Sometimes, when you try to send a file from WhatsApp, you may see an error stating that this file format is not supported WhatsApp. This is a common issue and can occur with a file that is not supported by WhatsApp software. However, this error can also occur with normal files due to other underlying issues with the WhatsApp program. The error WhatsApp file format not supported can be resolved by using a few effective methods. You can also use various file converters to fix the issue. In this guide, we will discuss the reasons and methods to resolve this error.
Table of Contents
How to Fix WhatsApp File Format Not Supported on Android
Continue reading to know to solve this file format is not supported in WhatsApp error in detail.
What File Formats are Supported by WhatsApp?
WhatsApp is a popular messaging application that allows users to share media files with their contacts. WhatsApp supports major media file formats for better and direct communication between individuals and group chats. The following is a list of all the major file formats that are supported by WhatsApp.
- Image: JPEG, PNG, JPG
- Document: XLS, PDF, XLSX, DOCX, DOC, PPTX, and PPT.
- Video: MP4 (WhatsApp does not support MP4 files without audio).
- Audio: MP3, AMR, .opus
If your file is in a different format, you may receive issues such as WhatsApp video format not supported issue.
Reasons for WhatsApp File Format Not Supported Error
There can be various reasons for WhatsApp MP4 not supported error on your device. Some of the possible errors are mentioned here.
- An unsupported file format can cause this error during uploads and downloads.
- Improper file location on your device is also associated with this error.
- Improper date and time settings are also sometimes responsible for unsupported file format issues on WhatsApp.
- An outdated version of WhatsApp is also responsible for this file format is not supported WhatsApp error.
- Various issues, such as improper installation of WhatsApp on your device, can also cause this error.
In the following guide, we will discuss methods to resolve this file format is not supported WhatsApp error.
Note: Since Smartphones do not have the same settings option, and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, hence ensure the correct settings before changing any. The following methods are from Moto G(60) smartphone.
Method 1: Do Not Use Unsupported File Format
Sometimes, when you receive a file on WhatsApp, you may not be able to download the file on your device. When you receive a file in a format that is not supported by WhatsApp software, WhatsApp won’t be able to download the file on your device. If you have received a similar error, you should consider checking the file format. If the file format is not supported by WhatsApp, you can try to convert the file into a supported file format.
Method 2: Repair Corrupt SD Card
This issue can also be caused by a corrupt SD card. As a result, if you’re using an SD card for extra storage, make sure it’s in good working order. You can try to format your SD card and fix this issue. Check our guide to repair damaged SD card. If it does not help, consider replacing your card with a new one.
Also Read: How to Use Two WhatsApp in One Android Phone
Method 3: Change File Location
Sometimes WhatsApp file format not supported issue can be caused by an improper file location. Therefore, if you are receiving an unsupported file format error, you can try to fix WhatsApp video format not supported issue by changing the location of the problematic file on your device. You can change the file location on your device from the File Manager. Follow these simple steps to change a file’s location on your phone to fix WhatsApp MP4 not supported error.
1. Open Files from the phone menu.
2. Navigate to the problematic file.
3. Tap on the three-dot icon, and then tap on the Move to option.
4. Navigate to the folder where you want to move the problematic file.
5. Tap on the Move here.
If this method does not help with this file format is not supported WhatsApp error, and the issue remains with WhatsApp, try the next method.
Method 4: Change Date & Time Settings
If the date and time settings are incorrect on your device, your phone may have trouble connecting to WhatsApp servers. This can cause various connection errors with WhatsApp. You may also notice unsupported file format issues with WhatsApp. Therefore, try fixing the incorrect date & time settings on your phone to fix the issue.
1. Open Settings from the phone menu.
2. Locate and tap on System.
3. Here, tap on Date & time.
4. Tap on Date, and then select the correct date from the calendar.
5. Now, tap on Time, and set the correct time from the clock.
Note: You can also set the date and time automatically by tapping the Set time automatically toggle to resolve WhatsApp video format not supported issue.
Method 5: Use Third-Party File Converters
If the file is indeed in a format that is not supported by WhatsApp, you can try to convert the file into a format that is supported by WhatsApp to resolve WhatsApp file format not supported issue. There are various image, video, and document formats that can be used to save a file. However, not all formats are supported by WhatsApp. Previously, we discussed a list of file formats that are supported by WhatsApp. Therefore, if there is a file in a format unsupported by WhatsApp, you can try to convert the format using a third-party file converter to resolve issues such as WhatsApp MP4 not supported issue. There are hundreds of online converters that can be used to convert a file’s format so that it can be sent via WhatsApp.
Method 6: Update WhatsApp
If the previous methods don’t work and this file format is not supported WhatsApp issue remains, you should consider updating the app. An outdated WhatsApp program can cause various issues, such as storage issues, chat issues, video or voice call issues, and also the unsupported file issue. Updating the app also removes bugs and other errors that may be causing different errors on WhatsApp. You can follow these simple steps to update WhatsApp on your device.
1. Open the Google Play Store from the phone menu.
2. In the search bar, type WhatsApp and search for it.
3. Locate and select WhatsApp from the search results.
4. Here, tap on Update.
5. Wait for the update to install, and then open WhatsApp.
Also Read: How to Change Font Style in WhatsApp
Method 7: Reinstall WhatsApp
When WhatsApp is not working properly and bugs and other app issues are causing the issue to persist, it can be a good idea to fix the issue by reinstalling WhatsApp. Reinstalling WhatsApp will fix various underlying issues with the application. Follow these simple steps to reinstall WhatsApp on your device.
1. Locate WhatsApp in the phone menu, and long-press the app icon.
2. Now, drag WhatsApp and drop it on the Uninstall option.
3. Confirm Uninstallation.
4. Now, open Google Play Store, and search for WhatsApp from the search bar.
5. Select WhatsApp from the search results and tap Install.
6. Wait for the installation to finish, and then open WhatsApp.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why can’t I send a file on WhatsApp?
Ans. If the file format of the file is unsupported by WhatsApp software, WhatsApp may not be able to load the file.
Q2. What does unsupported file format mean?
Ans. An unsupported file format is one that is not supported by a program, software, or app. This means that the program won’t be able to load this particular file on your device.
Q3. How do I resolve unsupported file format issues on WhatsApp?
Ans. There are a few effective methods to resolve this error. You can resolve app-related issues, or try an online file format converter to change the format.
Q4. What audio files are supported by WhatsApp?
Ans. WhatsApp supports the audio file formats MP3, AMR, and .opus.
Q5. What image files are supported by WhatsApp?
Ans. It supports JPEG, PNG, and JPG image file formats.
- How to Get TikTok Unblocked on My School Computer
- Does WhatsApp Give You Phone Number?
- 7 Ways to Fix WhatsApp Not Syncing Contacts on Android
- 11 Ways to Fix Desktop WhatsApp Not Opening on PC
We hope that this guide was helpful, and you were able to solve WhatsApp file format not supported issue on your device. Please let us know about your queries and suggestions if any in the comment section below.