All of your audio devices and the many apps you’ve installed have superb audio control in Windows 10. Are you wondering how to mute apps on Windows 10? Then, this article will help you. You may select a separate level for your headphones, and Windows 10 will automatically change it when you connect them. Similarly, you may use the volume mixer to adjust the loudness of specific apps.
How to Mute an App on Windows 10
There is a simple technique to regulate the volume of many apps running simultaneously on your PC or laptop. The volume mixer will keep track of the volume level you’ve selected for each app. On Windows 10, you may utilize it to silence a program permanently. Here’s a rundown of all the methods you can use to know how to mute an app.
Method 1: Through System Tray
Follow the below steps on how to mute an app on Windows 10.
1. Press the Windows key, type the app name (e.g. Spotify) you want to mute, and hit the Enter key to open it.
2. Now, right-click on the speaker icon in the Taskbar.
3. Select the Open Volume mixer option.
Note: If the program can play audio, it will appear in the volume mixer if you run it yourself. If the app doesn’t appear, try playing something in it so that it can emit sound.
4. Click on the speaker icon under the slider for the app you wish to permanently silence.
This option will be remembered by Windows 10. When you relaunch the same app, you’ll notice that the volume is still muted in the volume mixer. You’ll have to remember to mute the app whenever you need it to play sound.
Method 2: Through Sound Settings
The next method is how to mute apps on Windows 10 is by modifying them through the Sound Settings. Follow the below steps.
1. Press Windows + I keys simultaneously to open Settings.
2. Click on System.
3. Click on Sound in the left pane.
4. Scroll down and click on App volume and device preferences.
5. Slide the bar to 0 to mute for a specific app.
Note: If the app doesn’t appear, try playing something in it so that it can emit sound.
Method 3: Mute Different Audio Source
These options are particular to the sound device. When using your speakers, you can mute the volume for a specific app, but if you want to mute it when you’ve attached a different audio source, you’ll have to do it individually.
1. Connect the other audio device to your Windows 10 computer.
2. Open the program you wish to mute.
3. Launch the Volume Mixer and mute the app volume as done in Method 1.
Repeat these for each audio device you’re using.
Method 4: Mute Browser Tabs
Sometimes, you might want to disable the volume for a specific tab but not the browser. You can do so by following the below steps to mute specific tabs in Chrome.
1. Press the Windows key, type Chrome and click on Open.
2. Open the site or the tab you want to mute.
3. Right-click on the tab at the top of the screen.
4. Select the Mute site option.
Also Read: Fix Windows 10 Audio Crackling
Method 5: Use Third-Party Software
Apart from the default settings on your device, you can also install third-party software to adjust or mute apps on Windows 10. A few of them are:
1. Microsoft EarTrumpet
Microsoft EarTrumpet is powered by Microsoft and is one of the best alternatives to default settings on your device.
2. Nirsoft SoundVolumeView
Nirsoft SoundVolumeView is another minimalist tool that helps you create shortcuts and adjust the volume or mute apps on your PC.
MultiTimer app is another special app since it allows you to mute Windows 10 (not a specific app) for a duration of time. In other words, you won’t receive any notifications or any autoplay sounds during the specified time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What’s the deal with my microphone not working?
Ans: Check the sound settings on your device to discover whether your call or media is muted or quiet. If this is the case, boost your smartphone calls and media volume. Dirt particles can quickly accumulate and obscure the microphone on your smartphone.
- Fix Stuck on Diagnosing your PC in Windows 10
- How to Unmute a Story on Instagram
- Fix Windows 10 Audio Error 0xc00d4e86
- 29 Best MP4 Compressor for Windows
We hope you found this information useful and that you were able to resolve how to mute an app on Windows 10. Please let us know which technique was the most beneficial for you. Please use the form below if you have any queries or comments. Also, let us know what you want to learn next.