Microsoft Teams provides an exceptional feature of conducting online meetings that could hold up to 10000 users at a time. You can share your ideas, conduct conferences, and connect to people without any hassle anywhere, anytime! Although this is an amazing business collaboration platform, this is not without any errors and problems like other apps as well. If you are looking for troubleshooting steps for Microsoft Teams crashing Windows 10 issue, you are at the right place! We are providing you with a perfect guide that will help you fix the Microsoft Teams crash on startup issue within simple clicks.
- How to Fix Microsoft Teams Crashing on Windows 10
- Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting
- Method 2: Run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
- Method 3: Clear Client Credentials
- Method 4: Repair Microsoft Teams
- Method 5: Clear Microsoft Teams Cache
- Method 6: Update Microsoft Teams
- Method 7: Repair System Files
- Method 8: Run Malware Scan
- Method 9: Update Windows OS
- Method 10: Update/Rollback/Reinstall WLAN Driver
- Method 11: Sign Into Desktop Version of Teams
- Method 12: Disable Antivirus/Firewall Temporarily (Not Recommended)
- Method 13: Reset Microsoft Teams
- Method 14: Reinstall Microsoft Teams
- Method 15: Contact Microsoft Support
How to Fix Microsoft Teams Crashing on Windows 10
There are many reasons that cause Microsoft Teams crash on startup issues such as:
- Temporary glitches in the Teams app.
- Corrupt cache in Microsoft Teams.
- Outdated app, drivers, and Operating system.
- Presence of corrupt files and programs on PC.
- Malware and malicious pieces of software or programs on PC.
- Antivirus and Firewall are blocking your app.
- Misconfigured files in Microsoft Teams and associated folders.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting
In this section, we have listed some common troubleshooting methods that will help you fix Microsoft Teams crash on startup issue on your Windows 10 computer.
Method 1A: Restart Windows 10 PC
If there are any temporary glitches in your PC, you will face Microsoft Teams crash on startup issue. The general trick to resolve all the temporary glitches is to restart your computer. You can restart your PC by following the steps.
1. Press and hold the Windows + D keys together to go to the Desktop.
2. Now, press the Alt + F4 keys simultaneously.
3. Then, click on the Restart option to select it from the drop-down menu and hit Enter key.
Method 1B: Force Close Microsoft Teams
If you want to enjoy a seamless Teams connecting experience in Teams, you must first completely close all the background processes of Teams and reopen them again. You can implement the same by following the below-mentioned steps.
1. Hit the Windows key and type Task Manager. Then, click on Open.
2. Now, search and click on Microsoft Teams from the list. Then, click on End task, as depicted below.
This will close all the background processes associated with Teams. Check if you have fixed Microsoft Teams crashing Windows 10 issue.
Method 1C: Check Microsoft Teams Server Status
As an additional fix, you have to ensure proper internet connectivity. But if you are still facing Microsoft Teams crashing Windows 10 issue after fixing the internet connectivity issue and restarting your device, you must check the server status. You can check whether the server is active or down by visiting some official sites like Downdetector. Follow as instructed.
1. Navigate to the official site of Downdetector.
2A. You must receive the User reports indicate no current problems at Microsoft Teams message to ensure that the Teams servers are functional and there are no server-side errors.
2B. If you see any unusual messages, you must wait until the errors are resolved.
Method 2: Run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
Microsoft Store inbuilt troubleshooter helps you prevent and fix all the Microsoft apps problems automatically. Your Windows 10 PC has an inbuilt troubleshooting tool to fix any issues in Microsoft Teams. Follow the below-mentioned steps to run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.
1. Type Troubleshoot settings in the Windows search bar and click on Open, as depicted.
2. Click on the Additional troubleshooters option, as highlighted below.
3. Then, click on Windows Store Apps > Run the troubleshooter.
4. If your troubleshooter has identified any problems on your PC, click on Apply this fix.
5. Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting and restart your PC. Check if you have fixed the issue or not.
Also Read: How to Request Control in Microsoft Teams
Method 3: Clear Client Credentials
You can also clear all the credentials associated with Teams and relaunch the Teams app to fix Microsoft Teams crash on startup issue. Follow these steps to clear your client credentials in Teams.
1. Hit the Windows key and type Credential manager. Then, click on Open.
2. Now, click on Windows Credentials, as shown below.
3. Now, expand the drop-down menu for the Office 365/Teams and click on the Remove option.
4. Now, click on Yes if you are prompted and re-login to your Microsoft Teams account. Check if the issue is resolved or not.
Method 4: Repair Microsoft Teams
Some users have reported that Microsoft Teams crashing Windows 10 issue could be easily resolved by repairing the app using the inbuilt tool. This Windows tool will sort all the problems associated with the app and help you fix the problem without any hassle.
1. Type Apps & features in the Windows search bar and click on Open.
2. Now, search for Teams in the search menu and click on Microsoft Teams from the results, as depicted.
3. Firstly, scroll down the screen and click on the Repair option.
Note: Your app data will not be affected while repairing Microsoft Teams.
Check if you have fixed the issue or not.
Also Read: Fix Microsoft Teams Video Call Not Working
Method 5: Clear Microsoft Teams Cache
Like all Microsoft Store apps, the Teams app stores cache and temporary data in the background so that you can handle all the chats and conversations quickly. But, when days pass, these caches accumulate on your PC, causing the Microsoft Teams crash on startup issue. Try clearing them all the way to check if this works.
1. Press Windows + E keys together to open File Explorer.
2. Now, navigate to the following location:
Note: Make sure you check the Hidden items box in the View tab to view the AppData folder.
3. Now, in both the locations, right-click on the Teams folder and click on the Delete option.
Note: You can also rename or move the folder to some other location if you want it back later.
4. Restart your computer and check if this works or not.
Method 6: Update Microsoft Teams
If you are using an outdated version of Microsoft Teams, you will face Microsoft Teams crashing Windows 10 issue on your PC. If you find your app is crashing on your PC, you can update the app as instructed below.
1. Click on the three-dotted icon next to your Profile Picture in Teams.
2. Then, click the Check for updates option, as shown.
3. You will see a message We will check and install any updates while you continue to work on the top of the screen.
4. Finally, Teams will get updated on your Windows 10 PC, if updates are available. Check if you have fixed Teams crashing issue.
Also Read: Best 10 Microsoft Teams Features
Method 7: Repair System Files
If your Windows 10 computer has any corrupt or damaged system configuration files, you will face Microsoft Teams crash on startup issue. This also leads to malfunctioning of your computer thereby causing performance failure. Luckily, you can repair these corrupt files by using the inbuilt utilities of your computer namely, System File Checker and Deployment Image Servicing and Management. Read our guide on How to Repair System Files on Windows 10 and follow the steps as instructed to repair all your corrupt files comprehensively.
Once you have repaired the files, check if the discussed error is fixed or not.
Method 8: Run Malware Scan
Several Microsoft experts suggest that scanning a PC will help you maintain your computer threat free. If there are any virus or malware intrusions in your PC contributing to Microsoft Teams crashing Windows 10 issue, you cannot use external and internal hardware devices. Hence, you are advised to scan your computer as instructed in our guide on How do I Run a Virus Scan on my Computer?. Also, if you want to remove malware from your computer, check our guide How to Remove Malware from your PC in Windows 10.
Also Read: How to Blur Background on Microsoft Teams
Method 9: Update Windows OS
Also, if there are any bugs in your PC, they can only be fixed after a Windows update. Microsoft releases regular updates to fix all these bugs thereby sorting Microsoft Teams crash on startup issue. Hence, ensure if you have updated your Windows Operating System and if any updates are pending in action, read our guide on How to Download and Install Windows 10 Latest Update to learn the update process in detail.
After updating your Windows Operating System, check whether you can access your camera.
Method 10: Update/Rollback/Reinstall WLAN Driver
Device drivers establish a connecting link between the hardware and Operating System of your computer. Thus, faulty, outdated, or corrupt drivers lead to Microsoft Teams crashing Windows 10 issue.
Method 10A: Update WLAN Driver
Many users have reported that updating WLAN drivers have helped them fix the said issue. You are advised to update WLAN drivers to improve the reliability of your network adapters, fix compatibility issues, and resolve the discussed issue. Follow our guide on How to Update Network Adapter Drivers on Windows 10 to do so.
Method 10B: Roll Back WLAN Drivers
When you roll back your drivers, all the current versions of the hardware device will be uninstalled and previously installed drivers will be installed on your PC. This feature will be very helpful when any new driver update does not work well with your computer. Follow the steps as instructed in our guide on How to Rollback Drivers on Windows 10 to fix Microsoft Teams crashing Windows 10 issue.
After your Windows 10 computer has installed the previous version of drivers, check if you have fixed Microsoft Teams crash problem or not.
Method 10C: Reinstall WLAN Driver
Incompatible drivers must be reinstalled to fix Microsoft Teams crash on startup issue. You are advised to reinstall device drivers only if you cannot attain any fix by updating them. Steps to reinstall drivers are very easy and you can do so by using a third-party application or manually. Follow our guide on How to Uninstall and Reinstall Drivers on Windows 10 to reinstall drivers on your Windows 10 computer.
After reinstalling network drivers, check if you have fixed Microsoft Teams crashing issue.
Also Read: Fix Microsoft Teams Keeps Restarting
Method 11: Sign Into Desktop Version of Teams
If you have not attained any fix for Microsoft Teams crash on startup yet, you can try a browser to log into your Teams account. This is an alternative to the issue and makes sure you have enabled access to media services enabled in your Windows 10 PC.
1. Visit the Microsoft Teams website and click on Sign in, as shown below.
2. Sign in with your Email, phone, or Skype with the correct Password and check if you face any problems in the web version of the app.
Method 12: Disable Antivirus/Firewall Temporarily (Not Recommended)
Below are the ways mentioned for you to fix the Microsoft Teams crash on startup issue for good.
A. Disable Antivirus Temporarily
Your antivirus program may mistakenly prevent any new latest updates from being installed on your PC. Many compatibility issues are identified by several Windows users as they are also difficult to tolerate and rectify. Antivirus software like Norton and Avast may prevent any latest Windows Teams updates. So, you are advised to disable any inbuilt or third-party antivirus software temporarily to resolve the discussed and other app-related issues. Read our guide on How to Disable Antivirus Temporarily on Windows 10 and follow the instructions to disable your Antivirus program temporarily on your PC.
B. Disable Firewall Temporarily
Similarly, Windows Defender Firewall in your computer might prevent Teams access, for some security reasons. If Teams has been blocked by Windows Defender Firewall, you have to enable it or disable the Firewall securities temporarily from your computer. If you do not know how to disable Windows Defender Firewall, our guide on How to Disable Windows 10 Firewall will help you do so. You can also allow the app by following our guide on Allow or Block Apps through the Windows Firewall.
After fixing Teams crashing issue on your Windows 10 PC, make sure to re-enable the antivirus, as well as Firewall since a system without a security suite, is always at threat.
Method 13: Reset Microsoft Teams
Resetting the app will also help you fix Microsoft Teams crashing Windows 10 issue. This process will log out your profile from Teams and you have to start again from scratch. Follow the below-mentioned steps to reset Teams.
1. Type Apps & features in the Windows search bar and click on Open.
2. Now, search for Teams in the search menu and click on Microsoft Teams, as highlighted below.
3. Firstly, scroll down the screen and click on the Reset option.
Note: Your app data will be deleted while resetting Microsoft Teams.
Check if you have fixed the issue or not.
Method 14: Reinstall Microsoft Teams
If none of the methods have helped you, you will have to resort to uninstalling the software, rebooting your PC, and then reinstalling the app later. Here are a few steps regarding the same.
1. Press and hold Windows + I keys together to open Windows Settings.
2. Now, click on Apps.
3. Now, search and click on Microsoft Teams and click on Uninstall option.
4. Now, confirm the prompt if any, and reboot your PC once you have uninstalled Teams.
5. Visit the Microsoft Teams official site and click on the Download for desktop option, as depicted.
6. Now, navigate to the Downloads folder in File Explorer and run the Teams_windows_x64 setup file.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation on your PC.
Method 15: Contact Microsoft Support
Still, if you cannot access Teams without crashing issues in both desktop and web versions of Teams, you will have to submit a query on the official Microsoft support page.
1. Visit the Microsoft Support page.
2A. You can use the Get Help app in your Windows 10 system to submit your query. For this, click on the Open Get Help app option and confirm the prompt by clicking on Open.
2B. Also, you could use the browser version to submit your problem. To do so, click on the Get support link, as shown below.
3. Now, type your problem in the available field and hit Enter. Then, answer the questions according to your convenience.
- How to Get 3 Minute Videos on TikTok
- Fix Origin Overlay Not Working in Titanfall 2
- How to Stop Microsoft Teams from Opening on Startup
- Fix Microsoft Teams Microphone Not Working on Windows 10
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could fix Microsoft Teams crashing on startup on Windows 10 PC. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn next.