Discord is an application primarily developed for gamers to communicate with each other during their games. The VoIP service in Discord is used by almost all players nowadays, but many users complain that the Discord freezes. If you are also facing Discord video keeps freezing problem in your PC then, do not worry. We bring to you a perfect guide that will teach you how to fix Discord keeps crashing issue. So, continue reading!
- How to Fix Discord Keeps Crashing
- Preliminary Checks
- Method 1: Reboot PC
- Method 2: Run Discord as an Administrator
- Method 3: Remove Background Processes
- Method 4: Delete Discord Cache Files
- Method 5: Turn Off Compatibility Mode
- Method 6: Turn Off Hardware Acceleration
- Method 7: Disable Push to Talk Feature
- Method 8: Turn Off Advanced Voice Activity
- Method 9: Disable Quality of Service High Packet Priority
- Method 10: Delete Keybinds
- Method 11: Enable Legacy Mode
- Method 12: Repair System Files
- Method 13: Update or Rollback Display Drivers
- Method 14: Update Windows
- Method 15: Update Discord
- Method 16: Reinstall Discord
- Method 17: Contact Discord Support
How to Fix Discord Keeps Crashing
When you play a game and use Discord to communicate with your friends and suddenly Discord keeps crashing, then you will be annoyed. This problem may also arise even when you stream and Discord video keeps freezing. There may be various reasons for this problem. Below are some root causes of this issue.
- Update issues
- Corrupt cache files
- Outdated drivers
- Storage issues
- Misconfigured settings
- Corrupt system files
- Outdated Discord version
The most common solution to Discord keeps crashing problem is to force shut down the application via Task Manager. However, if the issue persists after you reopen Discord again then, we have given all the possible methods to fix the issue below. So, follow these methods step by step and solve the problem.
Perform the given preliminary checks before trying the troubleshooting methods.
- Check your internet: You may need stable network connectivity, especially if you live to stream your video. Ensure your internet connectivity by running a speed test. Before running a speed test, pause all the updates, downloads in progress, and disconnect other devices. You can use SpeakEasy or SpeedTest.net to run a speed test.
- Check for Server Outage: When something goes wrong in Discord, you first have to analyze if there is any server-side issue. Follow the steps to check the server status in Discord.
1. Go to the Discord Status page.
2. Verify if you have the All Systems Operational message in the main window as depicted. This means there are no server maintenance or configuration activities from Discord.
Method 1: Reboot PC
Restarting your PC is a simple troubleshooting method to resolve all the technical glitches. So, before going to the advanced troubleshooting methods, follow these steps to reboot your PC to fix Discord keeps crashing issue.
1. Navigate to the Start menu.
2. Now, select the power icon.
Note: In Windows 10, the Power icon is found at the bottom. Whereas in Windows 8, the Power icon is located at the top.
3. Several options like Sleep, Shut down, and Restart will be displayed. Here, click on Restart.
Method 2: Run Discord as an Administrator
You need administrative privileges to access a few files and services in Discord. If you do not have the required administrative rights, you might face Discord keeps crashing issue. Here are the steps to run Discord as administrator.
1. Click Show hidden icons in the Taskbar.
2. Here, right-click on the Discord icon.
3. Select the Quit Discord option.
4. Then press the Windows key, type discord, and click on Run as administrator.
Method 3: Remove Background Processes
If you face Discord keeps crashing issue, then plenty of applications may run in the background. This will increase the CPU and memory space, thereby affecting the performance of the PC. Follow the below-mentioned steps to close the background tasks.
1. Launch Task Manager, press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys at the same time.
2. Locate and select the unwanted background processes using high Memory.
3. Then, click End task, as shown highlighted.
Also Read: Fix Discord Go Live Not Appearing
Method 4: Delete Discord Cache Files
Temporary and corrupt Discord cache files could cause Discord keeps crashing problems. So clear all the Discord files in Cache and Local Storage folders to fix the issue. Follow these steps to do so.
1. Click on Start, type %AppData%\discord, and hit the Enter key.
2. Right-click on the Cache folder and select Delete.
3. Similarly, delete the Local Storage folder.
4. Finally, restart the system.
Now, you have successfully deleted corrupt cache files of Discord from your PC. Check if Discord keeps crashing issue persists or not.
Method 5: Turn Off Compatibility Mode
If Discord is made to run in compatibility mode, then you might face Discord video keeps freezing issue. This is because the program will run on older versions of the software. So, to ensure that Discord runs smoothly in your latest Windows OS turn Off compatibility mode from the given steps.
1. Go to the file location of Discord in File Explorer.
2. Then, right-click on the Discord app and choose Properties, as depicted below.
3. Switch to the Compatibility tab.
4. Uncheck the Run this program in compatibility mode for option.
5. Click Apply and then OK to save these changes.
Also Read: Fix Discord Notifications Not Working
Method 6: Turn Off Hardware Acceleration
Turning off the hardware acceleration feature would help you to fix Discord keeps crashing issue. Follow the below-mentioned steps to do so.
1. Press Windows Key and type Discord, click on Open.
2. Click on the Settings icon in the left pane.
3. Go to the Advanced tab and switch Off the toggle for Hardware acceleration, as depicted below.
4. Click Okay in the Change Hardware Acceleration window.
Method 7: Disable Push to Talk Feature
You can also disable the push to talk feature to fix Discord video keeps freezing issue by following the given steps.
1. Press Windows + Q keys together to open Windows Search bar.
2. Type Discord and click Open in the right pane.
3. Click the Gear symbol at the bottom on the left pane to open Settings, as shown.
4. Under the APP SETTINGS section in the left pane, click the Voice & Video tab.
5. Here, switch from Push to Talk feature to Voice Activity under INPUT MODE as shown.
Now, check if you have fixed the issue.
Also Read: How to Use Push to Talk on Discord
Method 8: Turn Off Advanced Voice Activity
The old and default settings will not work correctly when a feature Advanced Voice Activity is enabled in Discord. Try disabling this feature to fix Discord keeps crashing issue as instructed below.
1. Launch Discord and go to User Settings > Voice & Video menu.
2. Now, scroll down to the Advanced Voice Activity option and switch Off the toggle.
Note: If the option to turn off Advanced Voice Activity is greyed out then follow the given steps:
1. Scroll up the same pane, set the INPUT MODE to Voice Activity.
2. Then, turn On the toggle for the Automatically determine input sensitivity option.
Now, you can turn off Advanced Voice Activity as instructed above.
Method 9: Disable Quality of Service High Packet Priority
The Quality of Service High Packet Priority setting in Discord might interfere with some default settings of your PC. Hence, you may face Discord keeps crashing issue. To resolve it, disable the Quality of Service High Packet Priority setting in Discord by following the below-mentioned steps.
1. Open the Discord app and navigate to User Settings.
2. Now, in the left pane, click on Voice & Video under APP SETTINGS as shown.
3. Now, under the QUALITY OF SERVICE section, toggle off the Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority option as depicted.
Also Read: How to Delete Discord
Method 10: Delete Keybinds
You might have created a few keybinds for your convenience. These keybinds might have worked properly on the previous version but may led to a few issues afterwards. Follow the below instructions to delete keybinds to fix Discord video keeps freezing problem.
1. Launch the Discord app and click on Settings icon as shown.
2. Go to the Keybinds tab in the left pane.
3. Choose one. A list will emerge, with a red cross icon next to each keybind. Click the red cross symbol to remove the key bind, as illustrated below.
4. Repeat the same for each and restart your PC.
Method 11: Enable Legacy Mode
Sometimes, you may face Discord keeps crashing problem in the Standard mode. To resolve this issue, you can switch to the legacy mode by following the below steps.
1. Open Discord and go to User Settings > Voice & Video menu.
2. Scroll down to the AUDIO SUBSYSTEM section.
3. Here, select the Legacy option from the dropdown menu.
4. Click on the Okay button in the Change Audio Subsystem confirmation prompt.
Now, check if the issue is resolved.
Method 12: Repair System Files
Windows 10 users can automatically scan and repair their system files by running System File Checker. In addition, it is a built-in tool that lets the user delete files and fix Discord keeps crashing problem. Then, follow the below-mentioned steps to run SFC and DISM scans.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.
2. Click on Yes in the User Account Control prompt.
3. Type the command: sfc /scannow and press Enter key to run the System File Checker scan.
Note: A system scan will be initiated and it will take a couple of minutes to finish. Meanwhile, you can continue performing other activities but be mindful of not accidentally closing the window.
After completing the scan, it will show either of these messages:
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
4. Once the scan is finished, restart your PC.
5. Again, launch Command Prompt as administrator and execute the given commands one after the other:
dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /scanhealth dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /restorehealth dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
Note: You must have a working internet connection to execute DISM commands properly.
Also Read: Discord Commands List
Method 13: Update or Rollback Display Drivers
Outdated or incompatible display drivers may trigger Discord keeps crashing issues. Update or roll back video drivers to enable driver cards to be compatible with the Operating System from the steps given below.
Option 1: Update Driver
Update your display driver to fix Discord video keeps freezing issue by following the given steps.
1. Hit the Windows key, type device manager, and click on Open.
2. Click on the arrow next to Display adapters to expand it.
3. Right-click on your graphics driver (e.g. NVIDIA GeForce driver) and select Update driver, as shown.
4. Now, click on Search automatically for drivers to find and install drivers automatically.
5A. Wait for the drivers to be updated to the latest version. Then, Restart your PC.
5B. If they are already in an updated stage, the following screen displays with the message: The best drivers for your device are already installed. Click on the Close button to exit the window.
Option 2: RollBack Driver Updates
If Discord keeps crashing issue arises after an update then, try to roll back the driver updates to fix your Discord video keeps freezing issue as shown below.
1. Navigate to Device Manager > Display Adapters as shown in the above method.
2. Right-click on your display driver (e.g. NVIDIA GeForce driver) and select Properties, as illustrated below.
3. Switch to the Driver tab and click Roll Back Driver, as shown.
Note: If the option to Roll Back Driver is greyed out, then it indicates that your Windows PC does not have the pre-installed driver files or tit has never been updated. In this case, try alternative methods discussed in this article.
4. Provide a Reason for Why are you rolling back? in the Driver Package rollback window. Then, click the Yes button, shown highlighted.
5. Now, restart your system to make the rollback effective.
Method 14: Update Windows
Outdated Windows OS can also cause Discord keeps crashing problem. So, to optimize your OS try updating Windows as shown in the steps below.
1. Press Windows + I keys simultaneously to launch Settings.
2. Click on the Update & Security tile, as shown.
3. In the Windows Update tab, click on Check for updates button.
4A. If a new update is available, then click Install Now and follow the instructions to update.
4B. Otherwise, if the Windows is up-to-date, then it will show You’re up to date message.
Method 15: Update Discord
If you face Discord keeps crashing issue, your Discord app may be outdated. So, update your Discord app to fix the issues. Read our article on How to Update Discord.
Method 16: Reinstall Discord
If none of the methods have helped you, then try to reinstall Discord if possible. All the settings and configurational setup will be refreshed when you reinstall Discord, and hence there are more chances that you would attain a fix for Discord keeps crashing problem. Follow these steps to reinstall Discord.
1. Press Windows + I keys together to open Windows Settings.
2. Click on Apps from the given tiles
3. In the Apps & features tab, locate and click Discord. Then, click on Uninstall button.
4. Follow the directions displayed on the screen to complete the uninstallation.
5. Then, press Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Manager.
6. Navigate to the following path from the address bar.
7. Right-click on Discord and select the Delete option.
8. Now go to the Discord website and click on Download for Windows button.
9. Open the downloaded DiscordSetup.exe file and install the program.
10. It will automatically update itself every time you launch the app as well.
Method 17: Contact Discord Support
As a last resort to fix Discord video keeps freezing issue you should Submit a request to Discord Support. The support team will see and analyze your issue and provide the corresponding solutions.
- How to Create Desktop Shortcuts on Windows 11
- 15 Best Free Email Providers for Small Business
- Fix Discord Not Detecting Mic
- Fix Twitch Not Working on Chrome
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could fix Discord keeps crashing issue. Let us know which method worked for you the best. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.