Snapchat started as an iPhone exclusive app but owing to its unprecedented success and demand, it was also developed for Android. It became an instant hit. However, excitement and appreciation were short-lived as Android users started facing a lot of problems with the app. Apparently, the app’s requirements are high, and a lot of Android smartphones experience lags, glitches, app crashes, and other similar problems. A lot of times, the app even freezes when you open your camera to take a snap or try to record a video—thus ruining a perfect moment and opportunity to capture and share a wonderful moment. Read our guide for effective troubleshooting tips to fix all such issues on your Android smartphone.
Why does Snapchat lag or crash? How to Prevent Snapchat from Crashing
As mentioned earlier, Snapchat is a resource-heavy app meaning that it requires more RAM and processing power to work properly. When it comes to Snapchat running slowly, it might be due to CPU overload caused by background apps. Apart from that, it would help if you also had a strong and stable internet connection to be able to use Snapchat.
Method 1: Clear Cache and Data for Snapchat
All apps store some data in the form of cache files. Some basic data is saved so that when opened, the app can display something quickly. It is meant to reduce the startup time of any app. However, sometimes old cache files get corrupted and cause the app to malfunction. Follow the steps given below to delete the cache files for Snapchat.
1. Go to the Settings on your phone.
2. Click on the Apps option to view the list of installed apps on your device.
3. Now search for Snapchat and tap on it to open the app settings.
4. Click on the Storage option.
5. Here, you will find the option to Clear Cache and Clear Data. Click on the respective buttons, and the cache files for Snapchat will get deleted.
Also Read: Fix Snapchat Filters Not Working on Android
Method 2: Update Snapchat App
Keeping an app updated to its latest version is always a good thing to do as every new update comes with bug fixes that remove problems of the previous version. Apart from that, the latest version of the app is the one that is most optimized, which makes the app more efficient. Follow the steps given below to update the Snapchat app.
1. Go to the Play Store.
2. On the top left-hand side, you will find three horizontal lines. Click on them.
3. Now, click on the “My Apps and Games” option.
4. Search for Snapchat and check if there are any pending updates.
5. If yes, then click on the update button.
6. Once the app gets updated, try using it again and check if it works properly or not.
Method 3: Clear Cache from Within Snapchat
Usually, instant messaging and social media apps like Snapchat have some additional cache files apart from the ones that can be deleted from Settings as described earlier. Deleting these will reduce input lags, delays, and freezes as it makes the app lighter. Follow the steps given below to delete the in-app cache files for Snapchat.
1. Firstly, open the Snapchat app on your device.
2. Now click on the Snapchat Ghost Mascot icon on the top left-hand side of the screen.
3. After that, click on the cogwheel icon on the top right-hand corner to open the app settings.
4. Here, you will find the Clear cache option under the Account Actions section.
5. Close the app and then reboot your device.
6. Once the device starts again, try using Snapchat and see if you can feel a difference.
Method 4: Uninstall Snapchat and then Re-install it
If none of the above methods work then, it is probably time to say goodbye to Snapchat. Don’t worry; this is just for a few moments, and you can re-install the app almost immediately. If the reason behind Snapchat not working properly is in any way related to permissions, then granting them again after re-installation will solve it.
1. Open the Settings on your phone.
2. Now, go to the Apps section.
3. Search for Snapchat and tap on it.
4. Now, click on the Uninstall button.
5. Once the app has been removed, download and install the app again from the Play Store.
6. Open the app and then log in with your username and password and see if the problem still persists or not.
Also Read: Fix Tap to Load Snapchat Error
Method 5: Download and Install APK file for Older App Version (Not Recommended)
An unstable update can be the reason behind Snapchat lags and app crashes. However, rolling back updates to go back to an older version isn’t possible directly from the Play Store. The only way to do so is by downloading an APK file for an older stable version of Snapchat and then installing it. This is also known as side-loading.
Follow the steps given below to see how:
1. Open Settings on your phone.
2. Now tap on the Apps option.
3. Scroll through the list of apps and open Google Chrome.
4. Now under Advanced settings, you will find the Unknown Sources option. Click on it.
5. Here, toggle the switch on to enable the installation of apps downloaded using the Chrome browser.
The next thing that you need to do is download the APK file and install it. Follow the steps given below to see how:
1. The best place to find safe and trustworthy APK files is APKMirror.
2. Go to their website by clicking on the link giving above.
3. Now search for Snapchat.
4. You will find a number of versions arranged according to their release date with the latest one on the top.
5. Scroll down a little and look for a version that is at least a couple of months old and tap on it. Take note that beta versions are also available on APKMirror, and we could recommend you to avoid them as beta versions aren’t usually stable.
6. Now click on the “See Available APKS and Bundles” option.
7. An APK file has multiple variants; select the one that is suitable for you.
8. Now follow the on-screen instructions and agree to download the file.
9. You will receive a warning that states the APK file might be harmful. Ignore that and agree to save the file on your device.
10. Now go to Downloads and tap on the APK file that you just downloaded.
11. This will install the app on your device.
12. Make sure that you uninstall Snapchat from your phone before installing the APK file.
13. Now open the newly installed app and see if it works properly or not. If you are still facing problems, then you can try to download an even older version.
14. The app might recommend you update to the latest version but take note not to do that. Keep using the older app for as long as you want or until a new update comes with bug fixes.
Well, these are the various things that you can do to fix the issue of Snapchat lagging and ultimately crashing. There is always the option to write to the Snapchat support team and convey your grievances to them.