The Fallout Error: The Ordinal 43 Could not be Located or Not Found problem usually occurs when you update or install a new version of your Windows operating system. This happens more frequently when the Games for Windows Live program is not correctly installed and/or downloaded to your computer. Although Fallout was once a popular game, it has largely become outdated. Yet, some users remain true lovers of this game. If you are one of these and facing this problem, then read this guide to Fix Fallout 3 Ordinal 43 Not Found error on Windows 10 PC.
How to Fix Fallout 3 Ordinal 43 Not Found Error?
Many reasons cause Fallout Error: The Ordinal 43 Could not be Located or Not Found issue in your system, such as:
- Games for Windows Live is not Installed: As mentioned earlier when the Games for Windows Live is not installed and downloaded in your system, there are higher chances that you might encounter Fallout Error: The Ordinal 43 Could not be Located or Not Found issue. You need this since the game was programmed in such a way that all the functionalities will be active only if the Games for Windows Live program files are installed.
- The DLL Files are Corrupt or Missing: If your system has any corrupt or missing DLL files (say xlive.dll), you will encounter Fallout Error: The Ordinal 43 Could not be Located or Not Found.
- New Incompatible Drivers: Sometimes, you might face the Fallout error if the new drivers you have installed or updated in your system are incompatible with the game.
- New Versions of Windows: We all know that Fallout 3 was launched in the year 2008. Therefore, it has been a very long time since the game was released. Sometimes, it becomes incompatible for the game to adapt to the newer versions of the Operating System.
Listed below are a few effective methods to fix Fallout 3 Ordinal 43 Not Found error.
Method 1: Install Games for Windows Live
This game is ancient, and thus, many users do not have Games for Windows Live software installed in their system. Windows 10 does not support the software, but you actually require the program for the .dll file. Here’s how to fix Fallout 3 Ordinal 43 Not Found error:
1. Download and install Games for Windows Live software on your Windows computer.
2. Double-click on the downloaded file i.e. gfwlivesetup.exe as shown.
3. Now, wait for few seconds till the system retrieves information about the game and finishes the installation.
4. You don’t need to run the tool as xlive.dll file will be available in your system now.
Note: In this step, you may encounter an installation failure displaying, A network error occurred while attempting to get information from the server. Check your network connection and retry. If you do, then visit the log files to know the reasons behind the error and click on Support to attain possible solutions. Refer given pic for clarity.
Finally, launch the game and check if the Fallout Error: The Ordinal 43 Could not be Located or Not Found is fixed now.
Also Read: Fix Windows Live Mail won’t start
Method 2: Download DLL File
If installing the Games for Windows Live program didn’t work, then download the corresponding DLL file and place it in the installation folder of the game, as instructed below:
1. Click here to search and download .dll files in various sizes.
Note: We suggest that you download the version 18.104.22.168 file in your system, as shown.
2. Click on the Download button and wait a few seconds.
3. Now, navigate to the Downloads folder and double-click on the xlive zip file to extract its contents.
4. Right-click on the xlive.dill file and select Copy, as illustrated.
5. Next paste the copied file to the installation folder of the game.
Option 1: If you installed Fallout 3 through Steam
1. Launch Steam and navigate to LIBRARY.
2. Now, click on HOME and search for Fallout 3 here.
3. Right-click on the Fallout 3 game and select the Properties… option.
4. Now, navigate to the LOCAL FILES tab and click on the Browse… option to search for local files on your computer.
5. Paste the xlive.dll file into the installation folder.
Note: The default location for all the Steam game files is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
Option 2: If you installed it using a DVD
1. Go to the Search menu and type Fallout 3.
2. Now, right-click on the search result and click on Open File Location, as shown.
3. Now, the installation folder opens on the screen. Right-click anywhere on the screen and paste the xlive.dll file you have copied in Step 4 of the method.
Now, run the game and check if this could fix Fallout Error: The Ordinal 43 Could not be Located or Not Found. If not, try the next fix.
Method 3: Run the Game in Compatibility Mode
Few users suggested that when you run the game with administrative privileges, the Fallout Error: The Ordinal 43 Could not be Located or Not Found issue on Windows 10 was resolved. So, follow the below-mentioned steps to implement the same:
1. Right-click on the Fallout 3 shortcut on the desktop and click on Properties.
2. In the Properties window, switch to the Compatibility tab.
3. Now, check the box marked Run this program as an administrator.
4. Finally, click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
Also Read: How to Add Perk Points in Fallout 4
Method 4: Update/Reinstall your Drivers
In order to fix Fallout 3 Ordinal 43 Not Found error, try updating the drivers to the latest version. If the error persists, you can also try to re-install the video card driver.
Method 4A: Update Drivers
1. Hit the Windows key and type Device Manager in the search bar. Now, open Device Manager from your search results, as shown.
2. Here, double-click on Display adapters to expand it.
3. Now, right-click on your video card driver and click on Update driver, as depicted below.
4. Here, click on Search automatically for drivers to locate and install updated drivers.
5. The drivers will be updated to the latest version if they are not updated. Or else, the following message will be displayed.
Method 4B: Reinstall Drivers
1. Launch Device Manager and expand Display adapters as earlier.
2. Now, right-click on the video card driver and select Uninstall device, as highlighted.
3. Now, a warning prompt will be displayed on the screen. Check the box Delete the driver software for this device and confirm the same by clicking on Uninstall.
5. Then, follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver and run the executable.
Note: While installing a new video card driver, your system may reboot several times.
Also Read: Fix Fallout 4 Mods Not Working
Method 5: Perform System Restore
You could encounter Fallout Error: The Ordinal 43 Could not be Located or Not Found issue after a Windows update. In this case, perform a system restore if the game is too old to be compatible with the latest versions of Windows.
1. Press Windows + R keys to open Run dialog box.
2. Then, type msconfig and hit Enter to open System Configuration.
3. Switch to the second tab i.e. Boot tab.
4. Here, check Safe boot box under Boot options and click on OK, as depicted.
5. Confirm your choice by clicking on either Restart or Exit without restart in the displayed prompt. Your system will now boot in Safe Mode.
6. Next, launch Command Prompt by searching cmd in the Windows search bar.
7. Click Run as administrator, as shown.
8. Type rstrui.exe and hit Enter.
9. The System Restore window will appear. Here, click on Next, as depicted.
10. Finally, confirm the restore point by clicking on the Finish button.
The system will be restored to the previous state where Fallout Error: The Ordinal 43 Could not be Located or Not Found doesn’t appear anymore. In case the issue still persists, try the succeeding solutions to fix Fallout 3 Ordinal 43 Not Found error.
Method 6: Reinstall Steam
Any common glitches associated with a software program can be resolved when you uninstall the application entirely from your system and reinstall it again. Here is how to implement the same.
1. Go to the Start menu and type Apps. Now, click on the first option, Apps & features.
2. Type and search Steam in the list and select it.
3. Finally, click on Uninstall, as shown below.
4. If the program has been deleted from the system, you can confirm by searching it again. You will receive a message, We couldn’t find anything to show here. Double-check your search criteria.
5. Download and install Steam on your system.
6. Go to My downloads and double-click on SteamSetup to open it.
7. Here, click on the Next button until you see the Install location on the screen.
> Next button “>
8. Now, choose the destination folder by using the Browse… option and click on Install.
9. Wait for the installation to be completed and click on Finish, as depicted.
10. Wait for a while until all the packages in Steam are installed in your system.
Now, you have successfully reinstalled Steam on your system. Download Fallout 3 and check if the issue is fixed now.
- How to Run Fallout 3 on Windows 10?
- Fix Minecraft Error Failed to Write Core Dump
- How to Open Steam Games in Windowed Mode
- Fix Fallout 4 Mods Not Working
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could fix Fallout 3 Ordinal 43 Not Found Error on your Windows 10 laptop/desktop. Let us know which method worked the best. Also, if you have any queries or suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.