Designs and details make a difference when creating a presentation or infographic. Would you not want your project to appear more clean, structured, and informative? Well, all you need is to use tables, where you can properly organize and present statistical data. Canva is used in professional sectors, where users rely on table templates for their presentation slides. In today’s blog, we will show you how to insert and edit a table in Canva. Let’s get started with it.
How to Insеrt Tablе in Canva
Canva is not a new name among popular online graphic design tools. It’s a one-stop destination for social media graphics, posters, flyers, brochures, and whatnot. Apart from its user-friendly interface, the wide variety of templates & elements help individuals and businesses to design their visual materials, even if they are new to the field. Among others is creating a table that makes your content reflect professionalism and clarity. Follow the steps to add it:
1. Open Canva, click on Crеatе a dеsign at the top-right corner and select the type of project from the drop-down menu.
2. In the left sidebar, click on Elements and search for Tables in the search bar.
3. Select a table element from the search results as preferred. It will be added to your project.
How to Crеate Custom Tablеs in Canva
Well, if you do not find a suitable pre-made Table element in the Canva library, why not just create and insert your own? You can do that easily on Canva. Let’s go through the methods.
Method 1: Use Square or Rectangle Element
Tables are usually made of square or rectangular-shaped cells. You can use them to make one as required. It looks more attractive as well as you can edit each cell individually.
1. Open a Canva project, click on Elеmеnts, and search for Square or Rectangle elements.
2. Add your preferred square or rectangle element to your design.
3. Once added, click on the element within the design and then on the Duplicate icon. It will create a duplicate of that element.
4. Drag and arrange the duplicate element within the design and repeat the steps to create your table.
Method 2: Use Lines Element
Lines give you a chance to create more cool-looking tables as you can use dotted lines, or arrows, thick or thin as preferred. Follow the steps
1. Search for the Line element in the Elements search bar and choose your preferred one from the results.
2. Move the line to the desired position and drag it from one side to expand as preferred.
3. Click on the Duplicate icon to create one, resize it, and arrange its position.
4. Click on the Rotate icon to rotate the lines horizontally or vertically. Repeat until you finally create a table.
Note: Canva also shows the degree of rotation, so make sure to rotate the lines to exactly 90 degrees for straight vertical and 180 degrees for straight horizontal lines.
Also Read: How to Add Texture in Canva
Method 3: Use Calendar Element
There are many calendar elements or templates as well which you can use as tables, especially if you need something to make your time-table or any such material.
1. Search for a Calendar element and sеlеct your preferred one from the search results.
You can also use pre-made Calendar templates.
1. Move to the Design tab, search for Calendar, and add your preferred design to the project sheet.
2. Select the element you want to remove and click on the Delete icon.
How to Edit Tablеs in Canva
Being able to edit the table, even if you inserted a pre-made one gives you flexibility over designs. You can change its size, the color of cells, the style and color of borders, and much more on Canva. Let’s see how.
Option 1: Change Size of Table
When you insert a table element from the Canva library, it might not always be the right fit for your project. Here’s how you can change its size:
1. After inserting the table element into your project, click on it.
2. Click on one of the corners from where you want to increase or decrease its size and drag the cursor.
Option 2: Change Color of Cells
You can even change the color of individual cells as per your need and likeability. Follow the steps below:
1. Click on a cеll within thе tablе whose color you want to change.
2. On the top right, click on the No Fill (Color) icon as shown.
3. Now from the left pane, choose any color you want to fill within the cell. You can also choose gradients if solid colors are not your thing.
4. Repeat the same steps to change the color of the other cells of the table.
Option 3: Change Style and Color of Borders
Colorful cells in a black-bordered table do not look very attractive though, isn’t it? Let’s change the color of the borders of the table. Follow the steps:
1. Open Canva and click the table in your project to select it.
2. Click on the Borders icon at the top-right and from the context menu, select the ones you want to change the color or style. For example, we have selected All borders here.
3. Click on the Borders Color icon and select the one as preferred from the color palette.
4. Now to change the style of the border, click on the Border style icon.
5. Select the style from the options. You can also increase or decrease the width of the lines using the Border weight slider.
Option 4: Adding Background Color
You can also add color to the background of the table. Follow the steps below:
1. Click and select the outer space first.
2. Click on the Background color icon at the top right and select your preferred Solid color or Gradient from the pallet.
Option 5: Adding Font to Cells
Now finally if you want to write something within the cells of the table, here’s how you can do it:
1. Click on the cell in which you want to write.
2. From the top bar, choose the Font style, size, color, and other text formatting options as preferred. Once set, start typing.
You can add texts in different cells with different fonts as well.
How to Copy and Paste a Table into Canva
Sometimes you might need to copy a table from one project on Canva and paste it on another and it is not always feasible to insert & design a new one. Well, the process is tricky but you can do it. Follow the steps:
1. Navigate to the table you want to copy.
2. Click on one cell, press Ctrl + A to select all the cells in that table, and press Ctrl + C to copy them all.
3. Now, move to the other project, right-click on the blank space, and select Paste from the context menu, or simply press Ctrl + V.
You can even copy tables from external sources, such as Word documents, or Excel sheets, and paste them directly into your project on Canva.
How to Adjust Height of Rows in a Table in Canva
In case you want to increase or decrease the height of any particular row or column in a table on Canva, follow the steps below:
1. Click on one edge of the row or column you want to modify the height.
2. When the double-sided arrow icon appears, left-click the mouse, keep it pressed, and drag it as preferred to increase or decrease.
There’s another way, where you can adjust the height of the rows/columns based on the content within it.
1. Once the cells are filled with the required content, right-click on the table.
2. Click on the three-dots icon at the border and opt for Sizе row to contеnt or Sizе row to contеnt from the context menu.
How to Merge Cells in a Table in Canva
Now if you want to merge the content of two or more cells into one, here’s an easy way to do so:
1. Navigate to the table and click on the cell you want to merge.
2. Press Shift on the keyboard and select the other cell. Similarly, you can select multiple cells you want to merge.
3. Now right-click on any of the cells and select Merge cells from the context menu.
Also Read: Top 21 Best Alternatives to Adobe InDesign
How to Add, Delete, and Move Rows & Columns to a Table in Canva
Modification of rows and columns becomes extremely important when working on a project. You can easily do the same on Canva.
Option 1: Add Rows & Columns
If you need to add extra rows or columns to a table in your project on Canva, follow the steps:
1. Open the project and right-click on the table.
2. Select Add column or Add row as required.
Option 2: Delete Rows & Columns
Follow the steps to remove unrequited rows and columns from a table:
1. Click on the row/column you want to dеlеtе.
2. Click on thrее dots (Morе) at the edge and select Dеlеtе row or Dеlеtе column from the context menu.
Option 3: Move Rows and Columns
1. Right-click on any cell of the row or column that you want to change the position of.
2. Select the appropriate option – Move column right, Move column left, Move row up, and Move row down.
Canvas usеr-friеndly intеrfacе with lots of customization options. We hope our guide helped you insert a table in Canva for your projects and edit them as per your likeability. If you have any queries or suggestions for us, do let us know in the comments section. Stay tuned to TechCult for more such informative guides.