AOL, formerly known as America Online, is a digital media company that runs several online businesses, including websites, search engines, email services, internet connectivity, technical assistance 24×7, and much more. At first, when it started, AOL used to provide internet connectivity service in the US along with email service. As their business started growing, they expanded it to search engines and websites. If you are one of the users who have an AOL internet connection at their place and want to know about the current plans and the change in service offered by AOL, this article is for you. It will guide you in steps on how to stop paying for AOL but keep Email and how much does an AOL email account cost. Also, you will learn whether you can keep your AOL email address for free and how to change your AOL email to a free account.
Table of Contents
- How to Stop Paying for AOL but Keep Email
- Is AOL Charging for Email Service?
- How Much Does an AOL Email Account Cost?
- Why is AOL Charging You Monthly?
- Can You Keep Your AOL Email Address for Free?
- How to Stop Paying for AOL but Keep Email?
- How Do You Change Your AOL Email to a Free Account?
- When Did AOL Stop Charging for Email?
- Can You Transfer Your AOL Account to Gmail?
- What Happens If You Delete Your AOL Email Account?
- Is AOL Shutting Down?
How to Stop Paying for AOL but Keep Email
Keep reading further to find the steps explaining how to stop paying for AOL but keep email in detail with useful illustrations for better understanding.
Is AOL Charging for Email Service?
No, AOL isn’t charging and doesn’t charge for email service as they have kept it completely free for all users. Before 2006, AOL used to charge monthly to their customers for using email services. But after 2006, they decided to give the service for free. AOL does charge monthly for dial-up connections, technical assistance, and several other services but not for the email service. And this happened due to the competition rising from other providers, like Google and Yahoo which provide it for free.
How Much Does an AOL Email Account Cost?
AOL email account is completely free for all. AOL only charges for their dial-up connections and other services that are totally dependent on the plan you’ve purchased.
- For $25.90 per month, you can get a premium account where you’ll get all the premium benefits and services offered by them.
- For $11.99 per month, you’ll get AOL with security software and dial-up service, and 24×7 technical support for connectivity and security issues.
- For $9.99 per month, you’ll get the same services as of $11.99 but with limited technical support that will only assist with connectivity issues.
This is how much does an AOL email account cost.
Also Read: How Much are 1000 Dollars in Robux?
Why is AOL Charging You Monthly?
If you’ve signed up for AOL and have purchased the paid service, it will charge you monthly depending on the price of the plan.
Can You Keep Your AOL Email Address for Free?
Yes, you can keep your AOL email address for free. Even if you’ve canceled your AOL dial-up and are still connected to the internet via another provider, you can still be able to use AOL software, email, and several other services for free. These are some services that AOL provides for free to their users. But it wasn’t free until 2006 before users have to pay monthly for the email service.
How to Stop Paying for AOL but Keep Email?
To know how to stop paying for AOL but keep Email, just follow these steps:
1. Visit the AOL Sign in page on your browser.
2. Enter your Username, phone number, or email address and click on Next.
3. Enter your password and click on Next.
4. Hover on MY SERVICES and click on Subscriptions.
5. Click on Manage next to your subscription plan.
6. Click on Change Plan.
7. Review the confirmation page.
8. Scroll down to the bottom and click on Cancel My Billing.
9. Select the desired reason for cancellation.
Now, you no longer need to pay for AOL and your AOL email is also active. This is how to stop paying for AOL but keep Email.
Also Read: How to Recover Your Old AOL Email
How Do You Change Your AOL Email to a Free Account?
After knowing how to stop paying for AOL but keep Email, to change your AOL email to a free account, just follow these steps:
Note: Make sure you already have an AOL account.
1. Go to the AOL Sign in page and Sign in to your account with account credentials.
2. Hover over the MY SERVICES tab from the left pane.
3. Then, click on Subscriptions.
4. Click on Manage > Change Plan.
5. Then, review the confirmation page.
6. Click on Cancel My Billing and select the desired reason.
You’ve now successfully changed your AOL email to a free account.
Also Read: How to Verify Waze Email Account
When Did AOL Stop Charging for Email?
In 2006, somewhere in the summer, AOL stopped charging for email. Before 2006, AOL customers have to pay for the email service as the use of email was not often and the internet was not readily available to people. Whereas after 2006, AOL completely removed charges for email and offered the email service for free to their customers.
Can You Transfer Your AOL Account to Gmail?
Yes, you can transfer your AOL account to Gmail. For that, you will have to transfer all your emails and contacts from your AOL account to your Gmail.
What Happens If You Delete Your AOL Email Account?
When you delete your AOL email account, data associated with your account, like your email address, password, and other data will be erased permanently and you no longer be able to access your account. When you request deletion first, your account gets deactivated for 30 days. And within this period, if you ever want to get back your account, you can just sign in to it from the official website.
Note: The hold periods are different for different countries. For Australia, India, and New Zealand, that period is 90 days. And for Brazil, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, it’s 180 days.
Is AOL Shutting Down?
No, AOL is not shutting down. Despite the rumors indicating that it will be shut down, there’s no official confirmation from the company and the owners. The chances of AOL shutting down are almost zero. Also, the company is doing well, not facing any major loss in its business, and the services are also running smoothly. Even after the change of ownership to Verizon, it hasn’t negatively affected AOL. However, Verizon decided to shut down its in-house email service for internet subscribers and migrate them to AOL email service.
- What is Life Time Fitness Founders Membership?
- Can Two Facebook Accounts Have the Same Email?
- How to Login to AOL Mail in Windows 10
- What is the Difference Between an Outlook & Hotmail Account?
So, we hope you have understood how to stop paying for AOL but keep email with the detailed steps to your aid. You can let us know any queries or suggestions about any other topic you want us to make an article on. Drop them in the comments section below for us to know.