Group messaging is the simplest way for everybody in the group to connect and exchange info with each other. It allows you to connect with a set of people (3 or more) at the same time. This is an excellent way to keep in contact with friends and relatives, and sometimes, office colleagues too. Text messages, videos, and images can be sent and received by all members of the group. In this article, you can learn how to send a group text on iPhone, how to name a group chats on iPhone, and how to leave a group text on iPhone. So, read below to know more.
- How to Send a Group Text on iPhone?
- Important Features of Group Chat on iPhone
- Step 1: Turn on Group Messaging Feature on iPhone
- Step 2: Type a Message to Send a Group Text on iPhone
- Step 3: Add People to a Group Chat
- How to Remove someone from a Group Chat on iPhone?
- How to Leave a Group Text on iPhone?
How to Send a Group Text on iPhone?
Important Features of Group Chat on iPhone
- You can add up to 25 participants in the iMessage Group Text.
- You cannot re-add yourself to the group after leaving a chat. However, another member of the group can.
- In case you want to stop receiving messages from group members, you can mute the chat.
- You can choose to block the other participants, but only in exceptional cases. Thereafter, they wouldn’t be able to reach you via messages or calls.
Read here to learn more about Apple Messages App.
Step 1: Turn on Group Messaging Feature on iPhone
To send a group text on iPhone, first of all, you need to turn on group messaging on your iPhone. Follow the given steps to do the same:
1. Tap on Settings.
2. Scroll down and tap on Messages, as shown.
3. Under the SMS/MMS section, toggle the Group Messaging option ON.
The Group Messaging feature is now enabled on your device.
Step 2: Type a Message to Send a Group Text on iPhone
1. Open the Messages app from the Home screen.
2. Tap on the Compose icon located in the top right corner of the screen.
3A. Under New iMessage, type the names of the contacts that you want to add to the group.
3B. Or, tap on the + (plus) icon to add the names from the Contacts list.
4. Type your message that you wish to share with all members of the said group.
5. Finally, tap on the Arrow icon to send it.
Voila!!! That’s how to send a group text on iPhone. Now, we shall discuss how to name a group chat on iPhone and add more people to it.
Step 3: Add People to a Group Chat
Once you’ve created an iMessage group chat, you need to know how to add somebody to a group text. This is possible only if the said contact also uses an iPhone.
Note: Group chats with Android users are possible, but only with limited features.
Here’s how to name a group chat on iPhone and add new contacts to it:
1. Open the Group iMessage Chat.
2A. Tap on the small Arrow icon located on the right-hand side of the Group Name.
2B. If the group name is not visible, tap the arrow located on the right-hand side of the Number of contacts.
3. Tap on the Info icon from the upper right corner of the screen.
4. Tap on existing Group Name to edit and type new Group Name.
5. Next, tap on the Add Contact option.
6A. Either type the contact name directly.
6B. Or, tap on the + (plus) icon to add the person from the contact list.
7. Lastly, tap on Done.
Also Read: Fix iPhone Message Notification Not Working
How to Remove someone from a Group Chat on iPhone?
Removing anyone from a Group text is possible only when there are 3 or more people are added to the group, excluding you. Anyone in the group can add or delete contacts from the group using iMessages. After you’ve sent your first message, you can remove anyone from a group text as follows:
1. Open the Group iMessage Chat.
2. Tap on the arrow icon from the right-hand side of the Group name or Number of contacts, as explained earlier.
3. Now, tap on the Info icon.
4. Tap on the contact name you wish to remove and swipe left.
5. Lastly, tap on Remove.
You are now equipped to remove a contact from iMessage Group Chat if the said person was added by mistake or you no longer wish to communicate with them via group texts.
Also Read: Fix iPhone Cannot Send SMS messages
How to Leave a Group Text on iPhone?
As informed earlier, there must be three people, excluding you, in the group before you can leave it.
- Hence, no one should leave the chat if you are just talking to two other people.
- Also, if you delete the chat, other participants can still contact you, and you will continue to get updates.
This is how to leave a group text on iPhone:
1. Open iMessage Group Chat.
2. Tap on Arrow > Info icon.
3. Tap on the Leave this Conversation option located at the bottom of the screen.
4. Next, tap on Leave this Conversation again to confirm the same.
Also Read: How to Fix iPhone Frozen or Locked Up
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. How to create a Group Chat on iPhone?
- Turn on the Group Messaging option from device Settings.
- Launch the iMessage app and tap on the Compose button.
- Type in the names of contacts or tap on Add button to add people from your contacts list to this group
- Now, type your message and tap on Send.
Q2. How can I make a Group Chat in Contacts on iPhone?
- Open the Contacts app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the (plus) + button from the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Tap on New Group; then type in a name for it.
- Next, tap on entering/Return after typing the group name.
- Now, tap on All Contacts to view the name of contacts from your list.
- To add participants to your group chat, tap on the contact name and drop these in the Group name.
Q3. How many people can participate in a Group Chat?
The iMessage app of Apple can accommodate up to 25 participants.
- Fix iPhone Overheating and Won’t Turn On
- Fix Windows 10 Not Recognizing iPhone
- 12 Ways to Fix iPhone Storage Full Issue
- Fix Could Not Sign in to iMessage or FaceTime
We hope you were able to understand how to send a group text on iPhone and use it to send group texts, rename a group and leave a group text on iPhone. If you have any queries or suggestions, drop them in the comment section.