You may sometimes end up with some error messages like We couldn’t connect to the update service, We’ll try again later, or you can check now, If it doesn’t work, make sure you’re connected to the internet prompt when you update your Windows 10 PC. This is a common issue and there is nothing to be worried about this problem. Although this error occurs when you do not have a proper internet connection, there are so many factors contributing to the problem. This guide will be addressing the issue with effective troubleshooting methods. So, continue reading!
How to Fix We Couldn’t Connect to the Update Service in Windows 10
There are a few reasons that contribute to the discussed problem in your Windows 10 PC. They are listed below.
- Any external plugged-in devices are preventing your updates from being installed
- Unstable internet connection
- Few essential Windows services are not running on your computer
- Antivirus program or firewall is protecting the updates from being installed, considering them as threat files
- Conflicting DNS addresses
- Presence of malware
- There is not enough space on your PC to install the new updates
- Misconfigured files on PC
Now, you know the reasons that cause the discussed error. Follow the below-mentioned troubleshooting methods to fix the same.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
Here are a few basic troubleshooting methods to fix the issue.
1. Unplug External Devices
When you face We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later Windows 10, check if you have connected any external peripheral devices or USB devices. If so, you are advised to remove them to avoid any electromagnetic interference contributing to the problem. Follow as instructed.
1. Firstly, unplug all the external USB devices connected to your computer.
2. Then, disconnect the webcam devices, printer, and other peripherals and leave the most extremely necessary devices connected.
3. Finally, check if you have fixed We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later Windows 10 issue or not.
2. Check Network Speed
To ensure everything runs properly, you must make sure the internet connection is in stable condition. Sometimes, the Wi-Fi connection may not be fast enough, so in this case, you have to restart your router or check the network speed. Try running a SpeedTest to check the optimum level of network speed required for the proper connection.
Check if your Windows 10 PC satisfies the below criteria.
- Find the signal strength of your network and if it is very low, clear all the obstructions in between the way.
- Avoid too many devices connected to the same network.
- Always use a modem/router verified by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and they are free of conflicts.
- Do not use old, broken, or damaged cables. Replace the cables if necessary.
- Make sure the wires from the modem to the router and the modem to the wall are stable and out of disturbance.
If there are any internet connectivity issues, check our guide How to Troubleshoot Network Connectivity Problems on Windows 10 to troubleshoot the same.
Also Read: Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80070017
3. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
If there are any bugs and problems in your computer, you cannot update your Windows PC. Windows built-in troubleshooter helps you fix network connectivity issues, corrupt registry keys, and corrupt Windows components contributing to We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later Windows 10 error can also be fixed by this tool. Follow the steps instructed in our guide How to Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.
Perform as demonstrated and thereby resolve the problems identified by the troubleshooter.
Method 2: Restart Essential Windows Services
Some essential Windows services like Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer services must be enabled on your computer to avoid couldn’t connect to the update service issue. The Background Intelligent Transfer services use available bandwidth to install any latest updates so that your computer installs any update only if there is no other installation in progress. If these services are disabled in your system, you are more likely to face the discussed error. Hence, restart essential Windows services as instructed below.
1. Press the Windows key, type Services and click on Run as administrator.
2. Now, scroll down and double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
3. Now, select the Startup type to Automatic, as depicted.
Note: If the Service status is Stopped, then click on the Start button. If the Service status is Running, click on Stop and Start it again.
4. Click on Apply > OK to save the changes. Check if you can install the latest updates.
5. Repeat all these steps for other Windows services like Cryptographic, MSI Installer, and Windows Update Services.
Also Read: Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x80070103
Method 3: Modify Windows Update Service
If you have ensured Windows Update services are running but you still face we couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later Windows 10, then there is another simple workaround to fix update problems. Firstly, stop the Windows Update service and delete the SoftwareDistribution folder in your File Explorer. Then again start Windows Update services. Follow as instructed below.
1. Launch the Services app as administrator.
2. Now, scroll down the screen and right-click on Windows Update.
3A. If the Status is not set to Running, skip to Step 4.
3B. If the Status is Running, click on Stop as shown.
4. Wait for 2 to 3 seconds on the prompt screen, Windows is attempting to stop the following service on Local Computer…
5. Now, open the File Explorer by clicking Windows + E keys simultaneously. Now, navigate to the following path.
6. Now, select and right-click on all the files and folders and click on the Delete option.
7. Similarly, navigate to the given path and Delete all the files and folders.
8. Again, switch to the Services window and right-click on the Windows Update, and select the Start option.
9. Wait for 3 to 5 seconds in the prompt, Windows is attempting to start the following service on Local Computer…
Finally, you have restarted your Windows Update services thereby deleting the contents in the Software Distribution folder. Check if you can install the latest updates on your Windows 10 PC.
Method 4: Repair System Files
If your system has any corrupt files, you must repair them first before installing any updates. To resolve We couldn’t connect to the update service issue, you are advised to run SFC/DISM utilities on your Windows 10 computer as instructed in our guide How to Repair System Files on Windows 10.
Once you have completed the scanning process, check if you can install the latest updates.
Also Read: How to Fix Windows Update Error 80072ee2
Method 5: Disable Antivirus Temporarily (If Applicable)
The antivirus suite may sometimes prevent any new latest updates from being installed on your PC. Antivirus software like Norton and Avast may prevent any latest Windows update and you are advised to disable any inbuilt or third-party antivirus software temporarily to resolve the same. Read our guide on How to Disable Antivirus Temporarily on Windows 10 and follow the instructions to disable your Antivirus program temporarily on your PC.
After fixing We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later Windows 10 on your PC, make sure to re-enable the antivirus program since a system without a security suite is always a threat.
Method 6: Disable Windows DefenderFirewall (Not Recommended)
Sometimes, Windows Defender Firewall in your computer might prevent updating the device, for some security reasons. If in case, updates have been blocked by Windows Defender Firewall, you have to enable it or disable the Firewall securities temporarily from your computer. If you do not know how to disable Windows Defender Firewall, our guide on How to Disable Windows 10 Firewall will help you do so. You can also allow the app by following our guide Allow or Block Apps through the Windows Firewall
After updating your device, make sure you enable the Firewall suite again since a computer without a security program is always a threat.
Also Read: Fix Windows Update Error 0x800704c7
Method 7: Use Google DNS
Some users have suggested that changing the DNS addresses has helped them fix We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later Windows 10. Here is our simple guide on How to change DNS settings in Windows 10 that will help you change your DNS addresses on your computer. You can also switch to any Open DNS or Google DNS on your Windows 10 computer by following our guide on How to Switch to OpenDNS or Google DNS on Windows. Follow as instructed and check if you can install updates on your PC.
Method 8: Run Malware Scan
Several Microsoft experts suggest that scanning a PC will help you maintain your computer threat free. If there are any viruses or malware intrusions on your PC, you cannot use external and internal hardware devices. Hence, you are advised to scan your computer as instructed in our guide How do I Run a Virus Scan on my Computer?
Also, if you want to remove malware from your computer, check our guide How to Remove Malware from your PC in Windows 10.
Also Read: 26 Best Free Malware Removal Tools
Method 9: Uninstall Recent Updates
Any previous incompatible updates in your Windows 10 PC might not allow new updates to be downloaded in it. Hence, you are advised to uninstall the recent updates that are being installed on your computer to resolve We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later Windows 10. It is very easy to do the task and the steps are demonstrated as follows.
1. Hit the Windows key and type Control Panel. Then, click on Open as shown.
2. Now, click on Uninstall a program option under the Programs menu as depicted.
3. Now, click on View installed updates in the left pane as shown.
4. Now, search and select the most recent update by referring to Installed On the date and clicking on Uninstall option as shown below.
5. Finally, confirm any prompt and restart your computer. Check if you can fix the update problem in Windows 10.
Method 10: Extend System Partition
If there is insufficient space in the system partition, you cannot install any new updates on your Windows 10 PC. Although there are many third-party tools to increase the system reserved partition, we prefer manually doing it by following our guide How to Extend System Drive Partition (C:) in Windows 10.
Also Read: Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0XC1900200
Method 11: Clear Drive Space
If your PC does not have any drive space to install any new updates from Microsoft, you will face We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later Windows 10 error prompt. Hence, firstly check the drive space and clean the temporary files if necessary.
Step I: Check Drive Space
To check the drive space in your Windows 10 PC, follow the below-mentioned steps.
1. Press and hold Windows + E keys together to open File Explorer.
2. Now, click on This PC from the left pane.
3. Check the disk space under Devices and drivers as shown. If they are in red, consider clearing the temporary files.
Step II: Clear Temporary Files
If there is minimum available space in your computer contributing to couldn’t connect to the update service problem, follow our guide 10 Ways to Free Up Hard Disk Space On Windows which helps you clear all unnecessary files in your computer.
Method 12: Reset Windows Update Components
An effective way to fix couldn’t connect to the update service is resetting Windows update components if no other options have helped you. All the Windows update files are stored on your computer and if it is corrupt or incompatible, you must face several frustrating problems. To fix the corrupt Windows Update components in your computer, follow our guide on How to Reset Windows Update Components on Windows 10.
This simple process involves running a set of commands in the command prompt so that all the essential Windows services are restarted on your Windows 10 PC. After executing all the commands, check if you can install pending updates.
Method 13: Manually Install Updates
If all other solutions in this guide fail to work for you, still you can manually download the required update. The Windows 10 update history webpage has all history of updates released for your Windows computer. Follow the below-listed instructions to install the updates forcefully.
1. Press and hold the Windows + I keys simultaneously to open Settings.
2. Now, click on Update & Security.
3. Now, select the View update history option as highlighted below.
4. In the list, make sure the KB number is pending to be downloaded due to conflicting errors.
5. Here, type the KB number in the Microsoft Update Catalog search bar.
6. Finally, click on Download corresponding to your latest update and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
After installing the updates in your Windows 10 PC, check if the issue We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later Windows 10 is fixed.
Method 14: Update via Media Creation Tool
If you cannot install the update manually, you can try installing it using the Media Creation Tool. This is the official download platform recommended by Microsoft to fix any update errors in your Windows 10 PC. Follow the below-mentioned steps to do the same.
1. Launch any browser and then open the official download page of the Media Creation tool.
2. Now, click on the Download tool now button under Create Windows 10 installation media.
3. Run the setup file and click on Yes in the User Account Control (UAC) prompt if any.
4. Now, click on Accept button in the Windows 10 Setup window as shown.
5. Wait for the scanning process to be complete and select the Upgrade this PC now option and then click on the Next button.
6. Wait until the Windows ISO is downloaded to your PC and click on Accept.
Note: You have to wait until all the pending updates in your computer are installed on your PC so the Media Creation Tool can update your Operating System to the most recent version.
7. Finally, click on Install to complete the process.
Method 15: Tweak Windows Registry
Next, you are advised to clean the Windows Registry path corresponding to the Windows update download path to fix we couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later Windows 10 issue. You must always be careful in handling the Windows registry, else you may end up losing your files. Follow the below-mentioned steps to tweak registry keys thereby fixing We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later Windows 10 error.
1. Press the Windows key, type Registry editor, then click on Run as administrator.
2. Now, navigate to the following folder path into the Registry Editor.
3. In the right pane, search for WUServer and WIStatusServer.
3A. If you cannot find them, you cannot remove the Windows update download path. Move ahead to the next troubleshooting method.
3B. If you can find the entries, right-click on them and click on Delete.
4. Finally, restart your computer and check if you have fixed the discussed issue.
Method 16: Perform System Restore
If you are not satisfied with any of these methods, then the only option left is to restore your computer to its previous version. To do so, follow our guide on How to use System Restore on Windows 10 and implement the instructions as demonstrated. In the end, your computer will be restored to a previous state where it does not face any errors at all.
After restoring your Windows 10 PC, check if the issue We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later Windows 10 is fixed.
Method 17: Reset PC
If your computer deals with severe corrupt Windows components, an efficient way to clean all these corrupt components and boot your data is to repair the PC as instructed in our guide How to Reset Windows 10 Without Losing Data. Follow as instructed in this article and at the end, you would have fixed the discussed error.
- How to Change Skin in Minecraft PC
- Fix Configuration System Failed to Initialize on Windows 10
- Fix Windows Update Service Could Not be Stopped
- Fix Update Error 0x80070bcb Windows 10
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could fix We couldn’t connect to the update service in Windows 10. Let us know which method worked for you the best. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.