Are you a Windows user looking for powerful DAW software to record, edit, and mix music and sound? Look no further than the world of free DAWs for Windows. In this article, we have highlighted the list of best free DAWs software for Windows.
Best Free DAWs for Windows
Here is the list of best free DAW Windows specifically compiled for you.
1. Waveform Free
Waveform free can be treated as the freeware version of the Tracktion Corporation’s flagship DAW software.
- Best for EDM or Electronic Dance Music owing to the new audio engine and audio effects with other improvements.
- Fully matured and developed software with in-depth user manual and training videos on Tracktion’s official website. To learn about using the software, you can access the tutorial videos that include basic setup and installation of the plugin to advanced editing and automation works.
- Optimized with virtual instruments, instrument plugins, soft synths, and intuitive MIDI sequencing.
- Suited for Acoustic duos, reggae bands, rock bands, podcasts, audiobooks, and other projects.
- Unconventional but simple workflow with well-positioned controls and can be customized in the PRO upgrade.
- Attractive Graphical User Interface for easing pain in the eye for long studio sessions.
- Core functionality includes recording, mixing, and mastering music projects from the bottom ground.
- Load video files and synchronize audio projects to movie scenes or animation.
- Load virtual instruments and MIDI features required for sequencing VST plugins.
- Built-in basic effects like EQ, reverb, delay, and more, as regular updation of user-friendly graphical interfaces, make the tool more usable.
- Supports full VST or Virtual Studio Technology, ReWire compatibility, and uses plugins.
- This software is free DAWs for Windows and works on macOS and Linux platforms as well.
2. Cakewalk by BandLab
Cakewalk is a freeware version of SONAR Platinum that can be used to compose, record, edit, mix, master, and share audio.
- Publish directly to YouTube, SoundCloud, Facebook, and more.
- The award-winning well-designed User Interface has a Traditional layout with analog consoles.
- Create unlimited tracks inclusive of audio, loop, and auxiliary tracks using the best audio engine, VST3, Touch, and other technologies.
- Usable effects include convolution reverb, resonant filtering, dynamic compression, EQ to tape and console emulation, Peak limiting, and tube saturation.
- Requires creating a free user account on the platform, and gives an ad-free user experience.
- The fast, reliable, and ready-to-use software has native features and effects including limiters, equalizers, compressors, analog console-style virtual mixer, VST plugin support, multi-touch support, Bluetooth MIDI, and more.
- This DAW software for Windows works only with Windows 7 and other higher 64-bit OS and has a strange workflow with a troubling setup.
Also Read: 15 Best DAW for Beginners
3. Ableton Live 10 Lite
Ableton Live 10 Lite is a reduced version of Live and with new versions rolled out regularly.
- Popular software with audio interface and hardware gear, and includes other essentials including workflow, instrument, and effects.
- Easy to find support and access to tutorial videos to make learning this best free DAW Windows software easy.
- Double usage for in-studio work like composing, live recording, or use as a live instrument.
- As this falls in the category of free DAWs for Windows, it is free only on the Windows platform but is compatible with the Mac platform as well.
4. MPC Beats by AKAI Pro
Being an AKAI Professional software product, MPC Beats has a legendary MPC workflow with beatmakers.
- You can get 16 pads for triggering drum samples and loops, or use the piano roll to record MIDI notes, select sounds and search for them using the browser, and use the information section to select and navigate between tracks.
- Use the sample editor to chop and edit music output and remix the included songs, and also use genre templates like Trap, Dance, and Pop.
- Get access to MPC Beats expansions of sample collections free and use the video training in MPC Beats Academy to find out more about this.
- 2 GB worth of samples, loops, and virtual instrument (restricted to only 8 instrument channels) plugins to get additional effects. Other additional specifications include over 80 audio FX plugins, VST/ AU compatibility, and two stereo audio tracks.
- Compatible with all class-compliant USB controllers including MP Mini, M-Audio Oxygen, and Alesis V-Mini, and supports VST plugin to use the virtual MPC. A high-quality time-stretching algorithm, and advanced step sequencer, to load the third-party plugins in VST and AU formats are available. It is also compatible with hardware MIDI controllers, inclusive of AKAI and third-party manufacturers.
- Limited audio channels but includes over 80 audio effects (covers all mixing and sound requirements) developed by Air and is only available in Windows 64-bit PC.
SoundBridge is a free DAWs for Windows and simple software in the Beta version that gives you access to essential tracking features.
- Can also sequence, edit, and mix the music notes using the sequencer, advanced mixer, audio editor, and automation editor, and alter in the mixing and mastering FX section.
- Insert FX rack, MIDI CC mapping, MIDI editor, transport bar, and file browser, and get high-resolution skins.
- Load the channel strip presets and plugin presets, automatic plugin delay compensation, use GUI scaling, detachable GUI elements, virtual MIDI keyboard, and support MIDI and audio routing.
- Unmute or unsolo, swing tools, nested group tracks, punch in and punch out, linked faders, sidechain support, moving group blocks, and flexible automation curves are compatible with this DAW software for Windows.
- RitMlz with two types of drum machine VSTs, i.e., one-MPC pad section and the 16-step sequencer is present and supports VST plugins, inclusive of third-party VST plugins.
- This best free DAW Windows provides support with multi-touch support and includes a virtual drum machine or MPC-style drum sampler/ sequencer for altering the style of music.
- Contains a collection of essential mixing and mastering effects and is optimized for UWP or Universal Windows Platform to support the implementation of Hand gestures and support scaling the interface.
- It is updated with new features and updates but lacks some advanced features. Also, the software is supported on Windows 32- bit and 64-bit versions and is also available for the Mac platform.
Also Read: Top 36 Best Beat Making Software for PC
LMMS is a free DAWs for Windows, open-source; cross-platform software suited for Electronic Music production by Image-Line but is not a professional DAW. This can be accounted for as a free version of the FL Studio, which is formerly known as Fruity Loops.
- Free video tutorials and regular updates of software support are available.
- Built-in effects and virtual instruments include the free and most versatile software synth like ZynAddSubFX synthesizer.
- Offers support for VST plugins, has a built-in beat or bassline editor, and connects to other applications using the JACK Audio Server makes this better.
- Use Solid Piano roll to create and edit more complex MIDI sequences and can generate sound using virtual instruments or imported samples.
- Not easy to adapt to the interface as the controls are in varying positions and the software might lack bundled plugins and FX.
- Cannot record audio, and the operation is restricted to beat-making, and stability issues creep-in.
- This software is also supported on macOS and Linux platforms.
7. Podium Free
Zynewave’s Podium Free is a real solid freeware version of the Podium that focuses on virtual instruments as the prime sound source.
- Recording and mixing real instruments and has a robust object-based project structure that uses a virtual mixer has a modern and customizable user interface and fast workflow suited for electronic musicians.
- VST plugin, track freeze/ bounce, external MIDI controller support, and other audio recording and editing tools support available.
- This free DAWs for Windows work well in 32-bit and 64-bit PCs and while using the quad-core processor, only one of the four CPU cores is utilized. This, however, does not support multi-core CPUs.
- Single-core processing is only adapted for VST plugins, lacks ReWire support, and is not compatible with cross-platform PCs.
8. Ohm Studio
A well-designed DAW with a real-time collaborative interface to start the project, invite people, or make music collaboratively is the Ohm Studio.
- Record, create, and edit audio in high quality, include MIDI notes and events, and view racks and plugins in a modular fashion.
- Complete mixer, FX, and instruments (UVI-powered Ohmplug, Frohmage low-pass filter, compressor, equalizer, limiter, flanger) are available.
- Along with these basic effects, best free DAW Windows contains features like filter, vocoder, Voxengo’s OldSkoolVerb, and LePou’s Hybrit ampism are also available.
One of the DAW software for Windows is the Qtractor, an audio or multi-track sequencer that is written in the C++ language with the Qt framework.
- Free-open source software and supports OGG, MP3, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, and other file formats.
- Basic features include Jack Audio Connection Kit or JACK for Audio, Advanced Linux Sound Architecture or ALSA for MIDI, and traditional multi-track tape recorder control paradigm.
- Non-destructive and non-linear editing, add unlimited tracks per session and overlapping clips, XML encoded session or project description files or SDI supported.
- Unlimited undo and redo options, built-in mixer and monitor controls, built-in connection patch bay control and persistence, PADSPA, DSSI, native VST2, VST3, LV2 plugin support, and MIDI support.
Also Read: 18 Best Free Audio Editing Apps for Android
Ronald’s Zenbeats is a music creation app that is a free DAWs for Windows that is highly suited for beat making that can be used on any platform and device.
- ZC1 plugin synthesizer using Ronald’s ZEN-Core Synthesis System uses 90 built-in MFX effects, 60 presets, and a touch-based interface.
- Paired with Ronald VERSELAB for quick song production and integrated output with Google Drive and OneDrive.
- Access sounds, including loops to loop sound, and creative tools in the Zenbeats Store, backup sounds to the cloud, and use virtual instruments like electro guitar, synth, organ, bass, and more for electronic music.
- The free version allows you to have in-app purchases as well.
MuLab by MuTools uses the integrated modular synth and effect engine to support the easy-to-use creation tool in recording and creating songs.
- Time stretching and pitch shifting, easy modular architecture, and super-fat oscillators with 300 selected waveforms are available. It also supports user waveforms for enhancing the music.
- Multi-core CPU support, automatic mono/stereo handling, automatic plugin latency compensation, and slicing and recycling sampled drum loops are available.
- REX file support, MuSynth, MuDrum, MuSampla, MuPad, MultiSampla, step sequencer, and arpeggiator fall in the advanced features.
- It is compatible with the Mac platform as well.
Audacity is a free, open-source, cross-platform, and easy-to-use DAW that is primitive but has a straightforward interface.
- Record, edit, export, and import functionality are present, use keyboard shortcuts to ease operation, and use the Spectrogram view mode and real-time preview to visualize the selected frequency.
- Supports 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit sample rates and formats, and new skins are included in this free DAWs for Windows regularly.
- Encompasses a Multi-track editor to edit, using the cut, copy, paste, and delete facility, any sound and export files in MP3, WAV, OGG, FLAC, and more formats.
- Supports a variety of plugin types including LADSPA, LV2, Nyquist, VST, and AU.
- This best free DAW Windows also works on Mac and GNU/Linux platforms.
Also Read: How to Remove Echo from Audio in Audacity
13. Bespoke Synth
Bespoke Synth can be used as a modular synthesizer as it allows virtual limitless patching and has modular experimentation capabilities.
- This DAW software for Windows allows customizing sound, connecting synth modules, and creating a patch from scratch.
- The modular workflow may seem complicated to use.
- It is supported on macOS and Linux platforms as well.
If you are looking for a native Microsoft app, you can use the Soundtrap DAW.
- You can create, record, or edit a song quickly using the user-supported UI.
- Use the library with a collection of loops and more than 4000 high-quality beats to create professional sounds.
- Connect the microphone, guitar, or any other instruments to modify the voice and collaborate with others to enhance the music.
Also Read: 22 Best Free Podcast Recording Software
15. Bosca Ceoil
Bosca Ceoil is free and open-source software that gives an old-school video game competition user experience.
- App and online web versions are available but it may be a little confusing to use the interface. However, the UI design is easy-to-use.
- Built-in scales and chords, including 100 instrument presets, MIDI, and chiptune instruments with VST plugins for additional support.
- The major limitation of this free DAWs for Windows is that the DAW might crash down at times.
16. Avid Pro Tools Intro
Avid Pro Tools Intro is a DAW that offers cloud collaboration.
- A variety of sound editing toolsets are available to help manipulate audio and MIDI tracks. Supports drag and drop feature to edit MIDI files and audio files without overwriting the original file.
- Includes more than 23 plugins and supports effects like solo and mute while editing and altering the music.
17. VCV Rack
VCV Rack is an open-source DAW that helps you to connect multiple modules to synthesize sounds in the best format.
- Use the Modular synthesizer to perform various audio processes and other operations like expanding a single pitch into 4 cord notes and editing the scales up to 24 tones.
- Includes numerous plugins, virtual 3D rooms with virtual speakers and microphones, and stereo parametric equalizer to perform operations like switching between the input signals.
Also Read: 25 Best Free Video Cutter Apps
Audiotool is a DAW that can be used to produce music online, and route, split, and merge inputs to form the desired audio output.
- The library of the software includes 250000 samples that can be used to load MIDI file.
- Along with this, you can invite others, provide shortcuts for operation using the keyboard keys, and track notes in the MIDI files.
19. Cherry Audio
Cherry Audio Voltage Modular Nucleus is a free DAWs for Windows, a simple, and easy-to-use DAW.
- Use unlimited cables per jack to custom module categories and find terms to tune the audio output.
- The library encompasses more than 551 presets and 15 audio electro drums.
- Modify audio using the tools in the virtual clear modular interface.
- Fiber vs Copper Internet
- How to Uninstall uMobix
- 20 Best Free Music Editor Online
- 22 Best Free DAW Software to Create Music
The article provides insight into free DAWs for Windows. Kindly help us improve by letting us know of your queries and suggestions in the comments section. Also, please let us know which of these DAW software for Windows helps in managing the audio works.