The PlayStation is the most popular gaming console which was first released in 2013. PS4 Pro is the latest version of the PlayStation gaming console. The major advantage of this version is that it supports 4K resolution at a faster frame rate. Though PS4 is the most preferred gaming console, there are some cases where some issues can happen that are annoying. One of such errors is PS4 Error CE-34788-0. Update file cannot be used PS4 error shows up after the console downloaded an update, but it fails to install the update and boot the OS.
- How to Fix PS4 Error CE-34788-0
- What Causes PS4 Error CE-34788-0 Error?
- Method 1: Clear PS4 Cache
- Method 2: Hard Reset PS4
- Method 3: Install PS4 Updates in Safe Mode
- Method 4: Initialize PS4 in Safe Mode
- Method 5: Rebuild PS4 in Safe Mode
- Method 6: Repair or Clean PS4 HDD
- Method 7: Format Hard Drive or USB
- Method 8: Reset PlayStation 4 in Safe Mode
- Method 9: Reinstall PS4 Firmware
How to Fix PS4 Error CE-34788-0
PS4 update file error CE-34788-0 error occurs when the gaming console shutdowns unexpectedly. CE-34788-0 PS4 error occurs after your console downloaded an update and the error shows up at the time of boot.
What Causes PS4 Error CE-34788-0 Error?
The most common factor which causes PS4 Error CE-34788-0 error is a faulty corrupt file of the update which you have automatically downloaded. If you try to download it manually with a USB storage device, it causes a black screen instead of the usual bootup. Luckily, there is a way to fix this, try downloading the PS4 system again completely on a USB device and install it again there. There is another fix to this which is hard resetting. This method works in lower cases, but it is worth trying it as it takes less time to do it.
Some of the reasons which cause PS4 update file error CE-34788-0 are listed below.
- The software update of the PS4 system may be corrupt.
- You are using the wrong update file.
- The power supply may disturb the update installation.
- An error occurred when transferring the file to USB.
- You did not store the file in the right path.
We have seen some reasons which cause the error CE-34788-0 PS4 error. Now we will see some of the methods for the CE-34788-0 PS4 error fix.
Method 1: Clear PS4 Cache
In some cases, clearing the cache of your PS4 might fix the update file cannot be used PS4 error, and here is how to do it.
1. Press the Power button to turn off the PS4 console. Make sure you do not enter into Reset Mode.
2. Wait for the power indicator light to go off which is on the front side of the console.
3. Remove the power cord from the PS4 console which is at the back side of the console. Remove it from the console itself.
4. Hold up for 30 seconds.
5. Plug in the power cord back where it was.
6. Now, turn on your PlayStation 4.
Method 2: Hard Reset PS4
Hard resetting your PS4 can fix PS4 Error CE-34788-0. This method is the most straightforward and is successful in most cases. When you hard reset PlayStation 4, you will not lose any data. Hence, you can follow the below-listed instructions without any hesitation.
1. Hold the power button for a few seconds to turn off the PS4 console.
2. Unplug the power cord of your PS4 console.
Note: When you do so, all the electricity which is stored in the components of PlayStation will be drained out. This will remove all the cache also.
3. Now, rest your console for a few minutes by powering it off.
4. Plug in the power cord again in the console and check if the update file cannot be used PS4 is fixed.
Method 3: Install PS4 Updates in Safe Mode
This method is the best to try if hard resetting did not work for you as many users reported that the error message goes away after they download the full setup of updates for PS4. The major disadvantage of this method is that if you try fixing it with this method you will lose your data. If you are about to use this method, backing up your data is the best option to go.
Step I: Backup PS4 Data
You can backup your PS4 data by following the below-listed instructions.
1. You have to use a USB device that is formatted in either FAT or exFAT. Insert the USB to the port properly.
2. Then, select the Settings option.
3. Navigate to System followed by the Back up and Restore option.
4. Here, select the Backup option.
5. Add a checkmark in the Application savings tab by pressing X button.
Now, your PlayStation restarts, and all of your data will be copied to your backup device. This transfer of data process consumes your time depending on the size of data you have.
Step 2: Install PS4 Updates
After backing up your data you can now reset the PS4 with the use of the file that you download.
1. Create a new folder PS4 in FAT32 Format in your formatted USB device.
Note: Before installing updates, free some storage in your USB device (at least 320Mb).
2. Create another folder named UPDATE within the PS4 folder which you have just created.
3. Navigate to the Official Playstation website and download the PS4 update files. Move these files to the UPDATE folder.
4. Once you have completed the above steps, turn off the console and connect the USB drive to one of the forward-facing USB ports.
5. Press the Power button for 3 seconds to go to the Safe Mode.
Note: When you press the console for 3 seconds, it turns off completely after blinking for a while.
6. A few minutes later, press the Power button for a while and once you hear the second beep, leave the button. Now, PS4 restarts in Safe Mode.
7. In the Safe Mode screen, select the Update System Software option as depicted.
8. Now, click on Update from USB Storage Device option and click on OK.
PlayStation automatically recognizes the updated files. You have to follow the instructions which are displayed on the screen to complete the process. This works if you have named the files and folders correctly.
Step 3: Restore PS4 Data
The last step in this method is restoring the files which you have backed up previously. This can be done by following the steps below.
1. Connect the USB stick that you used for backing up the files in the device.
2. Navigate to Settings followed by Application Saved Data Management
3. Then, go to Saved Data on USB Storage Device.
4. Now, navigate to Download to System Storage in the function screen at the PlayStation 4 home menu.
5. Select a title.
6. Press X which adds a checkmark at the checkbox for the saved data that you wanted to copy.
7. Choose copy. The files will be backed up.
Also Read: Fix PS4 (PlayStation 4) Freezing And Lagging
Method 4: Initialize PS4 in Safe Mode
Still, if you did not get any solutions for the CE-34788-0 PS4 error fix you can try initializing the PS4 completely. This will fix the errors and your device starts functioning normally. If you initialize the PS4 all the data will be erased which is on the console. So make sure that you back up your data (as instructed in the above method) and files before doing the process. Initializing the PS4 through the safe mode is recommended so you have to boot into it first. Follow the below-listed instructions to initialize PS4 in safe mode and to fix PS4 Error CE-34788-0.
1. Power off your PS4 console by pressing the Power button for three to four seconds.
2. When you press the Power button, you can hear a beep sound. You will be hearing a second beep after seven seconds, now stop pressing the power button.
3. Now, connect the DualShock 4 wireless controller with a USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
4. Navigate to the Settings from the main screen of PS4.
5. From the Settings menu, click on Initialization.
6. In the next Initialization screen, click on Initialize PS4.
7. There will be two options displayed on the screen: Quick and Full. Select the Full.
8. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
9. Once the initialization process is complete, restore all the data and reinstall the applications if necessary.
Method 5: Rebuild PS4 in Safe Mode
There are some cases, when your PS4 is corrupt, then you will face update file cannot be used PS4 issue. When this happens, you have to rebuild your PlayStation as instructed below.
1. Press the Power button for 3 seconds to enter Safe Mode.
2. Then again hold the Power button and leave it once you hear the second beep. Now, PS4 starts in Safe Mode.
3. Use a USB cable to connect your DualShock 4 controller to the PS4 device and press the PS4 button on your DualShock 4 controller.
4. Press the X button in the controller.
5. Then, click the Rebuild Database option shown highlighted below.
6. Be patient until the process gets over and PS4 boots up.
7. Now, reconnect your PlayStation and check if you have fixed PS4 update file error CE-34788-0.
Method 6: Repair or Clean PS4 HDD
A PC or a console can perform poorly if it has a poor HDD. Having too many of it not only affects the performance but can also corrupt the files which cause the error CE-34788-0 PS4 error fix.
You will need a PC to repair the PS4 HDD. Repairing the hard drive can fix the errors in the hard drive. Repairing the hard drive can fix the PS4 Error CE-34788-0 and here is how to do it.
1. Remove your hard drive after turning off your PS4.
2. Try cleaning the hard drive section which connects with the port in your console.
3. Now, clean the port of your console is where the hard disk gets attached.
Also Read: 20 Best Android Gaming Console
Method 7: Format Hard Drive or USB
One of the major reasons which cause the error update file cannot be used PS4 can be the breakdown or malfunctioning of the hard drive. This can lead to many bugs or glitches which can be a problem to deal with. You can try buying a new hard drive as the old one can get repaired. If the PS4 hard drive is corrupt or repaired, it can lead to data insufficiency and can lead to the breakdown of the entire system. Your hard drive may seem like it is working normally but it may contain some bad factors which affect your PS4. Always try to back up your data because creating multiple copies is the only way to prevent your data in the hard drive from getting corrupt.
- To get rid of the bad factors completely on your hard drive you can try formatting it by connecting it to a PC.
- You can use hardware monitoring software to examine the health of the hardware and with that, you can make sure that it is normal without any dangers.
- If you are an external hard drive or USB on your computer, it is also recommended to try formatting it as instructed in our guide 4 Ways to Format an External Hard Drive to FAT32
- Before installing an update on your PlayStation try formatting or resetting the hard drive or USB if they are connected to the system.
Method 8: Reset PlayStation 4 in Safe Mode
The PS4 data and programs may get corrupt very easily due to several reasons, and this may lead to PS4 Error CE-34788-0. When all of the above-listed methods do not help you fix update file cannot be used PS4 error, you have to reset PlayStation 4 as instructed below. Once you complete this process, you have to start it again from scratch.
Note: This method wipes all of your data and returns the device to the initially installed state, with no data at all. So, backup and restore your important data as instructed in Method 3.
1. Boot your PS4 in Safe Mode as instructed in the above methods.
2. Now, click on Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software) as highlighted.
3. Follow the on-screen instruction to reset PS4 successfully.
4. Once you have reset the PlayStation 4, restore your data and check if the PS4 update file error CE-34788-0 is resolved or not.
Method 9: Reinstall PS4 Firmware
If you want to reinstall the PS4 to the advanced firmware you can download it on the Play station website. You can get the latest file from the official site, but the problem is that the PlayStation is not able to recognize the operating system after you have installed the update and after the update, the error PS4 update file error CE-34788-0 appears. So, if you replaced the hard drive, you have to install the system software completely on the PlayStation website for making sure that your operating system is working correctly. To do that follow the steps below.
1. Navigate to the PlayStation update system software support page.
2. Search the download link of the file for reinstallation.
3. Click on the PS4 console reinstallation file option for downloading it. Now, the download should start right away.
4. Wait for the download to finish. Confirm the downloaded file by checking its file size/ The downloaded and installed file is around 300MB and the full-sized download is around 800MB.
5. Create a new folder PS4 in FAT32 Format in your formatted USB device and place this file inside this folder.
6. Then, follow the steps as instructed in Method 4 to initialize PS4 in safe mode.
7. Now the PS4 Error CE-34788-0 will be fixed.
Also Read: Fix Black Ops 3 ABC Error in PS4
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What does error code CE 34878 0 mean on PS4?
Ans. Error CE-34788-0 shows that your PS4 gaming console is not able to install the latest system software updates. This error usually shows up whenever your files get corrupt or if there is a number in front of the update or if the update is being blocked by some temporary files.
Q2. How do I fix the error code CE 34788 0 on PS4?
Ans. To fix CE-34788-0 on your PlayStation 4 make sure that you are using the correct update type, always download the updates from the official website of the PS4 system software update page. Try restarting your PS4 console or use Safe Mode while getting the latest updates.
Q3. Why can’t my PS4 find the update file?
Ans. Your PS4 can’t find the update files if some of the update files are corrupt or you did not download properly or your update file name contains a number in front of the update file or if the update is being blocked by some temporary files.
Q4. What causes the PS4 safe mode loop?
Ans. There are many reasons which make you get stuck in the safe mode itself. The major reason for this is a loose power cord. Sometimes the reason may be if the console is not able to update or if it needs to be updated. This is also called a safe mode death loop and it can be fixed by some genuine workarounds.
- Fix AdbwinApi.dll is Missing Error in Windows 10
- 10 Ways to Fix Xbox One Controller Disconnecting Randomly
- How to Deactivate Primary PS4 Console
- Fix NAT Type Failed on PS4
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could fix PS4 Error CE-34788-0. Let us know which method worked for you the best. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.