iPhone is the most successful device of Apple Inc. Also, it gives the users a premium-level experience with the latest and most interesting features. And because of its operating system, iOS, the security level, the UI, and the speed are remarkable. But iOS users often come across one issue, asking why are my notifications not making sound on iPhone. This issue makes it difficult to overlook important information, especially when your device isn’t in your hands or close by. This guide will walk you through some troubleshooting tips that will help you fix iPhone notification sound not working. Also, you will be able to understand and fix the iOS 15 notification sound not working problem. Let’s begin!
Why are My Notifications Not Making Sound on iPhone?
This issue might be brought on by a system setting you changed on your iPhone. It’s also possible that you made some in-app adjustments accidentally that silenced the app’s notification, which would be app-specific.
Sometimes, the problem may result from a simple device bug that can be resolved by restarting the device. You may also be able to resolve iPhone app notification sound issues by force-closing the app and reopening it. Whatever the situation, use the solutions listed below to resolve the issue with the iPhone’s no text message alerts and iOS 15 notification sound not working.
Method 1: Turn Off Silent Mode & DND
There won’t be a notification tone for new texts once you put your iPhone in silent mode. Turn off silent mode on your iPhone by pushing up the mute switch that is located above the volume buttons to fix this.
Second, when your iPhone is in Do Not Disturb mode, new texts do not cause it to vibrate or make a sound. Open the iOS Control Center and check to see if the DND icon (a crescent moon) is purple to resolve this. If so, tap it to disable DND.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the Do Not Disturb option.
3. Turn off the toggle for the Do Not Disturb option.
Additionally, Focus modes in iOS 15 and later versions let you choose which apps and people you want to allow notifications from. Use the Control Center or the Settings app to disable any of these modes if you are using them.
Method 2: Allow Message Notifications
Enable the Messages app to display messages on the Lock Screen, Notification Center, and other locations if text messages aren’t appearing as notifications on your iPhone. Follow the below steps to fix iPhone notification sound not working
1. Navigate to Settings > Notifications > Messages.
2. Turn on the toggle for the Allow Notifications option.
3. Enable the Banners, Notification Center, and Lock Screen options.
4. Choose the desired loud message ALERT TONES from the Sounds menu.
Note: If the actual message content isn’t visible on your iPhone’s Lock Screen, select Always under Show Previews.
Also Read: How Do I Fix Slow Internet on My iPhone
Method 3: Unmute Recipient from iMessages
iPhone won’t notify you when someone or a group sends you a new text or iMessage after you have muted them. Discover how to fix iPhone notification sound not working in the sections below:
1. Open the Messages app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the desired message for which the alerts have been hidden.
3. Then, tap on the i icon from the top right corner, as shown below.
4. Turn off the toggle for the Hide Alerts option.
Method 4: Force Quit Messages App
If the Messages app is open in the background, force quit this application. To force quit the Messages app, you can follow the steps given below.
- On iPhone X or the latest model of iPhone: Swipe upwards from the bottom and stop at the middle of your screen to see all the apps that you have used recently.
- On iPhone 8 or an earlier model of iPhone: Double-click the home button to see the apps you have recently used.
After that all the background apps will come up, close the Messages app and prevent them from running in the background to fix iPhone notification sound not working issue.
Method 5: Re-Enable iMessage
iMessage makes it simple to connect with friends, family, and coworkers. It’s imperative to confirm whether iMessage is turned on and activated before continuing. Follow the steps below to fix no text message alerts on iPhone:
1. Launch iPhone Settings.
2. Then, tap on Messages.
3. Turn off the toggle for the iMessage option.
4. Then, after a few seconds, turn on the toggle again for the iMessage option.
Method 6: Restart iPhone
There are times when you ask yourself why are my notifications not making sound on iPhone. To resolve this issue, you can try to restart or reboot your device to fix the issue. It will refresh the system from freezing and glitches. You can read our article on How to Restart iPhone X to learn how to restart.
Method 7: Disable Filter Unknown Senders Feature
Using an iPhone, you can automatically filter spam and texts from strangers. In rare instances, if you enable this, you might miss a few important text notifications. Additionally, the Messages app will sort any text messages you receive from people who aren’t in your contact list into a separate list and won’t alert you to them. Follow the steps below to fix iOS 15 notification sound not working:
1. On the Settings app, tap on the Messages option.
2. Now, swipe down and tap on Unknown & Spam.
3. Then, turn off the toggle for the Filter Unknown Senders option.
Also Read: How to Turn Off Deliver Quietly on iMessage
Method 8: Disconnect Bluetooth Devices
The new text message sound may output via those Bluetooth earbuds or devices rather than the device’s speaker if you forget and leave them connected to your iPhone.
Let’s see how to disconnect Bluetooth devices from your iPhone.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on the Bluetooth option.
3. Locate and tap on the connected device.
4. After that, tap on the i icon from the right of the listed device.
5. Tap on Forget This Device option and confirm your choice.
Keep reading further to learn more methods to fix iOS 15 notification sound not working issue.
Method 9: Unblock Contacts
After you block someone, they are unable to text or call you. Check to see if a specific person hasn’t been (inadvertently or on purpose) added to the block list if you aren’t receiving texts from them. Follow the steps below to fix why are my notifications not making sound on iPhone issue:
1. Open Settings and tap on Notifications > Messages.
2. Tap on Blocked Contacts.
3. Swipe left on the person’s name or phone number, if they are listed here, and tap on Unblock.
Method 10: Enable Message Alert Tone
When you receive a new message or notification on your iPhone, it will play an alert tone. If you don’t select an Alert Tone for a particular service or app on your iPhone, no sounds will be played whenever a new notification is received. Follow the steps below to fix why are my notifications not making sound on iPhone issue:
1. Open Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Now, tap on Sound & Haptics.
3. Then, tap on Text Tone.
4. Tap on the desired tone listed on the page to select it as your text/notification tone if the Alert Type is set to None.
Note: Return to the Sounds & Haptics page and make sure the Alert Tones are enabled for all other services and applications (such as Mail, Voicemail, AirDrop, etc.). Make sure to select a notification tone if any of them are None.
Also Read: How to See Old Notifications on iPhone
Method 11: Enable Notify Me
Did you mute the conversation because you were in a bad mood after receiving too many group iMessage notifications? You will no longer get notifications unless someone specifically mentions you in a muted conversation. By doing this, you can cut down on pointless text notifications while keeping track of those that specifically mention you. Follow the below steps to fix why are my notifications not making sound on iPhone issue:
1. Open Settings and tap on Messages.
2. Now, swipe down and turn on the toggle for the Notify Me option.
Method 12: Update iOS
One of the best things about owning an iPhone is that you get regular updates for the operating system of your device. This is also true of other Apple products, but the iPhone is the one that gets updated the most frequently. You receive many updates for iOS because Apple wants to fix as many problems with its products as possible. A problem that was present in a previous iOS update should most likely be fixed in a more recent update, and so forth. Follow the steps below to fix why are my notifications not making sound on iPhone issue:
1. On your iPhone, launch the Settings app.
2. Tap on General from the menu.
3. Then, tap on Software Update.
4. Tap on Download and Install.
Note: Select Continue or Cancel if you get a message asking you to remove some apps temporarily so that iOS can update.
5A. If you want the update to occur immediately, tap on the Install option.
5B. Or, if you tap on Install Tonight and plug your iOS device into power before you sleep, your device will be updated automatically overnight.
Note: You are also given the option to install the software later by choosing to Remind Me Later.
Method 13: Disable Text Message Forwarding
There are times when new text notifications won’t appear on your iPhone if you choose to receive texts on your Mac or iPad. Follow the steps below to fix why are my notifications not making sound on iPhone issue:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on Messages.
3. Now, swipe down and tap on Text Message Forwarding.
4. Finally, turn off the Text Message Forwarding option for other Apple Devices.
Also Read: How to Disable Pop-ups on Safari on iPhone
Method 14: Reset All Settings
Invalid settings or customizations can also have a negative impact on notifications. If the issue appeared after altering some phone settings, this might be the root of the issue. The same thing may occur following the installation of fresh updates for iOS or apps. In some cases, updates override settings, which can lead to conflicts. Restoring the default choices and original configuration can help rule this out. Follow the steps below to fix why are my notifications not making sound on iPhone issue:
1. Open iPhone Settings.
2. Tap on General > Transfer or Reset iPhone.
3. Tap on Reset.
4. Tap on Reset All Settings.
Method 15: Perform Factory Reset
The last resort that you can try by yourself and a potential fix if the issue reappears after implementing the earlier workarounds is a factory reset. You might be dealing with a serious system problem that requires more sophisticated fixes, such as a complete system reset. However, make sure to back up all of your crucial files first because doing so will result in their permanent deletion. You can choose to back up your files to iTunes or iCloud. Follow our guide on How to Factory Reset iPhone X.
Method 16: Contact Apple Support
You will have to contact Apple Support if any of the methods mentioned above haven’t worked for you. You can get a professional opinion on what you can do to fix iPhone notification sound not working problem. Apple provides an online help desk that gives articles as well as live support from their headquarters. You can visit the iPhone Support page to get connected to the Apple support team.
- What is a Botnet Attack?
- How to Fix Hey Siri Not Working on iPhone
- What Does Notify Anyway Mean in iOS 15?
- How to Turn Off Incognito Mode on iPhone
We hope you could quickly understand and resolve why are my notifications not making sound on my iPhone and iOS 15 notification sound not working issues. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn about next.