Modding has always been fun when it comes to having a better gaming experience in playing on Fallout 3 game. However, the method to install Fallout 3 mods has always been an issue of complexity for the Gamers. How about installing a pre-developed mod that is not only useful but also trusted? Owing to the complexity of the Fallout 3 game, you can install any of the Fallout 3 companion mods to have a companion to battle around. In contrast, you can use this article to install any of the pre-developed Fallout 3 body mods. Another interesting aspect is you can integrate the higher version of the Fallout game, that is, a Fallout 4 mod in the Fallout 3 game. One of the features is that you can modify the look of the game by installing Fallout 4 UI mods.
Table of Contents
How to Install Fallout 3 Mods on Windows 10
Before installing the Fallout 3 mods, you should ensure that the basic mods and software tools required are installed to make sure the mods can be installed and used. Below we have listed the basic and additional software tools that may be required to install the mods.
Basic Software Tools
The Basic software tools to install the various type of mods are discussed in the section.
1. Data Compression Utility
The first and foremost prerequisite software is to have any Data Compression utility software.
- The data compression utility software is used to extract the files of the downloaded mod.
- Any Data compression utility software like WINRAR is required to unzip the files in the downloaded mod files.
- You can use the link given here to download the WinRAR software on your web browser.
2. Mod Manager
The Mod Manager is used to install and remove the Fallout 3 mods on your PC.
- You can install the Fallout Mod Manager to manage mods of the Fallout 3 game.
- As an alternative, you can install the Nexus Mod Manager to manage the Fallout 3 mods.
- You can use the link to download the Fallout Mod Manager on the default web browser and click on the MANUAL button to install the FOMM.
3. FOSE or Fallout Script Extender
To install Fallout 3 mods, you need to have the Fallout Script Extender mod installed to make sure the mods work perfectly.
- For additional scripting of the mod files to work, it is necessary to install the FOSE mod.
- It allows the mods to run more detailed scripts and Algorithms.
- The script extender, however, will not alter the core files of the game.
- Use the link to download the Fallout Script Extender mod on the default web browser and click on the Download button to install the FOSE.
Also Read: Fix Fallout 3 Ordinal 43 Not Found Error
Additional Software Tools
The additional tools to make sure that the Fallout 3 mods you install work perfectly are described below in this section.
The FO3Edit is a software tool that detects the conflict between the mods installed on your PC.
- This additional tool is also used to edit the mods of the game. Hence, you can edit Fallout 3 body mods you have installed on your game.
- Use the link given here to access the FO3Edit mod and click on the MANUAL button to install the mod.
2. Sorting Load
The numerous Fallout 3 mods installed on your PC may cause an issue with using the mods at the same time. You can use any of the mods in the section to sort the load of the mods on the Fallout 3 game.
2A. FOMS or Fallout Mod Sorter
The Fallout Mod Sorter is the best sorting software that can help in loading the mods of the Fallout 3 game in order.
- In other words, the software helps in loading the mods in order of the load taken by each mod. Hence, after you install Fallout 3 mods, you can easily use the tool to sort the load of the mods.
- Use the link to get the FOMS in the Nexus Mod Community and click on the MANUAL button to install the software.
2B. BOSS for FO3 or Better Oblivion Sorting Software
The Better Oblivion Sorting Software is an additional tool that helps in sorting the load of the mods automatically.
- The BOSS mod will help in sorting the mods, such as Fallout 3 companion mods, on a necessity basis and will allocate the mods to work as per the demand.
- Use to link given here to access the BOSS tool and click on the Download BOSS on GitHub button to install the tool.
2C. LOOT or Load Order Optimisation Tool
The Load Order Optimisation Tool is an updated version of the BOSS software for sorting the mods.
- You can use the link to open the LOOT Menu mod and click on the MANUAL button to install the mod.
3. Games for Windows LIVE
Games for Windows Live is a software that helps in installing the games on your PC. However, the software may conflict with the Fallout 3 mods on your PC.
- The mod disables the GfWL or Game for Windows Live program running in the background.
- Additionally, the mod helps in moving the DLCs of each mod to the Fallout 3 game folder. Hence, the errors with the improper installation of the files can be neglected.
4. FOIC or Fallout Installation Cleaner
To install Fallout 3 mods, it is required to have a problem-free interface.
- The Fallout Installation Cleaner is a software that helps in clearing all the third-party tools in the Fallout 3 game and removes problematic mods.
- This can be used if you are trying to clean install or reinstall the Fallout 3 mods.
5. ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated
The files of the mod can be misplaced in any other location in Windows Explorer.
- To fix the issue, you need to install the ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated mod to allow the files of the mods to be placed in the Data folder.
- Use the link provided to access the ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated mod and click on the MANUAL button to install the mod.
- Alternatively, you can use the mods like Body Replacer, Weapon Mod Kits, Armor Mods, etc. This software can also be used on the Fallout 4 UI mods.
Methods to Install Fallout Mods
The two major options to install the Fallout 3 mods on your PC are explained in this section.
Option I: Using Fallout Mod Manager
The method to install the mods using the Fallout Mod Manager is discussed in this section.
1. Launch the Fallout Mod Manager from the Windows Search bar.
2. Open the Package Manager by clicking on the button at the right pane of the window.
3. Click on the Add FOMod button in the next window.
4. Browse for the mod folder on the file browser and select the specific mod you would like to install.
Note: The mod is activated on the game if there is a tick on the box next to the mod.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions on the installation wizard to install Fallout 3 body mods.
Option II: Using NEXUSMODS Community
The regular method to directly install the Fallout 3 mods from the official Nexus Mod Community is described in the section.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Google Chrome and click on Open.
2. Open the official website of the NEXUSMODS and click on the LOG IN button at the top-right corner of the home page.
3. Sign in to your account in the community using your account credentials.
4. Use the search bar at the top-right corner of the page to search for the FOSE mod.
Note: Here, the FOSE mod is used to explain the method to install Fallout 3 mods.
5. Click on the MANUAL download button on the page to download the mod.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions on the installation wizard to install the mod.
Note: The installation wizard may be similar irrespective of the type of mod you are installing, be it Fallout 3 body mods or Fallout 3 companion mods.
7. Use the data compression utility to extract the files of the Mod downloaded.
8. Select all the plugins and folders of the mod and press the Ctrl+ X keys to cut the content.
Note: Make sure to select the *.esp (Elder Scrolls Plugin), *.esm (Elder Scroll Master), and *.bsa (Bethesda Softworks Archive- user-created mods) files in the folders.
9. Open File Explorer by pressing the Windows + E keys simultaneously, navigate to the data directory and press the Ctrl + V keys together to paste the files into the location.
9A. For DVD versions, navigate to the location This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files > Bethesda Softworks > Fallout 3 > Data.
9B. For Steam versions, navigate to the location This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Steam > steamapps > Common > Fallout 3 > Data.
Note: Alternatively, you can save the files in the location This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > Fallout 3 goty.
Also Read: Fix Fallout 4 Mods Not Working
Pro Tip: How to Make Mods Work
Succeeding the install Fallout 3 mods step is to make sure the mods installed work perfectly. You can use the three options discussed in the section to ensure that the mods work perfectly.
Option I: Validate Mod Files
The ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated mod is used to make sure that the mod files are downloaded to the Data folder perfectly. The steps given below will advise on the method to validate the mod files on your PC.
1. Open the ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated tool and extract the content using the Data compression Utility software.
2. Click on the Activate button on the activation wizard.
Option II: Modify File in FOMM
The files of the mods downloaded using the Fallout Mod Manager may be configured incorrectly. You can alter the value of the invalidation entry to fix the issue.
1. Launch the File Explorer by hitting the Windows + E keys simultaneously and navigate to the location path.
C:\Users\Lenov0\Documents\My Games\Fallout 3
Note: Open the user account folder in place of the Lenov0 folder in the given path.
2. Right-click on the Fallout.ini file, move your cursor to the Open with option, and click on the Notepad option in the adjacent menu.
3. Alter the bInvalidateOlderFiles entry from 0 to 1 in the file.
4. Press the Ctrl + S keys together to save the FOMM file.
Option III: Verify G.E.C.K. Mods using FOMM
While you install Fallout 3 mods, you may have noticed that the files of the mod contain numerous files. There are three types of files of the Fallout 3 mods, namely, *.esp (Elder Scrolls Plugin), *.esm (Elder Scroll Master), and *.bsa (Bethesda Softworks Archive- user created mods). The *.esp files may be corrupt and you can check the integrity of the files using the Fallout Mod Manager.
1. Open the Fallout Mod Manager.
2. Check all the *.esp files or the G.E.C.K. Mods using the FOMM.
- How Much Is It to Cancel Planet Fitness
- Fix Star Citizen Installer Error on Windows 10
- The Ultimate Fallout 3 Crash Guide on Windows 10
- Fix Fallout 4 Stuttering on Windows 10
The prime objective of the article is to explain the method to install Fallout 3 mods. You can use the article to install the various types of mods, like Fallout 3 body mods or Fallout 3 companion mods. Please use the comments section to leave your suggestions and queries on the topic.