Android TV and Roku TV fundamentally do the same thing, but their usage would differ according to the users.
Roku TV is more suitable for people with no prior technical knowledge. On the other hand, Android TV is a better choice for avid gamers and heavy users.
So, if you are looking for a comparison: Android TV vs. Roku TV, you are at the right place. We bring to you this guide that provides an elaborate discussion to help you understand the difference between Android TV and Roku TV. Let us now talk about each feature in detail.
Table of Contents
Android TV vs Roku TV: Which Smart TV Platform is Right for You?
1. User Interface
1. It is a hardware digital media platform offering access to streaming media content from various online sources. With the help of the internet, you can now watch free and paid video content on your television without the need for a cable. Several applications can be used for the same, Roku being one of them.
2. This is a fantastic invention that is efficient & durable. Additionally, it is quite affordable, even for the average smart TV consumer.
3. The User Interface of Roku is simple, and even first-time users can operate it easily. Therefore, it is perfect for people who are not tech-savvy.
4. All the channels you have installed will be depicted on the home screen. This is an added advantage since it makes it easy to use.
1. The user interface of Android TV is dynamic and customized, which is well suited for intensive users.
2. It uses the Android operating system to access Google Play Store. You can install all the required apps from the Play Store and access them on your Android TV.
3. You can seamlessly connect your Android TV to your Android smartphone and enjoy using it. This is a unique feature offered by this smart TV since both devices work on the same platform.
4. To make the surfing experience more accessible, Android TV comes preinstalled with Google Chrome. In addition, you can access Google Assistant, which acts as your personal guide. This is where Android TV fares better than Roku TV and Smart TV.
1. Roku TV supports a wide range of channels like:
Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, Prime Video, HBO Max, The Roku Channel, Tubi- Free Movies & TV, Pluto TV- It’s Free TV, Sling TV, Peacock TV, discovery plus, Xfinity Stream Beta, Paramount Plus, AT&T TV, Philo, Plex-Free Movies & TV, VUDU, SHOWTIME, Happykids, NBC, Apple TV, Crunchyroll, The CW, Watch TNT, STARZ, Funimation, Frndly TV, ABC, BritBox, PBS, Bravo, Crackle, TLC GO, Locast.org, FilmRise, Viki, Telemundo, Redbox., QVC & HSN, HGTV GO, Investigation Discovery Go, BET Plus, Adult swim, CBS, HISTORY, Hotstar, FOX NOW, XUMO – Free Movies & TV, MTV, IMDb TV, Food Network GO, USA Network, Lifetime, Discovery GO, Google Play Movies & TV, PureFlix, Pantaya, iWantTFC, Tablo TV, Fawesome, FXNOW, Shudder, A&E, VRV, UP Faith & Family, Watch TBS, E!, BET, Hallmark TV, FilmRise British TV, OXYGEN, VH1, Hallmark Movies Now, WatchFreeFlix, Freeform-Movies & TV shows, CW Seed, SYFY, Movies Anywhere, BYUtv, TCL CHANNEL, VIX – CINE. TV. GRATIS, WOW Presents Plus, CuriosityStream, FilmRise Western, Watch OWN, Lifetime Movie Club, YuppTV- Live, CatchUp, Movies, Nat Geo TV, WETV, ROW8, AMC, Movieland. Tv, FilmRise True Crime, The Criterion Channel, Nosey, Travel Channel GO, Watch TCM, ALLBLK, FilmRise Horror, TCL CHANNEL, Kanopy, Paramount Network, FilmRise Mysteries, Vidgo, Animal Planet Go, Popcornflix, FilmRise Sci-Fi, FandangoNOW, ReDiscover Television, FilmRise Action, KlowdTV, GLWiz TV, DistroTV Free Live TV & Movies, Western TV & Movie Classics, JTV Live, PeopleTV, OnDemandKorea, Sundance Now, hoopla, Comet TV, ShopHQ, EPIX NOW, Classic Reel, TV Cast( Official), Rumble TV, Freebie TV, FilmRise Comedy, FailArmy, DOGTV, Science Channel Go, FilmRise Thriller, SHOP LC, aha, FilmRise Classic TV, Globoplay Internacional, truTV, EPIX, DUST, VICE TV, Gem Shopping Network, FilmRise Documentary, B-Movie TV, Brown Sugar, and TMZ.
2. The channels mentioned above are major streaming channels. Including these, Roku supports about 2000 channels, both free and paid.
3. You can enjoy even those channels in Roku that are not supported by Android TV.
1. Android TV is free from carriage disputes as compared to Roku TV. This is an added benefit as it provides access to a lot of streaming channels.
2. Here are some major streaming channels offered by an Android TV: Pluto TV, Bloomberg TV, JioTV, NBC, Plex, TVPlayer, BBC iPlayer, Tivimate, Netflix, Popcorn Time, etc.,
Also Read: How to Hard & Soft Reset Roku
3. Voice Control
Roku supports both Alexa and Google Assistant. However, you will not be able to utilize all the features of Google Assistant. You can access weather conditions or your calendar, but not full-fledged Google Assistant support will be available.
As discussed earlier, you can enjoy all the features of Google Assistant and Google Chrome on Android TV. In terms of voice search and internet surfing, Android TV wins the game with a great margin over all others.
4. Bluetooth Support
1. You can connect Bluetooth with your Roku TV, but not all devices will comply. Only a limited number of Roku devices can be linked via Bluetooth, as listed below:
- Roku Ultra model 4800.
- Roku Smart Soundbar.
- Roku TV (with wireless speakers edition)
- Roku Streambar.
2. You can enjoy listening to Bluetooth with the help of a Roku mobile application called Mobile Private Listening. This can be done when you enable the Mobile Private Listening feature by connecting your Bluetooth speaker with your mobile.
You can enjoy listening to songs or stream audio by pairing your Android TV with Bluetooth. In terms of Bluetooth support, Android TV is a better choice when compared to Roku TV, as it is hassle-free.
Also Read: 19 Amazing Hacks to Hack Roku to Get Free Channels
Roku TV is updated more frequently than Android TV. Thus, Roku TV features and channel extensions are revised and updated every time you install an update.
However, when you opt for an automatic update in Roku TV, there is a high probability that a bug may intrude into your system. Thereafter, you won’t even be able to use your Roku TV until the bug issue is fixed.
Go for a restart process when you are stuck with this problem. Here is how to do it.
The restart process of Roku is similar to that of a computer. Rebooting the system by switching from ON to OFF & then turning ON again would help resolve minor issues with your Roku device.
Note: Except for Roku TVs and Roku 4, other versions of Roku do not have an ON/OFF switch.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to restart your Roku device using the remote:
1. Select System by pressing on the Home Screen.
2. Now, search for System restart and select it.
3. Choose Restart as shown below. It will confirm restart to turn your Roku player off and then on again.
4. Roku will turn OFF. Wait till it gets powered ON.
5. Go to the Home page and check if the glitches are resolved.
The steps to update Android TV differ from model to model. But, you can ensure regular updates for your TV by enabling the Auto-update feature on your TV.
We have explained the steps for Samsung Smart TV, but they may vary for other models.
1. Press the Home/Source button on the Android TV remote.
2. Navigate to Settings > Support > Software Update.
3. Here, select the Auto-Update feature ON to let your device update Android OS automatically.
4. Alternatively, you can choose the Update now option to search for & install updates.
6. Chromecast Support
Roku TV does not give extended access for Chromecast support. But, you can try the alternate option called screen mirroring on Roku TV using the 10 Best Screen Mirroring App for Android to Roku.
Android TV offers extended support to Chromecast support as a built-in feature. Also, there is no need to pay for an extended Chromecast dongle to enable this feature.
Also Read: How to Use Your Smartphone as a TV Remote
Roku Android TV box was not developed while keeping gaming features in mind. So, you can enjoy regular snake games or Minesweeper on your Roku TV, but you can’t play highly advanced, graphical games on it.
To be straightforward, Roku TV is not for gamers!
As discussed earlier, you can enjoy a variety of games on Android TV with the help of Best Android TV box. Although, you need to buy an NVIDIA Shield TV. Then, you can enjoy playing as much as your heart desires.
Therefore, in terms of Gaming features, Android TV is a better choice.
- Fix Netflix Error “Unable to Connect to Netflix”
- Fix HBO Max Not Working on Roku
- Guide to Download Twitch VODs
- Fix Black Screen Issue on Samsung Smart TV
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to understand the difference between Android TV vs Roku TV. Let us know how this article helped you decide which Smart TV platform is right for you. Also, if you have any queries/comments regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.
This article was very helpful. With more and more “supplier” not carrying Android TV’s, I now have a better idea of the difference between the two.