Music production is a complex process of creating, capturing, manipulating, and preserving music so that it can be distributed and listened to. To make this complex process simple, there are many tools available on the internet that help music lovers to create a magic. These tools are known as DAW, Digital Audio Workstation, that help in processing audio files with ease. There are a number of DAWs available in the market for music producers. If you are a music enthusiast and are a budding audio editor then our today’s guide on Free DAW options will help you a lot. In this doc, you will be getting to know about several DAWs and their features that will help you find best DAW for you. So, if you are up for the task of finding a free DAW online for yourself, then tag along with us, and uncover the best options available on the internet.
Best Free DAW Software to Create Music
Here, we have shown the best free DAWs for music production in detail.
What is DAW?
- Digital Audio Workstation, DAW, is an electronic device or an application that can be used for editing, recording, and producing audio files.
- This software program for making music contains all the sounds, instruments, and tools that are used for recording music.
- DAWs are elaborative tools that offer real-time preview with different sound effects.
- DAWs are a digital representation of a recording studio.
- DAW can be used to create audio for various purposes including gaming, films, music, UX, podcasts, and more.
- DAW helps to record tracks, add instruments, add vocal parts, build up beats, apply effects, and create the required outcome.
- DAWs can be used by beginners as well as professionals in the music editing field.
Best DAW Features
Let us look at some of the common features that are easily available across all DAWs:
- Timeline, which is an arranger tab.
- Piano roll.
- Input channels that do the work for the mixer tab.
- Audio editing tools like Cut, Stretch, Quantize, and others.
- Virtual Instruments, and
- Effects plugins.
How to Use DAW
Some common features and standards of design are found across different brands. Let us explore some different ways in which a DAW is used:
- Record & Edit Audio: DAWs are known to have built-in sequencers that help in recording, saving, editing, and playing backing audio. Audio is recorded with the help of the audio interface that takes audio signals and then converts them into data that a computer processes.
- Play Virtual Instruments: You can also compose music using virtual instruments that a DAW provides. These instruments are software programs that replicate the sounds of physical instruments like pianos, drums, guitars, trumpets, and more. Other DAWs also come with a stock of libraries of sound.
- Experiment with Audio Effects: DAW users also get an opportunity to experiment with audio effects which they can reverb, delay, distort, compress, and manipulate. You can also use third-party audio effect plug-ins to shape and warp your audio as per your liking.
- Mix and Master: The next main use of DAW is in the form of a mixer that helps users to apply effects to every audio signal, change their levels, pan position, and more. The mixer is used to polish and enhance the recorded material once music composing and recording is done.
List of Best Free DAWs Online
Following is the list of best free DAW online software that you can use.
Audacity is a free, open-source, cross-platform audio software which is also known as an original DAW. This multi-track audio editor and recorder are compatible with multiple devices. For users who deal in audio tracks, Audacity is the perfect DAW available.
- Audacity is an easy-to-use DAW.
- This tool can be used on multiple devices including Windows PC, macOS, Linux, GNU, and other operating systems.
- Audacity helps to record live audio through a microphone or a mixer.
- It also helps to digitize recordings using other media.
- Audacity helps to import, edit, and combine sound files.
- This software helps to export files in different formats, including multiple files at once.
- Audacity supports 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit high-quality resampling and dithering.
- The tool also supports LADSPA, VST, LV2, Nyquist, and Audio Unit effect plug-ins.
- It is very easy to edit with the cut, copy, paste, and delete methods using Audacity.
- Manipulation of tracks and selection is possible in Audacity by using the keyboard.
- Audacity also uses spectrogram view mode for visualizing and selecting frequencies.
- One of the cons of Audacity is that it is not MIDI-compatible.
- Also, the software has been accused of privacy and spyware concerns.
Also Read: How to Remove Echo from Audio in Audacity
2. Waveform Free
As the name suggests, Waveform Free is a fully featured free DAW. It tops the list because of its easy-to-use interface and elegant software that helps users to track counts and simultaneously record without any limitations.
- Waveform Free can host VST and AU plugins.
- The software can be easily used on different devices like Windows PC, Linux, and Mac.
- Waveform Free is a beginner-friendly software that has a different design concept than other DAWs.
- Waveform Free supports an unlimited number of plugins or tracks.
- The software also supports MIDI and ReWire.
- Waveform Free software is also customizable.
- It involves some built-in effects like EQ, reverb, delay, and others.
- It offers pro-level recording, editing, mixing, and more.
- Waveform Free offers an efficient audio engine, intuitive recording workflows, and rapid mixing capabilities.
Apple users can enjoy using this free DAW online tool that is specifically made for their devices and is known as GarageBand. It is a fully equipped music-creating software meant for Mac and iOS devices. With a user-friendly interface and a wide range of features, it has managed to come in the top three in the list of some efficient DAW tools.
- GarageBand consists of a complete sound library that includes instruments, guitar and voice preset, and a selection of session drummers and percussionists.
- GarageBand supports intuitive, modern, and easy-to-learn design.
- With the help of GarageBand, you can make professional-sounding music.
- The tool offers 100 EDM and Hip-Hop inspired synth sounds.
- GarageBand comes with a lot of software instruments and effects.
- It is also known to support Audio Units plugins.
- One of the cons of GarageBand is that its features are limited as compared to other DAWs in the list.
- This software is only available to use for Apple’s operating system.
Also Read: Fix Unable to Install GarageBand on iOS
4. Pro Tools
The next best DAW that we are going to talk about is none other than Pro Tools by Avid. It is one of the first choices for professional studios all over the world. The application is available for Windows as well as macOS users.
- Pro Tools offers its free version with limited features by the name of Pro Tools Intro.
- Even though Pro Tools Intro includes limited features, it is still one of the most powerful and user-friendly DAWs.
- You can upgrade to Pro Tools later which allows you to manipulate pitch and time with ARA 2.
- Using Pro Tools, you can seamlessly punch and also loop records.
- It also supports 32-bit floating/192 kHz audio resolution.
- Pro Tools allows you to record through plugins with near-zero latency with great performance.
- It supports retrospective MIDI records.
- Using Pro Tools, it is also easy to cycle through different playlists to create the best outcome.
- Pro Tools offers you to record up to 16 tracks of audio.
- One of the cons of Pro Tools is that it only allows you to record 4 tracks at once.
- There are only a limited number of virtual instrument tracks available with Pro Tools.
5. Cakewalk by BandLab
Cakewalk by BandLab is another great free DAW that you can use if you are new to the music editing and recording world. It has almost all the features that are required by professionals to create sounding music.
- The user-interface of Cakewalk is very friendly and easy to operate.
- Cakewalk offers a variety of plugins and effects that can be used to customize the sound.
- The tool also has a built-in sequencer that helps in creating complex arrangements and rhythms.
- Cakewalk is constantly updated with brand-new features and improvements.
- Cakewalk offers the ability to compose, edit, record, mix, master, and share music on Facebook, YouTube, and more.
- This award-winning UI allows users to create unlimited tracks including audio, MIDI instrument, loop, and auxiliary tracks, and features the best audio engine with Touch, VST3, and other technologies.
- Cakewalk also offers usable effects, resonant filtering, dynamic compression, console emulation, peak limiting, and tube saturation.
- One of the downsides of using Cakewalk is that it is only available to use for Windows 7 or higher at 64-bit (not available for 32-bit versions).
- Another con of using Cakewalk is that you need to make a free user account to download the tool.
6. Abelton Live 11 Lite
Abelton Live 11 Lite is another lightweight and flexible DAW software that helps create music and performance fast & fluidly. The software offers a free trial online with a license for many audio interfaces, MIDI controllers, plugins, and iOS applications to enjoy it as a free DAW online.
- Abelton Live 11 Lite offers built-in pitch shifting and time stretching in the warp feature.
- The software is known to offer a range of sound effects, including echo and bass.
- Ableton includes workflows, instruments, and effects for creating new sounds, recording ideas, performing on stage, and much more.
- Abelton allows you to make music in Live in two different ways.
- It helps you to record audio from hardware synths, drum machines, guitars, or any audio from the real world with the help of your audio interface.
- Abelton also allows you to pitch shift and sequence melodies & delays.
- This software supports multiple MIDI editing.
- You can create and arrange music with ease using Abelton Live 11 Lite.
- It offers 16 tracks with any combination of audio and midi channels.
- Abelton supports four inputs and outputs at once.
- One of the cons of Abelton is that it does not support ReWire.
- Also, MIDI mapping is limited in this software.
Also Read: Top 36 Best Beat Making Software for PC
7. Ohm Studio
Ohm Studio is the next best DAW that is available on the internet for free download. Ohm Force created and released Ohm Studio in 2013. Since then, Ohm Studio has been the most visited virtual studio for thousands of users and projects.
- Ohm Studio is the only text-related, desktop-based, and real-time editor.
- Users can enjoy all the important music creation features of a paid DAW with Ohm Studio for free.
- It offers collaborative designs that make it possible to share ideas with others.
- Ohm Studio comes with essential and unlimited tracks.
- Users can start projects, invite people to join in, and make music together with Ohm Studio.
- Ohm Studio offers the ability to record, create, and edit to users.
- Audio recorded in Ohm Studio is of high quality.
- It is a great platform to view racks and plugins.
- Ohm Studio supports a complete mixer, FX, and instruments.
- You can enjoy the free version of Ohm Studio without any limitations.
- Ohm Studio helps in creating professional-quality music.
- One of the cons of Ohm Studio is that it does not have a built-in MIDI editor.
- Also, Ohm Studio is not meant for complex music production.
SoundBridge is a famous free DAW that is simple to operate and open source. It is a full-featured DAW that contains all the important features of a pro-DAW and makes them easy to use.
- SoundBridge has a built-in drum machine and effects that are comfortable to operate.
- It’s simple user interface is easy to understand.
- SoundBridge allows you to edit songs with other musicians.
- SoundBridge offers third-party driver support.
- Editing audio in SoundBridge is very easy.
- The tool helps you to collaborate with other musicians.
- SoundBridge is known to offer high-resolution themes.
- It also provides a wide range of freeware effects.
- One of the important features of SoundBridge is that it offers MIDI mapping.
- The software supports RitMIx.
- SoundBridge is available to download for Windows or Mac (32-bit or 640-bit).
Also Read: 18 Best Free Audio Editing Apps for Android
Reaper is our next best DAW software that you can use for customization with user-generated skins and mods. Reaper has been developed by Cockos and is known as the best software that can be run from a network drive.
- This fully-featured DAW recording interface supports VSTs.
- Reaper offers many plugins for effects and virtual instruments.
- It helps you to record audio in any format.
- You can easily drag and drop files to import, arrange, and render using Reaper.
- Reaper allows helps in easily moving, splitting, resizing, and looping any audio.
- Reaper is known to support more than 64 routable channels.
- It helps you to apply effects in real-time as well.
- This software helps you to customize toolbars, colors, layouts, and icons the way you prefer.
- Reaper is a complete multitrack, MIDI recording, processing, editing, mixing, and mastering platform.
- Reaper is a versatile tool that can be used to perform multiple tasks.
- The only con about Reaper is that it does not offer any complimentary plugins.
Soundtrap is the next DAW in our today’s list which has grown as the most opted free DAW online. This software by Spotify is simple, minimalist, easy-to-use. Soundtrap help music lovers explore a new sound, create a song, or collaborate with others.
- Soundtrap is known to offer an extensive collection of loops, beats, and instruments.
- The software allows you to record and edit songs on any device.
- It is famously known for its collaboration feature with other music enthusiasts.
- Soundtrap offers more than 4000 high-quality beats.
- Soundtrap also enables you to connect your microphone, guitar, or any other instrument.
- This amazing tool also allows users to modify their voice with ease.
- Also, the Patterns Beatmaker feature of Soundtrap helps you to make your own beats intuitively.
11. Podium Free
The next free DAW in the list is named Podium Free. This helpful software is available for Windows users and has a DAW-style timeline and mixing board. Podium Free helps users to work on multiple projects with ease.
- Podium Free supports full VST compatibility and unlimited tracks.
- The software helps users to mix and edit MIDI audio files.
- You can easily work on multiple projects with Podium Free.
- The software enables you to add effects to audio files or change channels, sample rate, pitch bend, and more.
- You can build your own plugin with Podium Free.
- Podium Free also offers a customizable user interface.
- This tool provides multi-channel audio.
- Podium Free software can also be used for commercial purposes.
- The software can be used without installation.
Another free DAW online is Zenbeats which is also known as a music creation app. Roland Zenbeats can be used for electronic beat production as it offers virtual instruments like a synth, electronic guitar, bass, organ, and others.
- Zenbeats can be used as an app on any computer platform or mobile device which makes it easily accessible.
- Using Zenbeats, you can build beats, compose full multitrack songs, or sample the music easily.
- Zenbeats offers a touch-based interface.
- This DAW application is known to provide more than 90 built-in MFX effects.
- Zenbeats covers a variety of instruments including acoustic, electronic, and ethnic.
- Zenbeats also allows you to loop sound.
- With the help of this software, you can integrate with Google Drive and OneDrive.
Also Read: 22 Best Free Podcast Recording Software
Let’s Make Music is a free, cross-platform for your computer. The ability of LMMS software to make music, and create melodies, and beats with ease on your PC is what makes it best DAW. This user-friendly application has more pros in the form of features that are listed below.
- LMMS offers typing or MIDI keyboard.
- LMMS also supports numerous effect plugins and instruments.
- The software also offers track-based automation.
- LMMS allows users to compose, sequence, and mix songs.
- Using LMMS, a piano editor can fine-tune patterns, chords, and notes.
- It also helps you to import MIDI files.
- One con about this software is that it does not record audio and is only a dedicated beatmaker.
14. MPC Beats
MPC Beats is free DAW by AKAI. MPC Beats, as the name suggests, is a beat-oriented software. It is a great pick for beatmakers and hip-hop producers. This perfect DAW helps users to record MIDI notes. Not just that but it also allows users to cut and edit music with less efforts.
- MPC Beats offers 16 pads for triggering drum samples and loops.
- It also offers a piano roll to record MIDI notes.
- You can use its sample editor feature to chop and edit.
- It also provides a browser that helps in searching and selecting sounds.
- You can select a genre template in MPC Beats like Trap, Dance, Pop, and more.
- MPC Beats offers compatibility with all class-compliant USB controllers.
- You can easily remix songs using this software.
- It also has built-in virtual instrument plugins.
- Users can easily make sounding beats using this DAW application.
- Its drawback is that it has limited tracks and recording capability.
- MPC Beats is only compatible with Windows.
Audiotool is a free DAW online software that helps people to create and produce music. This free online digital music workstation is an award-winning tool that can be operated via the browser. Audiotool does not need to be installed in the system and still provides all the tools that are required to produce music professionally.
- With the help of Audiotool’s built-in publishing platform, you can easily release your tracks in the community.
- Audiotool has an extensive library of 250,000 samples.
- It is easy to route, split, and merge different outputs using Audiotool.
- The tool helps users to load the MIDI file into the software.
- The software also enables you to invite other people to your project.
- You can easily track your notes in a MIDI file.
- Audiotool also allows you to get support from other producers and build your fanbase.
16. Adobe Audition
Using Adobe Audition is a perfect choice that you can make in regard to best DAW. If you still haven’t found a DAW software that includes waveform and multi-track display to create, mix, and edit audio content, then Adobe Audition is the tool for you.
- Adobe Audition is a professional audio workstation that is designed to accelerate video production workflows and audio.
- Audio breaks in the software can be repaired with perfection.
- Adobe Audition is a great platform to mix audio content for the podcast.
- The software consists of a sound panel integrated with a program to enhance the audio effects.
- You can also make professional audio recordings by integrating music clips within them.
- Adobe Audition supports the import and export of multiple audio formats.
- The supported devices by Adobe Audition are Windows and Mac systems.
Soundop is another professional audio editor for seamless audio production workflow. This free DAW helps users to edit metadata across formats. Not only this, but this software also offers multitrack recording and mixing.
- The devices supported by Soundop include ASIO and WASAPI.
- The software offers Automating Audio Effect parameters.
- It also provides VST3 effect plugin support.
- Soundop is also known to offer high DPI display support to users.
- This tool can help you in burning audio tracks to CDs.
- It can also help you with batch-processing audio files.
- It is known to offer waveform and spectral editing.
18. VCV Rack
VCV Rack is an open-source free DAW online that helps you to perform various audio processes. This modular synthesizer helps you to connect multiple modules to synthesize sound.
- VCV Rack offers numerous plugins.
- The software also provides virtual 3D rooms with virtual speakers and microphones.
- With the help of VCV Rack, you can easily switch between input signals.
- Using VCV Rack gives you a chance to work with a stereo parametric equalizer.
- You can edit scales up to 24 tones with VCV Rack.
- Also, you can expand a single pitch into 4 notes cord by using VCV Rack.
Also Read: 13 Best Audio Recording Software for Mac
Ardour is one of best DAW tools that are available on the internet. Ardour helps to record, edit, and mix on macOS, Linus, and Windows devices. It works by plugging in a microphone or keyboard as well.
- Ardour supports you by importing MIDI from your computer.
- The software helps you to cut, stretch, move, and copy-paste audio.
- Ardour is popularly known for its drag and drop feature.
- It also helps users to add effects like solo, fade, mute, and more.
- You can easily compose sound using MIDI.
- Along with other features, it allows you to perform multitrack recordings as well as editing.
- Ardour supports multiple plugins.
20. Studio One
Studio One by PreSonus is the next free DAW that we are going to discuss now. The software offers various features like sound editing, unlimited tracks, and virtual instruments. You can do almost everything with the help of this tool including record, produce, master, mix, and perform.
- With the help of Studio One, you can easily manage the speed of your music track.
- You can also reduce the repeated task of creating music with this software.
- File in Studio One can be saved in Advanced Authoring Format (AAF).
- The tool also offers keyboard shortcuts for easy use.
- Studio One allows you to create a combination and sequence of keystrokes.
- It is one of the rare applications that help users to edit music harmony.
21. Logic Pro X
One of the last free DAW online software that is going to be listed now is Logic Pro X. It is a great asset for Apple users that can convert a Mac system into a professional recording studio. The software is famously known for its DJ-style effects and transactions for tracks.
- With Logic Pro X, you can easily mix your music collection.
- It helps you control live loops from an iPad or iPhone.
- You can easily build drumbeats, melodies, bass lines, and more with its help.
- The software supports users in creating audio tracks with more than 1000 software tracks.
- This DAW tool helps you to edit, record, and manipulate MIDI performance.
Also Read: 25 Best Free Video Cutter Apps
22. Cubase LE
The last best DAW that we are going to end our list with is Cubase LE. Cubase LE is a special and compact version of Cubase Pro. It provides tools that are required for recording, editing, and mixing. Also, Cubase LE was one of the first digital sequencing apps.
- It is a free application with a few limitations.
- You can record up to 16 tracks of audio and 24 virtual instrumental tracks.
- Cubase LE can record up to 8 tracks at once.
- The software comes with VST plugins and libraries for HALion sampling platform.
- How to Get Little Skype Window Back
- Fix Discord Download Error on Windows 10
- 24 Best MKV Player to Download for Windows 10
- Top 13 Best Free YouTube to MP4 Converter Tools
We hope that our elaborative guide on free DAW software was helpful and guiding enough to present you with a perfect DAW that you can use for free. Apart from it, if you have any suggestions or queries for us, please leave them in the comments section below.