Although Windows 10 is one of the most preferred operating systems, it is not free of errors at all. One such common error is Configuration system failed to initialize which occurs in your computer when you boot your PC, open a recently installed application or an old application after an update or modification. As of now, there are no particular reasons that cause this error, yet how to fix configuration system failed to initialize Windows 10 is very simple. Sometimes, a third-party application prevents the programs to be opened up, and in another case, the .NET framework also triggers this error. Nevertheless, the steps to fix the problem are instructed in this article. Continue reading and get benefitted!
- How to Fix Configuration System Failed to Initialize on Windows 10
- Method 1: Repair System Files
- Method 2: Modify Configuration Files
- Method 3: Delete Config File of Application
- Method 4: Run Malware Scan
- Method 5: Modify Antivirus Settings
- Method 6: Disable Windows Defender Firewall (Not Recommended)
- Method 7: Update Windows
- Method 8: Update Device Drivers
- Method 9: Create New Local Account
- Method 10: Reinstall Device Drivers
- Method 11: Roll Back Device Driver Updates
- Method 11: Perform Clean Boot and Uninstall Unwanted Apps
- Method 12: Reset PC
How to Fix Configuration System Failed to Initialize on Windows 10
Here are some reasons that cause Configuration system failed to initialize error in your Windows 10 PC.
- Corrupt program files or components in PC
- The configuration files are incompatible
- Outdated applications, drivers, and Operating systems
- Presence of malicious programs on PC
- Conflicts in the user account
- Corrupt Windows installation files
Now, move ahead to the troubleshooting methods that will help you fix how to fix failed to initialize errors. In this section, you will come through some amazing troubleshooting hacks that will help you fix Configuration system failed issue in your Windows 10 PC. Follow them in the same order to get benefited.
Method 1: Repair System Files
If there are any bad configuration files on your computer, several conflicting errors occur. These corrupt bad configuration files may raise to due incomplete installation files, improper shutdown of your PC, and due to virus attacks. To prevent integrity violations, you have to run SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) scans. These two inbuilt repair tools can be executed very easily with a set of command lines as instructed in our guide How to Repair System Files on Windows 10. If you are confused about how to fix failed to initialize, follow as instructed in our guide and check if the issue is resolved or not,
Once all the corrupt configurations are repaired on your PC, check if how to fix failed to initialize issue is fixed. If you face it again, move to the next troubleshooting method.
Method 2: Modify Configuration Files
The Configuration system failed to initialize error occurs due to bad configuration files of the Microsoft framework. The .NET framework has a large storage of class libraries and it is responsible for language interoperability across several applications. So, many applications rely on these files for their normal function. All you need to do is to ensure whether the first child of the config file is the configSections element. Follow as instructed to do the same.
Note: Before you go with these troubleshooting steps, install Notepad ++ on your PC. The steps demonstrated here make use of Notepad. Follow the same with your newly installed Notepad ++ version.
1. Press Windows + E keys together to open File Explorer.
2. Now, navigate to the following location path.
Note: The version v4.0.30319 may vary according to the framework on your PC.
3. Now, right-click on the config file of the application or program that causes you the trouble and choose the Edit with Notepad++ option.
4. In the config file, go to the <configuration> element. Make sure the first child below this element is <configSections>.
5. If you find some other child elements after <configuration>, remove all the entries between <configuration> and <configSections>.
6. Save your changes by hitting Ctrl + S keys together and close all the windows.
7. Finally, reboot the PC.
Method 3: Delete Config File of Application
In any case, if the configuration file of the application is corrupt or damaged, you may face failed to initialize error. In this case, you have to delete the configuration files of your application and try relaunching it. Don’t worry! When you restart your application, the configuration files will be automatically created and hopefully, the issue will be fixed now.
1. Launch the File Explorer as shown in Method 2.
2. Now, move to the following location paths.
Note: Make sure you check the Hidden items box in the View tab to view the AppData folder.
3. Now, in both the locations, right-click on the application folder (that causes you the trouble) and click on the Delete option.
Note: You can also rename or move the folder to some other location if you want it back.
Method 4: Run Malware Scan
Many applications when downloaded from unauthorized sites, are subjected to virus attacks and malicious contents on your PC. Several tech experts suggest that, before running a newly installed application from your device, run a malware scan that could prevent any harmful attacks. If you do not know how to scan your PC, check our guide How do I Run a Virus Scan on my Computer? and follow as instructed.
Also, if you want to remove malware from your computer, follow our guide How to Remove Malware from your PC in Windows 10. This will help you learn how to fix Configuration system failed to initialize Windows 10.
Also Read: 26 Best Free Malware Removal Tools
Method 5: Modify Antivirus Settings
Sometimes, your antivirus program will prevent any application or program from being opened on your computer, considering it a threat. There are several third-party antivirus programs available online. If you have installed one of them, you have to either whitelist the app in your antivirus program or disable it temporarily.
Option I: Whitelist Apps
Firstly, let us check how to fix failed to initialize by whitelisting the conflicting app in your antivirus program.
Note: Here, Avast is taken as an example, follow the steps according to your antivirus program.
1. Press the Windows key, type avast and click on Open.
2. Now, click on the Menu option in the right corner as depicted.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Now, in the General tab, click on the Blocked & Allowed apps tab, and in the right pane, click on ALLOW APP under the List of allowed apps field.
5. Now, click on ADD > option corresponding to the application to add the application to the whitelist.
Note: Here App Installer is taken as an example, follow the steps according to your application.
Note: You can browse for the app installation path by selecting the SELECT APP PATH option.
6. Finally, click on ADD to confirm the prompt, and now, you have added your application to Avast Whitelist.
Note: Here, you may check/uncheck the Avast features (like Ransomware Shield) depending upon your convenience.
7. If you want to remove the app (later if you wish) from the Avast whitelist, then click on the three-dotted icon in the main Settings window. You will see two options over here. Click on Remove.
- Change allowed features: You can modify the features that you have enabled while whitelisting the program.
- Remove: Remove the app from the Avast whitelist.
Option II: Disable Antivirus Temporarily (If Applicable)
If whitelisting the app does not help you fix the problem, then you can try how to fix configuration system failed to initialize Windows 10 by disabling the antivirus app temporarily, as instructed in our guide How to Disable Antivirus Temporarily on Windows 10.
Once you can run the conflicting application on Windows 10 PC, make sure to re-enable the antivirus suite since a PC without a security suite is always a threat.
Method 6: Disable Windows Defender Firewall (Not Recommended)
Similar to an antivirus program, the inbuilt firewall security suite in your computer might block some applications due to some security reasons. So, you may face a Configuration system failed to initialize issue. If there are any features and rights that are blocked by Windows Defender Firewall, check our guide How to Disable Windows 10 Firewall, and follow the same instructions. Usually disabling the defender suite is not recommended due to threat attacks. So, some users prefer to allow an app or program in the Windows Defender Firewall whitelist. Follow our guide Allow or Block Apps through the Windows Firewall if you want to whitelist any app on Windows Firewall.
Note: Always re-enable Windows Firewall once you have fixed any conflicts with your Windows 10 apps and programs. This helps you prevent any malicious attacks.
Method 7: Update Windows
To maintain and support any features in your Windows PC, Microsoft provides a free service of updates. This helps you fix any bugs and errors within the PC and it improves the end-user experience and PC performance. This Windows update service also helps you update the drivers within the device. Every second Tuesday of the month is called Patch Tuesday since several security updates and patches are released on this day. Here are a few points you should know.
- You can decide for yourself whether you have to install the updates manually or automatically. We suggest you configure automatic updates for any important applications and manually update any optional updates.
- You can also check the history of updates by referring to the update history. Here, you can see the entire history of installed updates along with the date and time.
Hence, ensure if you have updated your Windows Operating System and if any updates are pending in action, use our guide How to Download and Install Windows 10 Latest Update
After updating your Windows Operating System, check whether how to fix configuration system failed to initialize Windows 10 is resolved.
Method 8: Update Device Drivers
To ensure your hardware communicates with your software smoothly, you must check whether all the drivers in your device are updated to their latest version. You can manually update your drivers from the official site of the manufacturer for every single hardware in your Windows 10 PC. You can also rely on a third-party device driver updater application to do this task. Any, faulty or corrupt drivers lead to the discussed issue and to deal with how to fix Configuration system failed to initialize Windows 10 issue, update your drivers. Many users have reported that updating network drivers have helped them fix the issue. You are advised to update WLAN drivers (network drivers ) to enhance the reliability of the network adapters, fix compatibility issues, and resolve the discussed issue. Follow our guide on How to Update Network Adapter Drivers on Windows 10 to do so.
Once you have updated the drivers on your PC, check if how to fix failed to initialize is resolved.
Method 9: Create New Local Account
If the above-listed solutions do not help you learn how to fix Configuration system failed to initialize Windows 10, there are a few possibilities that you might have some issues with the user account. In this case, you are advised to create a new local account. Confused about what is a local account? A local account on your PC does not collaborate with your Microsoft email. It just has a username and password credentials. If your current local account/ administrator account is corrupt or has any wrong configurations, read our guide How to Create a Local User Account on Windows 10, and follow as instructed. If you do not face Configuration system failed to initialize issue in your new local account, you can transfer all your data to the new account and remove the conflicting account safely from your device.
Method 10: Reinstall Device Drivers
Sometimes, you may find all the device drivers are in the latest version, but still, you are facing the same trouble. In this case, your drivers are not compatible with the current drivers due to some incompatibility issues. To deal with any incompatibility problems that occur in drivers, you can reinstall them. The steps to reinstall drivers are very easy and you can do the same by following the instructions given in our guide How to Uninstall and Reinstall Drivers on Windows 10 to reinstall drivers in your Windows 10 computer.
After reinstalling network drivers, check if how to fix configuration system failed to initialize Windows 10 is resolved.
Method 11: Roll Back Device Driver Updates
If the current version of device drivers is not compatible with your PC, you will face Configuration system failed to initialize issue. Restoring them to the previous version will help you in some cases. This process is called rollback of drivers and you can implement the steps to roll back drivers as instructed in our guide How to Rollback Drivers on Windows 10.
After your Windows 10 computer has installed the previous version of drivers, check if how to fix failed to initialize is resolved.
Method 11: Perform Clean Boot and Uninstall Unwanted Apps
If all the listed methods in this article do not help you get an idea of how to fix failed to initialize issue, try clean booting your PC. The clean boot of the PC activates only a minimal set of drivers and programs. The most essential drivers and services are enabled while others are disabled. Boot your PC in safe mode and launch your application. Check if it works for you. If this works, enable the apps one by one and identify the culprit which application is causing you the trouble. Once you have found which program is the culprit, try uninstalling it. If you do not know how to clean boot your PC in safe mode, check our guide How to Perform Clean boot in Windows 10, and implement the same steps are instructed.
Once you have booted your computer in safe mode, check if you can open the application without any errors. If so, then uninstall any recent program or application you have added to your computer. Follow the below-mentioned steps to uninstall any apps and programs on your Windows 10 computer.
1. Press the Windows + I keys together to open Windows Settings.
2. Now, click on Apps.
3. Now, search and click on the app and select Uninstall option.
Note: Here, the Minecraft launcher is taken as an example.
4. Now, confirm the prompt if any, and reboot your PC once you have uninstalled the app. Once you have uninstalled the app, check if you can open your app.
Method 12: Reset PC
If none of the methods have helped you deal with how to fix failed to initialize, then you have to clean install your Windows Operating System. This process deletes all of your hard disk data and installs a new copy of Windows 10. But, you have to back up your data, download all the necessary device drivers, be aware of system requirements, check Windows 10 activation, buy a product key, disconnect all attached devices and then begin your process. Follow the given instructions listed below.
- To reset your PC, implement the steps as instructed in our guide How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10.
- Once you have freshly installed a copy of Windows 10, check for an activated copy of Windows 10 in Settings.
- Install all the updates on your device as instructed in Method 7.
This will fix all the issues associated with the device, including the issue that we are discussing now.
- Fix Android Screen Flickering
- Fix Server IP Address Could Not be Found on Windows 10
- Fix There is a System Repair Pending Which Requires Reboot to Complete
- Fix Field Browser Doesn’t Contain a Valid Alias Configuration
That’s the end of the tutorial and I hope by now you will be able to fix configuration system failed to initialize on Windows 10 using the above-listed methods. But if you still have any questions or would like to add anything then feel free to reach out using the comment section.