Instagram provides a platform to connect with friends and family. There is a feature on Instagram that allows finding contact with the help of a phone number or usernames. However, you may want to stay private and don’t want your contacts to find your account on Instagram using your phone number. If your phone number is in someone else’s contact book, then they can easily find you on Instagram. Moreover, Instagram also displays your profile to the users as ‘suggested for you,’ if they have your phone number in their contact list.
You may be wondering how to remove your phone number from Instagram? Well, you can easily remove your phone number from your Instagram to keep your account hidden from users who have your phone number in their contact book. Therefore, to help you out, we have a small guide that you can follow if you wish to remove your phone number.
- 3 Ways to Remove Phone Number from Instagram
- Reasons to remove your phone number from Instagram
- Method 1: Unlink Phone Number from Instagram Account on Instagram app
- Method 2: Unlink Phone Number from Instagram Account on Web Version
- Method 3: Alternative to Disconnect Contacts from Instagram
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
3 Ways to Remove Phone Number from Instagram
Reasons to remove your phone number from Instagram
If you have a public account on Instagram and don’t want your family members to find your account using your phone number, then the best solution is unlinking your phone number. Another reason for removing your phone number is to prevent random users from stalking your profile as you may have made a payment for something using Google pay or Paytm, and someone may use your phone number to search your profile on Instagram.
Before we mention the method for removing your phone number from your Instagram account, it is essential that you know that if you unlink your phone number from your Instagram account, you will not be able to find contacts on Instagram from your contact list.
Moreover, if you ever forget your password, you will not be able to recover it using your phone number. Therefore, before proceeding with the method, make sure you are adding an email address in case you forget your password. Follow this method to unlink your phone number from your Instagram account:
1. Open Instagram on your device and log in on your account, if you have already logged in on your account, move to the next step.
2. Tap on the Profile icon from the bottom-right of the screen.
3. Tap on Edit Profile below the bio section.
4. Under Edit Profile, scroll down and tap on Personal Information Settings.
5. In Personal Information Settings, add an Email address if you haven’t already. After adding an email address, tap on the mobile number and remove it.
6. Tap on Next to save the changes.
7. Finally, your number will be removed from Instagram.
If you are using the Instagram platform on your desktop or laptop and don’t know how to remove the phone number from Instagram, you may follow these steps:
1. Open the web browser and type www.instagram.com in the search bar and Log in to your account by using your username and password. You can also connect using Facebook.
2. After logging in to your account, click on your profile icon from the top-right corner of the screen.
3. Now, select the Profile section from the drop-down menu.
4. Click on Edit Profile from the top.
5. Scroll down and click on the phone number box then clear your phone number from the text box.
6. After removing the number, click on the Submit button.
When you click on the Submit button, Instagram will unlink your phone number from your account.
Also Read: How to See Who Views Your Instagram Profile
Method 3: Alternative to Disconnect Contacts from Instagram
You have the option to disconnect syncing contacts with your Instagram. You can follow these steps for this method:
1. Open the Instagram app on your device. Login to your account by using your username and password then Tap on the Profile icon from the bottom-right corner of the screen.
2. Tap on the three horizontal lines or the Hamburger icon from the top.
3. Scroll down and tap on Discover People.
4. Tap on Not Now when you see a pop-up. Now, locate the ‘Connect Contacts‘ option then turn off the toggle for the ‘Connect‘ option.
However, when you disconnect syncing your contacts on Instagram, it will remove the previous synced contact info from Instagram.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. How do I remove my phone number from Instagram 2021?
You can easily remove your phone number from Instagram after adding an email address. If you are not linking your email address, you will not be able to remove your phone number. Therefore, head to Instagram > click on your Profile icon > Edit Profile > Personal Information Settings > add the email address. After adding an email address, you can easily remove your phone number by clearing the text box.
Q2. Why can’t I remove my phone number from Instagram?
If you cannot remove your phone number, you can try to remove it from the web version. There may be some glitch on the phone app if you are unable to remove your phone number. Therefore, open Instagram on your desktop or laptop and go to your profile section by clicking on your profile icon. In your profile section, click on Edit Profile to remove your phone number from there.
- How To Add Multiple Photos To One Instagram Story?
- How To Fix Instagram Keeps Crashing
- Fix Snapchat Notifications Not Working
- How To Check If Your Phone Supports 4G Volte?
We understand that keeping your profile away from stalkers can be a task when anyone can find your profile using your phone number. We hope this guide was helpful, and you were able to remove your phone number from Instagram. If you still have any queries feel free to ask them in the comment section.
Pete is a Senior staff writer at TechCult. Pete loves all things technology and is also an avid DIYer at heart. He has a decade of experience writing how-tos, features, and technology guides on the internet.