Google Chrome is the primary for most internet users. It is loaded with features and managed by tech giant Google. Its large user base praises Chrome for its speed and easy-to-use UI but even after that, there are some issues that popup in Chrome often. A recent issue that is annoying some users of Chrome is its feature that displays frequently visited websites in the form of thumbnails in the New Tab. Chrome tracks your most visited websites and sets them as thumbnails for easy access in New Tab. Some users may find this useful but many want to remove visited sites from Chrome homepage. If you want to hide most visited in New Tab page Chrome then you are at the right place. We bring to you a helpful guide that will teach you how to remove most visited sites on Google Chrome in New Tab.
How to Remove Most Visited Sites on Google Chrome Homepage
This feature was added in Chrome without any notification so most users were not able to remove it. There is also no direct way by which users can disable this feature although there are some methods using which you can learn how to remove most visited sites on Google Chrome in New Tab and they are as follows.
Method 1: Modify New Tab Settings
Chrome allows you to customize the appearance of New Tab in various ways. One of which is the ability to remove shortcuts from New Tab, these shortcuts are in the form of thumbnails of your most visited sites. Disabling them will resolve this issue. Here is how you can do that.
1. In Google Chrome, press Ctrl + N keys together to open New Tab.
2. Click on Customize Chrome option located in the bottom right corner.
3. In Customize this page popup, go to the Shortcuts tab.
4. In the Shortcuts tab, toggle on the Hide shortcuts option.
5. Click on the Done option.
Now, whenever you open New Tab you will not see any shortcuts and subsequently, the thumbnails of your most visited sites will also be removed.
Also Read: 14 Ways to Fix Chrome Profile Error
Method 2: Modify Flag Settings
Flags are features that are tested in Chrome browser by Google. They are hidden from main menu in Chrome but can alter user experience as they can change settings of Chrome. Disabling one such flag will remove visited sites from Chrome homepage. Follow these steps to do so.
1. Launch the Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://flags/ in the address bar and hit Enter key. It will open the Experiments page.
3. In the search bar on the Experiments page, type Top Sites from Site Engagement and hit Enter key.
4. Click on the drop-down menu next to Top Sites from Site Engagement flag and select Disabled.
Also Read: Fix Google Chrome STATUS BREAKPOINT Error
Method 3: Clear Chrome Cache Data and History
Another solution to how to remove most visited sites on Google Chrome in New Tab is by clearing browsing data of Chrome. It will reset the site shortcuts and you won’t see thumbnails of most visited sites in New Tab. Here is how you can do that.
1. Open the Google Chrome browser.
2. Press Ctrl + H keys simultaneously to open History.
3. Click on the Clear browsing data option. It will open Settings in New Tab with Clear browsing data popup.
4. Click on the drop-down menu next to Time range.
5. In the drop-menu select All time.
6. Click on the Clear Data button.
Note: It will delete all of your browsing history.
Now you know how to remove most visited sites on Google Chrome in New Tab.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Is Google Chrome good for privacy?
Ans. Google Chrome is infamous for collecting user data and tracking user activities. They make most of their money by selling data to ad companies. It is not preferred by users who are concerned about their privacy.
Q2. Is Google Chrome secure?
Ans. Google Chrome is considered a fairly secure browser. It has features like Safe browsing which prompts users whenever they are visiting a malicious website or downloading something potentially dangerous.
- How to Delete Match Account Permanently
- 35 Best Google Chrome Flags for Android
- 16 Best Free Network Monitoring Software for Windows 10
- How to Use Snap Camera on Google Meet
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to understand how to remove most visited sites on Google Chrome and you were able to hide most visited in new tab page Chrome. If you have any queries or suggestions then feel free to drop them in the comments section.