Group messaging, aka group texting, allows users to communicate with a group of people through the use of a cellular network, not the internet. Although internet-based group chat applications are popular nowadays, like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger, several people still prefer the group messaging method as one does not have to ensure and maintain internet connectivity all the time. And we need to communicate with a group of people every day, either for work, family, or any other purposes. Many group messaging Android applications have come to the aid of the people to do the same. So, in this article, you will learn how to perform group messaging and some ways to fix group messages not working on Android.
How to Perform Group Messaging on Android
Before getting to know about group messaging, amongst the other things, let us see first what is MMS group messaging.
MMS, short for multimedia messaging service, is a group messaging service that allows you to send texts with images, videos, audio recordings, etc., over a cellular network. You can also send group messages as MMS on the supported Android devices.
Some advantages of MMS over SMS are:
- You can easily send images, videos, and other media through the cellular network, unlike SMS.
- You can send longer messages without 160 character limit present for SMS.
- Most modern smartphones support multimedia support that creates a strong user base.
- MMS is now pretty cheap than before. And for that reason, it is more useful than SMS.
- For businesses, it is the most useful medium to reach their customers. They can enhance the communication experience with attractive images, videos, and other media forms to communicate the brand message intimately.
Now, let us see how to perform group messaging on Android. Follow the steps below to do the same.
Note 1: Since smartphones do not have the same Settings options, and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer hence, ensure the correct settings before changing any. These steps were performed on Redmi Note 5 (MIUI 11), as shown in the illustrations below.
Note 2: Google Messages is the application used for the illustrations below. Verify the below steps in your default messaging browser before making any changes.
1. Open the messaging app on your device.
2. Tap on the Start Chat as shown below.
3. Tap on the Create group option, as shown below, and select the contacts to add to the group.
4. After selecting the desired contacts, tap on Next.
5. You may name the group of your choice.
6. Now, you have created the group. You can send text, pictures, audio, or videos to the group for the members to see and communicate.
Now, if you are facing any issues in sending group messages then follow the below section to know how to fix group messages not working on Android.
Also Read: How to Stop Flash Messages
How to Fix Group Messages Not Working
Sometimes, you may experience the messaging app not behaving well while sending or receiving regular or group messages. You may not have been receiving the group messages or might be having problems while sending the text or other media messages on your phone. To fix this group of messages not working android problem, read our guide on Fix Android Messaging App Not Working thoroughly and follow the steps mentioned. After reading and following the methods, and check if group messages not working on Android issue is fixed on your device.
5 Best Group Messaging Apps
There are several group messaging apps available on Android for users to download and use as a primary communication medium. You can use any of the below-listed apps to use the group messaging feature.
1. Google Messages
Google Messages is the official messaging app from Google for text messaging (SMS & MMS) and chats, i.e., rich communication services (RCS). It is one of the best apps for group messaging Android due to the following features:
- You don’t have to organize messages in your inbox daily, as this app does it for you automatically. Most important messages are sorted first before other ones.
- It allows you to choose the option to delete one-time passwords (OTPs) automatically after 24 hours.
- You can communicate with an individual or group through cellular data or Wi-Fi.
- Google Messages allows you to send high-quality images, videos, audio, documents, etc.
- You also have the option to send or receive money with Google Pay within the messages app.
- If you are a fan of using dark mode, this app has got you covered. You can switch on the dark mode to prevent your eyes from the harmful blue light and use the app comfortably.
- You can search the contacts and media history shared with those contacts through the search option in the app. You can go back in time as far as possible to get the texts or media files you want.
GroupMe is another application famously used for group messaging around the world. It has the best features most people look for in a messaging app. Some of them are mentioned below:
- You can add any person to this app through mobile numbers or email addresses. You can even chat through SMS if you’ve just started using the GroupMe app.
- This app allows you to use emojis to enhance the experience of virtual communications with much deeper emotions.
- You have the control to choose which notifications you can receive. It also allows you to mute some specific chats or mute the entire app itself.
- You can join or leave any group whenever you want.
- It allows you to send memes and URL links with the option to search for the GIFs and send them as well.
- You can also use the GroupMe application on the web through any browser .
3. Textra SMS
Textra SMS group messaging Android application allows you to form groups with several people to use the exciting features listed below.
- You can schedule your personal or group messages (both SMS and MMS) and delay the sending period.
- It allows you to reply to the messages with a quick replay pop-up feature without having to open the app on your phone.
- You can block the contacts and shift them in the blocklist anytime you want.
- You can also compress images or videos before sending them to save time and internet data.
- Textra SMS is a high-quality customizable application with options to customize the theme, notifications, chats, app icons, colors, etc.
- You can get the latest Android, JoyPixels, iOS, and Twitter style emojis, including a skin tone named Diversity.
- You can also change text sizes and fonts to anything, as there is a total of 21 text sizes to choose from.
- Textra SMS is totally compatible with MightyText, Pushbullet, Android Auto (Car), and Android Wear. You can also experience the quick reply and better notifications features.
4. Handcent Next SMS
With Handcent Next SMS, you can send receive any kind of MMS message. Some of the fascinating features of this group messaging Android app are mentioned below:
- You can use MMS plus to send full-size multimedia to anyone. It also helps to download Android multimedia text messages and save them on the cloud.
- It allows you to customize the MMS messages, text fonts, colors, stickers, vibration patterns, etc.
- You can reply quickly through a popup window without opening the app.
- It also provides you with a private message box in which you can store and protect your important private messages with a unique passcode.
- You can back up the app settings and messages without losing anything while switching devices.
- You can easily search the messages by time, contacts, and message types.
- Handcent Next SMS app is a cross-platform application that allows the users to use the app on Windows, Linus, iOS, macOS, Android, tablets, tablets, etc.
Also Read: How to Set Text Message Ringtone on Android
5. Signal Private Messenger
Signal Private Messenger is a state-of-the-art secured messaging application for avid text messaging enthusiasts who want to have the safest and quick communications.
- Powered by open-source Signal Protocol, Signal is the best application in terms of end-to-end encryption, enhancing user privacy to the next level.
- There are no ads and no trackers on this application as it is a fully independent 501c3 non-profit app.
- You can send messages effortlessly even when there is a slow network or instability.
- It allows you to use your existing phone numbers to communicate with people anywhere in the world.
- You can use in-built image editing features like crop, flip, sketch, etc. You can also use the text tool to augment the conversation experience.
- You can use this application in the dark mode any time you wish.
- Fix Can’t Install Cumulative Update KB5008212 in Windows 10
- Fix YouTube Videos Not Playing on Android
- 35 Best Google Chrome Flags for Android
- 20 Best High Speed Charger for Android
This way, you can use group messaging Android with the help of the listed apps. Group messaging is a useful feature to keep communications going to build and maintain various relationships. We hope you understood the MMS group messaging with some of the best apps to use. You can share your group messaging experience in the comments section below with any of the apps mentioned earlier.