Discord is a famous chatting media loved by millions of gamers. Yet, sometimes you may face a Discord camera not working problem when using your device camera for a video call. A black or green screen pops up on the screen, and even sometimes, you may face a blank image with a never-ending loading screen. This issue gets reported by both in-built (internal) and webcam (external) cameras. This problem is not always hardware-related either. Follow the below-discussed troubleshooting guide to resolve this issue on your device comprehensively.
How to Fix Discord Camera Not Working on Windows 10
If you use an external camera, ensure the USB port is plugged-in correctly. Also, confirming the status of the inbuilt camera on your laptop will save you time from going over every troubleshooting process mentioned further in this article. Some other reasons for this problem to arise on your system are:
- An unstable internet connection may lead to the Discord or Skype camera not working issue on your device. Run a Speedtest on your device to know the exact status of internet connectivity.
- If Discord server maintenance is underway, users commonly face this issue for some time. Visit the Discord status website to ensure the same.
- Outdated webcam drivers can disrupt the fluidity of camera performance with the Discord app on your system.
- Disabled camera access to the Discord app will have this issue stay on your system until you perform any action.
- If you are using an operating system with an outdated version, you may face this issue on your device.
You will further see the other reasons with comprehensive solutions for this Discord webcam green screen issue. Read and follow the mentioned steps carefully to implement the given fixes.
Method 1: Exit Background Programs
If you encounter a Discord webcam green screen on your device, your camera might be used by some other applications. There may be plenty of applications running in the background that increases the CPU and memory space, thereby affecting the performance of the system. Follow the below-mentioned steps to close the background tasks.
1. Press Windows + X keys together to launch Windows Power User Menu. Select Task Manager as shown.
2. In the Task Manager window, click on the Processes tab.
3. Now, search and select the unnecessary running tasks in the background and select End task
4. Similarly, make sure no other Programs are using Camera, for example, Zoom. Click on it & End task button as depicted below.
5. Finally, Restart your PC to implement the changes.
Also Read: How to Fix Discord Keeps Freezing
Method 2: Run Discord as an Administrator
You need administrative privileges to access a few files and services in Discord. If you do not have the required administrative rights, you might face a Discord camera not working issue. However, few users have suggested that the problem can be resolved when running the program as an administrator.
1. Right-click on the Discord shortcut on your desktop to open the Context menu.
Note: Or navigate to the Discord installation directory in the File Explorer and right-click on it.
2. Now, click on the Properties option.
3. In the Properties window, switch to the Compatibility tab.
4. Now, check the Run this program as an administrator box.
Note: You can also check the box marked Run this program in compatibility mode for previous Windows versions.
5. Finally, click on Apply and OK to save the changes. Now, relaunch Discord to see the issue fixed.
Method 3: Allow Camera Access to Discord
Your system will have a list of applications and programs that are allowed for audio and camera access. If in case, Discord is not on this list, you cannot access the camera while using the app. Therefore, ensure the camera settings are enabled for Discord on your PC by following the below-mentioned steps.
1. Press Windows + I keys together to launch Windows Settings.
2. Now, click on Privacy as depicted below.
3. Here, scroll down the left pane and click the Camera option. Ensure Allow apps to access your camera option is enabled as shown.
4. Scroll down the right pane section and make sure the Discord app is toggled on under Choose which apps can access your camera option.
Also Read: How to Delete Discord
Method 4: Update Windows OS
If you did not obtain any fix using the above methods, then there are few chances that you might have bugs in your system. Installing new updates will help you to fix the bugs in your system. Hence, always ensure that you are using your system in its updated version. Otherwise, the files in the system will not be compatible with the Discord files leading to the Discord camera not working problem. Follow the below-mentioned steps to update Windows operating system:
1. Press the Windows + I keys together to open Settings.
2. Now, click on the Update & Security option.
3. Now, select Check for Updates from the right panel.
4A. Click Install now to download the latest update available. Restart your PC to install it.
4B. If your system is already up-to-date, then it will show You’re up to date message.
Method 5: Update Camera Drivers
Old and outdated camera drivers can be the culprit behind the Discord camera not working issue. If the current drivers in your system are incompatible/outdated with the Discord files, then you will face the Discord webcam green screen. But thankfully the fix is pretty simple and straightforward.
Note: As an example, we have used an HP TrueVision HD camera driver for illustrating the steps below.
1. Type Device Manager in the Start Search menu and press Enter on your keyboard to launch it.
2. You will see the Cameras menu on the main panel; double click on it to expand it.
3. Right-click on HP TrueVision HD and click Update driver.
4A. Click on Search automatically for drivers to allow your computer to go online and search for available compatible drivers.
4B. Or, choose the Browse my computer for drivers option to select the folder containing camera drivers on your device. Then proceed to install them manually.
5A. After the installation process, the drivers will be updated to the latest version. Restart your PC to implement the update.
5B. If they are already in an updated stage, the screen displays the following message: The best drivers for your device are already installed. Click on Close to exit the window.
Also Read: How to Go Live on Discord
Method 6: Reinstall Camera Drivers
If updating drivers does not give you a fix, you can uninstall the drivers and install them again. To do that, follow the below-mentioned steps:
1. Launch the Device Manager using the steps mentioned above and expand Cameras by double-clicking on it.
2. Now, right-click on the HP TrueVision HD and select Uninstall device from the context menu.
3. Click on Uninstall for this prompt message: Warning: You are about to uninstall this device from your system.
4. Lastly, Restart your device. The camera drivers will automatically be installed by Windows and the issue should be fixed.
Method 7: Update Discord App
If you face a Discord webcam green screen issue, there is a chance that the recent update is incompatible with the application, and a new update has been released to fix the problem. So, install and download the latest update to fix the problem as follows:
1. Press the Windows Key and type %LocalAppData% to launch Local AppData folder.
2. Double-click on the Discord folder to open it.
3. Now run the Update application and wait for the process to be completed.
4. Lastly, relaunch Discord and check if you have fixed the issue.
Method 8: Try Discord PTB Version
Discord PTB or Public Test Build can be used for the desktop version of the app. It contains some fixes for bugs and features that are not included in the full version of Discord.
Note: Interestingly, you can use both the PTB version and the normal version of Discord simultaneously on your system.
You can download and use Discord PTB as instructed below:
1. Download the Discord PTB version on your Windows PC.
Note: Read about different testing versions of Discord here.
2. Save DiscordPTBSetup.exe file as shown.
3. After downloading, follow the on-screen instructions to install the file and use the PTB version of Discord instead
Method 9: Delete Discord AppData
Temporary and corrupt Discord files could cause problems in the camera settings. Also, improper account settings in Discord lead to the Discord webcam green issue. Read and follow the forthcoming steps to clear all Discord AppData:
1. Exit from Discord and click the Windows Search box and type %appdata% to open AppData Roaming folder.
2. Right-click on discord folder and select the Delete option to remove it, as shown.
3. Again, click on the Windows Search box again and type %LocalAppData% to open AppData Local folder.
4. Right-click the Discord folder and Delete it as earlier.
5. Finally, Restart your Windows 10 PC & relaunch Discord.
Also Read: How to Join a Team in Pokemon Go
Method 10: Use Discord Web Version Instead
If you did not attain any fix by using the PTB version of Discord, use the web version of Discord. Luckily, you may fix the Discord webcam green screen. Here is how to do it:
1. Open your preferred browser and launch the Discord website.
2. Login with your credentials and start video streaming or make a video call.
Method 11: Turn Off Hardware Acceleration (If applicable)
Turning off the hardware acceleration feature will help you fix the Discord camera not working issue.
1. Launch the Discord application and click on the cog-wheel icon to open Settings.
2. Scroll down to the APP SETTINGS tab and click on the Advanced option as shown below.
3. Now, turn off the Hardware Acceleration option using the switch toggle. and click on Okay in the confirmation prompt.
4. Click on Okay in the confirmation prompt.
Method 12: Reinstall Discord
If none of the methods has helped you, then try to reinstall the software if possible. All the settings and configurational setup will be refreshed when you reinstall Discord, and hence there are more chances that you will attain a fix for your problem.
1. Launch the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows + R keys together.
2. Type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
3. The Programs and Features utility will open on the screen. Now search for Discord.
4. Now, select Discord from the list and click the Uninstall option.
5. Now, click Yes when this message prompts on the screen: Are you sure want to uninstall Discord?
6. Restart your PC once you have completed all the steps mentioned above.
7. Navigate to Discord download page and click on the Download for Windows option as depicted below.
8. Now, navigate to My downloads in the File Explorer and launch the DiscordSetup file.
9. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Discord re-installation on your device.
Also Read: Discord Commands List
Method 13: Contact Discord Support
Still, if you face the Discord camera not working problem, then drop a message to the Discord support team. Your problem will be analyzed by the talent team and corresponding solutions will be demonstrated to you.
- Fix The Handle is Invalid Error in Windows 10
- How to Use Push to Talk on Discord
- Fix Discord Keeps Crashing
- Fix Discord Not Detecting Mic
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could fix Discord camera not working on your Windows 10 PC. Let us know which method worked for you the best. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.