly software. Another exciting feature that will make you download it is that no ads are displayed. Some of its key features are given below:
- No annoying pop-ups are displayed by it.
- It does not collect any of your data.
- Moreover, it is a secure firewall.
- You do not need to have expertise in ports, protocols, or application specifics to use this software.
- It is in the list of best free firewall software for Windows.
- Apart from this, it has many convenient features that will make the software the best choice for you.
- TinyWall does not install any drivers on your operating system.
- It actively blocks numerous trojans, viruses, and worms.
- TinyWall stops harmful software from changing the Windows Firewall setting.
GlassWire has a simple user interface. It alerts you every time a new app accesses the network. You can also see detailed network usage statistics. Apart from this, it alerts you when any unknown devices join your WiFi. Some of its excellent features are:
- It can detect malware, spyware and bandwidth hogs.
- You can see your current and past network activity with its help.
- Moreover, it blocks badly behaving apps.
- GlassWire is in the list of best free firewall for Windows.
- It warns you when any unusual changes are made to our app.
- Apart from this, you can download it on your Android too.
Another in the list is SimpleWall. It is easy to install and is one of best free firewall for Windows. Apart from this, it is fully tested in a virtual environment, so you can use it without any worries. It is also lightweight. Moreover, it provides a dashboard that will help you quickly understand your network. Some of its essential features are:
- It offers end to end network protection.
- Moreover, it has a content filtering feature.
- SimpleWall has an in-built bandwidth manager.
- All commonly used networking capabilities, such as port mapping, IP aliases, DHCP, and DNS servers, are pre-packaged inside Simplewall.
- It allows you to keep track of the traffic load.
Also Read: 17 Best Free Anonymous Feedback Tool
PeerBlock allows you to control how your PC interact with over devices over the internet. Apart from this, it allows you to choose what to block or what not to. Some of its key features are:
- It blocks most of the ads.
- Moreover, it blocks the whole list of IP addresses for some categories.
- It is compatible with Windows 11/Windows 10/Windows 8/Windows 7/ Windows Vista/Windows XP.
- PeerBlock is an open-source firewall.
Privatefirewall ensures that your system remains protected 24/7. It is user-friendly, so you can set it up quickly. Its main settings are Internet Security, Network Security and trusted and blocked sites. Some of its exciting features are:
- It provides you with detailed reports on monitoring results.
- Moreover, it provides configuration options.
- Apart from this, it has a highly intuitive interface.
- You can make various profiles on it.
8. AVS Firewall
Another in the list of best free firewall for Windows is AVS Firewall. With its help, you can monitor all the traffic. Apart from this, it protects its users against hacker attacks. Some of its exciting features are:
- It has lots of customization options.
- You can access the logs that keep the history of all attempted connections.
- Moreover, it allows you to specify which connection should be used.
Also Read: How to Add Windows Firewall Rule
If you are looking for free software with all the features you would expect in a firewall, then R-Firewall will be a perfect choice. It is developed by Rtools technology. Some of its excellent features are:
- It guards against intrusions, attacks, trojans, malware, and other external and internal dangers on a computer linked to a local network and the internet.
- Apart from this, it filters out inappropriate content on internet pages.
- It is compatible with Windows 8/Windows 7.
10. norton AntiVirus Plus
norton AntiVirus Plus is also one of best free firewall software for Windows. It has a smart firewall for Windows in it. Apart from this, it has tools that help you store and manage your passwords. Moreover, it is compatible with Mac. Some of its exciting features are given below:
- It protects your financial and personal information when you work online.
- Norton AntiVirus Plus stores your essential files and docs to prevent data loss.
- Moreover, it blocks phishing websites.
- It protects your PC against virus.
NetDefender is an uncomplicated software created to help users stop all network traffic, scan specific IP ranges, and disable the ping command. It has a user-friendly interface, so it is easy to use. Some key features are:
- You can block all the incoming traffic with the help of just a few clicks.
- The installation process is easy.
- Apart from this, it has a port scanner.
- Moreover, you will be provided with a list of applications on your PC trying to connect to the outside network.
- It allows you to create, edit and delete rules.
12. Sunbelt Personal Firewall
Another on the list is Sunbelt Personal Firewall. It helps you control how your PC communicates with another PC through a local network or the internet. Moreover, it protects your PC from external and internal attacks. We have listed some of its key features below:
- Users can download and install a new version whenever one is found.
- In a configuration dialog, you can view logs.
- Its system requirements are 64MB RAM, 15MB of free disc space, Pentium 400MHz or higher and a minimal screen resolution of 800*600 pixels.
13. PC Tools Firewall Plus
If you play high-bandwidth games, then PC Tools Firewall Plus will be a perfect choice for you. It keeps the personal information stored on your PC private. Apart from this, it blocks the attempts made by the malware to leak the personal data stored on your PC. Here are its key features:
- It is user-friendly.
- With its help, you can control all the network traffic.
- It provides advanced settings also.
- History panel is also there.
- You can view and save log activity to a file.
14. Avast Antivirus
Avast Antivirus has a firewall feature that monitors all the network traffic. It is easy to use, as you just need to enable the feature to enjoy firewall protection. Apart from this, minimum input is required from your side. A guide on its web page will teach you how to enable the firewall. Some of its key features are:
- You can unblock apps.
- It can detect whether the network you are connected to is private or public.
- Moreover, you can view firewall logs.
- You will get a notification whenever any malware or hacker tries to scan your PC for open ports.
- You can customize firewall behaviour.
- It provides you with a comprehensive report of threats and malware.
15. Azure Firewall
With the help of Azure Firewall, you can centrally manage security across all virtual networks. Malware transmission via encrypted networks is stopped by Transport Layer Security (TLS) inspection. Some of its key features are:
- You will receive real-time alerts.
- It denies traffic from malicious IP addresses.
- Moreover, it prevents malware from spreading.
16. EVORIM Firewall
Evorim Firewall is compatible with Windows 7/Windows 8/Windows 10/ Windows 11. It is also one of best free firewall software for windows. Moreover, it helps you in saving bandwidth. Some of its features are:
- It has a web accelerator.
- Furthermore, it prevents web tracking.
- It is available in multiple languages.
- You can make rules that contain domain names.
- Apart from this, it protects your privacy.
- It can block botnets.
17. NG Firewall
Over 40,000 clients rely on the award-winning unified threat management system NG Firewall. It prevents malware, hacking attempts, phishing scams, and other risks from reaching customers’ devices by taking proactive measures. We have provided its key features below:
- It offers flexible deployment options.
- Live demos are available to guide you.
- Technical support is also available.
- It is easy to use.
- A dashboard is there to provide you with network status.
18. Panda Dome Essential
Panda Dome Essential provides a firewall for Windows. Apart from this, you will also get antivirus if you purchase it. Some of its key features are:
- It can block malicious websites.
- Moreover, it ensures that your password and data remain safe.
- Round-the-clock customer support is also there.
- It can scan external devices.
- Price: $47.99/year
- Fix Discord Freezes After League Game Issue
- Fix NVIDIA Telemetry Container Missing Error
- Top 20 Best Free Equalizer for Windows 10
- 29 Best Free Screensavers for Windows 10
We hope our doc has informed you well about best free firewall for Windows. So let us know about your favorite firewall, and leave your queries or suggestions in the comments section below.