Instagram is a popular social media platform that enables you to connect with new users through friend suggestions. However, it can be difficult to have your account recommended to others since you have limited control over this. Let’s find out if Instagram really does suggest accounts that look at your account and learn how to appear in someone’s suggestions.
Table of Contents
How to Appear on Someone’s Instagram Suggestions
Instagram utilizes a sophisticated machine learning algorithm to suggest accounts you may want to befriend or follow. The algorithm considers various factors, such as:
- Shared goals and interests
- Use of common hashtags in posts
- Your search history
- Mutual friends and followers
Therefore, Instagram may recommend accounts that have shown interest in your profile, but this isn’t the sole criterion for determining whom Instagram suggests to you.
So, you have no control over the recommendation algorithm of Instagram that makes you appear on someone’s suggestions. However, you can do a few things to boost your chances of appearing on the same.
Here is one of the effective methods to suggest an Instagram user to your profile:
1. Open the Instagram app and ensure you are logged in.
2. Tap the Search tab at the bottom.
3. Search for the desired Instagram user.
4. Tap their profile from the search results to visit it.
Option I: Enable Suggestion Feature
This is the first and most crucial step to getting your profile suggested to someone. You need to turn on the suggestion feature, in case it is turned off. Follow the steps given below to do so.
1. Visit the Instagram Log in page on your browser.
2. Enter your account credentials and click on Log in.
3. Click on your profile name from the top-right corner.
4. Click on Edit profile.
5. Mark the checkbox for Show account suggestions on profiles, as shown below.
6. Click on Submit.
Also Read: Does Instagram Randomly Follow Accounts?
Option II: Search and Visit Their Profile
Instagram utilizes your search history to determine which profiles to recommend as suggestions to you and whether to recommend you to others. So, it is true to some extent that Instagram does suggest accounts that look at your account. Therefore, if you wish to appear in someone’s suggested section, make a habit of searching for their profile on Instagram.
1. Open the Instagram application on your phone.
Note: Make sure you are logged into your Instagram account.
2. Tap on the Search tab from the bottom panel.
3. Search for the desired IG user you want to suggest to your profile.
4. Tap on the target profile from the search results to visit it.
Perform this method frequently as Instagram does suggest accounts that look at someone’s account using search history.
Option III: Add Them on Facebook as Friends
As Facebook and Instagram are both Meta platforms, there is a possibility of you getting recommended to someone on IG if you befriended them on FB.
Note: Make sure you are logged into your Facebook account.
2. Tap on the search bar and search for the desired FB profile you want to befriend.
3. Now, tap on Add Friend from their profile to add them as your friend and send them a friend request.
4. When they accept the send friend request, they may also see your IG profile suggested on their IG account.
Option IV: Save Their Contact on Your Phone
You can save their phone number in your phone and sync your contact list with your Instagram account. This way, their profile may be suggested on your account, and vice versa if they have saved your contact. Read and follow our guide on How to Find and View Contacts on Instagram to do so easily.
Option V: Follow Their Mutual Friends
Start following their mutual friends on Instagram. Things will be smoother if you receive a follow back from them. This way, Instagram will recommend your profile to their suggestions on the basis of the presence of mutual friends.
Note: It’s important to avoid appearing desperate during this process, as it can negatively impact your Instagram profile.
Option VI: Become Part of Their Group Chat
After you have followed their mutual friends, you can also create an Instagram group chat, including the mutual followers and asking them to add the profile you want to suggest your profile to.
Option VII: Use Similar Hashtags of Interest
To improve your Instagram engagement, research the interests of the target profile and observe the hashtags they use in their posts. Incorporate similar hashtags into your own posts to show Instagram that you share common interests.
Also Read: How to Search Multiple Hashtags on Instagram
Option VIII: Add Geolocation Tags in Posts
Instagram recommends people who live nearby. So, if you tag their location in your posts, your profile might appear in the suggestion on their Instagram profile.
2. Then, tap on the plus icon from the top right corner of the screen.
3. Tap on the POST tab.
4. Upload or capture the desired photo.
5. Edit the pictures and videos using the available edit options and filters and tap on the arrow icon.
6. Tap on the Next option from the top right corner of your screen to go ahead.
7. Now, tap on Add location.
8. Select the desired location.
9. Lastly, tap on Share to upload the post.
If I Stalk Someone on Instagram, Will I be Suggested?
Probably yes. Instagram uses parameters like the pages or accounts you have interacted with, how popular is that account, or what similar accounts you have interacted with, to decide whether to suggest you. If you stalk someone continuously on the platform by engaging with their posts, you will most likely be suggested to them.
Note: Instagram’s recommendation algorithm is complex and not coded by humans. Hence, it is difficult to guess when and who will be suggested.
How to Show Up on Someone’s Instagram Feed?
Showing up on someone’s Instagram feed is easier than appearing on suggestions. There are two ways to appear on someone’s feed.
- If they follow your account and have not restricted you on Instagram, anything you post will show up on their Instagram feed. They can engage with your posts by liking, commenting, and sharing them.
- Pay Instagram and get your post to appear on target locations. Sometimes, you might have seen posts from people who you do not follow, with Sponsored written under their username. These are sponsored ads; you can also pay Instagram to show your posts to random profiles in a certain geographical area.
We hope this comprehensive guide has helped you learn how to appear on someone’s Instagram suggestions. Applying these expert tips can increase your visibility and make your account an irresistible recommendation on Instagram. If you have any doubts or suggestions, please leave them in the comments section below.